Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is ESO a sandbox or it is just another stupid theme park but with TES lore

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Umm....ahhhh.........................the second one..

Joined - July 2004

• GrathkarGrathkar Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Simple thing dont like it ?  so  dont play it . Stop  talking crap loads . If  you dont  like it  why do you  speak  like ''bla  bla ''  butt  hurt ?
  • JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Grathkar
    Simple thing dont like it ?  so  dont play it . Stop  talking crap loads . If  you dont  like it  why do you  speak  like ''bla  bla ''  butt  hurt ?

you tell 'em grathkar!!!

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Why would ESO be a sandbox? -The single player Elder Scrolls games aren't.

Like when?

Modders ensure that the main questline isn't what you'll follow. :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Its a true sandbox.

You can move forward, backwards, left and right... and even shoot arrows!

Did I mention you can choose to do quests or not?

You can kill mobs all the way to max level and never have to worry about quests! AWESOM-O!

Reported!!1

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Instead of creating a new thread in the pub forums, you could have just went to the ESO forums here and read the dozens of threads that  already exist  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/1326/General-Discussion.html
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Zaradoom
    Originally posted by eric1000

The short and dirty anwser is: It is a themepark.

It is very close to WoW in my experience watching reviews.

Translation:

I haven't played it or spent any time with it whatsoever but I have watched or read all the reviews and believe every word, even from those that contradict each other and I have decided that it's another WoW clone.

Fact:

ESO is a themepark with a number of sandbox elements but nowhere near enough to be called a sandbox.  I enjoyed playing it but I don't like WoW, take from that what you wish.

I did play it sadly.

I could not force myself trough enough to get as far as some reviewers managed. All i saw was themepark, all i watched in videos was a themepark. And all that also screamed carbon copy of wow. We have enough copys of that game already. I really wonder why companies still try to copy it even tho every single try failed.

Oh sure, you can mix and match some skills... that one is differend. You also can only use 5 skills at a time, making it even more mind numbing, and you get one more alliance... the rest is a straight up copy with a differend lore.

If you "played" it like you claim, you wouldn't be calling it a "carbon copy of WoW". First of all, combat is reticle and action based. Secondly, any class can use any weapon and armor. Third, there is no treadmill gear grinding raids at the end. Fourth, the pace at which you level is greatly slowed (which is actually a good thing for those of us who don't want to blow through the leveling process like it's a punishment you take for wanting to endgame raid). Those are just the four GLARING differences that I can see so far. You might as well have said Halo was a carbon copy of ET for the Atari 2600.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by funyahns
     Its obviously an open world sandbox. Whatever decisions you make in game are going to have huge ramifications.

No body got the sarcasm!!! image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

100% themepark. 

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Complete themepark.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by immodium
    EDIT: I'm not trying to make ESO a sound like a sandbox game. Like someone else mentioned ES games are not sandbox. Going anywhere in the game world is not a sandbox element IMO.
    And you can NOT go anywhere, anytime in this game. It is NOT even "open world", unless folks consider the REQUIREMENT of level 50 as open world.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra

Translation:

I haven't played it or spent any time with it whatsoever but I have watched or read all the reviews and believe every word, even from those that contradict each other and I have decided that it's another WoW clone.

Fact:

ESO is a themepark with a number of sandbox elements but nowhere near enough to be called a sandbox.  I enjoyed playing it but I don't like WoW, take from that what you wish.

I did play it sadly.

I could not force myself trough enough to get as far as some reviewers managed. All i saw was themepark, all i watched in videos was a themepark. And all that also screamed carbon copy of wow. We have enough copys of that game already. I really wonder why companies still try to copy it even tho every single try failed.

Oh sure, you can mix and match some skills... that one is differend. You also can only use 5 skills at a time, making it even more mind numbing, and you get one more alliance... the rest is a straight up copy with a differend lore.

If you "played" it like you claim, you wouldn't be calling it a "carbon copy of WoW". First of all, combat is reticle and action based. Secondly, any class can use any weapon and armor. Third, there is no treadmill gear grinding raids at the end. Fourth, the pace at which you level is greatly slowed (which is actually a good thing for those of us who don't want to blow through the leveling process like it's a punishment you take for wanting to endgame raid). Those are just the four GLARING differences that I can see so far. You might as well have said Halo was a carbon copy of ET for the Atari 2600.

You're being ironic, right?

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

While ESO is not as sandbox as EVE, nor is it as themepark as WoW, it is a nice balance between both sandbox and themepark, 

1. Quest are not focused around "hubs". They are scattered around the world. Sure occasionally you pick up a few in town, but you don't have to go from town to town. 

2. The main story is not forced upon you. You can do it, and follow it's path or you can put it off. 

It really is an mmo elder scroll game, minus modding, which would never work in any decent MMO. 

Does it have flaws, yup, tell me a game that doesn't or didn't. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

themepark.

For those who dont know a good 'smell test' is to try and play a game without doing quests. If its not a realistic experience then its not a sandbox. Quests can be in a sandbox but if its not truely optional then you have a problem

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Well the PVE is quest driven so it's a themepark.  PvP in any game is sandbox.
  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra

Translation:

Fact:

I did play it sadly.

You're being ironic, right?

Considering Elder Scrolls existed before WoW, no. It's success is their offline RPG games that are highly modded by players themselves. Something no MMO game allows, especially WoW.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by Giffen

Just because PVE has quests, doesnt make it themepark. PVP does not equate sandbox either.

People are just ignorant to what themepark and sandbox really mean.

Originally posted by fs23otm
    Originally posted by Giffen

Just because PVE has quests, doesnt make it themepark. PVP does not equate sandbox either.

People are just ignorant to what themepark and sandbox really mean.

no if quests are required for PVE play then it is.

Basically if you must do a quest to unlock content or progress as a character vs doing it another way then its a sandbox.

Sorry bro

• himodshimods Member Posts: 54
    It's 100% themepark, no amount of 'bhutbhut it has these sandboxy elements' bullshit will change that.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Pure Sandbox >>> EQN-landmarks , not EQN but landmarks.

Elder scrolls (theme) online = Theme + park (place to have play).

Sandbox element mean  game allow player create in game objects (sand castle) through in game materials (sand).

When it sandbox stand alone , it mean building game like playing LEGO .

• Cures80Cures80 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Gladly its a themepark - as "sandbox games"  tend to fail miserably and pull in all sorts of strange people (look at OP and most answers here). TESO will be a very oldschoolish MMO in its best sense.
    Originally posted by Cures80
    Gladly its a themepark - as "sandbox games"  tend to fail miserably and pull in all sorts of strange people (look at OP and most answers here). TESO will be a very oldschoolish MMO in its best sense.

I would not argue that sandbox games are a smaler set of the industry but I would hardly call them a failure.

The largest problem with real sandbox MMOs as the moment is the PvP FFA focus. To few options for a sanbox experience without FFA at that moment.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by gxizhe

Need answer!!!!!

This kind of affects whether or not I will be playing this game!

It is a themepark on a beach...

Now go and have fun... it is an order... these tickets were expensive.

This have been a good conversation

• akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Hmm not sandbox but does have done Sandy elements. Like the flexible method of going beyond your class.

Pretty much this tbh. It's not a 100% sandbox, but there is elements too it which scream sandbox more than themepark.

Originally posted by akathos

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar Hmm not sandbox but does have done Sandy elements. Like the flexible method of going beyond your class.
    Pretty much this tbh. It's not a 100% sandbox, but there is elements too it which scream sandbox more than themepark.

For me the word 'class' and the word 'sandbox' can not co-exist together.
    That said this is my opnion less so then my stance on quest dependent systems.

This discussion has been closed.