Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new era for mmo gaming-no grinding in elders scrolls online.

Comments

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    hope ya'll like fed-ex.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

there is no grinding in the game what I have seen,its small little quests like skyrim.

this makes the game fun,i hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

grinding quests is still grinding people would say.  

but honestly the idea of "grinding mobs" has been largely gone from MMOs for about 10 years now.  Ever since EQ2 and WoW launched, the "go to the next quest hub and do the quests to level" has been the primary levelling method in pretty much every major release:   LoTRO, Vanguard, AoC,  SWTOR, AoC, etc, etc.  All games where you levelled primarily by just doing quest after quest instead of killing a thousand hecklers. 

You clearly weren't there for AoC launch...  Past level 50, the only thing to do with grind mob spawns.  The end of the game was largely unfinished and a compete buggy mess.  Wow had plenty of grinding mobs, in the form of reputation.  You'd have to spend potentially months grinding mobs for exalted reputation.

So.. maybe you shouldn't have listed those games.  In fact, your point is now rendered false, and is now moot.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

So based on these comments, I guess the only solution is to eliminate quests entirely from mmo's because no matter what it still revolves around talking to SOMEONE or doing SOMETHING (which means grind), and also eliminate mobs from mmo's since we shouldn't have to kill things to level up (GRIND).

So, let's institute a policy of just standing there on screen results in constant xp gain and level ups - since literally everything else is a grind and we don't want that right?   Damn even that sounds like a grind.  Let's eliminate all games!!!   Only solution!!

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by osc8r
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by Eighteen16

So instead of "kill X of these" we now have "find and talk to X people".

Sorry, but running around the map and clicking on marked people/items is just as bad, if not worse than the generic kill quests.

If ESO is the future of MMO's, i'll pass.

So you don't want to talk to people and you don't want to go anywhere. A typical valued member of an MMO community. 

Hey, if you find enjoyment in following waypoints to the next generic wall of text then more power to you!

What kind of questing do you enjoy?

Preferably quests that involve some type of risk, or at least brain activity... leisurely walking across the country side to the next 'click' waypoint (or 3) is just so monotonous.

So what mmo is it you're playing that is providing the questing you find acceptable and enjoyable?

• akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179

I love these negative responses..they're so depressing.... The people shouting quest grinding... your both right and wrong, you're right if the definition of quest grinding is doing quests repeatably to level, but at the same time your completely wrong,  ESO does something special with their quests,  people yelling OMG ITS STILL '' KILL X OF THIS OR CLICK THAT''.....JUST DISGUISED...

Please enlighten me as to what else you do in every other damn MMO other than click  and kill stuff? ESO adds a depth in quests like i've not seen yet in an MMO,  from what i've seen they have well acted voice-overs, with emotion, little details in each quest make them feel unique, you aren't hand guided by mummy to each new hub, where you sit for the next hour back and fourth, the quests are superbly done take your time if you get to play a BETA to listen and pick apart each storyline within the quests, let your eyes SEE the details.. if your just going to rush through for PVP your missing out on a massive part of the game. Just my thoughts, and just for the record I did have a negative worry on ESO until I got to try it, lets just say.... I'm very pleasantly surprised and it led to my pre-order.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22

So based on these comments, I guess the only solution is to eliminate quests entirely from mmo's because no matter what it still revolves around talking to SOMEONE or doing SOMETHING (which means grind), and also eliminate mobs from mmo's since we shouldn't have to kill things to level up (GRIND).

So, let's institute a policy of just standing there on screen results in constant xp gain and level ups - since literally everything else is a grind and we don't want that right?   Damn even that sounds like a grind.  Let's eliminate all games!!!   Only solution!!

most of these guys here complaining want a skill level system like star wars galaxies and a sandbox world that they do not quest in at all just play with lego's all day. I prefer random NPCs running up to me asking me for help or going exploring and finding a treasure map or item that starts a chain of events. I think if that cannot make some of these guys happy nothing will.

• ripailaripaila Member UncommonPosts: 13

I remember the  good ol days in Lineage 2 were you had to grind 1200 quest items for a weapon recipe that had a 60% chance of success when crafting, and the drop chance of the quest items was like 1/3. Another fun quest was for one weapon enchant, and you just needed 4000 quest items. So for me quests are more relaxing than staying in one room 3-4 hours a day killing the same mobs until you gather all what you need.

I dont understand why people complain about grinding in an mmo. If you get to end game content very fast you get bored and leave the game. Its like real life, you work hard to be the best and get all that you want.  So with grinding developers just extend the games life.

Rofl its sadly SO TRUE, think I just fell in love with you. People will hate for the sake of hating, -shrugs-

Haters gunna hate?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by cronius77

I prefer random NPCs running up to me asking me for help or going exploring and finding a treasure map or item that starts a chain of events.

That is how TESO is designed.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Not sure what games you been playing but in FFXI grinding mobs was anything but plain and simple.I could write a novel on all the various things that could happen,anything from aggro when pulling,top having a spawn back on you while fighting another mob,to having a bomb blast kill 1/2/3 party members.Good luck fighting without Dispel on a creature constantly putting up a defense buff the list goes on and on.

Now let's compare a quest,is there really any tough quests,i mean anything you feel is difficult?

If a game is simple combat like Wow,press a few icons on a hotbar and watch the Curse.com add-ons TELL you the rest then ya it might get real boring.However in FFXI we were fighting mobs 6/7/8 levels above so any links are trouble,you cannot run from a mob,it chases you forever,also if the tank or healer goes down,the party is in big trouble.

In comparison,not all but MOST quests can be and are designed to solo with no skill at all,even the party quests are usually weak sauce.

Point is old school might be gone,but is is sorely lacking,a GOOD solid game design will work for any type game as long as the combat ends up very tough and usually grouped.

Newsflash for ya:  FFXI grinding sucked.  BAD.  This game you keep comparing every current game to was one of the dullest games I've ever attempted to play.  

So maybe, just maybe, your point of view isn't always the correct one, yeah?  Maybe people have differing opinions about what makes a fun game.  And maybe your opinion isn't shared by all.  That being the case, maybe you shouldn't post only in absolutes all the time, particularly regarding your own opinions.  

He's basically saying that the majority of today's mmo content is mind-numbingly easy. I agree with him.  They are essentially interactive movies.  They hold your hand, tell you where to go, and don't give you anything challenging to go up against.  There are less and less brain-required interactions in these games.

For the FFXI combat example, he's showing how combat can be challenging and there are consequences for making mistakes.  In order to minimize these mistakes you increase you're skills through experience and use of tactics and feel a sense or accomplishment when you succeed and are rewarded.  Most of today's mmo's reward you for very little effort and dont provide an engaging experience.

The point is whats the point of a GAME if you don't have to actually PLAY it.  Of course people have differing opinions on what GAMES should be, but many people like myself and Wizardry want something that has depth, engages us, and allows us to feel a sense of mastery when we do well.  If we wan't minimally interactive entertainment, then we go watch TV or a movie. If we want to play a GAME we want one that has deeper interaction.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by cronius77

I prefer random NPCs running up to me asking me for help or going exploring and finding a treasure map or item that starts a chain of events.

That is how TESO is designed.

Yeah I know I just am trying to follow the rules somewhat and not break the nda and say a game instead of that game :P

I can't reveal much, but lets just say, particular parts of my experience,  have left me feeling incredibly accomplished.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by akathos

Rofl its sadly SO TRUE, think I just fell in love with you. People will hate for the sake of hating, -shrugs-

Haters gunna hate?

Well based on your comments I can see that you lack imagination in what games can offer, and are satisfied with bland experiences.

Of course quests are gonna be quests and have to start somehow, but how about offering a variety of quests that have you interact or fight in different ways to complete them.  Running from person to person and clicking on them is not an interesting quest. Well interesting is subjective but its lack of complexity is not.

I advocate for more challenging enemies, and maybe protecting npcs, or puzzle type quests.  TSW was great in this sense.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

Originally posted by Randallt3mp
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Not sure what games you been playing but in FFXI grinding mobs was anything but plain and simple.I could write a novel on all the various things that could happen,anything from aggro when pulling,top having a spawn back on you while fighting another mob,to having a bomb blast kill 1/2/3 party members.Good luck fighting without Dispel on a creature constantly putting up a defense buff the list goes on and on.

Now let's compare a quest,is there really any tough quests,i mean anything you feel is difficult?

If a game is simple combat like Wow,press a few icons on a hotbar and watch the Curse.com add-ons TELL you the rest then ya it might get real boring.However in FFXI we were fighting mobs 6/7/8 levels above so any links are trouble,you cannot run from a mob,it chases you forever,also if the tank or healer goes down,the party is in big trouble.

In comparison,not all but MOST quests can be and are designed to solo with no skill at all,even the party quests are usually weak sauce.

Point is old school might be gone,but is is sorely lacking,a GOOD solid game design will work for any type game as long as the combat ends up very tough and usually grouped.

Newsflash for ya:  FFXI grinding sucked.  BAD.  This game you keep comparing every current game to was one of the dullest games I've ever attempted to play.  

So maybe, just maybe, your point of view isn't always the correct one, yeah?  Maybe people have differing opinions about what makes a fun game.  And maybe your opinion isn't shared by all.  That being the case, maybe you shouldn't post only in absolutes all the time, particularly regarding your own opinions.  

He's basically saying that the majority of today's mmo content is mind-numbingly easy. I agree with him.  They are essentially interactive movies.  They hold your hand, tell you where to go, and don't give you anything challenging to go up against.  There are less and less brain-required interactions in these games.

For the FFXI combat example, he's showing how combat can be challenging and there are consequences for making mistakes.  In order to minimize these mistakes you increase you're skills through experience and use of tactics and feel a sense or accomplishment when you succeed and are rewarded.  Most of today's mmo's reward you for very little effort and dont provide an engaging experience.

The point is whats the point of a GAME if you don't have to actually PLAY it.  Of course people have differing opinions on what GAMES should be, but many people like myself and Wizardry want something that has depth, engages us, and allows us to feel a sense of mastery when we do well.  If we wan't minimally interactive entertainment, then we go watch TV or a movie. If we want to play a GAME we want one that has deeper interaction.

I can agree with your statements here somewhat myself but im kinda polar opposite of what I want in a game. When I just busted my ass all day at work and want to come home and relax listen to two screaming toddlers I do not want the games I play to be hard core like wow heroic raiding , though when Im in the mood for something very challenging I like that option to be in game. I like to relax, hear a good story and get lost a few hours in a mmorpg world and enjoy my evenings. Not be stressed out spending all night long trying to beat one npc that is ridiculously hard to kill or spamming a channel trying to find a group because every single thing is group content. I guess you can call me casual but I play daily for a few hours a night etc. Hell even my favorite survival sandbox 7 days to die is not hard where you just get frustrated etc.

My point is some people play games for story and interaction but without huge challenges all the time as that to some of us is like having a second job etc. Challenges should be there for those that want them but the entire game should not be hardcore all the time and obviously ESO devs felt the same way.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by spizz
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect

I hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

It's still there, it's just disguised. Instead of kill 3 undead, you have kill ghost of hate, ghost of terror and ghost of fear. Instead of collect 5 pretzels, you have put out 5 fires. Both quests work in exactly the same way as their predecessor - kill quest and click quest.

But it is a big difference if you have quest where it says you have to kill 5x rats or 10x whatever and this quiete often as quest content. Now compare this to "put out 5 fires" or defuse "traps" but you have to fight your way through or sneak around it since you did enter enemy territory.

You cant compare both, one is just plain and simple and the other methode has immersion and doesnt feel that simple.

Illusion of immersion and challenge, gw2 did the same thing, basically it is all the same. same candy in a different packet. still the same quest hub but it does not explicitly tells us that it is the quest hub, gives the illusion that we can forget about doing any quests for xp or cash because they have RvsR pvp which gives plenty of xp and plenty of cash. well you can continue to argue as much as you like, same as gw2 fans did but it all boils down to  "same old-same old in a new fluff skin", but for ESO it is "Elder Scrolls Skin".

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by cronius77Yeah I know I just am trying to follow the rules somewhat and not break the nda and say
    a game instead of that game :P

Sure, I was just trying to point out in regards to topic that TESO is at least intending to divert from quest grinding(mindless, mundane, repetitive tasks) and quest hubs.

How it will pan out and how it will fit to each own is yet to be seen and experienced.

SWTOR and TESO are shining examples how even big companies are making serious effort to provide inovation. Both games are focused on story telling, yet each is done very differently.

• TalinthisTalinthis Member UncommonPosts: 26

It's still there, it's just disguised. Instead of kill 3 undead, you have kill ghost of hate, ghost of terror and ghost of fear. Instead of collect 5 pretzels, you have put out 5 fires. Both quests work in exactly the same way as their predecessor - kill quest and click quest.

agreed, because the game would not exist otherwise. what other model do people expect? travelling the world as a diplomat using only words as your weapon?

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

Just wait for the WoW  Warlords of Draenor expansion this summer. Brand new players can get instant max level 90 character!

Now that's what i call a no grind POWER level!

Until you get to end game then you grind out dungeons for shiny new gear. What a waste of time that is.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Talinthis

agreed, because the game would not exist otherwise. what other model do people expect? travelling the world as a diplomat using only words as your weapon?

Why not? Game designers should think of other things to do instead of killing whatever, talking to whoever and carrying whichever.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

It's very story driven and, as such, more than any other type of game in the genre, you get out of it what you put into it. If you invest yourself into the quests and the voice overs and the scenery you'll likely find yourself immersed and transported- and ultimately entertained and satisfied.

You won't think it's grindy because you aren't looking at what you're doing as completing individual goals over and over in an attempt to rush to end game, but experiencing a vast, multifaceted storyline of epic proportions with you as the star protagonist. 

However, if you treat the game like WoW, or really, like most other mmo's, and are only focused on the endgame, spamming the '1' key to get through the dialogue as quickly as possible, you will in all likelihood HATE this game (unless you are solely into it for the pvp- then you'll only hate the first 10 lvls). 

Go watch some of the play-throughs. Quests in the middle of nowhere, items and npcs that don't light up, damage numbers don't show on mobs: the devs have done everything in their power to make you forget that it's a game and to get you to explore and build the immersion factor. Yet, there are a lot of people that don't want to do that (and arguably shouldn't feel forced into it) and they will no doubt consider the pve solo portion of the game a punishment and despise the amount of cutscenes. For them, ESO is insanely grindy. 

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Eighteen16

So instead of "kill X of these" we now have "find and talk to X people".

Sorry, but running around the map and clicking on marked people/items is just as bad, if not worse than the generic kill quests.

If ESO is the future of MMO's, i'll pass.

So you don't want to talk to people and you don't want to go anywhere. A typical valued member of an MMO community. 

Hey, if you find enjoyment in following waypoints to the next generic wall of text then more power to you! 

Have you found the side quests scattered across the map? I do

Have you found the puzzle quests? I do

I see that you won't find them, because you're just following waypoints of the main quest.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

there is no grinding in the game what I have seen,its small little quests like skyrim.

this makes the game fun,i hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

but honestly the idea of "grinding mobs" has been largely gone from MMOs for about 10 years now.  Ever since EQ2 and WoW launched, the "go to the next quest hub and do the quests to level" has been the primary levelling method in pretty much every major release:   LoTRO, Vanguard, AoC,  SWTOR, AoC, etc, etc.  All games where you levelled primarily by just doing quest after quest instead of killing a thousand hecklers. 

Quest grinding is even more boring than the old school grind.

SWG had the best grind system. Running missions and killing lairs of critters. Far less boring than the run-around- the- entire-map- questing grind that every MMO has today.

At least give players the option to grind old school instead of forcing them into questing.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Quest grinding is even more boring than the old school grind.

SWG had the best grind system. Running missions and killing lairs of critters. Far less boring than the run-around- the- entire-map- questing grind that every MMO has today.

At least give players the option to grind old school instead of forcing them into questing.

So now doing quests is grinding.

See? This is how it goes in the MMO community. "Grinding" used to mean purposefully going to an area and killg stuff for gold or mats. Now, anything you do more than once is grinding. Even of most of the quests are different and havee a story behind them....if you read that is.

If people that reply with "Wall 'O Text"...that means they don't care enough in the first place.

Jeebus people...are you telling me your ideal MMO is just some big world with no quests or mobs and where all you do is PvP? Have fun with that.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

No grinding in mmorpg means that I wont play it for more than a month or two :) If I want game with no grind and only story I would play single players game but I do not.

I play mmorpg for progression and I enjoy grind. Well whatever :D Wildstar is my horse I am betting on anyway

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

Totally.  Eso have no grind just like every single other mmorpg that dont' have grind till lvl10

I guess you already hit max level.  And have done those endgame content for a few month already to judge it.