Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new era for mmo gaming-no grinding in elders scrolls online.

Comments

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I havent played any mmorpgs yet ( Ive played many) that there hasnt been multiple ways to go about when you "progress" your character. Theres always been quests, mobs, dungeons, raids, exploration etc. Or just using the abilities you want to skill up in anyways you want. Now if werent not supposed to progress our characters this way how bout telling us the solution so we and all the game develepors can take part if your knowledge and set the force to balance ones more..!

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688
    Originally posted by Eighteen16
    Originally posted by osc8r

So instead of "kill X of these" we now have "find and talk to X people".

Sorry, but running around the map and clicking on marked people/items is just as bad, if not worse than the generic kill quests.

If ESO is the future of MMO's, i'll pass.

So you don't want to talk to people and you don't want to go anywhere. A typical valued member of an MMO community. 

Hey, if you find enjoyment in following waypoints to the next generic wall of text then more power to you!

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Sorry, but running around the map and clicking on marked people/items is just as bad, if not worse than the generic kill quests.

So you don't want to talk to people and you don't want to go anywhere. A typical valued member of an MMO community. 

Hey, if you find enjoyment in following waypoints to the next generic wall of text then more power to you!

What kind of questing do you enjoy? You have a lot of opinions but offer nothing like most people here.

Originally posted by Fearum

What kind of questing do you enjoy?

Preferably quests that involve some type of risk, or at least brain activity... leisurely walking across the country side to the next 'click' waypoint (or 3) is just so monotonous.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

Quests give you a reason to kill mobs. Mobs will give exp and drop loot, sometimes unusual or even rare goods, you never know. The magic is right there.

Now, take away all reasons to kill mobs, let them not to drop anything useful, and replace it with VO'ed story with video clips and reward a player with some gold and exp at the end of movie. Congratulations, you've just ruined an mmo.

I understand there are lots of different tastes and play styles, but mobs are the very essence of mmorpgs. Everything you do in an mmorpg is about gaining power to challenge bigger and meaner mobs and/or players. You gain levels, do crafting, spend talent points, purchase stuff, etc. for this reason only, and that's the way it should be.

If this part is missing or is made too easy or trivial there's not much a game to play, only the story that comes to an end sooner or later.

I can agree those older games that were only about grinding mobs all day should be the past, but so should these interactive movies we keep getting these days. I wouldn't call them even games, they are just - movies.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    Kill quests are gone. They replaced it with something worse. A new, shittier era.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    What's the point really. Everything can be reduced to grinding and repetitive gameplay.  I'm ok with those type of quests as long as it's not the only type of quests. In fact I think it's great to have some mindless kill quests to test out new things in combat. What's the point of having all the options of combat abilities if you can never use them.
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     I liked the kill quests like in Everquest.  My quest was to kill all the Gnolls in Blackburrow, not 10 or 15.  I liked some of the Everquest stuff though, but you never had to do any of the quests if you didn't want too. Your best bet was to find a good group and an area with a good puller or enchanter and get to work.
  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Just wait for the WoW  Warlords of Draenor expansion this summer. Brand new players can get instant max level 90 character!

Now that's what i call a no grind POWER level!

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    If you have to go from level one to any higher level, then your grinding. It doesn't matter how, it's still a grind. But in my case, I enjoy the grind. It's once I hit top level is when I get bored with the game. But after three beta in this game, I decided I wont be playing it anyways.
  • MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

No grinding.

Just follow the arrows, click through text, follow arrows, click objectives, follow arrows, talk to someone, follow arrows, talk to someone else, Follow arrows, complete quest....Groundbreaking!

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Reading some posts... some people are really burnt out. They shouldn't be playing MMOs anymore.
  • MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Ghabbo
    Reading some posts... some people are really burnt out. They shouldn't be playing MMOs anymore.

Just the bland ones perhaps.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

Maybe you are just burnt out on forum pvp.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by funyahns

Maybe you are just burnt out on forum pvp.

Mmm... why do you say that? just curious.

Preferably quests that involve some type of risk, or at least brain activity... leisurely walking across the country side to the next 'click' waypoint (or 3) is just so monotonous.

Risk like what? I can't think of any quests in any mmorpg that really have any real risk to them. 

Brain Activity like how? Are you talking about puzzle quests? Maybe you should try TSW, they have some quests that make you think, I really didn't like the game or the quests in it but some people seem too. I don't think they would fit into ES world though.

Most quests in any game are pretty much just "boring, generic or unenjoyable" as you describe in one way or another. Just like how a book is a book and its filled with words, a quest is pretty much following a set of choices or tasks to get to an end and killing stuff or preforming an action - task is really only how it can be played out in a video game.

Risk like what? I can't think of any quests in any mmorpg that really have any real risk to them. 

Brain Activity like how? Are you talking about puzzle quests? Maybe you should try TSW, they have some quests that make you think, I really didn't like the game or the quests in it but some people seem too. I don't think they would fit into ES world though.

Most quests in any game are pretty much just "boring, generic or unenjoyable" as you describe in one way or another. Just like how a book is a book and its filled with words, a quest is pretty much following a set of choices or tasks to get to an end and killing stuff or preforming an action - task is really only how it can be played out in a video game.

It's hard to debate things like this without braking the NDA.

However, let's just say i even managed to make it to max level in neverwinter and swtor without find myself wanting to logout every 30 minutes or so to play something that wasn't quite so boring.

I guess pointing the character in the direction of the next waypoint, tapping numlock, then sitting back and watching the pretty scenery go by just isn't to my liking.

Another example: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6176681

Who knows, the game may change drastically at higher levels - i live in hope.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Seems nobody cares about the NDA anymore...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

It's hard to debate things like this without braking the NDA.

However, let's just say i even managed to make it to max level in neverwinter and swtor without find myself wanting to logout every 30 minutes or so to play something that wasn't quite so boring.

I guess pointing the character in the direction of the next waypoint, tapping numlock, then sitting back and watching the pretty scenery go by just isn't to my liking.

Another example: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6176681

Who knows, the game may change drastically at higher levels - i live in hope.

What does NDA have to do with anything? I'm not debating anything about the game with you, I'm trying to get you to explain what you are talking about in your other post which you can use any example even a made up one about quests with real risks and quests that make you think.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by spizz
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

I hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

It's still there, it's just disguised. Instead of kill 3 undead, you have kill ghost of hate, ghost of terror and ghost of fear. Instead of collect 5 pretzels, you have put out 5 fires. Both quests work in exactly the same way as their predecessor - kill quest and click quest.

But it is a big difference if you have quest where it says you have to kill 5x rats or 10x whatever and this quiete often as quest content. Now compare this to "put out 5 fires" or defuse "traps" but you have to fight your way through or sneak around it since you did enter enemy territory.

You cant compare both, one is just plain and simple and the other methode has immersion and doesnt feel that simple.

Not sure what games you been playing but in FFXI grinding mobs was anything but plain and simple.I could write a novel on all the various things that could happen,anything from aggro when pulling,top having a spawn back on you while fighting another mob,to having a bomb blast kill 1/2/3 party members.Good luck fighting without Dispel on a creature constantly putting up a defense buff the list goes on and on.

Now let's compare a quest,is there really any tough quests,i mean anything you feel is difficult?

If a game is simple combat like Wow,press a few icons on a hotbar and watch the Curse.com add-ons TELL you the rest then ya it might get real boring.However in FFXI we were fighting mobs 6/7/8 levels above so any links are trouble,you cannot run from a mob,it chases you forever,also if the tank or healer goes down,the party is in big trouble.

In comparison,not all but MOST quests can be and are designed to solo with no skill at all,even the party quests are usually weak sauce.

Point is old school might be gone,but is is sorely lacking,a GOOD solid game design will work for any type game as long as the combat ends up very tough and usually grouped.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

It's still there, it's just disguised. Instead of kill 3 undead, you have kill ghost of hate, ghost of terror and ghost of fear. Instead of collect 5 pretzels, you have put out 5 fires. Both quests work in exactly the same way as their predecessor - kill quest and click quest.

But it is a big difference if you have quest where it says you have to kill 5x rats or 10x whatever and this quiete often as quest content. Now compare this to "put out 5 fires" or defuse "traps" but you have to fight your way through or sneak around it since you did enter enemy territory.

You cant compare both, one is just plain and simple and the other methode has immersion and doesnt feel that simple.

Not sure what games you been playing but in FFXI grinding mobs was anything but plain and simple.I could write a novel on all the various things that could happen,anything from aggro when pulling,top having a spawn back on you while fighting another mob,to having a bomb blast kill 1/2/3 party members.Good luck fighting without Dispel on a creature constantly putting up a defense buff the list goes on and on.

Now let's compare a quest,is there really any tough quests,i mean anything you feel is difficult?

If a game is simple combat like Wow,press a few icons on a hotbar and watch the Curse.com add-ons TELL you the rest then ya it might get real boring.However in FFXI we were fighting mobs 6/7/8 levels above so any links are trouble,you cannot run from a mob,it chases you forever,also if the tank or healer goes down,the party is in big trouble.

In comparison,not all but MOST quests can be and are designed to solo with no skill at all,even the party quests are usually weak sauce.

Point is old school might be gone,but is is sorely lacking,a GOOD solid game design will work for any type game as long as the combat ends up very tough and usually grouped.

Newsflash for ya:  FFXI grinding sucked.  BAD.  This game you keep comparing every current game to was one of the dullest games I've ever attempted to play.  

So maybe, just maybe, your point of view isn't always the correct one, yeah?  Maybe people have differing opinions about what makes a fun game.  And maybe your opinion isn't shared by all.  That being the case, maybe you shouldn't post only in absolutes all the time, particularly regarding your own opinions.  

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by arieste

there is no grinding in the game what I have seen,its small little quests like skyrim.

this makes the game fun,i hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

grinding quests is still grinding people would say.  

but honestly the idea of "grinding mobs" has been largely gone from MMOs for about 10 years now.  Ever since EQ2 and WoW launched, the "go to the next quest hub and do the quests to level" has been the primary levelling method in pretty much every major release:   LoTRO, Vanguard, AoC,  SWTOR, AoC, etc, etc.  All games where you levelled primarily by just doing quest after quest instead of killing a thousand hecklers. 

I guess I'm not allowed to discuss this without breaking NDA.

Sucks.  I'm tired of the bad talking and not being able to defend the game.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

You're describing SWTOR's quest system. Go click 3 consoles and you have to fight or sneak your way through enemy territory, then fight or sneak your way back out again. That was the extent of SWTOR's quests and we all know how well that game went down. 

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    I only speak the truth go and play the game it is not that grindy for me at least but its not perfect just like we humans,we are all flawed and so will the games be that people make at least the developers know now that we don't want to grind to mush.
  • DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346

You're describing SWTOR's quest system. Go click 3 consoles and you have to fight or sneak your way through enemy territory, then fight or sneak your way back out again. That was the extent of SWTOR's quests and we all know how well that game went down. 

It's making money and is one of the most successful mmo's out.