Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad press for ESO beta

Comments

• danisheraserdanisheraser Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by cronius77

who cares what the press says I know I dont if I like a game I play it or if it interests me then I might read some reviews but seriously who cares wth is 60 bucks anyways to evaluate it for 30 days and if you like it you stay. Or you can do like most people here on this site have done and just sign up for beta testing and try it before you buy it yourself. Its not like they ever change mechanics anymore in beta's all they are is free press for their games.

Also to the ones hating on this game so much get a life seriously do games rule your lives or something? Its pathetic to see the same posters in every single thread on this site slamming this game. We get it you do not like it what are you babies who need attention and have to scream pay attention to me? Dont play it if you hate it that much but to hear in every single thread that is ESO related the same people over and over again just hating to be hating gets annoying after awhile.

Well said.

I exactly feel the same. If you don't like, it, say it and then shut up. Not a big topic writer myself, but I often see the same people write the same shit day in and day out. It's kind of sick, and perhaps it would be healthy for some on these forums to get some help with their hate-issues.

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Member UncommonPosts: 3,140
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Smikis

wow on launch was better than eso is now, and I been playing wow since early betas, being european i  played both korean/asian and na betas, and still was better experience than eso

saying bad press is killing the game, I would say press is too forgiving considering how much eso charges, no mmorpg charges full console price ( there REALLY WAS NO MMO that charged 60$, even worse in uk where its 50 pounds.. to normal 25-35, latest final fantasy was 15.. or 20$), + sub + cash shop

Bad press is killing the game because eso droped nda for press, so according to you zenimax should lie about everything and never drop nda until launch  and trick people into buying the game...thats some good logic there

First of all you can't give bad press if there is not something there that is not right.You can JUST watch Angry Joe's and he goes into every last bit of detail about what should or should not be and most of what he says is true but not all ,some is just opinion.

I see people actually trying to say this game has a great START,well it has ONE starting point for the entire population and you MUST follow through the linear or railroad design,so NO that is NOT a good start no matter how you try to argue it.

Now on the comment of Wow being better at launch...hmmm.First of all UGLY graphics,even your player looks like a cheap cartoon.

Then if you are trying to tell me that starting in the middle of nowhere for no reason and your ONLY option is to VEE line to a yellow marker over a NPC is a great initiation into a game,,NO thanks,that is a lazy design that took Blizzard no effort.

yes i do agree that Wow would not have the same success now and for good reason,IT IS  a very weak attempt at copying a better EQ1 and EQ2.

What has changed is now press are far more knowledgeable on an entire game design,they can see for the most part the LAZY design flaws,that was not the case years ago.SO you can expect more bad press for all games,but ask yourself is it really BAD press or closer to FACTS?

Lets be fair now, WoW is ~10 years old now and you have to have an eye that appeals to that style of graphics. When we compare a game that's ~10 years old to one that's suppose to release in a month. There's no excuse about the lack of quality.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by maddog15a
    Originally posted by Xsorus
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Never rely on press to decide if you should play a game or not..

Lets be honest..Most Press players are awful at these games anyway..so i don't take anything they say with a grain of salt.

You're better off deciding your own opinion on a game you're going to play then worrying about baddies giving previews.

Of course, never agree on a single review. However, when the single review starts to become one of many all coming to similar conclusions with footage to back up their opinions. It becomes quite easy to come up with your own conclusion without having to spend 60-80 dollars on top of $14.99 monthly fees to find out that the product has failed to match your expectations.

I keep seeing people mention the monthly fee, Honestly people whining about that fee should quit gaming...Because clearly you're far to poor to be gaming.

Monthly fee's are of zero importance in determining if I play a game, hell even the box price doesn't determine if i'll buy the game or not..

If I enjoy the game, i'll pay the monthly fee, if not..Oh well...I got to play Beta..I know it might be my cup of tea, therefor I'll buy and play it..If i don't enjoy it, Oh well...

Wait, how is not wanting to waste 14.99 considered being poor? You have poor logic. I pay a monthly fee on the game I'm playing right now. Because as you said, "I enjoy it". But if you don't enjoy the product and you have to pay a monthly fee you feel bad for having wasted the money.

You don't pay a monthly fee till 30 days after the original purchase, If you've not decided in 30 days if you enjoy a game or not, You don't deserve to bitch about a monthly fee. When you buy the game, You're paying for the box fee, That is it..The monthly fee comes after 30 days, and that decides if you're willing to pay, If you pay that monthly fee, and you dislike the game already, then you're an idiot.

Seriously, chill down before you pop a blood vain. I have a right to complain about fees on a product that have proven to not be needed in order to maintain a game's life. 

You certainly do have the right to whine while being cheap...Hence why I won't stop you from doing it.

Being a smart and vocal consumer isn't cheap, and if someone is selling you something you should voice why you will or wont buy.

Yeah, otherwise companies will push more and more for more expensive products. Not because the product is expensive to produce; but because we've allowed it to inflate to those prices. That's not a good thing for the consumer. That's why we're getting the large influx in micro transactions for these games or better yet higher box prices; because we as customers have allowed the companies to continue to push forward with higher prices.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • i find most of the reviews to be terrible at best.

Most talk about boring quests..while giving the reach around to GW2 despite it having one of the most god awful boring story ever..not to mention its PVE being bloody atrocious...

If you're going to harp about TESO on anything..Talk about its Dodging System, which blows... If you try and dodge in the game, and have no stamina, you come to a complete stop...That's off putting.. and annoying as hell...

Talk about the controls... It mimics Elder Scrolls Perfectly, problem is Elder Scrolls is ass for actual combat.. and it requires setting up like DCUO did to make it playable in some regards.

Talk about the leveling speed, Its bloody slow...Way to slow for its on good, I'm all for taking some time for leveling, but it shouldn't take 2 days to get level 10+....

Whining about boring quests though is not on my list of things that make a MMO not worth playing..I can get through boring quests...Gameplay elements are what determine if I'll stick around.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,767
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by TheMaahes
    Originally posted by JJ82
    It just goes to show just how desperate fanboys are right now.

I haven't even played the game yet.

Is that a requirement to be a fanboy or hater?

IT's never been a requirement for anything.

And in my experience, there is little difference between a fanboy and a hater. In fact they are typically the same people. The hat they wear is determined by the title of the game.

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by sunblabe
    stick with lotro, bro. it for ur own good. what the press does is purely the matter of fact about the game. nothing more or less

No they don't, dude.  The press is anything but objective.  It used to be that way, but it simply isn't anymore.  Modern press outlets are nothing more than reviewers who are allowed to express their personal opinions and views about a game.  They get away with this because they use factual information about said game as evidence to enforce their opinions.  Let me give you an example:

1.  "WoW sucks because it now gives you the ability to purchase max level chartacters."

2.  "WoW is awesome now because you can purchase a max level character."

This is what the press does.

If they were being objective, they would simply say:

"WoW now provides you the ability to purchase max rank characters."

They simply don't do this.  I have not read or seen a single TESO "review" of the beta that was actually honest and objective.  I've only read personal opinions.  And that goes for the good and the bad reviews.  Still, I agree with the positive reviews because I think they're actually using better, more grounded reasoning.  And yes, there does seem to be a drive to push this game under before it even gets started.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Notimeforbs

1.  "WoW sucks because it now gives you the ability to purchase max level chartacters."

Uhm.. both of the top statements provided you with the information from your 3rd statements.  On top of that, both of those statements provided you with the additional information of the reviewers opinion of it - providing which is his job.  

If you think about, the statement can be rephrased as:

1.  "WoW now provides you the ability to purchase max rank characters and this sucks."

and

2. "WoW now provides you the ability to purchase max rank characters and this is awesome."

In effect, what you're asking for is that the person who's job it is provide you with his opinion, instead provides you ONLY with the same facts you can gleam from reading the back of the product's box.    Every single review would be identical then - "Elder Scrolls online features 10 different races!".  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by sunblabe
    stick with lotro, bro. it for ur own good. what the press does is purely the matter of fact about the game. nothing more or less

No they don't, dude.  The press is anything but objective.  It used to be that way, but it simply isn't anymore.  Modern press outlets are nothing more than reviewers who are allowed to express their personal opinions and views about a game.  They get away with this because they use factual information about said game as evidence to enforce their opinions.  Let me give you an example:

They simply don't do this.  I have not read or seen a single TESO "review" of the beta that was actually honest and objective.  I've only read personal opinions.  And that goes for the good and the bad reviews.  Still, I agree with the positive reviews because I think they're actually using better, more grounded reasoning.  And yes, there does seem to be a drive to push this game under before it even gets started.

If I'm going to agree on a review it has to be able to bring out a lot of the pros and cons within the game. Not just positive, negative, or neutral. This way I can accumulate all the pros and cons from other reviews that follow the same type of scheme so that I can analyze all of the pros and cons at once and come to my final conclusion before purchasing a product.

If a product is free however, I'll most definitely pick it up and play it. If it's good enough I'll definitely invest money into it. I've done so with many F2P games and I've easily spent my fair share of money within them.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,292
    I dont care about the reviews. I have already bought so many bad mmorpgs at launch that right now I feel like Im buying ESO no matter its good or bad. If its good I will be happy and if its bad it will be another one for the list but I'm not missing in it.
    Originally posted by arieste

Uhm.. both of the top statements provided you with the information from your 3rd statements.  On top of that, both of those statements provided you with the additional information of the reviewers opinion of it - providing which is his job.  

1.  "WoW now provides you the ability to purchase max rank characters and this sucks."

and

2. "WoW now provides you the ability to purchase max rank characters and this is awesome."

In effect, what you're asking for is that the person who's job it is provide you with his opinion, instead provides you ONLY with the same facts you can gleam from reading the back of the product's box.    Every single review would be identical then - "Elder Scrolls online features 10 different races!".  

Yeah, at that point you're not reviewing a product you're simply just reporting on it.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Actually, a lot of the ESO slamming came from people breaking NDA and crying out about how bad it was. A lot of gaming press likely IS more qualified then you. Be ignorant all you want about a game and how 'eh' its turning out to be, just don't come crying on the forums 1 month later after launch they have your money about how the game itself wasn't that great sicne you ignored the "Bad Press" and did not just wait to see how it would turn out.
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Actually, a lot of the ESO slamming came from people breaking NDA and crying out about how bad it was. A lot of gaming press likely IS more qualified then you. Be ignorant all you want about a game and how 'eh' its turning out to be, just don't come crying on the forums 1 month later after launch they have your money about how the game itself wasn't that great sicne you ignored the "Bad Press" and did not just wait to see how it would turn out.

A NDA that's confining the people playing it to only reporters and reviewers. What defines one person's opinion and reviewing skills from another? If a company says, "Only press are allowed to report on it and only show 15 minutes worth of footage" how can they possibly know the difference between the two? The answer is, you can't. Especially in a country like the United States. Where the people have the freedom of press on their side and no NDA policy is able to trump our given freedoms.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

You are forgetting that WOW was made by Blizzard - and just like Apple, there are millions of fanboys around who will buy it without even reading one review. Then there's the extravagant marketing campaigns that these two companies are renowned for.

As for ESO, it should have learnt from all the other MMO flops. Release a game too early without having Blizzard's fan base and you can guarantee it's a recipe for disaster. Combine that with chunky combat, boring quests, terrible starting area's and the same old tired MMO design... including the ancient P2P model....

They have no one else to blame at this point but themselves.

Originally posted by osc8r

You are forgetting that WOW was made by Blizzard - and just like Apple, there are millions of fanboys around who will buy it without even reading one review. Then there's the extravagant marketing campaigns that these two companies are renowned for.

As for ESO, it should have learnt from all the other MMO flops. Release a game too early without having Blizzard's fan base and you can guarantee it's a recipe for disaster. Combine that with chunky combat, boring quests, terrible starting area's and the same old tired MMO design... including the ancient P2P model....

The previews are not looking too great. However, this could all change. It's only a few opinions at the moment. It's just a large amount of negativity that's starting to become an issue for the game.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I want to talk about the part Angry Joe mentions about running quests in groups. How most don't share, if you are on a different part of the quest line, you can't group many times and do the content together. When a member is on a different part of the quest line they become invisible to others. That the worlds quests instances itself over top itself. Seeing people flocked around nothing you see as they see something different. What's up with all this? MMO should be group friendly, no?
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Originally posted by HorrorScope
    I want to talk about the part Angry Joe mentions about running quests in groups. How most don't share, if you are on a different part of the quest line, you can't group many times and do the content together. When a member is on a different part of the quest line they become invisible to others. That the worlds quests instances itself over top itself. Seeing people flocked around nothing you see as they see something different. What's up with all this? MMO should be group friendly, no?

You are talking about the SINGLE player story quests.  This is called phasing and all the new MMOs are doing it.

OMG I am Ancient!
    Originally posted by Azmodeus
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

You are talking about the SINGLE player story quests.  This is called phasing and all the new MMOs are doing it.

No, that's not true. Not all new MMOs are doing it. I also personally see phasing having one major downside to a game that's typically focused around multiplayer anyways.

and

No.  The point of the review isn't to express the writer's opinion.  The point of the review is to sway YOUR opinion as the potential buyer.  If you knew anything about Communication and Rhetoric, you would understand this.

It's one thing to say a game has features x, y, and z.  Like you say, the box can tell you that.

It's another thing to say if the game has features x, y, and z, and if they actually work the way they're supposed to, and what, if any, are the reasons behind interesting or curious design choices quoted directly from the horse's mouth.  Boxes don't tell you that.

It's something entirely different if you say the game has features x, y, and z, and then to say if you like or dislike each feature, and then say why.  That isn't news.  That isn't press.  That's an argument - it's rhetoric.  Arguments have to have counterarguments.  Without the counterargument or some sort of an apologist viewpoint (a defense) then what you have is propaganda - advertisement - promotional agenda.

I don't care why these people like or dislike features or games.  I don't even care if they DO or DO NOT like the game.  All I want to know is what the features are and if the features are working or if they are not working.  And if they can give some sort of objective explanation thereof without going into personal feelings like, "It's not working because I prefer the way this other game does it, because it's better." which is again, more subjective advertisement and is frankly, amateur - then okay.  But... they simply don't do this.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

The previews are not looking too great. However, this could all change. It's only a few opinions at the moment. It's just a large amount of negativity that's starting to become an issue for the game.

I feel like they would have to redo a lot of the level 2-9 content to stop the bad reviews and it seems way too late for that... or just provide the press/beta testers with level 10-15 characters which would be odd in a game where skills are leveled/unlocked.

and

Yeah, at that point you're not reviewing a product you're simply just reporting on it.

Here's an idea - a report that gives you an open ended conclusion.  This means you're actually able to make your own opinion based on the actual report, without being swayed by impersonal opinion.

Wouldn't that be great?

and

Here's an idea - a report that gives you an open ended conclusion.  This means you're actually able to make your own opinion based on the actual report, without being swayed by impersonal opinion.

Wouldn't that be great?

Mmm kay, give me all the pros and cons of the game and at the end of your article just write 'what if" or something along those lines. Something that hypes the customer up with ideas that 'could' come from than game rather than mechanics that are in the game.

Originally posted by reeereee

I feel like they would have to redo a lot of the level 2-9 content to stop the bad reviews and it seems way too late for that... or just provide the press/beta testers with level 10-15 characters which would be odd in a game where skills are leveled/unlocked.

Well allowing the press to skip the content doesn't stop the issue of players having to spend many hours in the game to start enjoying the content. However, putting the game back into production to revamp the early levels could definitely help the outlook on the game.

and

No.  The point of the review isn't to express the writer's opinion.  The point of the review is to sway YOUR opinion as the potential buyer.  If you knew anything about Communication and Rhetoric, you would understand this.

It's one thing to say a game has features x, y, and z.  Like you say, the box can tell you that.

It's another thing to say if the game has features x, y, and z, and if they actually work the way they're supposed to, and what, if any, are the reasons behind interesting or curious design choices quoted directly from the horse's mouth.  Boxes don't tell you that.

It's something entirely different if you say the game has features x, y, and z, and then to say if you like or dislike each feature, and then say why.  That isn't news.  That isn't press.  That's an argument - it's rhetoric.  Arguments have to have counterarguments.  Without the counterargument or some sort of an apologist viewpoint (a defense) then what you have is propaganda - advertisement - promotional agenda.

I don't care why these people like or dislike features or games.  I don't even care if they DO or DO NOT like the game.  All I want to know is what the features are and if the features are working or if they are not working.  And if they can give some sort of objective explanation thereof without going into personal feelings like, "It's not working because I prefer the way this other game does it, because it's better." which is again, more subjective advertisement and is frankly, amateur - then okay.  But... they simply don't do this.

I personally believe a review is to both express your opinion and then sway the reader(s) into making their final decision.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,136
    Originally posted by Beastn
    Originally posted by Smikis

wow on launch was better than eso is now, and I been playing wow since early betas, being european i  played both korean/asian and na betas, and still was better experience than eso

saying bad press is killing the game, I would say press is too forgiving considering how much eso charges, no mmorpg charges full console price ( there REALLY WAS NO MMO that charged 60$, even worse in uk where its 50 pounds.. to normal 25-35, latest final fantasy was 15.. or 20$), + sub + cash shop

Bad press is killing the game because eso droped nda for press, so according to you zenimax should lie about everything and never drop nda until launch  and trick people into buying the game...thats some good logic there

This is wrong.....when wow launched it no bgs, crazy class imbalances, and a TON of glitches (falling through the world, mobs being unkillable, etc)

I was in WOW beta and I agree with this last comment^^^. 

There Is Always Hope!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,136
    Originally posted by reeereee

I agree that they should have shown the strengths, not the learning area for console players or beginners that never played an MMO. Start off at a higher level where the world opens up a whole lot more, show them the adventure zones or master dungeons, show them the 50+ PVE content where you can roam anywhere within a faction, show them level 50 PVP. I bet you some of the negative impressions would have been a lot less negative despite the payment model which should be lowered to 7.99  a month :-) lol.

There Is Always Hope!