Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new era for mmo gaming-no grinding in elders scrolls online.

there is no grinding in the game what I have seen,its small little quests like skyrim.

this makes the game fun,i hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by handlewithcare
    there is no grinding in the game what I have seen,its small little quests like skyrim.this makes the game fun,i hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

One can only hope.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    From what I've seen, there aren't even that many wandering mobs.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

there is no grinding in the game what I have seen,its small little quests like skyrim.

this makes the game fun,i hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

grinding quests is still grinding people would say.  

but honestly the idea of "grinding mobs" has been largely gone from MMOs for about 10 years now.  Ever since EQ2 and WoW launched, the "go to the next quest hub and do the quests to level" has been the primary levelling method in pretty much every major release:   LoTRO, Vanguard, AoC,  SWTOR, AoC, etc, etc.  All games where you levelled primarily by just doing quest after quest instead of killing a thousand hecklers. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

It's still there, it's just disguised. Instead of kill 3 undead, you have kill ghost of hate, ghost of terror and ghost of fear. Instead of collect 5 pretzels, you have put out 5 fires. Both quests work in exactly the same way as their predecessor - kill quest and click quest.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

ESO is a quest grinder like so many others before it.

Nothing new here.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect

I hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

It's still there, it's just disguised. Instead of kill 3 undead, you have kill ghost of hate, ghost of terror and ghost of fear. Instead of collect 5 pretzels, you have put out 5 fires. Both quests work in exactly the same way as their predecessor - kill quest and click quest.

But it is a big difference if you have quest where it says you have to kill 5x rats or 10x whatever and this quiete often as quest content. Now compare this to "put out 5 fires" or defuse "traps" but you have to fight your way through or sneak around it since you did enter enemy territory.

You cant compare both, one is just plain and simple and the other methode has immersion and doesnt feel that simple.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

So instead of "kill X of these" we now have "find and talk to X people".

Sorry, but running around the map and clicking on marked people/items is just as bad, if not worse than the generic kill quests.

If ESO is the future of MMO's, i'll pass.

Originally posted by osc8r

Sorry, but running around the map and clicking on marked people/items is just as bad, if not worse than the generic kill quests.

So do you prefer "kill X of these"  or what do you prefer in the gamea you are playing currently or in the past ?

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

I don't really understand. There are "Go Kill X" and "Go Do X about X Times" in the game. Plus some "Go talk to X then summon X to talk to X". All MMO's have a grind, just in different ways. But nice try.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

So what is your solution. It is a game after all. If grinding mobs is bad, and grinding quests is bad, then what is good? According to people here...NOTHING!!

Originally posted by Heretique

I don't really understand. There are "Go Kill X" and "Go Do X about X Times" in the game. Plus some "Go talk to X then summon X to talk to X". All MMO's have a grind, just in different ways. But nice try.

But "how" makes the difference. It can be boring or interesting, it can be pure just hack n slash or not.

I dont understand what some people actually want. You want games like asian grinders ? What do your prefer and what game are you playing which offer what you like  and what type of leveling is it ?

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394

Instead of areas densely populated with mobs for kill quests, it's sparsely populated zones with lots of running from point A to point B. 

It's different, but I don't see how it's any better.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

you thougt the kill 10 rats quest was grinding?

my god you have never been in a grind game have you.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by jazz.be
    From what I've seen, there aren't even that many wandering mobs.

sounds good to me

Originally posted by xeniar

LOL - Seriously.

Try Everquest.  Kill 100 rats, with no quest telling you to do so or reward for completion.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by epoq
    Originally posted by xeniar

LOL - Seriously.

Try Everquest.  Kill 100 rats, with no quest telling you to do so or reward for completion.

thats what im referring too :)

and id love to have it back in a game of this day and age.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688
    Originally posted by spizz

So do you prefer "kill X of these"  or what do you prefer currently in the game you are playing ?

I prefered Asheron's call to be honest... walk out into the wild, and if you played smart (and were willing to take the risk) you could actually take down MUCH higher level monsters and get rewarded with a tonne of XP. Nowadays that's not even possible, as you wouldn't even be able to hit said monster as there's this little linear path every hero must take.

But yes, i'd take 'kill quests' over never ending 'talk to' quests. At least in kill quests it actually feels like i'm doing something instead of being a glorified delivery boy.

Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, click, read text, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk

/yawn.

Hell, i'd even take neverwinters generic go to quests - enter dungeon and fight you way to the end, then kill boss.

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    there is grinding like in any other MMO, but at least, so far, one doesn't feel the grind since the game is new and the quests kind of hook you up; the real grind will be in crafting; don't get fooled in lower levels

So do you prefer "kill X of these"  or what do you prefer currently in the game you are playing ?

I prefered Asheron's call to be honest... walk out into the wild, and if you played smart (and were willing to take the risk) you could actually take down MUCH higher level monsters and get rewarded with a tonne of XP. Nowadays that's not even possible, as you wouldn't even be able to hit said monster as there's this little linear path every hero must take.

But yes, i'd take 'kill quests' over never ending 'talk to' quests. At least in kill quests it actually feels like i'm doing something instead of being a glorified delivery boy.

I'd go into specifics but...

Agreed.  ESO is more or less get a quest to go kill ONE enemy instead of 10.  Or go to this location and pick up this item and bring it back.  With markers on your map telling you the exact or approximate location of every POI.  I prefer lots of roaming mobs, that increase drastically in level in the same zone.  I liked EQ, for example, where zone content could range from level 1-40.  You had to KNOW what parts of the zone were dangerous and which parts were safe.  Nothing about this game gives me any feeling of danger, and that's one of the biggest problems with MMO's today for me.  There are no consequences. 

/yawn.

No grind you say?

Doesn't feel like a grind.

Feels like a running simulator.  Doing errands for NPC's.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I can only think of one game which does not have quest in it and that's chess!!! image

Asbo

/yawn.

Hell, i'd even take neverwinters generic go to quests - enter dungeon and fight you way to the end, then kill boss.

I understand, well at least on lower levels this is not the kind of game. It is like the TES series mainly based on quests and not mob grind.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by arieste  but honestly the idea of "grinding mobs" has been largely gone from MMOs for about 10 years now. 

I know of not what you speak. GW2 also wasn't too bad with the this part of an mmo.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by NightBandit

I can only think of one game which does not have quest in it and that's chess!!! image

idk, i usually complete the "kill 6 pawns and the Queen (boss mob)"  quest in chess   :)

For the record, i did both the "Kill X" and the "Collect X or Y and bring it back".   I'll admit they weren't rats, but killing 10 bugs for their skins is pretty much the same thing as killing 10 rats for their tails.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146

So you don't want to talk to people and you don't want to go anywhere. A typical valued member of an MMO community.