Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad press for ESO beta

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

what specific press coverage are we talking about?

I only see people like me complaining, not the press

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

If the game still has their NDA up, this close to launch, it's because they have something to hide.  Sorry, but  the purpose of an NDA is *supposed* to be to prevent the competition from stealing your ideas and beating you out the gate.  It's NOT supposed to be a way to hide your unfinished product from the people who are considering investing in it (by purchasing it).

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

To be honest ESO is the first mmo in years that the big press was not positive before release

I find that ironic, personally I learned to not listen to anyone when it comes to mmo, specially in this place as I am a pvper at heart and people here are all looking for the next WoW with dire need in their hearts

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Xsorus
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Never rely on press to decide if you should play a game or not..

Lets be honest..Most Press players are awful at these games anyway..so i don't take anything they say with a grain of salt.

You're better off deciding your own opinion on a game you're going to play then worrying about baddies giving previews.

Of course, never agree on a single review. However, when the single review starts to become one of many all coming to similar conclusions with footage to back up their opinions. It becomes quite easy to come up with your own conclusion without having to spend 60-80 dollars on top of $14.99 monthly fees to find out that the product has failed to match your expectations.

I keep seeing people mention the monthly fee, Honestly people whining about that fee should quit gaming...Because clearly you're far to poor to be gaming.

Monthly fee's are of zero importance in determining if I play a game, hell even the box price doesn't determine if i'll buy the game or not..

If I enjoy the game, i'll pay the monthly fee, if not..Oh well...I got to play Beta..I know it might be my cup of tea, therefor I'll buy and play it..If i don't enjoy it, Oh well...

Wait, how is not wanting to waste 14.99 considered being poor? You have poor logic. I pay a monthly fee on the game I'm playing right now. Because as you said, "I enjoy it". But if you don't enjoy the product and you have to pay a monthly fee you feel bad for having wasted the money.

You don't pay a monthly fee till 30 days after the original purchase, If you've not decided in 30 days if you enjoy a game or not, You don't deserve to bitch about a monthly fee. When you buy the game, You're paying for the box fee, That is it..The monthly fee comes after 30 days, and that decides if you're willing to pay, If you pay that monthly fee, and you dislike the game already, then you're an idiot.

• Originally posted by quixadhal

If the game still has their NDA up, this close to launch, it's because they have something to hide.  Sorry, but  the purpose of an NDA is *supposed* to be to prevent the competition from stealing your ideas and beating you out the gate.  It's NOT supposed to be a way to hide your unfinished product from the people who are considering investing in it (by purchasing it).

An NDA doesn't mean anything in terms of something to hide..

GW2 didn't have an NDA for a very long time, and it was still a stinker in some areas

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

• DancwithDancwith Member UncommonPosts: 28

There are quite a lot of red flags popping up for ESO.  All of them and more were listed above.  These bad reviews are bad reviews for a reason.  They aren't making this stuff up.  This is a million+ dollar project that is going to have a very poor result and the people who designed it, need to realize that and hope they can recover.

I have played beta.

However, if i was viewing this from the standpoint of a major investor, not ever having played it, just reading the reviews, i would be on the phone and worried.......

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

WOW was the worst mmo launch i have experienced still to this day. I couldn't even log in for the first 5 days or so.

You must not have experienced many then, And sorry, I was in on day 2 of WoW and while there were server issues, WoW doesn't even rank in the top 10 worst MMO launches I have been in.

Really? I mean really?

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4862

Look at the nr1 according to mmorpg.com

WoW had huge imballance issues, clipping issues, falling through the world issues, server stability, complete disfunctional class (till patch 1.7)

Wow had a god awfull launch.

• Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Lets be honest..Most Press players are awful at these games anyway..so i don't take anything they say with a grain of salt.

You're better off deciding your own opinion on a game you're going to play then worrying about baddies giving previews.

Of course, never agree on a single review. However, when the single review starts to become one of many all coming to similar conclusions with footage to back up their opinions. It becomes quite easy to come up with your own conclusion without having to spend 60-80 dollars on top of $14.99 monthly fees to find out that the product has failed to match your expectations.

I keep seeing people mention the monthly fee, Honestly people whining about that fee should quit gaming...Because clearly you're far to poor to be gaming.

Monthly fee's are of zero importance in determining if I play a game, hell even the box price doesn't determine if i'll buy the game or not..

If I enjoy the game, i'll pay the monthly fee, if not..Oh well...I got to play Beta..I know it might be my cup of tea, therefor I'll buy and play it..If i don't enjoy it, Oh well...

Wait, how is not wanting to waste 14.99 considered being poor? You have poor logic. I pay a monthly fee on the game I'm playing right now. Because as you said, "I enjoy it". But if you don't enjoy the product and you have to pay a monthly fee you feel bad for having wasted the money.

You don't pay a monthly fee till 30 days after the original purchase, If you've not decided in 30 days if you enjoy a game or not, You don't deserve to bitch about a monthly fee. When you buy the game, You're paying for the box fee, That is it..The monthly fee comes after 30 days, and that decides if you're willing to pay, If you pay that monthly fee, and you dislike the game already, then you're an idiot.

Seriously, chill down before you pop a blood vain. I have a right to complain about fees on a product that have proven to not be needed in order to maintain a game's life. 

You certainly do have the right to whine while being cheap...Hence why I won't stop you from doing it.

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by quixadhal

GW2 didn't have an NDA for a very long time, and it was still a stinker in some areas

Oh yes because GW2 faults totally have an effect on whether or not ESO has something to hide.

• DancwithDancwith Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Panthien

WOW was the worst mmo launch i have experienced still to this day. I couldn't even log in for the first 5 days or so.

You must not have experienced many then, And sorry, I was in on day 2 of WoW and while there were server issues, WoW doesn't even rank in the top 10 worst MMO launches I have been in.

Really? I mean really?

WoW had huge imballance issues, clipping issues, falling through the world issues, server stability, complete disfunctional class (till patch 1.7)

Way to quote a 3 year old article that doesn't reflect the games released SINCE Then

• danisheraserdanisheraser Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by Smikis

wow on launch was better than eso is now, and I been playing wow since early betas, being european i  played both korean/asian and na betas, and still was better experience than eso

saying bad press is killing the game, I would say press is too forgiving considering how much eso charges, no mmorpg charges full console price ( there REALLY WAS NO MMO that charged 60$, even worse in uk where its 50 pounds.. to normal 25-35, latest final fantasy was 15.. or 20$), + sub + cash shop

Bad press is killing the game because eso droped nda for press, so according to you zenimax should lie about everything and never drop nda until launch  and trick people into buying the game...thats some good logic there

Hahahah this is the most pathetic bullshit I've heard in ages. Enough said. Do I really need to justify?

• Originally posted by maddog15a
    Originally posted by quixadhal

Oh yes because GW2 faults totally have an effect on whether or not ESO has something to hide.

No, but its pointing out that not having an NDA in place doesn't mean it can't be terrible either.

ESO could have an NDA and be great, it could also not have an NDA and be terrible, they're not mutually exclusive.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Smikis

wow on launch was better than eso is now, and I been playing wow since early betas, being european i  played both korean/asian and na betas, and still was better experience than eso

saying bad press is killing the game, I would say press is too forgiving considering how much eso charges, no mmorpg charges full console price ( there REALLY WAS NO MMO that charged 60$, even worse in uk where its 50 pounds.. to normal 25-35, latest final fantasy was 15.. or 20$), + sub + cash shop

Bad press is killing the game because eso droped nda for press, so according to you zenimax should lie about everything and never drop nda until launch  and trick people into buying the game...thats some good logic there

First of all you can't give bad press if there is not something there that is not right.You can JUST watch Angry Joe's and he goes into every last bit of detail about what should or should not be and most of what he says is true but not all ,some is just opinion.

I see people actually trying to say this game has a great START,well it has ONE starting point for the entire population and you MUST follow through the linear or railroad design,so NO that is NOT a good start no matter how you try to argue it.

Now on the comment of Wow being better at launch...hmmm.First of all UGLY graphics,even your player looks like a cheap cartoon.

Then if you are trying to tell me that starting in the middle of nowhere for no reason and your ONLY option is to VEE line to a yellow marker over a NPC is a great initiation into a game,,NO thanks,that is a lazy design that took Blizzard no effort.

yes i do agree that Wow would not have the same success now and for good reason,IT IS  a very weak attempt at copying a better EQ1 and EQ2.

What has changed is now press are far more knowledgeable on an entire game design,they can see for the most part the LAZY design flaws,that was not the case years ago.SO you can expect more bad press for all games,but ask yourself is it really BAD press or closer to FACTS?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

Seriously, chill down before you pop a blood vain. I have a right to complain about fees on a product that have proven to not be needed in order to maintain a game's life. 

You certainly do have the right to whine while being cheap...Hence why I won't stop you from doing it.

Being a smart and vocal consumer isn't cheap, and if someone is selling you something you should voice why you will or wont buy.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Well so far I loved this game, even the starting area. It had a nice story to it, culminating in leaving the area. The combat and animation worked fine for me, and the combat system itself feels like a breath of fresh air compared to most other MMORPG's. The world invites you to wander around and explore, the graphics are good, the crafting is nice. Sure there were still some bugs in beta, but nothing gamebreaking.

But I guess it is a good thing the press is downhyping the game, because every mmorpg that has been hyped last few years, skyrocketted before totally crashing not long after launch. It would be good that the game has a slow start. MMORPG's are ( or should be ) marathons not sprints. The RvR will be a big factor in the making or breaking of this MMORPG, they already made a mistake ( allowing pre orders to play any race in any alliance ), but for the rest it looks promising.

I am not going to overhype it myself, but I don't see anything in the past, present  or near future that could get me back into mmorpg's, except ESO that is. It won't be perfect, but it will be worth it's money.

The megaserver will allow the game to start slow and keep growing, that would be a good thing.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Dancwith
    Originally posted by Panthien

Really? I mean really?

Way to quote a 3 year old article that doesn't reflect the games released SINCE Then

You are right, But Im sure most people will say without a shadow of a doubt this game is in a better shape then AO and Aoc at release. The person in the quote is talking how great WoW's release was, but it truely wasnt. I left out the 6k ping month, for which blizzard game 8 days game time to compensate for. I did mention the disfunctional class ( that was removed and a placeholder was put in its place 1 day before release)

Im not saying ESO is in a great shape either, but overall during the stress test weekend it was working fine, other the slow loading, not to mention they where actually trying to get us to crash the server to test it.

Regardless ESO is in better shape now then WoW was at release.

Edit : this top 10 is ~1 and a half years old. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/31/the-perfect-ten-worst-mmo-launches-of-all-time/

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm really getting upset by the quality of the fans responses. It's becoming more and more ad hominem with twisted logic. "If you don't think the game is worth a sub, you're cheap/poor!" "If a bad game gets good press, then that means a good game will get bad press!"

Where is Iselin? Wield your mighty pen!

• danisheraserdanisheraser Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by cronius77

who cares what the press says I know I dont if I like a game I play it or if it interests me then I might read some reviews but seriously who cares wth is 60 bucks anyways to evaluate it for 30 days and if you like it you stay. Or you can do like most people here on this site have done and just sign up for beta testing and try it before you buy it yourself. Its not like they ever change mechanics anymore in beta's all they are is free press for their games.

Also to the ones hating on this game so much get a life seriously do games rule your lives or something? Its pathetic to see the same posters in every single thread on this site slamming this game. We get it you do not like it what are you babies who need attention and have to scream pay attention to me? Dont play it if you hate it that much but to hear in every single thread that is ESO related the same people over and over again just hating to be hating gets annoying after awhile.

Well said.

I exactly feel the same. If you don't like, it, say it and then shut up. Not a big topic writer myself, but I often see the same people write the same shit day in and day out. It's kind of sick, and perhaps it would be healthy for some on these forums to get some help with their hate-issues.

• i find most of the reviews to be terrible at best.

Most talk about boring quests..while giving the reach around to GW2 despite it having one of the most god awful boring story ever..not to mention its PVE being bloody atrocious...

If you're going to harp about TESO on anything..Talk about its Dodging System, which blows... If you try and dodge in the game, and have no stamina, you come to a complete stop...That's off putting.. and annoying as hell...

Talk about the controls... It mimics Elder Scrolls Perfectly, problem is Elder Scrolls is ass for actual combat.. and it requires setting up like DCUO did to make it playable in some regards.

Talk about the leveling speed, Its bloody slow...Way to slow for its on good, I'm all for taking some time for leveling, but it shouldn't take 2 days to get level 10+....

Whining about boring quests though is not on my list of things that make a MMO not worth playing..I can get through boring quests...Gameplay elements are what determine if I'll stick around.