Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMO genre needs a Hero

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
The MMO genre needs to be saved and saved quickly. There are just too many mediocre to bad mmos being released Since WoW and Everquest. They just don't capture the soul of gamers like WoW and Everquest did. It needs that WoW star power once again to get the genre back on its feet once again. The genre needs some sign of hope. This year we got ESO and Wildstar, both are going to be too generic and boring. Seems like most developers are just content with making the most basic generic mmo and just giving it a new skin. Settling for medioctity is the worst thing anyone could do and it certainly isn't healthy long term for the mmo genre.

Comments

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    The MMO genre needs to be saved and saved quickly. There are just too many mediocre to bad mmos being released Since WoW and Everquest. They just don't capture the soul of gamers like WoW and Everquest did. It needs that WoW star power once again to get the genre back on its feet once again. The genre needs some sign of hope. This year we got ESO and Wildstar, both are going to be too generic and boring. Seems like most developers are just content with making the most basic generic mmo and just giving it a new skin. Settling for medioctity is the worst thing anyone could do and it certainly isn't healthy long term for the mmo genre.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/comments

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It doesn't need saving, it needs variety. The games being made now appeal to the largest part of the market and they are happy with what they get. There are however a lot of people out there who want different types of mmos that are not getting what they want.

You can't call a game with 500k+ people playing it "bad" or a failure but when they're all pretty much the same games you can call them over saturating the mmo market. At some point they have to hit the wall where the well of players runs dry and they start to starve.....well... looking at what sony just did we're probably there already.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Or maybe you just need a new hobby.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by DamonVile

It doesn't need saving, it needs variety.

fully agree

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Most game developers are just borderline incompetent at designing games probably.
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Variety with quality more like. There's plenty of unique MMO's out there they're just all terrible.
  • GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    There are lots more MMOs then the big AAA ones. People don't want variety they want AAA budgets directed at niche markets. Don't count on that happening. What's wrong with say ArcheAge? Not enough budget?
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    WoW never did anything unique other than having a big marketing budget. There was never magic there that needs to be recaptured, other than nostalgia for your first MMO.
  • Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31
    The MMO Industry don't need a hero. They need a company to understand players, willing to take risks, & isnt after money alone (although that will always be a part). I think if Zen would have made ESO Buy2Play & worried more about making an other great game instead of making a great profit ESO WUD have been the game & zen the company the MMO industry needed. But, Not 2day.

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    The genre is fine. Sure a little more variety would be good, but there are literally hundreds of games out there to choose from. Honestly if you can't find one to enjoy, then maybe the problem is you?

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Destiny?
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm waiting on Destiny.

If anyone can deliver the next big thing- brand new IP with solid gameplay, it's Bungie.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    Originally posted by ThomasN7

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/comments

You've not seen anything of this game, you are just following blindly.

• EugeneKDudleyEugeneKDudley Member Posts: 58

It needs a radical paradigm shift TBH. will it come? who knows, BUT until consumers stop throwing money at mediocre products simply based on the feeling it will improve after release and have some patience to form their own opinion by getting a hands on, then nothing will stop the bean counters from laughing all the way to the bank. most of these games being made are built to draw in the suckers I.E the fans who followed and have been waiting for the product to release, they use every trick in the book to draw you in, and the hope is you will overlook any inherit flaws due to that fanaticism. these are the people who will buy those expensive pre-orders and collectors editions before they ever set foot into the game.

You get baited by them then once your money is locked down, after release they perform the switch. we will never see anything new or something that changes the genre until we stop funding untested betas that are masked as retail releases.

"By all means, reach for the stars but you need to build the spaceship first"

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by EugeneKDudley

It needs a radical paradigm shift TBH. will it come? who knows, BUT until consumers stop throwing money at mediocre products simply based on the feeling it will improve after release and have some patience to form their own opinion by getting a hands on, then nothing will stop the bean counters from laughing all the way to the bank. most of these games being made are built to draw in the suckers I.E the fans who followed and have been waiting for the product to release, they use every trick in the book to draw you in, and the hope is you will overlook any inherit flaws due to that fanaticism. these are the people who will buy those expensive pre-orders and collectors editions before they ever set foot into the game.

You get baited by them then once your money is locked down, after release they perform the switch. we will never see anything new or something that changes the genre until we stop funding untested betas that are masked as retail releases.

I don't really see it that awfull.  AoC VG Rift Aion GW2, all failed to keep me for more than 3 months but I am fine with that. I had a good time for 3 months, capped out on the fun factor and said see ya later thanks for the experience. If people are looking for a full time babysitter they may be waiting a long time. Enjoy these games for what they have to offer and move on, why get bitter and bent out of shape? Eventually a totally kick ass game will surface for you that capture the attention long term but until then whats the harm in spending 50-100 bucks for a few months of pleasure. I spend that on dinner.   I must say, if Rift had come out with an awesome PvP arena complete with ELO and ladder rankings from release, I would still be playing that game every day. 

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Guild Software.

Building a MMORPG with a team of 4, self-distributing, maintaining a microtransaction free game for over a decade, pivoting into the mobile market in 2010, in a hitherto unpopular subgenre.

Those guys are heroes.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance