Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single-player survival crafting sandboxes or sandparks?

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
Stranded II is the only one that's immediately springing to my mind.  Though things like the Virtual Villagers series are also pretty close, the only real difference is that you are a group of people rather than a single person.  Is there anything that's like GTA but paleolithic???  Post-apocalyptic might be ok but they rarely seem to have a real crafting tree and build-up from having no tech through having subsistence hunting and gathering through medieval-level architecture and farming; I'm not really interested in guns and zombies which is what a lot of survival games seem to be about.  I like animal survival games like Tokyo Jungle except they have no crafting, because animals.  I keep thinking, there must be some games like this on Kongregate or ones that were traditionally published but just not well publicized and I missed it when they came out...
I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

tug. is in alpha. it offers single player. $20 will get you access from now and the full release when it launches. it's kind of buggy atm but the dev team does update it frequently.

• WindamereWindamere Member UncommonPosts: 75

Dude you are totally missing out:

Wurmonline.com

It's all about crafting and survival, the free to play version you can play as long as you wish but skills will remain locked at 20. Sub price isn't outrageous and you can even work for others sometimes to make in game coin.

Fairly hard learning curve to begin, there is a tutorial, crafting is based on "You have to make absolutely everything to survive."

1 month currently costs 8 Euro.

or

1 month premium (ingame) costs 10 silver coins (value 16 Euro).

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

You could give Planet Explorers a go. It pretty much covers everything you're asking for. The game is still in Alpha but is in a very stable state and is more than playable. I posted a thread about it down the page in this forum. It may be on Page 2 depending on how you have you page layout here setup.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    If you want the ultimate single-player sandbox / crafting experience try Rollercoaster Tycoon. It's a bit of a themepark game but you'll get some good hours out of it.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Windamere

Dude you are totally missing out:

Wurmonline.com

It's all about crafting and survival, the free to play version you can play as long as you wish but skills will remain locked at 20. Sub price isn't outrageous and you can even work for others sometimes to make in game coin.

Fairly hard learning curve to begin, there is a tutorial, crafting is based on "You have to make absolutely everything to survive."

1 month currently costs 8 Euro.

or

1 month premium (ingame) costs 10 silver coins (value 16 Euro).

I was going to mention Wurm Online as well.

1. every game I have ever played I first try to see how far into the game I can get as a solo player with no help. This game was the hardest ever starting out with no help. When I finally broken down and joined a village I physically felt like I was being rescued from being lost in the wilderness for several months. It was one of those key gaming moments for me.

2. After getting a little help from others it is possible to play this game solo and have it 'feel' like its a single player game if one chooses.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Starbound, 7 Days to Die, Pixel Piracy, Wayward Terran Frontier,  Craft The World, are all single-player, survival, build your own adventure, crafting type games. Wurm is OK, but difficult on the eyes. I mean really difficult.  Really, really, really difficult! No, not a graphics "snob" but the game is just so hard on the eyes, it actually detracts from the gameplay.