Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's buying after trying out the beta?

Comments

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    I've gone from being on the fence to pre-ordering the CE. I had reasonable expectations going into it and for a themepark, I think it delivers fine.
  • onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    If you are a PvP player or an Old school DAOC and Warhammer online veteran, you just gonna love this game. 

Totally agree. The action gamer fans from Tera and such probably won't get into this as much as those you mentioned. I hope this game has a larger adult fanbase once it releases and the kids are gone. No offense meant to anyone who isn't mature, just I would rather you play something else! :) Perhaps something with voxels and spinning cows. /double shrug

Um can't help but point this fact out. 

You do know the average age of a video game player is somewhere in their 30s?

Here I'll drop a bunch of links to articles reporting on research findings.  To show that those 'Kids' are actually not 'kids' they are adults.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10159917/Average-video-game-fan-is-35-years-old.html

http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/01/esa-average-gamer-age-is-30-adult-women-more-lucrative-than-teenage-boys/

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/esa_ef_2013.pdf

I could link more, but those 3 seemed the most credible.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Meh...Quests, quests and more quests...I'm sick of grinding quests.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by onlinenow25
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    If you are a PvP player or an Old school DAOC and Warhammer online veteran, you just gonna love this game. 

Totally agree. The action gamer fans from Tera and such probably won't get into this as much as those you mentioned. I hope this game has a larger adult fanbase once it releases and the kids are gone. No offense meant to anyone who isn't mature, just I would rather you play something else! :) Perhaps something with voxels and spinning cows. /double shrug

Um can't help but point this fact out. 

You do know the average age of a video game player is somewhere in their 30s?

Here I'll drop a bunch of links to articles reporting on research findings.  To show that those 'Kids' are actually not 'kids' they are adults.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10159917/Average-video-game-fan-is-35-years-old.html

http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/01/esa-average-gamer-age-is-30-adult-women-more-lucrative-than-teenage-boys/

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/esa_ef_2013.pdf

I could link more, but those 3 seemed the most credible.

I wasn't by any means saying all gamers are kids. And yes I know those facts and have quoted them myself. My point was I would rather not have immature "30 year olds" playing the game. What you highlited is what I mean, I would rather have a more adult fanbase rather than a bunch of kids.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I'm still on the fence.

I'm actually having to think about whether I would rather play swtor or the ESO beta which isn't a good sign... maybe things will pick up at lvl 10...

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I was on the fence before trying this beta, and now I'm convinced to not pre-ordering the game. Might buy it later if it turns out great or went B2P.
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by JJ82

1. SWTOR received as much if not more hate near the end of its beta. I followed that game closely and it actually received more positive reactions around this time and even from reviewers at release. Then everyone claimed that all of the reviewers were paid by EA and there were a lot of injured forum goers when Mike B on this site gave it a good review. Though in the end that game didn't come close to expectations  (mine and a lot of others) with regard to Sub numbers, its still hanging around doing just fine and is a solid game for those who like the linear single player story focus of that game. I was disappointed I had no desire to get to end level and stopped in the mid 40s.

2. How good the combat is comes down to the individuals personal experience with previous games. To me its really bad because I have played games like AoC, Tera, Vindictus, hell even GW2 has far better combat and I only could stand playing that game for a few months. To me the combat feels very Elder Scrollish. I never had an issue with it in the single players games, but I also don't mind tab targeting. I'm just flexible I guess. I liked GW2 combat as well to some degree, but I didn't think it was any better...because that game lacked skill progression after the first 20 levels and like you I got bored. Totally agree with you (which is a first) that is down to personal experience.

3. The above is why I gave an audible chuckle when reading your statement that all MMOs fall into the predictable wade up to an enemy comment, because its just plain wrong, you have limited yourself to MMOs with bland combat. I've played WOW, EQ2, AOC, Rift, Aion, Allods online, Vanguard, LOTRO, GW2, SWTOR, Rift, Warhammer, Star Trek, Final Fantasy, probably others and I have yet to see any MMO where I was like "WOW, the enemy AI is so much better than other games". SWTOR developers promised that and I think they didn't come close to what was promised specifically for enemy AI.

4. Talk to me about the lack of collision being not that bad after having PvPed...........its jaw droppingly stupid to not have it in a game built around end game PvP. Though I understand the reasons for lack of collision, I actually agree with you on this for just about all MMOs for both PVE and PVP, It just feels more immersive to me, but thats just my opinion. Most games for the last 10 years have the same issue.

1. you are insane, just go look at the boards here and read the comments from the SWTOR players about how "these haters have been around since beta and are never going to go away".

2. I am glad to "you" the combat feels like ES, you are one of the few, and it seems one of the few that liked it in the single player games. it was actually one of the worst aspects of the games according to most players, also the reason why there are so many combat mods for them.

3. Well as I said, you obviously didn't play Tera, Vindictus and Age of Conan, games that had amazing combat. So, it makes sense that this standard non-innovative old style dried up MMO is for you.

4. Nice you agree, cant figure out however for the life of me why you are making excuses for it though. "many MMOs being like it" does mean a NEW ONE SHOULD.

Look at EVERY review for TESO even those making it sound like its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Not one of them mentions anything innovative about it, nothing. Why is that? A genre filled with stagnancy with players clamoring for something new is only getting just that, a new game, not new GAMEPLAY made with new IDEAS. Just the same old crap that's been done before.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    I was on the fence for a long time. I love all ES games, in fact Morrowind is my favorite rpg, but as an mmo I just can't get over the melee gameplay. I'll prob wait a little before I consider it again. It all depends on when wildstar releases as that may just overshadow ESO for me. 
  • RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

I m the guy under the idea....Show me the stuff and if it's good im buying if it's not worth it keep it to your self.

I would buy this game 100 % if it was buy to play and pay for xpansions on the road.

But 15 a month is not for me.

I dont like to pay every month when i know there will be months that i will not be playing it.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by epoq
    "explorer pack" pre-order bonus killed it for me.  it's a glaringly obvious cash grab.  they are making a pre-order exclusive to get as many purchases as possible up front so players don't feel "left out" if they don't pre order and are then unable to play any race/faction combination.  BUT that's not it, Zenimax won't just cut it off to pre-orders.  100% guarantee you that it will be a purchasable unlock on their cash shop after the game launches.  all this says to me is WHAT WAS THE POINT OF FACTIONS IN THE FIRST PLACE?

I just had to comment on this:

FACTIONS ARE GROWN NOT BREED

That being said I will be pre-ordering and buying a Imperial CE for myself. Honestly I probably won't be opening the box anytime soon, but it will be there if I get the itch to play.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Revy106Revy106 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    cancelled after trying 
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Havent played beta, and I admit the game does not seem all that amazing, but I have preordered it and keeping the preorder because there's nothing else on the mmorpg front right now, and I havent played a mmorpg in a while so I need something for the withdrawals.

If I like it, great, if I dont, hopefully it lasts until something better comes along. Really looking forward to EQN because it honestly sounds like something fresh is coming into this genre for the first time in a long long time (talking big budget games here).

• MapleshadeMapleshade Member Posts: 38

I've been a longtime Elder Scrolls fan.  I really wanted to like this game, mainly because it's an Elder Scrolls title, and also because I'm bored out of my mind with nothing to play currently.  After a day in beta this weekend, I'm sorely disappointed and will not be buying the game.

*edit out reasons why, forgot about nda for a sec.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

im not wow'd by any means. Really a huge chunk of change to pay to enjoy all the game aspects as well. Wish i could voice my anger about certain things but meh. But yah, will give it more time and see. So far, not worth the price.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    I did.  I think it did a good job of capturing the Elder Scrolls feel. 
  • revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

Going to wait a few months for two reasons 

1. The reviews have been lukewarm, and within a few months i can expect to see more complete reviews from both the "press" and from my friends.

2. The price point is a bit much but hey Steam's Summer sale is not that far away. 

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I am not touching this game at release, but after playing beta I think you probably should. I am not a skyrim fan, I thought it was a really mediocre product that gave me 20 hours of gameplay and was boring after that. I am obviously not the target audience here. I think this game is good enough for the I love skyrim people to be worth buying though. It will likely go B2P within a year but I still think that is worth buying at release for those who love the game in general.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    im waiting for a few months after release. as of right now though, no i not playing ESO.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    absolutely not this game will be f2p in 6months
  • TorviusTorvius Member Posts: 2
    Gonna definitely give it a shot for a couple months and test out RVR / PVP

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Absolutely Yes! I've been avoiding all things ESO until I got to play beta this weekend. I was totally surprised by how much I've enjoyed it. Preorder complete. So looking forward to official release now (err, early access that is).
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I'm gonna decide a few months after launch. If the the subscriber numbers keep increasing I will consider buying it. If they keep decreasing it means the game isn't worth it.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66

1. SWTOR received as much if not more hate near the end of its beta. I followed that game closely and it actually received more positive reactions around this time and even from reviewers at release. Then everyone claimed that all of the reviewers were paid by EA and there were a lot of injured forum goers when Mike B on this site gave it a good review. Though in the end that game didn't come close to expectations  (mine and a lot of others) with regard to Sub numbers, its still hanging around doing just fine and is a solid game for those who like the linear single player story focus of that game. I was disappointed I had no desire to get to end level and stopped in the mid 40s.

2. How good the combat is comes down to the individuals personal experience with previous games. To me its really bad because I have played games like AoC, Tera, Vindictus, hell even GW2 has far better combat and I only could stand playing that game for a few months. To me the combat feels very Elder Scrollish. I never had an issue with it in the single players games, but I also don't mind tab targeting. I'm just flexible I guess. I liked GW2 combat as well to some degree, but I didn't think it was any better...because that game lacked skill progression after the first 20 levels and like you I got bored. Totally agree with you (which is a first) that is down to personal experience.

3. The above is why I gave an audible chuckle when reading your statement that all MMOs fall into the predictable wade up to an enemy comment, because its just plain wrong, you have limited yourself to MMOs with bland combat. I've played WOW, EQ2, AOC, Rift, Aion, Allods online, Vanguard, LOTRO, GW2, SWTOR, Rift, Warhammer, Star Trek, Final Fantasy, probably others and I have yet to see any MMO where I was like "WOW, the enemy AI is so much better than other games". SWTOR developers promised that and I think they didn't come close to what was promised specifically for enemy AI.

4. Talk to me about the lack of collision being not that bad after having PvPed...........its jaw droppingly stupid to not have it in a game built around end game PvP. Though I understand the reasons for lack of collision, I actually agree with you on this for just about all MMOs for both PVE and PVP, It just feels more immersive to me, but thats just my opinion. Most games for the last 10 years have the same issue.

3. Well as I said, you obviously didn't play Tera, Vindictus and Age of Conan, games that had amazing combat. So, it makes sense that this standard non-innovative old style dried up MMO is for you.

That is your personal opinion. I've played both Tera and TESO beta, I liked TESO battle system more than Tera. TESO feels like a hybrid of traditional MMORPG battle system and TES battle system, Tera feels like a shooting game. TESO combat pace is faster and more enjoyable than FFXIV,  on the same time it doesn't feel like shooting game like Tera, to me it feel just right.

• ValheraValhera Member UncommonPosts: 19

I wasn't sure after my first weekend but I was able to do more PvP during this second one and it convinced me to buy it. I really enjoy my experience so far, mostly the PvP side of the game. PvE is pretty average.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Bluewhitehell

That is your personal opinion. I've played both Tera and TESO beta, I liked TESO battle system more than Tera. TESO feels like a hybrid of traditional MMORPG battle system and TES battle system, Tera feels like a shooting game. TESO combat pace is faster and more enjoyable than FFXIV,  on the same time it doesn't feel like shooting game like Tera, to me it feel just right.

Tera is nothing like a shooting game unless you play a class such as an archer. Sounds to me like you really didn't play it all to long.

I purchased Tera, and one thing I can say with 100% certainty is that the combat is the best I have seen in an mmo? The rest of the game is total garbage though. Which is sad, because it could have been a great game if that wasn't the case.