Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Else?

MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I was psyched about this game until this weekend. I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason I'm not as thrilled as I once was for this title. I have it pre-ordered, but I'm not considering canceling. Box+Sub adds up.

One issue I have is none of my mmorpg buddies will consider a sub anymore. They all insist on F2P now. We've been in Neverwinter recently. And before all the NW hate posts, I really like NW, for free. I'm not sure about spending any money there though.

Part of me still really likes ESO, but I just wish it was like GW2 where it was buy the box with a lite cash shop, that has just cosmetics, instead of the box+sub model. The market has changed some in recent years.

Anyone else a little torn now all of a sudden?

Thanks,

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by DMKano

Sounds to me like your mind is already made up, you have already given up on the game, you just feel regretful about making a preorder.

Buyers remorse is very common, and yes it feels crappy.

On the other hand, he has a chance at an exhilarating feeling of freedom after being torn free from a financial/time commitment.

• MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102

I prefer the sub over F2P myself.

new content released without buying, no pay to win crap or ways to "Speed" up leveling etc etc.

Most content in F2P games sucks in my opinion. Heck even the graphics are hokey at best aside from maybe rift.

Im looking forward to the game coming out on my Birthday but I will never ever ever leave Eve Online.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Myrradah

I prefer the sub over F2P myself.

new content released without buying, no pay to win crap or ways to "Speed" up leveling etc etc.

Most content in F2P games sucks in my opinion. Heck even the graphics are hokey at best aside from maybe rift.

Im looking forward to the game coming out on my Birthday but I will never ever ever leave Eve Online.

I agree with you about the sub. Rift wasn't always free to play. GW2 is Buy to Play and it has awesome graphics (to me at least). I have yet to try a Free to Play at Launch that feels as immersive or feature rich as a BTP or PTP game.

There Is Always Hope!

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I was fine with this having a sub, but as mentioned earlier there are 'pay exclusives' here too. If it's a sub game then that extra race should be available to everyone because of the sub. Same goes with the faction switching with races. Angry Joe was right about both of those.
  • GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by Margrave
    I was fine with this having a sub, but as mentioned earlier there are 'pay exclusives' here too. If it's a sub game then that extra race should be available to everyone because of the sub. Same goes with the faction switching with races. Angry Joe was right about both of those.

You're able to get a refund. https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4910

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Hmmm, £50 box price and a £9 sub, yet they stick a race restriction on you?  Talk about gouging the customers!!
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

When did the mmo crowd get so fiscally conservative? Especially about such a passionate hobby? Look at it like you look at movies....do you really feel the need to watch every movie that comes your way? Last time I checked you can be a movie buff without watching every movie. You can be a music guru without listening to every song. I'm sure you can enjoy mmorpgs without the need to play each and every one that pops up. But if you really, really feel the need to play a mmorpg that doesn't agree with your friends' entertainment budgets, be ready to either play without them or have an alternative.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7

When did the mmo crowd get so fiscally conservative? Especially about such a passionate hobby? Look at it like you look at movies....do you really feel the need to watch every movie that comes your way? Last time I checked you can be a movie buff without watching every movie. You can be a music guru without listening to every song. I'm sure you can enjoy mmorpgs without the need to play each and every one that pops up. But if you really, really feel the need to play a mmorpg that doesn't agree with your friends' entertainment budgets, be ready to either play without them or have an alternative.

When they started adding cash shops to sub games.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I am sure you are like most and want to play games with your friends.  Now that you know your friend are not going to play... You don't want to as well.  I got rid of all my friends so I didn't have to deal with these issues =P
  • quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

It's not a question of budget, it's a question of ethics.

If a game is going to have a subscription, the subscription is the price you pay to fund development of future content, and it encourages people to play the game consistently.  When I pay a subscription fee, I expect to get access to all the content in the game, provided I'm willing to put in the time to see it all.

If a game is subscription free, that future content is paid for by cash shop purchases.  The player is not expected to play consistently, but rather to drop in and play for a while, then wander off until another batch of new content appears.  In a cash shop model, I expect to pay for some content, and for mechanics to make it easier for me to "catch up" after being away.

Combining BOTH of these is just greedy.  It's a cash grab that is not sustainable in the long term.  The company fully expects to drop the subscription at some point, and this tells me the quality of the content will not be as high as we all hope.  From the reviews I've seen, this seems to be the case.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by BeansnBread

Wait a second...the mmo crowd started getting fiscally conservative when ESO released it's payment model? Where was the outcry when Champions Online did it? When WoW did it? When TSW did it? Oh right...people did bitch about those, but the world's still turning. So until we know what that cash shop entails, stop using sub based payment models + cash shop as a red herring to further the F2P mindset.

I think every mmo player should have access to a F2P mmorpg, not every mmorpg needs to be accessible to F2P players.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by BeansnBread

Wait a second...the mmo crowd started getting fiscally conservative when ESO released it's payment model? Where was the outcry when Champions Online did it? When WoW did it? When TSW did it? Oh right...people did bitch about those, but the world's still turning. So until we know what that cash shop entails, stop using sub based payment models + cash shop as a red herring to further the F2P mindset.

I think every mmo player should have access to a F2P mmorpg, not every mmorpg needs to be accessible to F2P players.

I didn't say when ESO released. I said when sub games started adding cash shops. And there was a ton of outcry at various times. TSW actually had to switch their model to B2P and Champions Online is now F2P.

I have no clue why you are even talking about F2P games. Box + Sub + Cash Shop isn't acceptable to me personally. It's not a red herring. I don't have some F2P agenda. Box + Sub is fine with me.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I never were very excited for this game, it's hard to get excited for themeparks these days, I dont even research them much anymore before buying, it's mostly a simple matter of not having played a mmorpg in a while and need to feed that hunger until "the mmorpg" gets released :)

I preordered the game and my expectations are set quite low as always these days with mmorpgs, so the initial feeling of the game will probably be quite positive for me, and done with the game in 1 or 2 months.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Because quality games have gone some form of F2P that unless games innovate, its inevitable that they will go to some form of F2P in order to keep population above water. Look at all the games that have gone F2P and because of it have a following that justifies the servers they exist on: TSW, AoC, Rift, LOTR, DDO, COX Champions Online (before shut down), etc. Why pay a sub price to play essentially the same game with a different lore and skin? I see no reason to play ESO over TSW for instance (both heavily story driven largely solo games) other than setting!

Face it, if companies continue releasing the same crap in a different package these games will continue not being worth paying a monthly fee for. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

when it became difficult to find and hold onto a part time job much less a full time job. the avverage gamer these days dose not have the same amount of spare cash they did a few years ago.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Because we all have been pretty much burned to death on game releases the last few years.

The shortlist of garbage.

DDO/Vanguard/Tabula Rasa/GW2/FFXIV/Age of Conan/Asherons call 2/Champions Online/Defiance/Global Agenda/Hellgate London/Marvel anything/Neverwinter/RF Online/Star Trek Online/Warhammer 40k

For the long list of garbage just look at damn near every game released after WoW.

We all are sick of being F-ed over by greedy conglomerate megacorporations and smash and grab releases.