Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    That's my favorite one so far.
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Wow, this review  from fricking Gamespot is surprisingly good!

He is spot on with the identity issue and emphasis on longevity.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
     A lot of the review hit the nail on the head. A truly un-bias review and surprisingly from Gamespot. It comes down to one underlying tone; it's torn between two worlds: Elder Scrolls and an MMO. +1 for Vanord on his review.

the rock paper shotgun preview had similar conclusion (but it was more negative)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02 ... ls-online/

the difference (in Skyrim or Oblivion) was, you could just hop on your horse and ride off up a mountain to watch a sunset, before stumbling on a hidden cave leading to a ruined dungeon packed with marauding skellingtons, where you find a book that tells you about a secret place in a nearby tower…

In ESO’s first few hours, you follow the marker to the next quest giver.

There’s no impact to the combat, and while it shares The Secret World’s cone-of-attack dodging, it feels loose, flimsy and detached, like Elder Scrolls games don’t.

Compared to MMOs, it’s regular, uninspired. Compared to the series from which this game spawns, it’s very disappointing.
  • kotzkotz Member UncommonPosts: 100

There is one thing that the reviwers keep on forgetting.

How people interact with eachother. And why.

I was about to write a long story of how chat bubbles gives an mmo a real good boost.  But i dont have the  time or energy right now.

To many mmos out there lack chat bubbles resluting in a non-communicative world between players.  

So ask your self, why does for example  Swtor and the secret world feel like a single player game with people runing around in the background?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by kotz

an omission that may not true - it seems ESO has no public quests  (from watching previews)

Warhammer flopped but it did bring public quests to the mmo world

Public quests are a fun way to interact w other strangers

watching the ESO preview, i was reminded of some mix of DDO + GW2 for artstyle

dated graphics but very nice lighting and everything seems like a solo quest

disclaimer:  any mmo newbie area is going to be infested w solo questing

its unclear if quests get better later

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

He makes a mistake quoting Bethesda as game developer.

The game was developed by ZeniMax , company that own Betsheda (but has no experience with making games)

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I was about to write a long story of how chat bubbles gives an mmo a real good boost.  But i dont have the  time or energy right now.

To many mmos out there lack chat bubbles resluting in a non-communicative world between players.  

So ask your self, why does for example  Swtor and the secret world feel like a single player game with people runing around in the background?

I used to feel that way but times are changing. With today's games and each subsequent generation voice chat is becoming more and more the favored means of communication between players and in cases where the game shares platforms with consoles it is the best option. DCUO actually had a neat voice chat system for shared platform gaming that made chat bubbles irrelevant even for casual interaction (ie just have characters stand nearby one another.)

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    He makes a mistake quoting Bethesda as game developer.The game was developed by ZeniMax , company that own Betsheda (but has no experience with making games)

Zenimax Online developed the game, Zenimax Media is the parent company and Bethesda Softworks will publish the game.

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Pretty spot on. Love it so far but it is Skyrim 2.0 to me (with the obvious disclaimer that no 'end-game' stuff has been tested/played).
  • R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I have to question VanOrd's assessment of ESO's soloability. In today's modern MMO's, being able to play solo, especially in low level content (which is all that he evaluated on that preview), is an aspect that has always been present. I would love to elaborate more on how I felt about the entire experience, but NDA.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Nadia

an omission that may not true - it seems ESO has no public quests  (from watching previews)

Warhammer flopped but it did bring public quests to the mmo world

Public quests are a fun way to interact w other strangers

watching the ESO preview, i was reminded of some mix of DDO + GW2 for artstyle

dated graphics but very nice lighting and everything seems like a solo quest

disclaimer:  any mmo newbie area is going to be infested w solo questing

its unclear if quests get better later

I've noticed the same thing as well. 

First time I played rift, at the very beginning of the game (even in the tutorial) there was "public quests".  Hell, the first zone I played in outside the tutorial saw the entire zone invaded by planar beings and had me running around closing rifts with a few dozen other people, and then fighting a giant world boss. 

I have yet to see anything remotely close to this from a single reviewer.  I don't think anyone has even talked about any kind of a public dungeon.  The closest I've seen is that everyone is rewarded for hitting a mob. 

They talked a lot about how they were put focus on the social aspect of it being an MMO and going to bring people together to play, but it seems like they put more things in there to segregate players than they did to bring them together.  I've seen it stated a few times by reviewers that it's actually rather difficult to even play with someone you know due to all the phasing barriers in place. 

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Itherael
    I have to question VanOrd's assessment of ESO's soloability. In today's modern MMO's, being able to play solo, especially in low level content (which is all that he evaluated on that preview), is an aspect that has always been present. I would love to elaborate more on how I felt about the entire experience, but NDA.

Trying to not break the NDA but there is a difference between soloability and no reason at all to group. He is talking about the latter.

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151
    There's a lot of things I believe the many reviews omit, aspects, both negative and positive, I find to be important to the overall enjoyment of the game. I really want to share them but the NDA.. you know. But I agree with the identity crisis and in my opinion the ES part suffers more than the MMORPG part.
    Originally posted by Sikhander

Trying to not break the NDA but there is a difference between soloability and no reason at all to group. He is talking about the latter.

Okay, what reason is there to group up in the first few levels of WoW, TOR, FF14: ARR, Age of Conan, Aion, LotRO, etc.? It just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining, for this has been true for pretty much every theme park that has come out in that last few years. They all cater to the solo players in the initial levels, and I honestly don't see a problem with this approach, for it allows the player to more easily get in tune with his character's capabilities and to familiarize himself with the gameplay.

• Those games have plenty of group content in the leveling phase.

Originally posted by Sikhander

Okay, what reason is there to group up in the first few levels of WoW, TOR, FF14: ARR, Age of Conan, Aion, LotRO, etc.? It just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining, for this has been true for pretty much every theme park that has come out in that last few years. They all cater to the solo players in the initial levels, and I honestly don't see a problem with this approach, for it allows the player to more easily get in tune with his character's capabilities and to familiarize himself with the gameplay.

Because if I'm playing with my friends or grinding in the same area with other people someone isn't getting XP, so we would group.

In a game that rewards everyone just for tagging the mob, there's no reason to group. 

Just because you can solo doesn't mean that there's no reason to group.  However there can be very good reason for not grouping, like there literally being no reason to. 

That's without even getting into the things that the RPS preview pointed out about the phasing and how it's actually difficult to play with friends. 

Originally posted by Axxar

Those games have plenty of group content in the leveling phase.

Sorry, but I disagree. I soloed all of WoW's starting zones, all of LotRO's starting zones, all of Tortage, all of Aion's starting zones, all of TOR's starting planets, and Gridania in FF14: ARR, and I never felt the need to group up with anyone, nor were there any remarkable incentives to do so.

Originally posted by Uhwop

Because if I'm playing with my friends or grinding in the same area with other people someone isn't getting XP, so we would group.

In a game that rewards everyone just for tagging the mob, there's no reason to group. 

Just because you can solo doesn't mean that there's no reason to group.  However there can be very good reason for not grouping, like there literally being no reason to. 

That's without even getting into the things that the RPS preview pointed out about the phasing and how it's actually difficult to play with friends. 

So removing kill-stealing is bad? The phasing, I will agree, has its drawbacks, but the added positives to the overall immersion and the story itself, in my opinion, far outweigh the negatives.

So removing kill-stealing is bad? The phasing, I will agree, has its drawbacks, but the added positives to the overall immersion and the story itself, in my opinion, far outweigh the negatives.

Not really saying it's bad. 

It doesn't provide reason to group though.  Neither have I ever seen it increase social interaction, it's been quite the opposite; it removes another reason to work with others and group up. 

Not really saying it's bad. 

It doesn't provide reason to group though.  Neither have I ever seen it increase social interaction, it's been quite the opposite; it removes another reason to work with others and group up. 

Yes, but you said: "In a game that rewards everyone just for tagging the mob, there's no reason to group." ESO rewards everyone that contributes meaningfully to killing a mob so that there is no kill stealing and so people can help each other without having to send a /party request to them.

• Raoul9753Raoul9753 Member Posts: 28
    To be fair: Until Endgame content in vanilla WoW I could also say "I dont get why this is a online game" cause the only time I had other players with me was to kill questmobs quicker...
    Seems like I am not even allowed to defend the game
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    A brief but really fair and balanced preview.
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Raoul9753
    Originally posted by DMKanoBut from watching online videos - one thing is clear - ESO has linear newbie quests up to level 10 it seems, and from what Joe and many other reviews said *you cannot skip newbie quests as you can't leave the zones before completing them*

Worst design ever - I abhor forced questing.

I hope this doesnt break NDA:

Just belive me:

Yes, it does break the NDA. NDA means, non-disclosure, as in you don't discuss the details of the game at all. Most agreements even go as far as saying you won't disclose your participation.

It's not that you aren't allowed to say more. It's that you're not allowed to say anything period. I won't report your post because I think it's stupid and I'm not the nda police, but it would be good if you and others could just abide by the agreement you made.

I just want to defend a good game. I only hate them for this crappy NDA stuff, cause I cant call on false anouncements in threads or even reviews...