Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

who thinks star citizen will be a beast?

i backed star citizen. Who here thinks this will blow eve out of water?

true sandbox space, i cant wait.

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It could but it really is a wait and see. Lets see some real gameplay first before we pass judgement.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    So you don't think ArchAge will be king? :3
  • RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    So you don't think ArchAge will be king? :3

+ 1 for you good sir!

This could end up being very interesting.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I really think this title will fail under it's designer's own hubris. 

With only top end systems being able to play, the player base will turn out too small to support it, as people will not want to keep funding it like they are the kickstarter. Most people who want to play this sort of game are already playing EVE and even if they jump ship to try the new shiny, they won't want to leave what the built in EVE, especially if they have to upgrade their system to play it.  

Really if this game is a success it will be a modest success at best. 

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Truthfully, I hope it's nothing like Eve......

As a backer myself, I'd like to see less mundane gameplay. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    I think this will be a lot of fun, but I have my doubts that it will actually turn out to be an MMO. We've heard that it will have a persistent universe, but what exactly this means has never fully been explained. Games like DayZ have a semi-persistent universe, but are certainly not what I would consider an MMO. The fact that Star Citizen can be played both single player and multiplayer has me a bit worried that this might turn out similar to that. I hope I'm wrong... 
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by archeageking

I highly doubt it. Although it has more interesting combat, its flight mechaincs feel rather arcadish and it wil have only like hundred star systems. I would rather bet on Elite as its world is really massive.

How would you know that when all we've seen is some very early dogfighting footage that Mr. Roberts himself has stated was not ready for public consumption and no one other than CIG employees have any actual play time? You don't.

As for the OPs question I honestly don't think EVE has anything to worry about as SC and EVE are two very different games. People who play EVE are not going to suddenly flock to SC no matter how good it may turn out. Why you may ask? Because people will play Star Citizen because it offers something that EVE doesn't... A more visceral experience whereas EVE is a more planned, methodical experience. Star Citizen will not be for everyone just as EVE isn't for everyone. EVE players play EVE because they like that slower paced "MMO" type experience. While I'm sure there will definitely be some crossover and some EVE defectors I don't think that SC will hurt EVE as they offer two very different play experiences. Many will play both games where SC won't have a sub so it's not like they will be paying 2 subs.

I think you'll find that the majority of "Ex-EVE" players that SC will see are the ones who tried EVE and didn't like it because "You are a ship".

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

It would have to be a proper full on mmorpg for that and as far as i know its not gonig to be a full on mmorpg.. So no the impact on eve will not be that big..

Still its going to be a bloody awesome game and I am pretty sure a lot of other people out there think the same due to the amount of cash they have made so far.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Dauntis

I really think this title will fail under it's designer's own hubris. 

With only top end systems being able to play, the player base will turn out too small to support it, as people will not want to keep funding it like they are the kickstarter. Most people who want to play this sort of game are already playing EVE and even if they jump ship to try the new shiny, they won't want to leave what the built in EVE, especially if they have to upgrade their system to play it.  

Really if this game is a success it will be a modest success at best. 

Why do you think only top end systems will be able to play this? Cryengine scales very well these days hell the engine even runs on the 360 so it will have no issues running on lower end computers.

I dont think it will have much of an effect on eve as they are two different types of games.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Star Citizen doesn't look like it will be a real sandbox, therefore it won't blow EvE anywhere.

Too many safemode compromises and catering AGAIN to single players in the online world.

Hooray for single player focused  MMOs.. meh

I'll stick with Eve and wait for Eve Vakylrie, true multiplayer sandbox or bust

Originally posted by Cura I would rather bet on Elite as its world is really massive.

lol, how's that supposed to happen?  Elite looks crappier than Eve and SC,  it has absolutely no group or player driven content, no cinematic story like SC, you can't conquer anything, you can't fight over anything, NPCs rule everything, player rules nothing, can't even own a persistant space station, there won't be planets at launch and also no player character models. And they are working on a shoestring budget.

• PaxtoPaxto Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I think SC is going to be a really great game. I myself am a backer and have also played eve. As another poster wrote, they are two different games. So blowing it out of the water probably will not happen. Besides eve has been around much too long for it to die off because another space game is coming into view. I believe that SC will be better then eve, but that just may be because I am tired of playing eve. Been at it since 2004. I doubt that I will ever really stop playing it, but trying something new and different would be a breathe of fresh air.
  • apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273

I backed SC too but as the pre-sales are going well they don;t seem to be in a rush of launching anything beside more ships.

It won;t blow eve  out of the water because the game is too different. It will put a dent in eve player-base but i don't predict too much impact after novelty factor is weared.

As for myself is stopped playing eve due to time constrains and i hope SC will be casual friendly (whenever will be released , aka soon, hopefuly not duke nukem soon)

Edit: I backed also elite dangerous as i spent hundred of hours playing eltte on spectrum. Ellite have the chance to actually blow out of the water SC because more serious developers.

• PlumoniumPlumonium Member Posts: 5
    I know it will, the amount of features will be incredible and immersion will be key. Additionally, next-gen computer are next-gen graphics.
  • PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Personally I am underwhelmed by Star Citizen, it doesnt "feel" like my cup of tea. But I do hope it will be a big hit.

Its time we get some new blood and different concepts into the gaming world. Its good for the mmo industry as a whole to see we DO want variations and that we still do want mmo's.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    I will not be playing it, but it is my opinion that Star Citizen will do very well.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    So far I'm beginning to doubt it'll actually materialize. While I see a good amount of hype and excitement about the game. I've given money ( with the expectation that I may never see any results or return.) and refuse to give anymore ( fool me once shame on you , fool me twice shame on me ) until I see substantially more tangible progress in the games development. I'm all for games that funded this way, but at some point you actually will need to produce and actual game to garner more support. So theoretical discussions are just that since a lot has been promised but little delivered.

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

Apples and oranges, once again....

I can understand people not having played CR's old games, or even EVE Online...but even a short glimpse of both concepts is enough to realize, and let me use a naive but selfexplanatory example here.

For Star Citizen you will need a Flightstick setup at least, or a Gamepad, perhaps an Oculus Rift too, or a Track IR, but for EVE, you only need a mouse and a keyboard.

For Star Citizen you will need to muster lots of Adrenaline, whereas for EVE, a lot of Patience.

Apples and oranges....simple as that.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

I'm a backer.  Should turn out to be a good game when it releases. (projected release date is 2015).

In the meantime, play around with my ships in the hanger module.  The dog fighting module will release soon, that will be fun.

Overall, can't wait.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

First version of dogfighting module will be shown at pax east in april. after that the game can no longer be considered vapourware. Also first 10 missions of SP campaign releasing in fall/winter of this year so this year we will see a lot of progress on the actual game as all of the work that has been going on for the past 6-8 months will be nearing completion.

Many people seem to fail to realize that most games are in production for 2 years before they are even announced so there are much farther along in development. With Star Citizen and many other kickstarter games you are seeing the game WELL before it is ready for public display. Just keep that in mind.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

One misconception I believe has been made that I'd like to clear up is that there will be 2 games,

1. "Squadron 42" single player with multi player options.

2. "Star Citizen" multiplayer in a persistent universe.

If you complete SQ 42 you gain citizenship in SC. CIG will be downloading expansions to SQ 42 after release, expanding the campaign further. These expansions shall affect and be affected by the persistent universe.

If you want to know more check out their youtube channel and website.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

It's Freelancer Online to me. If you can buy it you can fly it.

More to the question, lets be crazy generous and suppose there are 600K in EVE at the time of SC Launch. It would be in the benefit of SC to encourage those 600K to stay right where they are, be happy in EVE and move forward. It's the millions who have tried EVE, wanted a space game but didn't find what they wanted in EVE Online that SC should be looking at. SC can be the Game EVE Online wasn't, not the game EVE Online is.

this game will have everything I ever wanted from a space sim

massively multiplayer universe -- CHECK

territory control and hardcore PvP star systems -- CHECK

epic PvE missions -- CHECK

space trading, cargo and passenger transporting -- CHECK

player *and* NPC driven economy -- CHECK

capturing ships -- CHECK

mulitcrew ships -- CHECK

epic single player campaign like Wing Commander IV -- CHECK

celebrity voice acting and motion capturing, cinematic cutscenes -- CHECK

procedural generation -- CHECK

Ground based FPS missions and ship boarding -- CHECK

what else could I need, it will have everything and they have the budget, and Chris Roberts is a guarantee for the most epic space

sim one can imagine. This guy is driven by his own goals to make his game a reality.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

People can't make a difference between a promise and real thing...

Originally posted by Gdemami

People can't make a difference between a promise and real thing...

I never played a bad Chris Roberts game. If anyone can do it, he is the one.

If he just makes a modern "Privateer" and adds the online component -> done

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

You, the general 'Cult of Roberts' crew, and Roberts himself, all have an attitude reminiscent of the later era Napoleon.   'All I have to do is show up to gain the victory.'  Sadly, Chris Roberts has nowhere near the genius of Napolean.   I expect the game to be fully as good as his decade long string of mediocre to bad Hollywood films.  

His games rose and fell with the strength of his production crew.  Better hope he hired well. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.