Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The HERO System

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

The best gaming system I have come across yet is the pen and paper HERO system, by HERO Games. It was originally called Champions, then morphed into Fantasy Hero, Justice, Inc., Danger International, Robot Warriors, and Star Hero. It was originally created by George MacDonald and Steve Peterson in 1981.

Anyway, the system is a simple one. Every character starts out the same, with the same stats and abilities. Then, they are given a pool of character points to spend however they wish, improving attributes and acquiring skills (or abilities or powers, depending on the setting). The roleplaying came from what is known as Disadvantages. This is where characters became more deep. You get get extra character building points by making your character weak in some way. Maybe your character has a dependent NPC that gets into trouble from time to time, creating adventures. Maybe your Ice Powered Super Hero is vulnerable to water based attacks. Perhaps your barbarian warrior has an aversion to magic. Perhaps you choose to be hunted, either by a single NPC or a group of them. Anyway, these disadvantages figured into the gameplay.

The sky was the limit, along with each player's (and GM's) imagination. These guys gave the players a basic set of rules and let the players create what they desired within those basic rules. Spells in the Fantasy setting were whatever the character could think up. Powers in the Super Hero setting were similar, and bonuses were given for a good concept, like all fire-based powers. They even had rules for "extra limbs", so making a non-human character was included.

I'd give my life savings (all 5 nickels worth) to see these rules implemented into a video game design, be it single player or multi-player.

Has anyone played with this system? If so, what settings?

Is there a role playing game system you have found that strikes just the right chord with you?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments