Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Landmark: The 90 Minute Challenge

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

While EverQuest Next: Landmark’s Alpha doesn’t lend itself too easily to going in without a lot of information beforehand  (In fact, I’d essentially given up going in completely blind 10 minutes after building my character), I thought the Landmark Alpha could afford one of my 90 minute challenges.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s EverQuest Next: Landmark: The 90 Minute Challenge.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

"its not F2p. its not open beta, its not beta,its not closed beta, its ALPHA!!!!!"

its a great start but those of you who intend to jump right in n play...read above quote...

i will be re logging into the game perhaps once a month to update the patches...

otherwise its a great experience for any  of scholar dev.

great review.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    ^ what?

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Lol what? Indeed
  • SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    @orbitxo have you even played the game?
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

I jumped right in as I always do, had a polished granite 5 large block high tower built, took me 8 hours of game time, then discovered what template actual means and lost tower, but lesson learnt.

Its not that hard to stumble through learning by trail and error only, even  in Alpha 60% feature mode.

For an Alpha it is quite smooth, seen hellishly worse than this in so called Beta stage .

Just completed iron pick rare, dug a tunnel straight through a mountain and hollowed out a large square and timed how long it took.

Trail and error for me is more fun than documents, however I have a number of destroyed appliances at home that stand testament that its not always the best way LOL.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    So orbitox paid at least 60 bucks to log in and patch?  Strange indeed hehe!  I struggled the first few days, but am getting the hang of it now.  I didn't think you could zoom, assuming it wasn't in the alpha at first.   I always notice that a lot of mmos don't make it easy to learn all aspects of the game, or it takes a bunch of digging to find out where the real guide is if it even exists.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

The part that reminds me of Everquest the most...

is the title.

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by kruler

I jumped right in as I always do, had a polished granite 5 large block high tower built, took me 8 hours of game time, then discovered what template actual means and lost tower, but lesson learnt.

Its not that hard to stumble through learning by trail and error only, even  in Alpha 60% feature mode.

For an Alpha it is quite smooth, seen hellishly worse than this in so called Beta stage .

Just completed iron pick rare, dug a tunnel straight through a mountain and hollowed out a large square and timed how long it took.

Trail and error for me is more fun than documents, however I have a number of destroyed appliances at home that stand testament that its not always the best way LOL.

I would think Destroyed virtual mountains is safer than destroyed real appliances. :) 

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

So from what I have read, we can pay SOE to let us test this Landmarks game which is more or less about digging holes and building towers, that most likely will not mean crap when EQ Next comes out? 

I am so lost on this concept...

Not so nice guy!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I noticed a lot of MMO's are so short on directions they are including in game browsers so the player can look up guides while they play.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I don't think everybody had to pay to get into Alpha though. I sure as hell didn't. Mistake maybe? Works for me.

I wonder if people would be upset i they knew whatever they paid for I got for free too. Hmm.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111

So far this seems like Minecraft with better graphics and no enemies. Is there something I am missing?

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    ^ nailed it. Good job. Would you like a cookie?

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• TumoraTumora Member UncommonPosts: 21
    my question, is landmark worth installing?
  • lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    ^ nailed it. Good job. Would you like a cookie?

I'd like a cookie, thanks for asking.

Not so nice guy!