Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge is now Westernized even in South Korea

2»

Comments

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    OP had false hope to begin with. Even before it's Westernization it was an obvious WoW clone, the only difference being more emphasis on crafting and nothing to do at max level(attained in a few days btw).

And this is coming from an obvious troll... Who doesn't know anything about AA.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Almost no-one has played it, so what they've never played they won't miss.  I hope it hasn't been dumbed down too much though.

The game is doing better in Japan than it was in Korea, but at the same time its being unpopular in Korea is coming from the fact that so many other MMOs have a very high playerbase, so "fail" there can still be far better than games here. The game had over 300,000 players in Korea last time I heard. 

The sad thing is that they are hoping by westernizing it they will make it popular in the West to offset losing more players in Korea and Japan, and they will lose players in Japan. I have never seen so many Japanese players publicly verbalize their anger before. (I have been playing it since the Japanese beta).

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Originally posted by 43%burnt
    Westernization would discribe things like the removal of a stamina/energy system, lessening the grind, adding more ingame models, tuning down the weeaboo-factor, removal of auto-questing and hell, even the localization.

Do you even know what Weeaboo means?!?

Its a Korean game, not a Japanese game.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Almost no-one has played it, so what they've never played they won't miss.  I hope it hasn't been dumbed down too much though.

The game is doing better in Japan than it was in Korea, but at the same time its being unpopular in Korea is coming from the fact that so many other MMOs have a very high playerbase, so "fail" there can still be far better than games here. The game had over 300,000 players in Korea last time I heard. 

The sad thing is that they are hoping by westernizing it they will make it popular in the West to offset losing more players in Korea and Japan, and they will lose players in Japan. I have never seen so many Japanese players publicly verbalize their anger before. (I have been playing it since the Japanese beta).

It is impossible to know what XL is doing because they have made these changes without any feedback at all. In addition, they have yet to make any statement on their position whatsoever since the big patch. To the best of my knowledge, version 1.0 never even hit the public test server for ANYONE to see prior to release. Now even after the massive outcry about these changes, both XL and Trion remain quiet for us all to draw our own conclusions like we all have for the past year.  Hell they could look at how much AA dropped in rank in KR since the patch, most publishers/devs would address this in some way by now to at least appear that they care about their player base.

Originally posted by steelwind

It is impossible to know what XL is doing because they have made these changes without any feedback at all. In addition, they have yet to make any statement on their position whatsoever since the big patch. To the best of my knowledge, version 1.0 never even hit the public test server for ANYONE to see prior to release. Now even after the massive outcry about these changes, both XL and Trion remain quiet for us all to draw our own conclusions like we all have for the past year.  Hell they could look at how much AA dropped in rank in KR since the patch, most publishers/devs would address this in some way by now to at least appear that they care about their player base.

Umm ok, did I say something that made you think I thought otherwise?!?

Unless you are thinking that I am just drawing my own conclusions that they are westernizing the game in hopes to make it more popular here, which there is no chance they are not because no Korean company turns their Eastern style game into a more western style game to do otherwise.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by steelwind

Umm ok, did I say something that made you think I thought otherwise?!?

Unless you are thinking that I am just drawing my own conclusions that they are westernizing the game in hopes to make it more popular here, which there is no chance they are not because no Korean company turns their Eastern style game into a more western style game to do otherwise.

Not at all, sorry if it seemed that way.

Was more just elaborating on the failures.