Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Big 3 ARPGs

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

Now that these games have been out for quite a while, the rabid fanboyism should have died down a bit.

A question for those who have played all three games:

Excluding the cost of purchase as a consideration and basing your opinion on gameplay only, which of these three do you think is the best of the three ARPGs and why? What are the merits of your game of choice?

Comments

• Cellarkid88Cellarkid88 Member UncommonPosts: 56

I voted on Path of Exile.

While opinions may differ I really like the currency system and the way you can make different builds and design the skills yourself. Of course not everything is made for "endgame" but a lot of different builds were enjoyable and fun on the way.

The cash shop is there but will not ruin anyones game - indeed i find it awesome that they offer alternate skill animations and effects. The only downside are the 3 acts and the fact that mapping starts very late game.

Path of exile became a game that i gladly return to when i had a lot of work and only have like 30 mins to play for the rest of the day. Given that with Path of Exile you get a really good game that truly does not require you to spent 1 cent. I really like it.

Winning a discussion is not what it's about. If you could pass insight to someone or learn something from it in return - noone can really loose, can they?

• MasterdevilMasterdevil Member Posts: 1

I think you're forgetting Marvel Heroes. While it had an atrocious start, the game has gone through multiple instances of completely revamping on how the game works and had so much content added to it that I would qualify it on par with Diablo3.

Torchlight 2 on the other hand went by like a silent wind.

But my vote goes to Path of Exile for obvious reasons. It's simply the much more diverse and complex game, two factors which are important to any true ARPG. The other three simply blow when it comes to any sort of theory crafting builds.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I haven't played Marvel Heroes and I honestly didn't know what type of game it was. There is also Van Helsing, but I haven't heard much about that, either.

I may give Marvel a look.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    As I am on my mobile, I can't see the options but am assuming the three are tl2 diablo 3 and Poe. I have played all three. TL 2 I played the least. It all felt pointless. For me action RPGs are about loot and tl2 is bad for this IMO because of no closed server. It makes all your loot pointless. Poe was nice but I found the graphics bland and the combat system boring compared to d3. I would say d3 is the best out of these. I played it the longest and I think it will only get better with the new expansion. This is why I love blizzard games, they have amazing post sale for their games. TL2 has no future as there are no planned expansions or content or support for the game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GathamGatham Member UncommonPosts: 8

PoE for skill tree and skill gem Combos. but ist more of a science to build a decent char for hi-lvl content

D3...well,just for fun,graphics are nice,Story is ok,but i lost interest after beating the game the first time . way more casual than poe

torchlight 1/2  after playing a few hours i didnt like it, even cant tell you why, it just didnt draw me in,no immersion

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I have played all three.

For me and the group of friends I play with D3 has been by far the most played. I have put plenty of hours into POE and TL2 but for some reason they did not get played much after a couple of months. I still hop on D3 regularly and so do others I know and play with.

Several of us are waiting on D3 x pac and will put plenty of hours into it as well.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I'll let my hours played tell you:

Marvel Heroes: 600 hours

D3: 175 hours

POE: 100 hours

TL2: 30 hours

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I have more hours in marvel as well and enjoy playing the heroes the most. I don' tlove it to death and put in massive hours but I do enjoy playing it off and on. That game is going forwards for sure and getting better with every patch.

PoE has an incredible skill tree system that you could mess around with forever building different combos and if you like character progression and don't mind grinding you could really play that game forever. The graphics are ugly and the game play is ... average but it's free and worth playing. I spent some money on the cash shop and don't regret it.

D3 has great graphics and the combat is very nice but the game itself .... not bad but not great ?

TL2 just felt hollow. Nothing about it made me want to keep going or keep playing. The character progression was lame and basic the gear was just kind of there. I didn't last long at all. I'm glad I only paid $5 for it.

So of the 4 TL2 is the only one I wouldn't give a pass to but that may just be because the game didn't suit my style of play or choice in graphics.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I like diablo the best.  PoE has a very nice build system, but it can be pretty complex and you need to research / plan out your long path ahead of time.  I hate the map system in PoE as it is very tedious to go from place to place.  I also dont like the map overlay as it is hard to determine where you have / have not been or need to go.  I dont mind exploring as I try to uncover every nook and cranny in Daiblo I just wish PoE was more polished.  The combat is OK just does not seem as crisp as diablo.  PoE is definitely more hardcore so if your looking for a grindy ARPG then i would definitely go for that.  I dont really have the attention span for either game as I think it is extremely tedious to play through the same game 4 times (at least in diablos case)