Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turning in my FPS card

WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I dunno what it is about the game, maybe I am just getting old or something, but I am terrible at this type of FPS game. I figured I would give it a shot because I am a Station Pass subscriber and there is usually some kind of member perk to the SOE games.

Perhaps I just don't get the class/loadout screen... There is so much information that I am not sure how to process what is what... Seem this is more a game for a FPS veteran that knows what ll that stuff is.

I read another thread on the board that says it's hackers? Or there are hackers? I dunno... I just think I am bad at this type of game as I was never really a CoD/BF guy... I do ok in games like Warframe and Defiance and even Firefall... but those are mainly PvE games...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

You have to get used to the quick time to kill, and just let deaths fall off of you. Even experienced players die a lot, so don't let that be an indicator of how you are doing.

If one on one close up fights are too hard for you right now, try doing some sniping or use the light assault to do flanking attacks. Also another good thing to do is to support others by being a medic or an engineer. You will gain points that you can put into Nano-weave to get a little bit of damage mitigation.

As for the loadout screen, you will master that quickly.

I played Planetside 1 and when I got into beta for PS2 the game didn't instantly grab me. I would play for a bit and then log off, and that repeated a couple of times. By the third time I came back I was having fun and learning the game.

My advice is to shrug off deaths, explore the game in your own way, and give it a few chances.

Also Vanu is the easiest faction to play, so make sure you make a character that is purple.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Planetside has a fairly short TTK (Time To Kill), so you will die a lot, even if you DO know what you're doing. The busy fights get totally chaotic, and you can be killed in dozens of ways from as many directions. While trying to avoid being killed by tanks, planes, infantry, turrets,mines and grenades all at the same time, you have to learn to compensate for bullet drop over distance and significant weapon recoil while firing.

Combine that with the fact that there are MANY veteran players that know the maps and buildings backward by now.

If you are an online-FPS n00b like me, the first time someone sees you they will kill you. I'm unbelievably bad at infantry play, I think the only people I've ever killed (intentionally) with a rifle were AFK at the time. My PS2 playtime consists of driving Lightning tanks, 90% of the time as AAA gunner with a Skyguard. The moment I get out of my vehicle, I'm just there to pad someone else's stats, lol

Yeah you just have to get out of the "Don't die" mindset for a while. So what if someone kills you, it's a giant war with real estate to take, there is a lot you can do even if you are mainly just drawing the attention of their CQC jockeys.

And I agree that vehicles and base turrets are a good way to do some shooting.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    If you are bad at killing you could always play a Medic or other support roll. Everyone dies :)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OP, i suggest you try a different way of approaching PS2. You will die a lot in PS2 and that is fairly common practice in that game, but dont be discouraged, its not your fault (not entirely). Im not playing anymore, for now, but i had two ways of playing. My normal playstyle was using the Engineer, playing at my own pace, dying a lot but trying to be careful and helping others with repairs and turrets and anti tank mines)

On the other hand, my second playstyle was with the heavy assault class (the one with rocket launcher). WIth a rocket launcher guy i also died a lot but i only used the rocket launcher to score my kills.... aim for a group of enemies and start shooting, lots and lots of kills (including tanks)

If you feel you are dying too much and not scoring enough kills, try the rocket launcher guy lol.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Woopin
    If you are bad at killing you could always play a Medic or other support roll. Everyone dies :)

^I second this^

Support roles are great because people always need healing/resurrecting and vehicles and maxes always need repairs.  A support class will allow you to fill an important role while teaching you to stay near other teammates.  You don't need to be a good CoD player to be good at PS2 mainly becuase PS2 is a lot more team oriented and dependent.  If the support role doesn't sound appealing then try just being a tank driver (as an engineer so you can repair yourself).  You can rack up a lot of infantry kills with a tank as long as you play smart and methodical.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by rojo6934

OP, i suggest you try a different way of approaching PS2. You will die a lot in PS2 and that is fairly common practice in that game, but dont be discouraged, its not your fault (not entirely). Im not playing anymore, for now, but i had two ways of playing. My normal playstyle was using the Engineer, playing at my own pace, dying a lot but trying to be careful and helping others with repairs and turrets and anti tank mines)

On the other hand, my second playstyle was with the heavy assault class (the one with rocket launcher). WIth a rocket launcher guy i also died a lot but i only used the rocket launcher to score my kills.... aim for a group of enemies and start shooting, lots and lots of kills (including tanks)

If you feel you are dying too much and not scoring enough kills, try the rocket launcher guy lol.

Or he could go LA with C4 :)

Just fly over packed bases find a group of people jump out the aircraft hover over them with LA dropping C4 pressies all around them then detonate..

There is so many ways to get kills in the game not all are about shooting people. 

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

I'm a bit of a vet with FPSs but I found PS2s tempo pretty overwhelming at first (and confusing mass of gear options as well...) so I spent my first week or two playing support roles, not trying to actually kill anyone, just running along, helping out and learning... Actually the game is extremely rewarding for support classes, especially engineers. Killing stuff is not the only way to get xp, not by far.

I'd suggest the following:

1) Play a support role, either medic or engineer. I'd suggest engi first since the xp is easily the best in the game (drop an ammo box somewhere hot and listen to those sweet pings...) Just don't let a max drag you into the line of fire while you're repairing and watch out for those tanks (never, and i mean NEVER stand behind one)

Eventually you'll get into situations where you'll have to defend yourself - your first kills and training for a more offensive role later on, if you still wish to do so.

2) Never go out alone. When you log in see if there's an open platoon doing something. Get into a good outfit. Supporting platoon members gives you a hefty xp bonus so stick with them!

3) Save your certs. Save them. You'll pretty soon get an idea what you want with them. Test stuff out in VR before purchasing. A hint: most starter equipment is pretty decent, especially weapons. Spend certs on basic class abilities first and buy a new gun once you find out if you want more precision or damage or utility...

4) Don't get upset over your k/d. Dying in this game is immaterial. Happens all the time. The important thing is to accomplish the group goal, whatever it is. That's what makes PS2 so much fun for me - teamplay, doing crazy stuff for the win. Obsessing over who killed who how many times is utterly boring and frankly, a bit creepy. Just enjoy yourself.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

lol healers are the first to die, no one NO ONE looks out for the healer but expect us to be there or come running whenever they get a boo boo. its a thankless job especially in a shooter zerg like this

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

lol healers are the first to die, no one NO ONE looks out for the healer but expect us to be there or come running whenever they get a boo boo. its a thankless job especially in a shooter zerg like this

Yeah, being a good medic does call for sticking to the front... That's why I'd suggest an engi for the first role - there's good certs to be made in repairing busted phalanx turrets. :)

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

While I haven't played PS2 yet (it's been sitting on my hard drive forever though), for the short time I played PS1 I found myself far more effective as a gunner on one of the many transport craft available then as a soldier on the ground. Eventually I got myself a minigun (Terrans forever!) & got better at infantry play, even though half the time I was arguing with morons who kept jumping into my line of fire all the goddamn time, then bitching about it...

Protip: If you see a guy laying down suppressing fire, don't run in front of him!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Yeah, being a good medic does call for sticking to the front... That's why I'd suggest an engi for the first role - there's good certs to be made in repairing busted phalanx turrets. :)

As an engy you are essentially a healer too for vehicles and maxs. As a medic you can rez though which can be very helpful. Just don't rez guys who are dead in a hallway with a hail of fire coming at them continuously, they will just die instantly.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Thanks for all the replies... 

I really just think it's the "boom head shot" action that I really can't grasp... by the time I raise my weapon I am dead LOL...

It's ok I just accept that this really just isn't my bag and that I'm just not cut out for this kind of game play... I actually am just as bad at MOBA's

I figured I would give it a shot considering that I have been a long time Station pass subber.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I understand what the OP is feeling, but PS2's time to kill is nowhere nearly as insane as the later Call of Duty titles, I remember with the first Black Ops was incredibly fast paced it wasn't even that fun to begin with. Now with the nanoweave changes, everyone's going for headshots, I got a 9 kills killstreak which all had headshots, it was stupidly easy.

But with the rapidly diminishing population in this game, I find myself playing less and less, I actually came back from a 5 month break and already feeling like I'm wasting my time.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

While I haven't played PS2 yet (it's been sitting on my hard drive forever though), for the short time I played PS1 I found myself far more effective as a gunner on one of the many transport craft available then as a soldier on the ground. Eventually I got myself a minigun (Terrans forever!) & got better at infantry play, even though half the time I was arguing with morons who kept jumping into my line of fire all the goddamn time, then bitching about it...

Protip: If you see a guy laying down suppressing fire, don't run in front of him!

In my experience, if people can't stay out of the line of fire of a tank or a Max, then you have no chance if its just the average bod with an assault rifle, sometimes i think friendly fire is just a hazard of the 'job', which doesn't really make it any less annoying, but it can't be helped.image

• wildclawwildclaw Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

But with the rapidly diminishing population in this game, I find myself playing less and less, I actually came back from a 5 month break and already feeling like I'm wasting my time.

Rapidly declining? The population has gone up lately and is now as far as I can see the highest since June.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

I play healers in games and will say in PS2...don't...as a method to learn the game. Green lines = heals and you'll be marked and farmed if by any access point (where all the bodies will be stacked to revive; or where all the good healing will be).

Also put some Certs into a vehicle, especially Harassers, and out fit it with a cannon type weapon. You can usually safely offer fire support when trying to capture stations (not many kills, but this is how you can watch where enemies come/go, and access points to A/B/C/D flags to take). Keep the enemy's heads down and stop them from freely moving about is key to taking those stations, box them in.

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

I think you are way off.  I played for a few months at release, then gave it up.  I just re-downloaded it yesterday, looking for a little something different from the games I've been playing recently.  I expected a ghost town, or at least a diminished population.  Surprisingly, there was as much or more action than what I remember from many months ago.  The game is still going strong.

Don't sweat the deaths.  No matter how skilled you are, you will die a lot.  Measure your performance by what you were able to accomplish before the inevitable death.  I take great pride in eliminating the enemy's ammo supply, one bullet at a time.