Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early signs that the Imperial Edition is selling very well

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Honestly............... no one ever doubted that ESO would sell a huge amount of boxes.

The doubts are on how many subscriptions will have left after the first month.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Originally posted by psiic
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by Purutzil

That and since Imperial Edition is selling a race (which btw, is scummy as all hell for a box/sub game) its quite likely people even remotely thinking of the game who (stupidly) don't want to miss out on something (that shouldn't be there) will buy the game in order to avoid missing out.

Honest question, why do you think it's scummy to add a race in a Collector's Edition?

Absolutely not, I mean honestly how many elder scrolls players ever even play the imperial race? 

I have NEVER played imperial and won't in ESO either. 

The real question is, is everyone such liars and hatemongers these days that they will continue to try and make an issue about the imperial race, when their real hate-monging is over the subscription based model.

Personally I have 6 friends that have all bought the CE, and EVERY last one of us feels that we have gotten the best deal/value on a Collector's Edition in our memory.

I mean most of us got it with the %25 off coupon, but a few grabbed the ubisoft deal with the free $60 game add on. Either way it's hella cheaper than any other CE I've bought in the past 6-7 years even with a 6 month sub added on.

I have talked to many of my online friends as well.  There are many of us who have bought the boxed and digital CE.  

Yeah I bought the Imp. digital ce as it was easy to find a discount or a special offer, which I can't really say the same for any other mmo I bought at release. I did so for the other stuff and the discount, couldn't care less about the Imperial race.

• TedronaiTedronai Member UncommonPosts: 67

I also bought the CE digital now from gmg with the 20% coupon and registered my code but didn't see any message about it being a CE code, only headstart.

But that's maybe working as intended?

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    So in other words, you'll be a rare breed if you're not an Imperial...heh
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

These are largely single player game experiences, wrapped up in a MMO box, is it really surprising their sales pattern follows single player titles almost to the letter?

Couple that with fact that at the end of the day these games really aren't expensive for the average gamer and you can count on this title selling well at launch.

Only question really outstanding is the retention rate post launch, we'll find out soon enough.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Tedronai

I also bought the CE digital now from gmg with the 20% coupon and registered my code but didn't see any message about it being a CE code, only headstart.

But that's maybe working as intended?

I had the same question, here's the answer :

"Thank you for contacting us. To clarify if you purchase the Imperial Edition the following will happen. It will not appear in your purchased games till the full key is issued. When the full key is issued it will provide you with the additional items the Imperial Edition has. All users shall receive the Explores pack not matter which version the bought. Hope this helps."

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Karteli

Selling more CE's is likely what Zenimax was expecting.  The unknown factor though is how many potential buyers for the standard edition got put back on the fence, after perceiving Zenimax differently.  This would keep standard-edition sales low.

Everything can be put with a spin.  For instance, another big IP that got hyped up a couple years ago limited their CE's .. and sold out like 5 times or so, just for the free press releases.  CE's were plentiful after launch in that case, and even went to retailers to be liquidated 50-80% off (6 months post-launch); there was way to many produced.

VGChartz may be useful for comparison, although if I recall it is for US data only.  (http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/)

I think if the CE put people on the fence then I think they were probably on the fence to begin with. For me I was going to buy it anyway and the perks for CE is just a bonus. There is just to much fun to be had to let that stand in your way when there is no disadvantage in gameplay for not having the CE.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    The average gamer has no idea why they are supposed to be mad about it. The impression you get on forums is so far off from what normal video game consumers think. This game won't have any trouble doing well at all.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Clear sign that buyers felt the Imperial Edition had the minimal features they required. This is the strangest approach to client selling thus far. It is like a hybrid of a f2p/cash shop model built into client box/digital sales.

You stay sassy!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

That and since Imperial Edition is selling a race (which btw, is scummy as all hell for a box/sub game) its quite likely people even remotely thinking of the game who (stupidly) don't want to miss out on something (that shouldn't be there) will buy the game in order to avoid missing out.

Honest question, why do you think it's scummy to add a race in a Collector's Edition?

The real question is, is everyone such liars and hatemongers these days that they will continue to try and make an issue about the imperial race, when their real hate-monging is over the subscription based model.

Um... I actually a subscriber for FF14 right now... my disdain is for the selling of a race on a sub game.  Nice attempt to sidestep the issue by trying to make it about something else though instead of ignoring the fact they are trying to screw over the CONSUMER. 

You can like a game and hate what a company is doing to try to cash in more profit from its players you know. There is nothing saying you have to be a loyal fanboy to terrible business practices. You can like a game a hate what they do with it for money, just as someone can hate a game and like what they are doing as far as supporting a consumer goes.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Um... I actually a subscriber for FF14 right now... my disdain is for the selling of a race on a sub game.  Nice attempt to sidestep the issue by trying to make it about something else though instead of ignoring the fact they are trying to screw over the CONSUMER. 

You can like a game and hate what a company is doing to try to cash in more profit from its players you know. There is nothing saying you have to be a loyal fanboy to terrible business practices. You can like a game a hate what they do with it for money, just as someone can hate a game and like what they are doing as far as supporting a consumer goes.

This post still leaves me curious. Why specifically do you think having a race attached to a CE is 'scummy' and screws over the consumer? Is it simply because something that you want is locked behind a price higher than you're willing to pay, or are there other issues at play that color your opinion?

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

This post still leaves me curious. Why specifically do you think having a race attached to a CE is 'scummy' and screws over the consumer? Is it simply because something that you want is locked behind a price higher than you're willing to pay, or are there other issues at play that color your opinion?

Why is it scummy?  You know this has been answered a thousand times.  Do you think people who lie are scummy?  If you say you are going the sub route because you don't want to have pay gates for content.   Then turn around and do the complete opposite.... People keep confusing the issue as being about money, when its more about trust.  Remember when factions absolutely had to be locked? Well unless you pay to open that too.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by funyahns
    Blah Blah Blah...

Why is it scummy?  You know this has been answered a thousand times.  Do you think people who lie are scummy?  If you say you are going the sub route because you don't want to have pay gates for content.   Then turn around and do the complete opposite.... People keep confusing the issue as being about money, when its more about trust.  Remember when factions absolutely had to be locked? Well unless you pay to open that too.

I bought it because I wanted it and can afford it. I'm just glad they aren't going F2P and I would of bought the CE anyway even if they didn't offer the race.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by rodarin

Was there something in response to my post that you meant to say before you took off in your usual tangent?

Yes how you said they described 'every MMO player'.

You were semi correct but you left out the part that I filled in. That it doesnt matter now if they quit or not the companies have your money before the game is released.

So until people stop buying games they dont know anything about before theyre released it will continue.

Nah. it will happen regardless of the game. That's my whole point.

"Three months and out" is the norm simply because there are just so many other things to try and play. We gamers like "new" above anything else and we all have wandering eyes. The best we ever do now if we really, really love the shit out of game is keep playing it somewhat along with the new shiny that caught our eye.

I really like this game a lot. But that doesn't mean I'm not also interested in Wildstar, Archeage, The Repopulation, Star Citizen, The Division and EQNext...just off the top of my head.

We're two-timing sluts, everyone of us image

Speak for yourself, If i like it I'll stick with it, I cant juggle to many games at once anyway:D

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by funyahns

A race isn't really content... it's fluff really. It's not even a cool race! And the no faction lock, all you have to do is pre-order.

Actually, this is kind of a good way to do this. Since both these things aren't something that should be too common. So this at least makes it a little less common than absolutely everyone doing it.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    Originally posted by rodarin

Was there something in response to my post that you meant to say before you took off in your usual tangent?

Yes how you said they described 'every MMO player'.

You were semi correct but you left out the part that I filled in. That it doesnt matter now if they quit or not the companies have your money before the game is released.

So until people stop buying games they dont know anything about before theyre released it will continue.

Nah. it will happen regardless of the game. That's my whole point.

"Three months and out" is the norm simply because there are just so many other things to try and play. We gamers like "new" above anything else and we all have wandering eyes. The best we ever do now if we really, really love the shit out of game is keep playing it somewhat along with the new shiny that caught our eye.

I really like this game a lot. But that doesn't mean I'm not also interested in Wildstar, Archeage, The Repopulation, Star Citizen, The Division and EQNext...just off the top of my head.

We're two-timing sluts, everyone of us image

Speak for yourself, If i like it I'll stick with it, I cant juggle to many games at once anyway:D

Prude :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

If they manage to keep up with a regular content schedule and provide people with enough to do consistently, then there is no limit to how far the game can go.

All recent MMOs releases have no managed to past fast enough at all. It took FFXIV 5 months to even get their first patch out the door, most of the community dropped off hard as a result. (also see SWTOR, TERA, GW2)

Bethesda said they're targeting 4-6 week patches with regular story updates. Sort of similar to how LOTRO did Chapter updates for anyone who played.

I'm excited, the early sales are about what I expected. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I can speculate on how the game will do because I simply have no idea. And sorry to say, nor does anyone else. Comparing to subpar products on the market which were rushed out the door is no comparison at all.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Khrymson

Nords and imperials everywhere..

/SMH

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by Ineveraskforthis
    Originally posted by Khrymson

Nords and imperials everywhere..

/SMH

You're sacrificing what might be pretty decent racials to choose Imperial, though.

As someone who's going to play a Restoration Templar, I definitely don't see Imperial for him.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

If I play a game for 3 months I don't leave disappointed. If I play longer, it's a bonus. Sure I'd love to play a game for years but I'm not sure I wouldn't get bored of any game after a few months.

A single player game that's $60 and only has 9 hrs of game play pisses me off....not an mmo with 60+ for the same price.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

Well for one, they lied twice. They chose the sub model and specifically stated they did it so their players are not blocked by pay gates and will have 100% of the content. They also specifically mention that race faction lock was needed.

Two, Imperials have always been a part of the elder scrolls series. This isn't an "extra unique" race. This is a race that should come standard with the game. When you use a very popular IP, you are expected to keep to a standard of that IP.

Three, others are using the excuse that it isn't a popular race. Why does that matter? Essentially you are all saying if it was a popular race, THEN you would care. That is hypocritical. Just because it is a race you particularly do not like, doesn't make that a good excuse. That is childish.

Four, Where is the limit, if this is ok? Would you see it as ok to sell 2 races as different CE boxes? How about 3? If we continue to allow this, how far can companies take this? EA, got some major crap and voted the worst company in America for pulling crap like this. Now all of a sudden it's ... just ok? It's not EA .. it's Zenimax doing it, so it's ok?

I am going to honest upfront here, and it's not like I ever kept it a secret either. I had not planned on buying the game even before this news. However, I am a fan of the elder scrolls series, and I was looking forward to this game. Heck, I am one of those people who wished for a TES MMO. My wish came true, yet it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Essentially what you are all doing, is being scammed. You go to a restaurant and buy a burger that is suppose to come with fries, as it shows on the picture in description. However, the waiter tells you other wise and says it will be an extra $5. Are you really going to pay for it?

Apparently so. This is exactly what Zenimax did. They said 100% of the content would be available to us, then they tell you otherwise and say .. "Oh .. no sorry that is an extra $20." You all take out your wallets as if this is normal business practice.

Shocks me even more, because there is a lot of you against Free to play. Yet this is clearly a Free to play sort of gimmick.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    It will sell extremely well, and have tons of players for the first month at least. Simply because it has the Elder Scrolls name attached to it. I know plenty of people who are buying it, a lot of them haven't even ever played an MMORPG, they are just buying it because they really like the series and want to try it in a co op form, and this is the way to do that for them even if they know it will be incredibly different than the normal games. In fact I'll probably end up buying it just because I really like the world and the lore in general and hopes it will be great, but who knows. 
  • PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Originally posted by Karteli

Selling more CE's is likely what Zenimax was expecting.  The unknown factor though is how many potential buyers for the standard edition got put back on the fence, after perceiving Zenimax differently.  This would keep standard-edition sales low.

Everything can be put with a spin.  For instance, another big IP that got hyped up a couple years ago limited their CE's .. and sold out like 5 times or so, just for the free press releases.  CE's were plentiful after launch in that case, and even went to retailers to be liquidated 50-80% off (6 months post-launch); there was way to many produced.

VGChartz may be useful for comparison, although if I recall it is for US data only.  (http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/)

I think if the CE put people on the fence then I think they were probably on the fence to begin with. For me I was going to buy it anyway and the perks for CE is just a bonus. There is just to much fun to be had to let that stand in your way when there is no disadvantage in gameplay for not having the CE.

Holy $#!^ man!  Check the weekending on that, that's before the CE annoucement.  Those numbers are the ones that had already preordered from Amazon and other retailers before they had any information or even officially announced the preorder..

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    The average gamer has no idea why they are supposed to be mad about it. The impression you get on forums is so far off from what normal video game consumers think. This game won't have any trouble doing well at all.

aint that the truth. for example, your average gamer isn't going to rage because of some supposed promise the devs broke lol