Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge 1.0 - Welcome to themepark

Comments

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Xiaoki
    Yeah, a casual player can log in for 10 minutes and accomplish something ....and then quickly have that something stolen by a hardcore player.

Cant believe people are actually arguing that sandbox MMOs are more casual friendly than themepark MMOs.

Just unbelievable.

Right because you couldn't have just logged into SWG, dropped a harvester, logged off, logged back in the next day to enough materials to build a ton of items, which you just dropped into a factory and logged back out, to log back in whenever to have it done for you.

Name me one themepark you could do that in. Better yet, name me a themepark that doesn't make you do instances for hours on end for the next tear gear grind.

More over, name me one FFA PVP game where everyone that kills you is magically "hardcore".

Just unbelievable indeed, you clearly don't know what hardcore even means.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Ugh...I was hoping I could avoid all of the no risk boring questing. Now they make questing almost a requirement. So there is only one slot for looting and you only get 60 percent of the loot in that slot....hahaha. I will still try the game but the writing is on . The writing is on the wall...they want this to be another no risk boring themepark quest grinder. As if the genre doesn't already have enough of this....
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Karteli

As long as people like you and myself keep talking, then we will both have a better chance of getting what we want!

I have no idea how to even touch on the Japanese, Korean, Chinese, or even Russian providers.  If the changes are irreversible, then we're lost .. Trion can salvage this mess I hope, however.  I suspect that they are changeable, and not hard-coded (the game was so modular before, why would it be spaghetti code now?)

Lets hope Trion makes the right decisions in the coming months.  The last thing anyone needs is another MMO messss.. hic! 

Well the thing is, the changes are only being put because they believe that is what Western gamers want. So, we need to do whatever we can to make them hear that we don't. At least not the grind and LP/shop changes. Personally I have always thought that they need to make the mainland PvE (with ability to flag for PvP) while making the western continent, the waters and pirate island the FFA PvP areas as the way to open the game up to the west. And yes, remove the ability to kill non-flagged players on the mainland.

Doing it that way keeps the end game FFA PvP while also giving a landmass for those that want to just do whatever without worrying about a thing. It serves both the need of opening up the game to a larger audience and not ruining the heart of the game.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell ..

I ... had high hopes for this game back in the days when it was announced. It had the Lineage 2 feeling for me , but with  time  , they ... have started to take another approach . I don't know exactly what road they took, but  .. it started to lose my interest with every update they have made ( I am looking at you cars, nukes, tanks, space crafts , planets , total recall , terminator , etc ... well , more or less :)

So , this is not a surprise for me that this game will go downhills . I MAY try it when it will be available in EU/NA ,since it will be free 2 play , but I am sure will not be a game which will hook me up for more then several yea .....hours.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by IceAge

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell ..

I ... had high hopes for this game back in the days when it was announced. It had the Lineage 2 feeling for me , but with  time  , they ... have started to take another approach . I don't know exactly what road they took, but  .. it started to lose my interest with every update they have made ( I am looking at you cars, nukes, tanks, space crafts , planets , total recall , terminator , etc ... well , more or less :)

So , this is not a surprise for me that this game will go downhills . I MAY try it when it will be available in EU/NA ,since it will be free 2 play , but I am sure will not be a game which will hook me up for more then several yea .....hours.

It's the same game people know.  The difference is the Korean cash-shop.  Sheesh

Trion didn't even promote this game version, and yet others are calling for it's death..

To the OP (IceAge) :  Did you really think you could shit on this game for having technology, while at the same time promoting WildStar? Everyone can see your history btw on Wildstar updates. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6136105#6136105  You've got to be joking.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MrJimLaheyMrJimLahey Member Posts: 24

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell ..

It's the same game people know.  The difference is the Korean cash-shop.  Sheesh

Trion didn't even promote this game version, and yet others are calling for it's death..

To the OP (IceAge) :  Did you really think you could shit on this game for having technology, while at the same time promoting WildStar? Everyone can see your history btw on Wildstar updates. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6136105#6136105  You've got to be joking.

Well, Sci-fi MMOs are SUPPOSED to have Technology.  Maybe, he just doesn't like that being in a Fantasy mmo?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by MrJimLahey

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell ..

Well, Sci-fi MMOs are SUPPOSED to have Technology.  Maybe, he just doesn't like that being in a Fantasy mmo?

Both games have technology in their lore, though.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AtadisAtadis Member Posts: 56
    At this point this doesn't really even bother me....I've followed this game since it's conception and have yet to even gotten close to playing a localized English version. In all honesty this my backburner game at the moment, for a long time I anticipated it and anticipated it but I could care less now. Sadly XLGames seems to have really f***** themselves with something that could have been a great game and Trion wasn't that big of a help either......sadly indie developers are pushing better and cleaner products out a lot faster. At least they are showing us content faster. Trion hopefully will be able to take ArcheAge and westernize it the way it was meant to be, if they can do that IDK if they can or not, and skip this 1.0 patch and implement their own 1.0 that stays true to the game, again IDK if they can do that, but as of now I have swapped this game with games like The Repop and LiF....hell at this point Star Citizen looks more promising than ArcheAge and I don't really care much for Star Citizen...... :| I'm just indifferent about the whole situation now, who cares anymore there are things just as good if not better heading our way.
  • LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by JJ82

Originally posted by xAPOCx The longer time goes on, the more im realizing that mmos are just not for me anymore. even AA could not over come to need to mainstream and cowtow to the greatest common denominator, casuals. It seems yet another promising MMO has sold out and its about time that i bow out.
     Grind is not for casuals. Sandbox games cater more to casuals than any other type because you are not locked into any kind of grind, can log in for 10 minutes and actually accomplish something and log back out. Adding things like dailies, grind to crafting and a heavier aspect on gear is for hardcore western players.
    Yeah, a casual player can log in for 10 minutes and accomplish something ....and then quickly have that something stolen by a hardcore player.

Cant believe people are actually arguing that sandbox MMOs are more casual friendly than themepark MMOs.

Just unbelievable.

A casual player can choose from:

1. Safe way
    2. Risky way

By choosing the safe way a casual player won't have to worry about loosing anything, just the reward is a bit less.

But now with 1.0 they made AA even more safe, by expanding this "safe way" and narrowing down almost completely the "risky way".

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475

Reading up on the Daily quests that players would be forced to do in 1.0- makes the game less fun.

One change - can turn around a game like that.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524

One thing i really don't like, and have no clue why they even did it, was to change the rewards from exploration to just achievements. I don't see how this could be a balance/improvement, all i see is a pointless nerf.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Informer80

http://archeagesource.com/topic/2481-real-talk-10-and-the-true-westernization-of-archeage/

Oh ok, so now that they have nerfed robbing they have killed exploration? now that they don't give any silver coins for exploring, exploration has been killed? you can still craft ships, explore around the world, create your own harem island even but you still saying exploration is killed? if you really want to explore then you wouldn't want reward for exploring. you are asking for themepark style back patting here; it is like : 'Hey i just found this empty keg in the jungle, where is my reward?" or "hey i just killed a guy, where is my extra colorful reward?", you want sandbox? then act like a sandbox player rather than acting like a spoiled themepark kiddie. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by jesteralways

http://archeagesource.com/topic/2481-real-talk-10-and-the-true-westernization-of-archeage/

Oh ok, so now that they have nerfed robbing they have killed exploration? now that they don't give any silver coins for exploring, exploration has been killed? you can still craft ships, explore around the world, create your own harem island even but you still saying exploration is killed? if you really want to explore then you wouldn't want reward for exploring. you are asking for themepark style back patting here; it is like : 'Hey i just found this empty keg in the jungle, where is my reward?" or "hey i just killed a guy, where is my extra colorful reward?", you want sandbox? then act like a sandbox player rather than acting like a spoiled themepark kiddie. 

I didn't say killed i said nerfed, which is very different. Rewarding for doing all sort of things, in this case, allows freedom of choice; rather then restricting your possibilities.  Maybe you should befriend google and look what sandbox means, instead of insulting people.

And i didn't mention robbing at all, actually i like that change.

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169
    I found AA very boring to me
    Originally posted by jesteralways

ArcheAgesource.com has turned in to a shelter for pessimistic AA players.  Every news about AA, is like a Greek tragedy there. 

• Informer80Informer80 Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Jonas_SG

ArcheAgesource.com has turned in to a shelter for pessimistic AA players.  Every news about AA, is like a Greek tragedy there. 

That´s the only reason i point to their page.

1.0 is an awesome patch, it even brings me back on track. Less themepark, more grind, more hardcore gameplay.

Thank god Trion gives a shit about the KR players and their elitist archeagesource page. We need this patch in NA from the beginning!!!

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47

Hi,

don't think I won't listen to your feedback! :)

I decided to edit the whole OP to accurately list every change, be it good or bad, that came with 1.0 The complaints I have about the patch are now (hopefully) summed up in the Conclusions part!

Give it another read if you're interested:

If anything bugs you now, if I have false information or there's anything you want to add, just let me know.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Some of the changes look good for game balance... others have the EA feel.  I don't know.. I will have to wait and see how it goes.
    Originally posted by KeksX

Hi,

don't think I won't listen to your feedback! :)

I decided to edit the whole OP to accurately list every change, be it good or bad, that came with 1.0 The complaints I have about the patch are now (hopefully) summed up in the Conclusions part!

Give it another read if you're interested:

If anything bugs you now, if I have false information or there's anything you want to add, just let me know.

Thanks for taking your time to write it a new. It looks very objective and easy to read.

Russians just released info about their version of LP potion for OBT:

1) Big Potion - 600 LP - 2 hours cooldown.

2) Small Potion - 300 LP - 2 hours cooldown.

No prices on them so far.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell ..

What the... ?

First of , I made a bit of fun , and if you cannot take it as it is, then stop quoting me. 

Secondly, I mostly talked from MY point of view, take it or get the fuck out. 

Third, DO not compare Wildstar with Archeage! Just..........don't do it! 

Have fun!

EDIT: "Both games have technology in their lore, though."

But of course ........................................................................................(......and more dots ).........>

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Most of these changes were made to make the game more appealing to the Asian audience. Many people in Asia complined the game was a "grind" but that has a different connotation in Korea anyways. A grind over here means that you do things without getting more power for doing it. They love grind and payoffs for doing it and because ArchAge was set-up more for western audiences than Korea, the game fell flat. Korea also doesn't mind P2W as long as you can grind your way to power as well. I don't expect all these changes to make it into the west though, but a lot will. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47

Yeah thats why the game dropped 8 ranks and is slowly sinking into top 30. (Rank before 1.0: 20. Now 28. Biggest jump AA made, even the F2P change wasn't t hat bad.)

Maybe Koreans want grind but they definitely don't want another themepark game.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I read daily quests and stopped reading, I don't like logging in and feeling like I have to do dailies before I can start having fun and relaxing playing an mmorpg.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Marchosias31Marchosias31 Member Posts: 83

Ultimately, this is a GREAT THING for this game.

Keep it for NA launch. Just because a few casuals are whining doesn't everyone dislikes it. On the contrary, everyone I know, friends/guildies are almost 100 percent for this change.

Keep it in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever happened to the IN BIOWARE WE TRUST signatures?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Cash shop is just such a horrible idea,they should be going sub that way no hidden costs,no bickering over what is acceptable.

I feel anyone wanting more FREE is just there because of the free and won't make Trion or the dev any money anyhow,so it serves no purpose to go cash shop.

They should offer a free 3 days,totally free,no restrictions,well perhaps a chat restriction,don't want people going in just to cause a ruckus in chat,that way players can get a solid feel for the game and decide if they want to sub.

Cash shop games are just going to create tons of RMT that is cash shop outside the game.RMT won't stop,even if banned they will just make another free player.So you will have an economy ruined by outside the game and cash shop inside the game also causing problems,it is a lose lose.

IMO if a game can't hold a subscription,then you really do not have loyal players,i would just not enter that market at all.If not accepted,then make changes so that a sub fee can be maintained,look at the millions Square  Enix put back into FFXIV to get players to accept it.T simply give up and go cash shop is not good business,it is like admitting defeat.GW2 shoudl never be looked at because their goal was to make a game cheap enough they could profit just from the box sales,i don't want a cheap game.

PS. All those changes really look like they are aiming at cash shop,that is another reason there should be no cash shop,that way nobody is skeptical and changes are for the good of all not the cash shop.Of course we have to wait and see but it sure looks like there will be tons of stuff to buy on cash shop to speed up all those grinds.

The one that really caught my eye as being lame was the buying of rank,,seriously lame.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

This discussion has been closed.