Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do roleplayers justify not PvPing?

Comments

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624

My experiences disagree with the OP.

Then again, I did play a lot of DAoC, where RP and PvP went hand in hand, and many RP guilds were indeed very PvP oriented. Fun times.

Just a quick side-note: There are many people who simply don't like PvP, period. If they RP or not has nothing to do with it.

• bleakravenbleakraven Member UncommonPosts: 25

You don´t need to act out on everything your character does.

Or you can roleplay as just a commoner, a tavern keeper, etc...

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290

Its all about the player, not the environment. I do agree that RPer should be also PvPer since the conflict is base of every MMORPG (or RPG), and physical conflict is the only one (until now) who can expose the conflict of the typical RPG lore.

However, as its said, the typical PvPer (specially the full looter) do not want to deal with aspects of RPG, in fact they do not even pick nicknames with RP purposes, if you notice their nicknames are very like the Call of Duty and Battlefront ones... They just dont care to RPG, and doing this they ruin the RP experience for RPers (specially because, as said before, the conflict on MMORPGs are mostly physical, and without heavy consequences). 

so, you have a game based mostly on conflict, and when you have the conflict between players (PvP) most probably the RPG aspect will be near zero (if you are putting a pure PvPer in equation). (in example: A RPer has spend most of his gold in good looking garments, then he meet a pvper named ´n000bkilla213´, he totally know he will have to fight, maybe against exploits and low level tactics, and he will lose and the ´n00bkilla213´ will certainly gank him and will be waving his e-peen around for sometime...

So, why in the hell a RPer , who enjoy certain aspects of RPG will lose time on a E-Sport contest if thats not what he is looking for? I mean, the PvP on a MMORPG Full-loot open PvP just drag you for a E-Sport game, it even has a gaming darwinism, that will not let someone who hasnt put almost 100% of his time on PvP training enjoy the game. Thats why PvP full loot game is a utopia, because never will be many people playing.

The RPerr  like myself have the eyes glowing when we think on the theorical aspects of a full loot pvp game, because we dream with a realism to give life to a RPG, then we, experienced gamers, remember what kind of player this kind of MMO brings in, and we know that will only be one more excelent oportunity of a good RPG being destroyed by a E-Sports, E-Peen contesters...

I have dreamed with Mortal Online too many times, only to be remembered that there is no RPG on PvP full loot.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    I dunno maybe they are role playing Buddhists...

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Sabiancym

***Disclaimer***  I am not, have never been, and doubt I will ever be a roleplayer.  

I play mmos to PvP.  That's the entire purpose of the game for me.  Sure other things are fine for biding my time, but PvP is the focus.  I don't agree with PvE only players, but I can at least understand that they just want to fight mobs.

One thing I do not understand is the PvE only roleplayer.  I know some RPers pvp, but from my experience, the vast majority do so very seldomly or not at all.  Meanwhile, they stay completely in character and always adhere to the lore of the game........

Does anyone else see the glaring hole in that?  

Most games have some sort of conflict embedded in the lore.  Hell, most of the time it's the central point of the game.  So how can a roleplayer who has chosen to roleplay a heroic knight for the "good guys", completely ignore fighting the "bad guys"?

How can he potentially see a fight break out between his faction and another, and just ignore it?  Doesn't that kind of shatter the whole character they're playing?

Someone help me out here........

How can PvPer's justify only playing MMOs for PvP?  Wouldn't it just be better to play first person shooters if all you want to do is pit yourself against other players?  

Just playing devil's advocate.  

Originally posted by RebelScum99

***Disclaimer***  I am not, have never been, and doubt I will ever be a roleplayer.  

I play mmos to PvP.  That's the entire purpose of the game for me.  Sure other things are fine for biding my time, but PvP is the focus.  I don't agree with PvE only players, but I can at least understand that they just want to fight mobs.

One thing I do not understand is the PvE only roleplayer.  I know some RPers pvp, but from my experience, the vast majority do so very seldomly or not at all.  Meanwhile, they stay completely in character and always adhere to the lore of the game........

Most games have some sort of conflict embedded in the lore.  Hell, most of the time it's the central point of the game.  So how can a roleplayer who has chosen to roleplay a heroic knight for the "good guys", completely ignore fighting the "bad guys"?

How can he potentially see a fight break out between his faction and another, and just ignore it?  Doesn't that kind of shatter the whole character they're playing?

How can PvPer's justify only playing MMOs for PvP?  Wouldn't it just be better to play first person shooters if all you want to do is pit yourself against other players?  

dont ask this question to a PvPer. Trust me. If you do he will became violent. It seens to be some kind of taboo (well, of a few PvPers I got the answer of ´I dont have the skills to play with a videogamer controller´, but even those were outraged with the question).

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by xeniar

meeting the enemy in the field does not always have to turn you into this raging twat wich needs to kill every red out there. Even in lore not every encouter with the enemy has to be this fight to the death.

A PvE player is someone wich prefers tactics, overcomming situations and for me the biggest reason co-operation.. A Roleplayer.. im not sure what makes them tick inside a game (from a LaRP viewpoint i understand) but to each there own.

A PvE player is someone wich prefers tactics"

The AI just isn't evolved yet to a point where this is true beyond a basic Google search strategy for bringing down a boss.  You want real tactics and strat, go pvp.  But, this is much harder to organize, so folks get upset and bail.  You can't predict human behavior so it's hard mode every time.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I play mmos to PvP.  

You don't understand because you are not a roleplayer, you are a PvPer.

If you were a roleplayer you would know you can play any role any way you want. One of my guildmates during my short stint in WoW (I Only played Vanilla) never and I repeat NEVER fought a mob past level 12. He stayed in Orgrimmar all day playing a drunk Orc getting into fist fights with that one guy that spawns in the bar near the front of the city and stepping on snakes all day calling them dragons and yelling about how he killed another one single handedly.

Some people don't want to play the role of someone killing another player. rather simple really.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I think PVP only fits with RP if there are consequences for it like in EVE. If you just respawn after and never lose anything it is very hard to justify it in RP terms.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Domenicus

I have dreamed with Mortal Online too many times, only to be remembered that there is no RPG on PvP full loot.

Which is why PvP is what's foreign in a MMO/RPG. If PvPers don't engage in RP even a little, they need to play the proper genre instead -- a FPS or tactical shooter.

A MMO/RPG is about role playing. From the Holy Trinity to being a peaceful Tauren or Monk in a game about war, as they're playing a MMO/RPG as intended...the only PvPer isn't.

Couple months ago I revisited some MuDs. It took 3 days before I even got the login credentials. Why? They had to verify that the avatar name fits it's community. No epeeners need to apply. The same I feel about PvP in a MMO/RPG, as it's clear the majority of PvPers in a MMO/RPG don't engage in it at all.

Originally posted by iridescence

I think PVP only fits with RP if there are consequences for it like in EVE. If you just respawn after and never lose anything it is very hard to justify it in RP terms.

In EvE, because it's a FFA PvP game, can't have consequences found in PvE games...it'll cost too much. The big battles CCP tries to sell to people to play EvE isn't that little guy in his alt corp, it's mega corps that OWN the resources to engage in it. So the only thing they lose as a consequence is pride.

A PvE player if he keeps dying over boss mechanics not only has a huge repair bill (and costs for the buffs and food), he doesn't even get gear to progress. Imagine playing EvE without getting past Drakes as your primary ship. That's the penalties PvE players play under...and with RNG...they may never see their gear, either. PvP is about cheap kills, fast. PvE is about challenging kills, at a damn slow pace.

PvPers will complain that PvE is not challenging for them, but the truth is it's too expensive and time consuming for them. Takes a lot of effort to round up not only a team to play through PvE content, to round up all the mats to make what's necessary...and no one owns any markets or resources to do so cheaply. They have to go out and either get it themselves (all that time farming for mats), or play the AH for them. They don't just logon to kill "reds" or camp gates, there's a lot more to do than 24/7 pewpewpewing.

Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

Which is why PvP is what's foreign in a MMO/RPG. If PvPers don't engage in RP even a little, they need to play the proper genre instead -- a FPS or tactical shooter.

A MMO/RPG is about role playing. From the Holy Trinity to being a peaceful Tauren or Monk in a game about war, as they're playing a MMO/RPG as intended...the only PvPer isn't.

Couple months ago I revisited some MuDs. It took 3 days before I even got the login credentials. Why? They had to verify that the avatar name fits it's community. No epeeners need to apply. The same I feel about PvP in a MMO/RPG, as it's clear the majority of PvPers in a MMO/RPG don't engage in it at all.

You will have trouble with this line of thinking... Not that I dont agree, I do agree, but, man, the PvPers will hound you like the Kindly Ones... I know one PvPer want me killed because I just told him ´have you experienced Call of Duty? Why dont you try to play Call of Duty on CoD instead of mmoRPGs?´

Being serious, I think they do not realize that their behavior is not RPG oriented, althought PvP IS RPG oriented... They just push it to a level that destroy completly the RPG. And its not their fault only, in my opinion. ITs because death is meaningless on MMORPGs, even in Full Loot PvPs...  you have PvP dragging out all others aspects of the game (including craft and RP).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I do not pvp in rpg's,i ONLY do it where it is done right and allows me to play with skill.

RPG's do not come even close to doing pvp right,so i have no bother to take part in it.

Unless i was roleplaying Ghengis Khan ,why would i be roleplaying killing people all the time?Part of Rp'inmg is living out the life of that character and i highly doubt anyone would be looking to kill people 100% of the time,not even 50% of the time.

I understand it makes little sense that we are killing rabbits but for the most part,the premise in rpg's is to save our race and destroy the evil entities.

When i think of combat,i think of one on one,example wrestling or. boxing or MMA.That is why i always liked the FFXI combat,you pull one creature and fight it,i never liked pulling a whole room or 3-6 mobs at once,i wouldn't do it in real life,unrealistic scenario.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Who says roleplayers don't like pvp? I love it and I am a hardcore roleplayer.

That said, a lot of the hardcore pvp community has a large number of epeen toolbags, who generally make life unpleasant, and make it hard to roleplay. I avoid them, not because they are pvpers, but because they are toolbags. That leads me away from pvp servers, even rp pvp servers. I get my pvp on where I can, and sometimes make alts on those servers just to get my pvp on.

It is not pvp and rp that are incompatible, imho, so much as the communities they represent.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I play mmorpgs for the immersion and story. I read every single line npcs said. Yes, i'm one of those nonexistent mmo gamer. No roleplay for me though. PvP is still fine for me for once in a while, it builds up my adrenaline.  
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

How do I justify not PvP'ing in an R P game?

I don't. I don't have to. When I agree to let someone else pay my subscription I will agree to justifying my game time. That aint gonna happen.

Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

You will have trouble with this line of thinking... Not that I dont agree, I do agree, but, man, the PvPers will hound you like the Kindly Ones... I know one PvPer want me killed because I just told him ´have you experienced Call of Duty? Why dont you try to play Call of Duty on CoD instead of mmoRPGs?´

Being serious, I think they do not realize that their behavior is not RPG oriented, althought PvP IS RPG oriented... They just push it to a level that destroy completly the RPG. And its not their fault only, in my opinion. ITs because death is meaningless on MMORPGs, even in Full Loot PvPs...  you have PvP dragging out all others aspects of the game (including craft and RP).

I don't care, as I'll tell them "Meet ya on the Battlefield!" (I need targets for the nth grenade). If they're shooters, I'll lay suppressive fire down so they'll whine on the BF forums about it's "UNFAIR!!!" (Gee, and real soldiers have to play by some unfair rules...like it's a Geneva crime to kill medics, too!). Want to play like a typical MMORPG PvPer that's what CoD is for, instead.  }:>

Games like WoW are about warfare, but because it chose to be a MMORPG, they must compensate for actual RPers, who will play on a different script than just WAR/WAR/WAR. Which is fine, because the publishers took RPG games and made them nowhere resembling their offline RPG counterpart (e.g., ESO isn't TES). And making different bosses for different factions to adhere to the WAR/WAR/WAR concept costs too much, and we won't see content within our lifetime.

But total PvP players in a MMORPG? They don't belong. Role Playing Game means you role play to some extent -- write your Bio; develop a good back story of why you exist in the game; and keep to your class and role concepts. Doesn't fit, play a FPS/ Tactical FPS/ Space game that does.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Can you imagine trying to roleplay in a setting like this?
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

co-op roleplaying explained:

D&D was never pvp.

well you could but it was designed as a co-op game

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150

Wow.  It was an honest question and I was looking for a real answer.  I wasn't "waving my pvp Epeen" around.

I was asking how it plays into their RP.  If I was roleplaying, it would be a massive immersion killer to ignore something going on that my character should theoretically partake in.  Too many of you anti-pvp guys just jump on people like me who play to pvp.  You're making extremely sweeping generalizations about pvpers (Exploiters, Tea-baggers, immature teenagers, etc.).

Are you really going to sit there and complain about FOTM builds and people bashing you for not having the right spec when end game raid guilds are some of the strictest enforcers of FOTM and specific builds?

And please stop basing everything you know about PvP on WOW.  It's about as far away from a PvP paradise as you can get.

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

Most justify not pvping with, QQ.  lol

Originally posted by versulas
    Can you imagine trying to roleplay in a setting like this?

God, haven't played that game in ages!

But I have met this, and role played through it at his expense, though. }:>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDdn8Iiqc0

He ended up having a butt buddy after 1hr 30mins later run up to get killed 200x for him to "win".

Yeah, PvP doesn't belong in a MMO/RPG.

Originally posted by free2play

How do I justify not PvP'ing in an R P game?

I don't. I don't have to. When I agree to let someone else pay my subscription I will agree to justifying my game time. That aint gonna happen.

How does your character justify it?  That was obviously the question.

When the whole point of roleplaying is to play a character in a world, how is the immersion not affected when said character ignores something that they really shouldn't.  Unless you're roleplaying someone not involved in the conflict.

Originally posted by RebelScum99

I absolutely hate that argument.  I've been hearing it since the 90s and it's the most ridiculous argument possible.  

I'm being bashed for my (supposed) lack of understanding of the PvE and RP mentality, yet a lot of you are sorely missing the mark on PvP mentality.  MMO PvP is far from just a deathmatch where you get your rocks off by getting a kill.

I PvP for the community development it brings.  It gives the game purpose for me.  

Why would I want to go to war with some NPCs who are predictable and static when I can go to war with an enemy who adapts, talks back, is actually a threat, etc.  

The community and rivalries that were developed in SWG Bloodfin pvp were some of the most engaging moments I've ever experienced in gaming.  You can't get that in PvE.  

And if all you want to do is PvE, why not go play a single player game?  Want to do it with a group?  There are plenty of online co-op games to play where none of those pesky PvPers will be around to "tarnish" your gameplay.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

There's a certain unsavory element that dogs MMOs.  They aren't RPers, they aren't really PvPers, they aren't even actually playing the game.  Their major desire is to make someone else feel bad.  They gravitate to games where it is easiest to do that sort of thing.  PvP rulesets are, generally, much easier for them to spread their hate.    And that doesn't even include the juvenile ePeen yahoos and folks who think they are still playing CoD.

Cost benefit analysis for me says that avoiding RP PvP games, especially non-consensual ones, is preferable.   For MMOs, in particular.   I think it is quite telling that when UO opened up PVE servers, there was a mass exodus to them.   Bad apples spoil the barrel and all that.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.