Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: Brad McQuaid Talks Portalarium Partnership

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen launched a joint rewards program with Richard Garriott’s Shroud of the Avatar over at Portalarium. The first step in this program will allow backers to get an in game cloak. This marks one of the first times we have seen MMO companies working together to promote their games. We sat down with Brad McQuaid to talk about the new partnership as well as get some insight into what is planned for Pantheon in the coming months.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - Brad McQuaid Talks Portalarium Partnership.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PGrimmPGrimm Member UncommonPosts: 40

Defiance closed??   where was I at..  wow  i didn't know that

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by PGrimm

Defiance closed??   where was I at..  wow  i didn't know that

Defiance San Diego office was closed - the game is now developed out of Redwood City studio.

San Diego employees are known for not willing to move out of San Diego (I don't blame them its a beautiful city), so I think the vast majority chose to not move and instead look for work.

I think the vast majority stayed in San Diego, but not by choice.  

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    This is so cool to see.   Different games working together.   The attitude here is amazing to see in this dog-eat-dog MMO world where publishers just see players as dollar signs and other games as threats.   And it's working, I dismissed SotA early on as "not for me" but am overly hyped for Pantheon, this little collab def has me wanting to give SotA a fair shot now.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Wow, he's already giving up on seeing if his hardcore game can make it on its own merits and jumping on the bandwagon of a more successful game with a completely different audience.  If this is how hardcore developers are going to behave on future projects, I feel sorry for the hardcore audience.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Same things he said about Vanguard.
  • kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    Portalarium : Home of the Fallen
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Uhwop

And Vanguard turned out to be one of the best PvE MMOs of the last 8 years, what's your point?

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

And Vanguard turned out to be one of the best PvE MMOs of the last 8 years, what's your point?

That's your opinion.  Plenty of folks don't agree with it.  I played Vanguard and it was nothing special to me.

Steam: Neph

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XrbsBt34c

Still on the fence? Please watch this interview with Boogie2988 everything is addressed here. Even Vanguard. Watch the entire video

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Originally posted by Nephaerius

That's your opinion.  Plenty of folks don't agree with it.  I played Vanguard and it was nothing special to me.

It's the opinion of a great many people. If the game hadn't been forced out the door buggy and early, many more people would say the same.

I can't think of another MMO of the last 8 years with better dungeons, crafting, classes, exploration, or raids.

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Great news for Brad and thanks big time to Mr Garriot! Visionary Realms is doing what any other kickstarter I've seen do and that's getting the word out. And who better to do that than an already funded kickstarter project of a similar nature.

Most pledges come in the last week of kickstarter drives meaning Pantheon is well on its way to creation.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    How adorable. I wonder if they cuddle in front of the fire at night, sharing a bottle of expensive wine while giggling over monetization schemes, and the thousands of players who have fallen for them.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

That's your opinion.  I really enjoyed it, and it was special to me.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Maquiame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XrbsBt34c

Still on the fence? Please watch this interview with Boogie2988 everything is addressed here. Even Vanguard. Watch the entire video

I took the time to watch this video.its a great video with some great questions by boogie.i liked brads response.we all make mistakes in life.hope this really gets off the ground.not sure it will though.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Sorry no it wasn't. I fully understand your opinion and can see your point towards what you might like. And I myself enjoyed it allot. Personaly felt Fallen Earth was way better at PVE but just like your opinion this is pure my opinion and definitly does not make Fallen Earth the best PVE MMO but only the best PVE MMO that I personaly have enjoyed.

Back on topic. I just don't see these Old School developers like Rockstars, you know those who release their music year after year and still be very succesfull. Sorry but those legendary old school developers have created one true game they can truly call succesfull. Everything after while having great visions for what they game could become never was fully realised.

So now they are able with less funding, less tools, less developers?

Perhaps I don't believe this "suits" are in control with major company's. Because I feel developers are alway's in control unless they simply can't deliver a fun gaming experiance.  Sure without the suits there will be more freedom for the developers to create things but it also opens the door to indeed keep creating things, getting the wildest idea's, yet those idea's might not fit the game at present so the game is going to be re-worked to add it in. Also anything on paper sounds grand yet it's the implimentation in the game that shows if it's actually as fun as it sounds on paper. How long will these kickstarter MMO stretch their goals?

I do wish Pantheon: Rise of het Fallen, Camelot Unchained and Shroud of the Avatar best of luck and really hope they can deliver. But for me I might wait these games out till release to see if they delivered.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

By what (and who's) standard?  That is a very subjective response. One clearly not shared with enough people to even keep the game online.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Wow, he's already giving up on seeing if his hardcore game can make it on its own merits and jumping on the bandwagon of a more successful game with a completely different audience.  If this is how hardcore developers are going to behave on future projects, I feel sorry for the hardcore audience.

Funny how cooperation is viewed as weakness.     But I guess it's easier to just be negative all the time.   Don't be sorry for the hardcore or old school audience, if this is just the beginning of cooperation in old school developers, then soon my friend, your pity may turn into envy.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286
    I'll pretend that this isnt even an upcoming mmo that I might have the slightest chance of playing unless they change that horrid name. Rise of the fallen?  Might as well make an expansion in the future called Fall of The Risen...
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by finnmacool1

It's the opinion of a great many people. If the game hadn't been forced out the door buggy and early, many more people would say the same.

I can't think of another MMO of the last 8 years with better dungeons, crafting, classes, exploration, or raids.

[mod edit]

Awful logic.

People are not playing Vanguard because of SOE's lack of commitment to the title, something that was evident shortly after they took over when they constantly decimated the already small staff working on it and moved them to other projects.  We only had a handful of developers at its HEIGHT under SOE, and even then the content they were producing was a lot of fun. 

Once it is clear that an MMO is getting no substantial content updates most people move on, I know I did.  I loved Vanguard too and would play it still if people like Tiraslee (who is working on Pantheon) had continued developing content for it.

I love how Smedley cries that people aren't supporting Vanguard and that is why he had to shut it down, when he NEVER supported it and is the reason we all left in the first place.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    All we need now is to get Curt Schilling involved with this for the ultimate trifecta of game devs.image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Kicking Snakes confirmed.
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Sorry no it wasn't. I fully understand your opinion and can see your point towards what you might like. And I myself enjoyed it allot. Personaly felt Fallen Earth was way better at PVE but just like your opinion this is pure my opinion and definitly does not make Fallen Earth the best PVE MMO but only the best PVE MMO that I personaly have enjoyed.

Back on topic. I just don't see these Old School developers like Rockstars, you know those who release their music year after year and still be very succesfull. Sorry but those legendary old school developers have created one true game they can truly call succesfull.

I agree Fallen Earth was one of the best MMOs since WoW.

But as for the "one good game"... are you forgetting all the Ultimas? The MUDS that Brad played and worked on? Their history goes back pretty far.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

By what (and who's) standard?  That is a very subjective response. One clearly not shared with enough people to even keep the game online.

Vanguard measured up to the claim of bringing hardcore back.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I never thought of an idea like this because i only saw the extreme negative,which is two heads colliding on ideas and profits cut in half.

After i thought about it more,i like the idea but on a MUCH bigger scale than simply using identical assets.

I also used the FFXI idea of "repeat login campaign and realized the HUGE potential this has.

Both games could utilize a repeat login campaign,once a month they release an item that can be continuously upgraded each month just by login.Players could choose to upgrade a NEW item or keep upgrading that one piece.

What you do is give say  20 pts a day,after 30 days that is 600 points to spend on upgrades to each item.Upgrades could be in form of attack or defense or accuracy or anything.Perhaps a Cloak then another month body armor ect ect.The catch is you can combine the points from BOTH games,that encourages players to login to both games.Sure there is a negative,maybe players don't want to play both games,but if they do EVERYONE gets the same bonus.

If they limit this idea to one cloak,it won't carry any weight at all in securing any more business between the two games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I never got the feeling Brad nor the EQ team had any idea how to create danger without the super simple idea of overcrowding a zone with mobs.

In FFXI the FEAR factor was there and that was even though you could cast invisible or sneak or could simply walk around mobs.The reason was simple,the game was designed to group,in a solo manner you would be gobbled up quickly by aggro.

In Eq2 or Vanguard,it was simply a cheap AI all zerging together,even through walls,it always felt very unrealistic,just a wall of mobs that FORCED you to always fight.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.