Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whose rooting for this one?

Comments

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Sorry can't root for a game that promises only PvE combat and nothing else.  Oh and that uses the same tired fantasy universe with the planar excuse as to why there are volcanoes next to ice caps on our map instead of logical design. 

That's a joke right? Your knowledge of Geology could use some work apparently lol. Volcanoes do exist in icy areas, in fact there are many near and under both Iceland and Antarctica. A recent volcano eruption would melt most ice in the vicinity, but most volcanoes go through long periods of dormancy. Either way, the placement of volcanoes near icy areas is in no way illogical design...

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    Besides, a broken Vanguard is still better than almost every game on the market.

Sad but true. Such wasted potential, although I think most of it was due to the poor optimisation of the games engine, which at its core was unfixable.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

As one of the old school hardcore MMO gamers out there, i am not rootig for this to succeed, i NEED this to succeed.

The genre is dead for people like me, doomed to breeze through an empty cash grab MMO in the span of 2 weeks because the goal isnt to make a living world but an interactive game lobby

The mmo genre has a bleak outlook right now, mainly because devs and producers will only back games that play like sprints, and nobody wants to invest in creating a marathon.

I want to get to that point where i care about quitting  agame because i care about never seeing that character that I made, i put time into again. As it stands now, i could delete every main in the MMO ive played i the last 3 years and it wouldnt matter, cause it took little to no effort to get them decked out in the best gear.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I hope those who want to see this game have contributed to the kickstarter. 25 dollars is not going to bankrupt anyone

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/comments

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

I hope those who want to see this game have contributed to the kickstarter. 25 dollars is not going to bankrupt anyone

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/comments

Uggg, it's not the money, it's the principle, this is simply another has-been failure in the making.

You give this guy money for what, because he was part of a popular mmo nearly two decades ago? LOL

What has he done since then that deserves recognition? Vanguard that game that's being shutdown because it's so popular, other than that he did allot of drugs, partied pretty hard, blew all his money, that we know, obviously a careless one hit wonder trying to cash in on his name.

The biggest problem with this is, you all throw money at them, they make money for doing absolutely F'all, and the rest of us (who know better)  have to wait several years to go, "errr we f'in tried to tell you guys."

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Husvik

Uggg, it's not the money, it's the principle, this is simply another has-been failure in the making.

You give this guy money for what, because he was part of a popular mmo nearly two decades ago? LOL

What has he done since then that deserves recognition? Vanguard that game that's being shutdown because it's so popular, other than that he did allot of drugs, partied pretty hard, blew all his money, that we know, obviously a careless one hit wonder trying to cash in on his name.

The biggest problem with this is, you all throw money at them, they make money for doing absolutely F'all, and the rest of us (who know better)  have to wait several years to go, "errr we f'in tried to tell you guys."

I prefer Vanguard as bad as it launched over most major MMOs in the past 10 years. I had more fun with Everquest than any other mmo.  Where else should I hope for a game that fits what I want to play?  Not many other people are trying.

I will take my chances and hope to get a game I want instead of sitting around and knowing that I won't

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I don't want any game to fail.  But I won't ever give a penny to a kickstarter game, either.  I don't pay for ideas.  I pay for actual completed games.  

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

I don't want any game to fail.  But I won't ever give a penny to a kickstarter game, either.  I don't pay for ideas.  I pay for actual completed games.  

im with you on this one.

i would add the following point though. while i am kinda burned out on the whole KS thing, that's not really the most problematic thing for me.

right now, the scariest part is that they don't really have fanbois posting here all the time. instead they have yesbois. any group of people that blindly accepting of something always raises flags with me.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

I would agree with this as long as game companies are making stuff that you are interested in. What happens though when pretty much everything you see looks a bit disappointing due to going after mass market appeal? I would prefer to just buy a game and play it. Yet, there is a distinct lack of group based gaming out lately. So, I can throw 30 bucks or something at it and hope maybe I will get a game one day.  After all its better than 60 on an mmo I don't like, and I have done that a couple times already.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Thank You.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by funyahns

I would agree with this as long as game companies are making stuff that you are interested in. What happens though when pretty much everything you see looks a bit disappointing due to going after mass market appeal? I would prefer to just buy a game and play it. Yet, there is a distinct lack of group based gaming out lately. So, I can throw 30 bucks or something at it and hope maybe I will get a game one day.  After all its better than 60 on an mmo I don't like, and I have done that a couple times already.

I understand your point, but it's just a rule I live by.  If this, or any kickstarter-funded game turns out to be a game I'd like, I will gladly throw my money at it when completed.  Whether through subscription, donation, or cash-shop items.  But I will never put money into a game that is nothing more than an idea.  And if there are no completed MMOs out there that are interesting enough to give my money to, then I'll stick with SPRPGs.  

I've made some mistakes in the past, of course, but the only game I've ever forked over money to play even though I wasn't impressed with what I'd seen to that point was GW2.  I did it because I thought the potential was there, and the game looked great.  It was definitely a mistake on my part, though.  Never again.  I either need to be blown away by the game in at least a beta state, or I just wait until it launches and get some feedback.  It's a reason, despite a lot of positive buzz, that I never purchased and subbed to FFXIV: ARR.  I played it in beta, and was underwhelmed.  No thought of even attempting to sub to it.  

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Absolutely.  This is the first game or anything else I have actually supported on Kickstarter.  That's how bad I want it.

Hell I even spent 8 minutes and made a signature banner to show it.

EDIT:  Especially with Vanguard being sunset in July, this is our best hope.  By "our" I mean those of us looking for what we consider to be a "real" and/or "challenging" MMORPG.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by funyahns

I understand your point, but it's just a rule I live by.  If this, or any kickstarter-funded game turns out to be a game I'd like, I will gladly throw my money at it when completed.  Whether through subscription, donation, or cash-shop items.  But I will never put money into a game that is nothing more than an idea.  And if there are no completed MMOs out there that are interesting enough to give my money to, then I'll stick with SPRPGs.  

I've made some mistakes in the past, of course, but the only game I've ever forked over money to play even though I wasn't impressed with what I'd seen to that point was GW2.  I did it because I thought the potential was there, and the game looked great.  It was definitely a mistake on my part, though.  Never again.  I either need to be blown away by the game in at least a beta state, or I just wait until it launches and get some feedback.  It's a reason, despite a lot of positive buzz, that I never purchased and subbed to FFXIV: ARR.  I played it in beta, and was underwhelmed.  No thought of even attempting to sub to it.  

I'm sorry but I can't take seriously someone who claims they are being frugal, and then in the same breath admits to buying virtual junk in a cash shop.  You are paying cold hard cash for monopoly money, pixels that can be created ad-infinitum in a game world, the very definition of worthless.

What is so strange about kickstarter?  You've never invested in someone's idea before?  I'll take a trust in a fellow human being's passion over some costume or pet for my fictional video game character any day with my money.  If I don't invest in the things I believe in, then I am in the unfortunate position of merely consuming what others hawk to me.  I don't need others to tell me what I enjoy, I know it when I see it. 

This team can have my money because they are building the game I want, not just selling me on another catch-all money grab.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I hope those who want to see this game have contributed to the kickstarter. 25 dollars is not going to bankrupt anyone   https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/comments

I would trust Brad anyday over the EA made trash that is TOR. Or the garbage that is TESO. Sorry but I prefer real mmos over overhyped cash grabs. I know for a fact that Vanguard is better than both of those games.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Out of all the MMO's I have played EQ was my favorite.  Second on my list was VG.  Even with all it's bugs and performance issues I prefer it over all the post EQ (2004) MMO's.  I am willing to give Brad and his team a second chance.  If the human race allowed failures to influence all our decisions we would still be living in the stone age.  Failures can sometimes lead to greater innovation and I'm hoping Brad and his team will have learnt from VG's failure and will make a great game for EQ and VG vets to call home and also anyone else that will enjoy the type of gameplay Pantheon is promoting. 
  • ConvoConvo Member UncommonPosts: 160

Please! This is some silly logic.  People should absolutely support this project if it's a game they want.  Do you see anyone out there even attempting to make a game like Pantheon?  How about you come down on all the companies who make wow clones? That's a bigger atrocity than anyone trying to raise funds to make a niche game that some gamers want but have been ignored for years.  Id love to know what mmos you've purchased over the years?  How many of them were a vote for more of the same solo, quest hub to you max level?!  That's much worse  in my eyes.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I donated, only KS that I have.  EQ/VG are in my top 5 all time, so if they can make something 20% as good as EQ was, it will be better than anything in the last 5+ years for me.  This is my opinion, before someone goes crazy.

If the KS fails, I spent nothing, if it succeeds and then the game fails, I will somehow manage to not fall apart, and go on some rampage making nasty posts....I am fine with the risk, wouldn't of given my money otherwise.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Xthos

I donated, only KS that I have.  EQ/VG are in my top 5 all time, so if they can make something 20% as good as EQ was, it will be better than anything in the last 5+ years for me.  This is my opinion, before someone goes crazy.

If the KS fails, I spent nothing, if it succeeds and then the game fails, I will somehow manage to not fall apart, and go on some rampage making nasty posts....I am fine with the risk, wouldn't of given my money otherwise.

It won't fail.

There is zero chance of it failing, Brad has friends that will drop $500K if it comes to that.

They are just trying to use this KS as means of raising more money, that is all. You can show investors a successful KS and they will throw money at you.

There is literally 0% chance of it failing - the only way it would happen is if Brad decides to pull the plug on the KS.

Whoa.. You don't know that man. Don't expect an angel investor in all this.  This project needs as many backers as possible.  Assuming this thing will be funded just because, is a bad way to look at it.  There is a chance it will fail without the help of people backing this project.  A very good chance! We need support and a lot of it.  There are no angel investors

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Salenth
    Absolutely everything in Pantheon is resonating with me, from Brad's AMA to the Boogie interview. I'm not just rooting for it, I'm desperate for it.If you haven't watched it, you should checkout Boogie's interview of Brad on Youtube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=45XrbsBt34c
    I am rooting for it, but will wait and see. I'd love to see what is "said" come to life, but do not have high hopes it will. Compromises and cuts are far too common in this industry.

The interview brought up something I am now wondering. In the very beginning, Brad talked about the EQ folks "playing the game." I now wonder how many developers play their games today. If they do, are they happy in their games? Or do they play just to test things out?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by Convo
    Originally posted by Xthos

It won't fail.

There is zero chance of it failing, Brad has friends that will drop $500K if it comes to that.

They are just trying to use this KS as means of raising more money, that is all. You can show investors a successful KS and they will throw money at you.

There is literally 0% chance of it failing - the only way it would happen is if Brad decides to pull the plug on the KS.

Whoa.. You don't know that man. Don't expect an angel investor in all this.  This project needs as many backers as possible.  Assuming this thing will be funded just because, is a bad way to look at it.  There is a chance it will fail without the help of people backing this project.  A very good chance! We need support and a lot of it.  There are no angel investors

KS's that fail never even hit 10% of their goal.

We are already near 40% with 19 days left.

There is simply no way in hell that it won't fund.

There is if everyone reading assumes it will fund and doesn't see the sense of urgency to donate.  I know you're trying to be positive and helpful but this ks needs more backers.  Please don't discourage that by making assumptions.  It's not a done deal by any means and will fail if people don't start backing.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Gonna feel dumb if you wait another 5 years for another crapshoot. VG wasn't even close to up to par, early launch or no.
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    Gonna feel dumb if you wait another 5 years for another crapshoot. VG wasn't even close to up to par, early launch or no.

Hey man, check out the boogie interview with Brad.  He talks about VG.  Starting at around 20:00 mark.  Whole interview is great tho

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I have not played those old games but I bought shroud of the avatar and those developers look totally different at games.

best game for best prise and a story that makes sense not just a boss that waits for you at the end of the game.

hope for no subs.rather pay every year for a new part of the game like in shroud of the avatar its 5 games in one.

• vinotintovinotinto Member Posts: 2

I'm definitely supporting it !

We need a good MMO again the good old day's not the new crap.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen gonna rock if they make it on kickstarter.

Greets Vino

• mhoward48mhoward48 Member UncommonPosts: 99

I am  rooting for and supporting this game. Myself and others have been begging game developers to make this game, and none of them listen to us. Well he is listening ! We want a challenging game, we want to need one another again, we want communication brought back to the game. We want to explore, and not have easy peasy ports. We stumble upon a quest, by speaking to a NPC, or hearing a rumor, not by seeing a glaring yellow,explanation mark hovering over a NPC head.

I pledged money for both myself and my daughter for this game. When the KS is over, I will still be financially supporting this game.Why? Because he is the only one making a game,that I actually want to play!

If you want to know more, give at least a dollar to the KS, and you can ask the developers on the comment section your own questions. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/comments

Or here at this site.

http://pjpantheon.com/forums/