Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: 'Spiritual Successor' in a Modern Setting?

Comments

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I think it will be called SWG:Next and will launch in two parts.  The first will be SWG:Next Landmark.  In that version you can pay $100 to join the alpha for the free game (oh yeah that also give you a special badge and tool).  This first game will be mostly focused on building things in your own plot of land that you will stake out.  The terrain is deformable and you can build structures like the church shown in the screenshot.

This game will have little to nothing to do with the original SWG but rather will capitalize on it's name to draw curious people to take a look.

They don't need to make a SWG: Next Landmark game as that game will have already been made.  It is called Everquest Next Landmark.  Although they may launch a sub server with the required theme rules.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Hairysun

I am inclined to think you aren't looking deep enough into Smedleys photo.  Lets not forget ol' Smed is a pretty smart guy.   Notice the cork board behind the monitor.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/37/3776/G1GIF00Z/posters/johnny-cash-live-at-san-quentin.jpg

So now what do you think it means ..........

You sir have won the thread.

• neutrinoideneutrinoide Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I think a western ish mmo would be great.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Ecoces

take my money!

Not to worry, Have some patience. Trust me, they are getting to that.

with the all access sub to all soe games - may not have to pay a dime extra

(if already playing a soe game)

lol.....so naive :) hehe

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by Asamof

Remember, Smedley is the one who called old SWG boring and tried to turn it into WoW. Which ended up shutting it down permanently.

I know SOE has been desperately trying to fix their bad reputation this past year, but pretending that they liked SWG when they're the ones who wrecked it? Going a little too far IMO.

Smedley stated after the NGE went live that it was the SWG that should have been to begin with. Ugh. So what type of SWG vet is he targeting? The 250k+ Pre-NGE vets or the 10k NGE vets? image

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Not Long Ago, in a Church Far, Far to the South...

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by ste2000

I just have to laugh at the sign above the screen................ that sums up $oE quite well

They can't even take a photo without making a gaffe

I don't get it.  They like great music?  If it was a Nickelback or Creed poster than maybe it would be a gaffe.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    I thought Disney owned Star Wars now. Maybe we can get a G version of SWG.
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Kyllien
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I think it will be called SWG:Next and will launch in two parts.  The first will be SWG:Next Landmark.  In that version you can pay $100 to join the alpha for the free game (oh yeah that also give you a special badge and tool).  This first game will be mostly focused on building things in your own plot of land that you will stake out.  The terrain is deformable and you can build structures like the church shown in the screenshot.

This game will have little to nothing to do with the original SWG but rather will capitalize on it's name to draw curious people to take a look.

They don't need to make a SWG: Next Landmark game as that game will have already been made.  It is called Everquest Next Landmark.  Although they may launch a sub server with the required theme rules.

Woosh - sound of a joke going right over your head

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Vayman
    Not Long Ago, in a Church Far, Far to the South...

Pop all over my monitor.... /kowtow

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    A contemporary setting has zero appeal for me. I don't need the SW IP, but c'mon... at least make it sci-fi if you're gonna say it's aimed at SWG players.
  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by bbethel

If its not SWG 2 then I don't care what crap they say or how nice they seem to be to us. What the hell is a church doing in a game that is supposed to be for SWG fans. 

Like some people have brought up Zombies. If this is a joke then I will laugh.

But right now I dont want to play a Crappy Zombie game or any other game.

If SOE is building a home for SWG players then it needs to Be SWG  (I don't care if its NGE or not) with a new engine or SWG 2 (to go along with the new movies). 

I will not settle for anything less if SOE wants my money. 

But at the most what ever MMo SOE has planed for SWG players It needs to be in space and not on earth or F'n Zombies.  

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by saker
    Originally posted by gobla

While the roof on the house behind the church probably means otherwise perhaps it's not a modern setting?

I mean if it's a SWG spiritual successor featuring a church like in the screenshot that really leaves only two options the way I see it, modern post-apocalyptic setting or a western setting.

I'm not expecting it, not even seeing it as likely but part of me is kinda hoping that's a western church and not a modern-day abandoned post-apocalyptic church...

Some kind of "Western" would be surprising innovative for $oE! Nobodies done a Western MMO, I personally think if done well a GOOD Western would be welcomed, people would love something interesting and new. DeadWood online! Yes please! But $oE, and Smegley... not holding my breath.

If I had to throw out a wild guess, I might expect this game to be one in the horror/supernatural/old west genre. It is getting more popular out there, and is a genre untouched by the MMO field.  

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    After reading the articles nowhere does it state that Disney had the license for an MMO game it says online games which seems to be along the lines of Star Wars Space Assault the upcoming free to play shooter. No company would buy a license if the parent company can release a competing product.

SWG is dead and it's a story of failed possibilities. To many features promised and missing from launch, to many time sinks, no story to speak off, holocron grind etc. SWG did nothing but push people constantly out the door. If it had launched with everything in place and a few less time sinks it would still be here today!
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Smed has my full attention now.

SOE's working on a "secret project" that will be a "spiritual successor" to the old SWG game design ?

Color me intrigued...

The supposed registration of "H1Z1" by SOE as an MMO name is less encouraging though, unless that was just a speculative move on their part to secure a potential future title if they decide to make a "zombie game" at some point. Or perhaps that registration was a deliberate red herring...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Naral
    Originally posted by saker
    Originally posted by gobla

While the roof on the house behind the church probably means otherwise perhaps it's not a modern setting?

I mean if it's a SWG spiritual successor featuring a church like in the screenshot that really leaves only two options the way I see it, modern post-apocalyptic setting or a western setting.

I'm not expecting it, not even seeing it as likely but part of me is kinda hoping that's a western church and not a modern-day abandoned post-apocalyptic church...

Some kind of "Western" would be surprising innovative for $oE! Nobodies done a Western MMO, I personally think if done well a GOOD Western would be welcomed, people would love something interesting and new. DeadWood online! Yes please! But $oE, and Smegley... not holding my breath.

If I had to throw out a wild guess, I might expect this game to be one in the horror/supernatural/old west genre. It is getting more popular out there, and is a genre untouched by the MMO field.  

If that were the case, I suppose it could get it's inspiration from this old classic:

Boot Hill

But in an MMO, I seriously doubt the theme will work for the same reason the table top version never really took off.

• clockwerk2013clockwerk2013 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Well when do you expect the game? My guess 2017/18
  • ImperilImperil Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Have fun with your new zombie game SWG fans! =D
    Originally posted by Imperil
    Have fun with your new zombie game SWG fans! =D

This is the exact thing I don't understand.

In a "sandbox" It's about the setting, not the theme.

Early 21st century society would be the setting. Even post-apocalyptic 21st century Earth is a setting.

But once you throw zombies in, you take that part away from the players and it becomes a theme. It's no longer a "sandbox"

I certainly hope Smed doesn't do a Zombie "themed" Post-Apocalyptic 21st century MMO.

Well, I suppose it's still possible, given SWG was a Themepark-Sandbox hybrid.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I welcome the idea of a contemporary setting; enough fantasy and Sci-Fi out there already. It could be a mystery setting, like TSW, just done right. ^^

I hope it's not Zombie-stuff, like some ppl mentioned.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    I have to agree with most of the tinfoil speculation here. It looks like a zombie survival game. Perfect setting for Smed's idea of a "spiritual" successor to SWG, considering what he gleans as spiritual successor encompasses farming, gathering, staking claims to open world land and then building. What better place to do all that kind of stuff than a post-apocalyptic world that is ripe for pillaging? As original as a white sheet of paper, but hey, it's a spiritual successor, amiright? 

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

Originally posted by Pyuk
    I have to agree with most of the tinfoil speculation here. It looks like a zombie survival game. Perfect setting for Smed's idea of a "spiritual" successor to SWG, considering what he gleans as spiritual successor encompasses farming, gathering, staking claims to open world land and then building. What better place to do all that kind of stuff than a post-apocalyptic world that is ripe for pillaging? As original as a white sheet of paper, but hey, it's a spiritual successor, amiright? 

A sick joke would be Smed intentionally putting together the worst ideas he can think of so that later on, he can come back and say

"See, there just isn't enough demand out there for a SWG kind of game" just to shut up the SWG vets.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by newbinator
    A contemporary setting has zero appeal for me. I don't need the SW IP, but c'mon... at least make it sci-fi if you're gonna say it's aimed at SWG players.

i agree

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    I think Smeds trying to milk the SWG name to Hype a subpar Day Z/ War Z zombie MMO clone game because you know there's just not enough zombies games currently out :P 
  • gakulegakule Member UncommonPosts: 92

I never played SWG so this is just me making a conjecture based on watching gameplay / hearing others speak about it at great length.

If I'm not mistaken, they said they want to make it a spiritual successor. Additionally, if not mistaken, SWG was a sandbox game where you could "pave your own way" and there was a strong sense of community. You could make your own job, make your own economy, etc... Obviously they aren't going to be able to make this game into another star wars game, but what is stopping them from injecting that design into a more modern setting, or even a modern setting with the ability to go into space and other planets? It's not unreasonable to take SWG design and give it a real life feel and real world style graphics, is it? Who know's what direction they'll take it, but something tells me that he is trying to make some kind of an iconic connection.