Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: 'Spiritual Successor' in a Modern Setting?

Comments

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Hairysun

I am inclined to think you aren't looking deep enough into Smedleys photo.  Lets not forget ol' Smed is a pretty smart guy.   Notice the cork board behind the monitor.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/37/3776/G1GIF00Z/posters/johnny-cash-live-at-san-quentin.jpg

So now what do you think it means ..........

I think it means he likes Johnny Cash and the album art happens to be hanging in the room.

I dunno - I save my tinfoil for aliens and bigfoot; not puter games.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by Acidon
    Wait.. How can that picture be considered "Modern" compared to a game with Space Flight, War, Colonization, Aliens and Androids?

Those things are futuristic or scifi.

We currently in real life have space flight.  We went to the moon decades ago.

We have war, just read the news.

We have had colonization throughout history.

Aliens are real too - they take my order at Del Taco.

Androids are becoming the most common type of phone.

;)

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360

I'm SO over zombies.

If it is a zombie title as far as I'm concerned it'll be LDOA, or launched dead on arrival.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I don't like modern mmo themes. i probably won't be interested because of that. I like sword and board... unless it's star wars.
  • DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    l don't care for SOE games anymore, lm tired of spending my money and time for them to cancel them when they feel like it. First SWG and now Vanguard two games l was still playing. Unless is a real SWG game coming out, no thanks SOE.

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121

Those graphics have a very similar artistic style to SWG, the detail and realism are there. I would dig a survival horror MMO but whatever the "successor" turns out to be, I'm not sure I'd  want another slice of SOE pie.

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

i cant get it why people always bash publishers for mistakes they did long ago. Its like those old people who don't get it that things changed.

to the tease Picture could be one of three things

1. Zombie-Horror-Survival

2.Post-Apocalyptic-Survival

3. Modern Steam-Punk

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    A post apocalyptic earth sandbox and open world mmorpg would be pretty sweet.  I liked Fallen Earth but SoE has the means to do something more with this genre.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Ecoces
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I think it will be called SWG:Next and will launch in two parts.  The first will be SWG:Next Landmark.  In that version you can pay $100 to join the alpha for the free game (oh yeah that also give you a special badge and tool).  This first game will be mostly focused on building things in your own plot of land that you will stake out.  The terrain is deformable and you can build structures like the church shown in the screenshot.

This game will have little to nothing to do with the original SWG but rather will capitalize on it's name to draw curious people to take a look.

take my money!

Not to worry, Have some patience. Trust me, they are getting to that.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Ecoces

take my money!

Not to worry, Have some patience. Trust me, they are getting to that.

with the all access sub to all soe games - may not have to pay a dime extra

(if already playing a soe game)

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by stragen001

Listen up SWG fanatics.... neither SOE, nor anyone else will be making SWG2. 

The only people that can make ANY Star Wars games for the next 10 years are EA. EA already have a Star Wars MMO - SWTOR. 

Ontop of this, there are a couple of thousand people TOTAL that want SWG2 (most of them seem to frequent this site) so it would not make business sense to produce a game for such a niche market. 

Wrong....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-06/electronic-arts-gets-star-wars-game-license-from-disney.html

Disney will “retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories,” the companies said in a joint statement. That include licensing out the SW license for a new MMORPG to another publisher thats not EA.

Wanted to note as well this SW game in development that lends proff that they retain the right to make or license out the SW license outside EA to make games is this one in development.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/star-wars-assault-squadrons-space-combat-sim-reason-try/

Lucasarts,Disney Interactive, and 52 Games no where it has EA anywhere stamped on the game.

Here is the games official site

http://www.starwarsattacksquadrons.com/

No where it has EA stamped on it at all. This whole deal with EA has a lot of people confused, EA is not going to be the only game in town making Star Wars games, the fact the Disney retains the  rights to make certain genres including a MMORPG would leave out EA having one of their studios making another mediocore MMORPG like it did with TOR.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I am inclined to think you aren't looking deep enough into Smedleys photo.  Lets not forget ol' Smed is a pretty smart guy.   Notice the cork board behind the monitor.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/37/3776/G1GIF00Z/posters/johnny-cash-live-at-san-quentin.jpg

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Facilities_Locator/SQ.html

I think it means that the next SOE MMO will be a prison themepark.  You log onto your account and sit in your cell trapped in true themepark fashion.

Highlights of this MMO will be:

1) Three "Hots"

2) One "Cot"

3) One hour of inmate exercise in the recreation yard with exploration achievements.

4) Crafting will consist of making and upgrading your prison shank.

5) PvP will be the shower gangrape.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Umm maybe we will really get lucky and it will be Firefly.......

Sci-fi with a heavy modern/western look. Hows that for a spiritual successor to SWG!

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by JJ82

Umm maybe we will really get lucky and it will be Firefly.......

Sci-fi with a heavy modern/western look. Hows that for a spiritual successor to SWG!

If they did it well, that would be amazing. 

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Another zombie survival game. Damnit, there's no originality in that.
  • SwearSwear Member Posts: 5

Maybe I'm wrong but, I see something small in the picture that caught my eye after zooming in on it.  I looked at the building and could see one of the "stars" in front of it, the "blurr" of the stars had a few people commenting about it being a meteor shower, I think perhaps it could be embers...

Maybe something blew up on the sky and is raining down?

Just a thought.

You'll lose a lot of money chasing women, but you'll never lose a woman chasing money.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Zombie survival game with SWG crafting system

Hey guys! I'm making a new MMO! It's gonna be the best MMO ever made! It's gonna have all the stuff everyone wants and it's not gonna have anything anyone doesn't want. All you guys will be able to come home now.

Here's a pic about the concept.

(New MMO Concept)

But srsly........WTF

Smed posts what is, for all intents and purposes, a random Internet pic and says, "Spiritual Successor to SWG" and the MMO World goes BAT S**T.

To answer the OP's question, I'm thinking this is one big troll.

• SwearSwear Member Posts: 5

Hey guys! I'm making a new MMO! It's gonna be the best MMO ever made! It's gonna have all the stuff everyone wants and it's not gonna have anything anyone doesn't want.

All you guys will be able to come home now.

Tell me what you think.

(New MMO Concept)

But srsly........WTF

Finally, I can "go home" to Farmville!

You'll lose a lot of money chasing women, but you'll never lose a woman chasing money.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Its the poster, the screenshots are a red herring.

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

Hey guys! I'm making a new MMO! It's gonna be the best MMO ever made! It's gonna have all the stuff everyone wants and it's not gonna have anything anyone doesn't want. All you guys will be able to come home now.

(New MMO Concept)

But srsly........WTF

Smed posts what is, for all intents and purposes, a random Internet pic and says, "Spiritual Successor to SWG" and the MMO World goes BAT S**T.

Funniest post all day.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but you are right.

Originally posted by rguilbert

(New MMO Concept)

But srsly........WTF

Funniest post all day.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but you are right.

I can see him and his cronies kicking back laughing their asses off over the shit storm saying"

"OK, that was some funny shit right there, but we really need to come up with something. Here's the inspiration for the art direction"

• budbundybudbundy Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I would be willing to bet they got the rights to the Walking Dead and are making a sandbox style mmo similar to (and to cash in on the popularity) Dayz....makes perfect sense!
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Remember, Smedley is the one who called old SWG boring and tried to turn it into WoW. Which ended up shutting it down permanently.

I know SOE has been desperately trying to fix their bad reputation this past year, but pretending that they liked SWG when they're the ones who wrecked it? Going a little too far IMO.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

(New MMO Concept)

But srsly........WTF

To answer the OP's question, I'm thinking this is one big troll.

HEHEHEHEH ROFL :D