Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: 'Spiritual Successor' in a Modern Setting?

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Acidon
    Wait.. How can that picture be considered "Modern" compared to a game with Space Flight, War, Colonization, Aliens and Androids?

Those things are futuristic or scifi.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Hey, I wouldn't mind a current setting type game in sandbox format.  Even if it was a post apoc game.  I guess, a cross between The Secret World and Dayz.  I played TSW for about 3 months, enjoying it. But I got bored by the time I reached endgame. Plus, the game had bad pvp and crafting. I could see SOE add to that genre, and create something better.  Good luck.  
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by gobla

While the roof on the house behind the church probably means otherwise perhaps it's not a modern setting?

I mean if it's a SWG spiritual successor featuring a church like in the screenshot that really leaves only two options the way I see it, modern post-apocalyptic setting or a western setting.

I'm not expecting it, not even seeing it as likely but part of me is kinda hoping that's a western church and not a modern-day abandoned post-apocalyptic church...

Some kind of "Western" would be surprising innovative for $oE! Nobodies done a Western MMO, I personally think if done well a GOOD Western would be welcomed, people would love something interesting and new. DeadWood online! Yes please! But $oE, and Smegley... not holding my breath.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I think it will be called SWG:Next and will launch in two parts.  The first will be SWG:Next Landmark.  In that version you can pay $100 to join the alpha for the free game (oh yeah that also give you a special badge and tool).  This first game will be mostly focused on building things in your own plot of land that you will stake out.  The terrain is deformable and you can build structures like the church shown in the screenshot.

This game will have little to nothing to do with the original SWG but rather will capitalize on it's name to draw curious people to take a look.

Sounds like a $oE marketing department wet dream!

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by saker
    Originally posted by ste2000

I just have to laugh at the sign above the screen................ that sums up $oE quite well

They can't even take a photo without making a gaffe

Ha! I wouldn't call it a gaf, more like a freudian slip...

Or maybe a subliminal message from Smedley to all SWG fans.............

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/37/3776/G1GIF00Z/posters/johnny-cash-live-at-san-quentin.jpg

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Wait.. How can that picture be considered "Modern" compared to a game with Space Flight, War, Colonization, Aliens and Androids?

When I looked at the picture I was thinking maybe a "modern" mmo that takes place 70 years from now in the year 2084. Would still have space travel and droids but (not) floating bubble housing and outrageous alien species.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414

While the roof on the house behind the church probably means otherwise perhaps it's not a modern setting?

I mean if it's a SWG spiritual successor featuring a church like in the screenshot that really leaves only two options the way I see it, modern post-apocalyptic setting or a western setting.

I'm not expecting it, not even seeing it as likely but part of me is kinda hoping that's a western church and not a modern-day abandoned post-apocalyptic church...

Some kind of "Western" would be surprising innovative for $oE! Nobodies done a Western MMO, I personally think if done well a GOOD Western would be welcomed, people would love something interesting and new. DeadWood online! Yes please! But $oE, and Smegley... not holding my breath.

The guy who made the RPG Deadlands was involved in CoH for a time. I know he really wanted to get his game made into a MMO.

I could go for a Gunslinger Online type of MMO.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by SBFord

Those things are futuristic or scifi.

:)  Okay, if we're going to nitpick, the only thing we're missing in our "Modern" setting IRL is War and Colonization in Space.  And we'll soon have people on Mars.

But I do understand your point and feel a bit foolish now.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Side-note.. What do you think about using "Smogley" as his new name?  Since he blows so much smoke?  I like it.  I used to like SoE :(

• widginwidgin Member UncommonPosts: 11

Well, I'm going to go with an infected  / Zombie type mmo .

As I said in one of my other posts, on Smedley's cryptic remarks about how SWG players can "come home now", Sony trademarked the name H1Z1 a couple of weeks ago.

It's an online multiplayer rpg.

H1Z1 was a Zombie Hoax that happened several years ago. Guess we'll find out.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Actually, I'd rather not play another star wars genre game ever again. I'm traumatized by the sheer garbage star wars based that's been relea see ed in the last 10 years. A solid zombie sandbox would be just fine for me.

The star wars genre is done.
  • -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Not another zombie game...

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Well this is bull shit smedley seems like he's just fucking with Swg fans on this crap. Which goes to show SOE never cared about the community  in the first place .  At this point I feel like i'd rather  make  my own damn SWG game. And also glad there's an emulator for both games it might take a long time for both the pre cu and the nge to be finished but hey at least they are promising what they fucking  deliver 

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    My first thought when I looked at that pic :" Zombie game".
  • MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526
    I love that poster in the background ... "CASH".
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    im thinking judging from these pics it's either going to be yet another lame zombie game, or a TSW clone
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Listen up SWG fanatics.... neither SOE, nor anyone else will be making SWG2. 

The only people that can make ANY Star Wars games for the next 10 years are EA. EA already have a Star Wars MMO - SWTOR. 

Ontop of this, there are a couple of thousand people TOTAL that want SWG2 (most of them seem to frequent this site) so it would not make business sense to produce a game for such a niche market. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by stragen001

Listen up SWG fanatics.... neither SOE, nor anyone else will be making SWG2. 

The only people that can make ANY Star Wars games for the next 10 years are EA. EA already have a Star Wars MMO - SWTOR. 

Ontop of this, there are a couple of thousand people TOTAL that want SWG2 (most of them seem to frequent this site) so it would not make business sense to produce a game for such a niche market. 

Thank you for all those facts.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Hmmm... not western but maybe not fully modern, by the back building roof. Maybe 20's gangster or C'thulu type game. Look in the day time shot there looks like a classic car on the left.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Ohh I wanted laser beam swords and beam rifles.
  • ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Yeah facts brought to us by people that when we were all playing video games  they were off at biz school learning about dimagraphs and investing. No fucking  way your words hold sway here go back to ur suit and tie maybe catch some cancer along the way for us 

• Tjman112Tjman112 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    The best part of SWG (and the only decent part other than crafting and JTL, IMO) was the community, and that's something SOE can't replicate no matter how hard they try. That part is up to the players and, judging from the responses (and crying) here, it's definitely a no-go.

Thing is, most of the SWG "fans" that are crying and who aren't even willing to give it a chance sound more like the worst portion of the community we had and give the community a bad name. If you played SWG pre CU and NGE and experienced that community you'd know they'd be more open minded. That community was great and having interacted with a great deal of it, they'd not be so immature and close minded to disregard everything. Not saying we shouldn't be skeptical, but the outright bashing by some of these people hardly make the us (The SWG community) seem as great as it actually was.

Also, lets be honest. They can't make a true SWG 2. It'd have to be Space Wars Galaxies or some other offshoot, but it couldn't be Star Wars Galaxies 2.

• victorvndoomvictorvndoom Member UncommonPosts: 19

iut could be their new zombie game in a more modern setting, or slaying zombies with lightsabers :p

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

I'm not sure if I see spiritual successor or zombie survival with a few tweets to tease SWG fans.

Guess I'll find out later, but I remain cautiously skeptical.

• FermianFermian Member UncommonPosts: 28

Or a Firefly setting... :)