Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: 'Spiritual Successor' in a Modern Setting?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley, one who dearly loves to tease his followers, has released a pair of images on Twitter that, while not explicitly stated as so, are probably from the game that Smed called "the spiritual successor to SWG". The pics indicate that the as-yet unannounced game will take place in a modern setting. What do you think?

imageimage

Via Massively.joystiq.com

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

I think it will be called SWG:Next and will launch in two parts.  The first will be SWG:Next Landmark.  In that version you can pay $100 to join the alpha for the free game (oh yeah that also give you a special badge and tool).  This first game will be mostly focused on building things in your own plot of land that you will stake out.  The terrain is deformable and you can build structures like the church shown in the screenshot.

This game will have little to nothing to do with the original SWG but rather will capitalize on it's name to draw curious people to take a look.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• lostscout5lostscout5 Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I think it will be called SWG:Next and will launch in two parts.  The first will be SWG:Next Landmark.  In that version you can pay $100 to join the alpha for the free game (oh yeah that also give you a special badge and tool).  This first game will be mostly focused on building things in your own plot of land that you will stake out.  The terrain is deformable and you can build structures like the church shown in the screenshot.

This game will have little to nothing to do with the original SWG but rather will capitalize on it's name to draw curious people to take a look.

Sounds about right.  You certainly got the SOE spirit right !

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I just have to laugh at the sign above the screen................ that sums up $oE quite well

They can't even take a photo without making a gaffe

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    sounds interesting. i spose we will see and hear more over the next couple of years.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

take my money!

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Originally posted by lostscout5

Sounds about right.  You certainly got the SOE spirit right !

LOL, can't help but laugh. Those EQ titles look like jokes to me, no interest. I would like an actual SWG II rather than a spiritual successor though. Oh well, we'll see what time brings.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

If its not SWG 2 then I don't care what crap they say or how nice they seem to be to us. What the hell is a church doing in a game that is supposed to be for SWG fans. 

Like some people have brought up Zombies. If this is a joke then I will laugh.

But right now I dont want to play a Crappy Zombie game or any other game.

If SOE is building a home for SWG players then it needs to Be SWG  (I don't care if its NGE or not) with a new engine or SWG 2 (to go along with the new movies). 

I will not settle for anything less if SOE wants my money. 

But at the most what ever MMo SOE has planed for SWG players It needs to be in space and not on earth or F'n Zombies.  

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

I am inclined to think you aren't looking deep enough into Smedleys photo.  Lets not forget ol' Smed is a pretty smart guy.   Notice the cork board behind the monitor.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/37/3776/G1GIF00Z/posters/johnny-cash-live-at-san-quentin.jpg

So now what do you think it means ..........

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by bbethel

Like some people have brought up Zombies. If they is a joke then I will laugh.

Not an unreasonable speculation really, that screenshot looks like the copy/paste area in every zombie/survival game.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Yupp.. Zombie game it is.

This have been a good conversation

• LeiHngWeiLeiHngWei Member UncommonPosts: 67

And don't forget that SWG: Landmark will have little to no chance of interacting with SWG: Next, because OTHER players will vote on how you decorate YOUR player housing.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Hairysun

I am inclined to think you aren't looking deep enough into Smedleys photo.  Lets not forget ol' Smed is a pretty smart guy.   Notice the cork board behind the monitor.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/37/3776/G1GIF00Z/posters/johnny-cash-live-at-san-quentin.jpg

So now what do you think it means ..........

Eheh yeah.............. it is like "we want your cash" /insert that picture

Genius :)

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    They're next game is likely a SWG sandbox style Zombie game. It won't be SWG, that ship has sailed a long time ago and isn't coming back.
  • EugeneKDudleyEugeneKDudley Member Posts: 58

More modern looking?... I dare not guess what this games genre will be. Best bet for them is find that lost Pre CU build and just model swap and name change the original game before CU. Most of the game is right there (Mostly built) and cost of upgrading to more modern graphics would be the most cost effective way to roll this out.

Plus create a program that allows former players to possibly join in on beta's and receive a proper title of "Veteran" before the game launches.

Stick to the winning formula that they originally started with and build upon it. Waste of resources building another engine that is effectively built already.

"By all means, reach for the stars but you need to build the spaceship first"

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Omigosh! SWG is back you guys, its back!!! Opens wallet and starts throwing money at SOE..........lol
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    The best part of SWG (and the only decent part other than crafting and JTL, IMO) was the community, and that's something SOE can't replicate no matter how hard they try. That part is up to the players and, judging from the responses (and crying) here, it's definitely a no-go.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• coldcorpsecoldcorpse Member UncommonPosts: 4

what if SOE is making the walking dead online

what if it shares the crafting system of SWG and the pre NGE leveling system

if so i would give any money to be in that beta

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

While the roof on the house behind the church probably means otherwise perhaps it's not a modern setting?

I mean if it's a SWG spiritual successor featuring a church like in the screenshot that really leaves only two options the way I see it, modern post-apocalyptic setting or a western setting.

I'm not expecting it, not even seeing it as likely but part of me is kinda hoping that's a western church and not a modern-day abandoned post-apocalyptic church...

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by Torcip
    They're next game is likely a SWG sandbox style Zombie game. It won't be SWG, that ship has sailed a long time ago and isn't coming back.

I really hope not. Zombies have been way overexposed the last couple of years. I'd pass on a zombie MMO without even looking to see if the gameplay is interesting.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by ste2000

I just have to laugh at the sign above the screen................ that sums up $oE quite well

I had to do a virtual facepalm at that as well.   *sigh*

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

ROFLPMP

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by SBFord

Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley, one who dearly loves to tease his followers, has released a pair of images on Twitter that, while not explicitly stated as so, are probably from the game that Smed called "the spiritual successor to SWG". The pics indicate that the as-yet unannounced game will take place in a modern setting. What do you think?

Via Massively.joystiq.com

It doesn't matter. It won't be SWG.

Unfortuntately.

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Sometimes the truth is funnier than fiction!

And the Smed is on crank if he thinks the majority of SWG vets are EVER going to give him 10 cents after the BS he pulled.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Wait.. How can that picture be considered "Modern" compared to a game with Space Flight, War, Colonization, Aliens and Androids?
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Ha! I wouldn't call it a gaf, more like a freudian slip...