Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: Richard Garriott and Brad McQuaid Team-Up

2»

Comments

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    Originally posted by psiic
    Originally posted by BRacila
    Don't always follow kicktraq. It's wrong a lot of the times. Ask the Pathfinder Online guys, they were trending worse than Pantheon was and ended up funding.

However many of us that have been high dollar supporters on kickstarter are starting to come to our senses and realize 99% of these kickstarter projects are just criminals stealing our money legally. Most of them do not have the skills, desire, or intent to ever create the games they promise and are just making just enough of a basic attempt to keep criminal charges from being filed. 

Took me 4 years and a lot of money, but I have learned NEVER give a single dollar to crowdfunding.

If these Indie studios have a good game and are above board they can get traditional funding just like every developer that came before them. 

Crowdfunding may have had good intention when it was conceived however now it has become nothing but conmen and criminals.

Congratulations! 

Your hyperbole has entered the Stratosphere!

Is that intended as an insult? Of course its hyperbole ( an exaggeration generated to create strong feelings or impression, not meant to be taken literally ) 

I have no way of knowing the exact percent, but it is so prevalent in crowdfunding now, that it makes it very risky to place your money into a project. 

Even so it does not excuse these developers from following the path of conventional funding. 

Look at the financials on what these video games make,  yet these RICH, connected, experienced developers are so greedy they would rather bleed the players for FREE money, rather than half to share the profits with investors.

There is an excess of investor dollars sitting out there for the taking but as long as the gamer addicts are willing to throw our food and rent money at them, they are gonna sit there and take and take and take.

Moving back release dates and launching more crowdfunding, to bleed the rock for as much as they can.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Don't always follow kicktraq. It's wrong a lot of the times. Ask the Pathfinder Online guys, they were trending worse than Pantheon was and ended up funding.

However many of us that have been high dollar supporters on kickstarter are starting to come to our senses and realize 99% of these kickstarter projects are just criminals stealing our money legally. Most of them do not have the skills, desire, or intent to ever create the games they promise and are just making just enough of a basic attempt to keep criminal charges from being filed. 

Took me 4 years and a lot of money, but I have learned NEVER give a single dollar to crowdfunding.

If these Indie studios have a good game and are above board they can get traditional funding just like every developer that came before them. 

Crowdfunding may have had good intention when it was conceived however now it has become nothing but conmen and criminals.

This is so true. just google  to find out.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Finally people are coming to their senses. It took me zero dollars and about 30 seconds to realize this but at least people are coming around before they waste more money on these has-been's cashing in, no stealing the working man's money on their snake oil and once this dries out for them maybe we can go back to where they work hard and make a game then we buy an actual product if we like it.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Please forgive me but I'd trust two of the fathers of the genre more than I would trust an EA, Anet or Blizzard. So you go right on ahead getting robbed by them, and I will glady get robbed by the folk who those three companies have made a significant portions of their salaries on instead.

It amazes me when the anti Kickstarter crowd jumps up and screams but then gladly spends their money on TESO and SWTOR. 

SWTOR has invisible boots in its cash shop. Boots that you can spend real hard earned cash on.

Garriot, Jacobs and McQuaid have -never- done anything like that.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Oh goody. Maybe they'll sell all the good housing plots in Pantheon for real $$ too.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    When bad meets evil.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Aradune & British sittin' in a tree. L-a-r-p-I-n-g.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by Vonatar

Brad to Lord British: "People are being mean to me, not funding my KS and teasing me about the mess I made with Vanguard. Can you help me?"

Lord British to Brad: "Rest easy, my child. I am the father of MMORPGs. I have seen the stars. I have defeated the mighty NCSoft. I will give you some credibility"

You stole my joke :S

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Awesome.  Two failed game developers who haven't been relevant in at least 10 years and are living off their one and only successes are teaming up.  Double the fun, double the fail.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Awesome.  Two failed game developers who haven't been relevant in at least 10 years and are living off their one and only successes are teaming up.  Double the fun, double the fail.

Oh look your average mmorpg poster, far too jaded to actually play games anymore, but enjoys playing forums more than games.

Nothing to see here folks, carry on....

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Oh look your average mmorpg poster, far too jaded to actually play games anymore, but enjoys playing forums more than games.

Nothing to see here folks, carry on....

I play plenty of games.  My Steam library has 241 of them alone.  I just haven't played anything Garriot or McQuaid has made recently because they haven't really done anything significant in over 10 years.  They're just another in a long line of video game devs that have lived off of the one success they've had (Garriot with Ultima and McQuaid with EQ).  Until they can come up with something new that's playable and not a complete hot mess of fail, I stand by my statement.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• grundgegrundge Member Posts: 1

Lmao, I guess all those supporters have forgotten about Vanguard.

I have not.  This is the same Brad McQuaid and he is making the same promises as he did before.  Vanguard was going to be the next gen mmo he said, yea right and that thing failed at LAUNCH, not a few months or years in, but the launch was a mess.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.   Those supporters would be wise to took take heed of my advice, but hey whatever...there's a sucker born every minute.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by grundge

Lmao, I guess all those supporters have forgotten about Vanguard.

I have not.  This is the same Brad McQuaid and he is making the same promises as he did before.  Vanguard was going to be the next gen mmo he said, yea right and that thing failed at LAUNCH, not a few months or years in, but the launch was a mess.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.   Those supporters would be wise to took take heed of my advice, but hey whatever...there's a sucker born every minute.

No, I haven't forgotten about Vanguard, and you can chalk it up to one of the reasons, along with EQ as to why I like the idea of it. 

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

I'm sure that Pantheon will be no SWTOR, or Guild Wars 2, and it is hard to trust someone like Brad McQuaid when people like Smedley, EA, and anyone hocking a "sandbox" just inherently has undoubted credibility with "real MMORPG gamers".

We are seeing the REVOLUTION of MMORPG gaming today.  The community of MMORPG.com leads the way in harkening its dawn.

Free to play is here to stay.  No longer do you have to pay a RIDICULOUS $15/month subscription when you have the freedom to spend as much money as you want in a cash shop.  A hundred dollars, a thousand dollars, it is up to you!

No more tab targetting.  We have ACTION COMBAT now, Brad keeps talking about strategic combat and a slower pace with "meaningful utility".  What a geezer, young people today know that they put every bit as much strategy into spamming their rotations as we ever did in old school MMO's like FFXI or EQ, they just do it 100x faster.  Face it you old fogies, we are living in the shadow of today's superhuman youth bred on genetically modified foods and raised by mother social media without pesky hindrances like human empathy or lengthy attention spans holding them back. 

These uberhumans demand a NEW breed of MMO.  One where they aren't bogged down by forced grouping with other human beings, one with no "endgame content" rat race keeping them down!  On-demand entertainment should be neatly packaged and instantly delivered complete with equal rewards for all!

If Brad was a smart businessman he would be developing the game they want, something like EQ Next!

Instead he is merely stuck in the past of MMORPG's the way they used to be, you know games we already played before and therefore never need to see again!  Do you really want those old experiences back?  Take off your nostalgia tinted glasses and realize that you were just fooling yourself in thinking you ever really had fun or made friends in those MMO's, embrace the revolution!  Once this kickstarter dies the new age of MMO's will soon be complete, and we will never "regress" to the dinosaurs of the past again!

Pantheon has gotten quite a few new backers lately, I just hope everyone else realizes what fools they are throwing their money in the garbage!   Just think how many sparkly invisible horses, exp potions, and other cash shop goods in a number of fully modernized MMO's you could have invested that hard earned cash in.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Funny how I thought to myself about a month ago if Richard and Brad should parter up and then I see a news like this.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.