Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you join a guild lead by girls?

Comments

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188

Let me direct you to a  little video by Jon Lajoie to give you my answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z5JsrO7378

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by loopback1199
    I don't care if my guilds are ran by women. Flirting with them gets you all sorts of rank and free stuff >.>

In fact usually it is just the other way around.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by MrTuggles

Let me direct you to a  little video by Jon Lajoie to give you my answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z5JsrO7378

I only had to listen until 0:10 to know the guy knows what he is talking about and that whatever would follow is spot on.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by loopback1199
    I don't care if my guilds are ran by women. Flirting with them gets you all sorts of rank and free stuff >.>

In fact usually it is just the other way around.

LOL! +1

That said, there is either: 1) An astonishing level of honesty in this thread that, even if I disagree, I support (at least I know who to avoid!); or 2) an amazing amount of A+ trolling.

Personally, I think a little of both. ;)

Touche to the OP for at least sparking an interesting discussion. 

Bottom line for me: I don't care if male or female. I care about leadership skills, maturity, and the fun factor. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I just went back through the thread and HOLY COW, MAN. 

I have a couple of female friends that regularly post on Facebook about crazy incidents of bias and ridiculously skewed views in regards to female gamers. At times I'd wonder if they or the articles they were posting weren't exaggerating the situation, but when I read posts like some of the recent ones here I'm like "Holy crap, they're not kidding. There really is some seriously ... I don't even know what to call it... backwards? Neanderthal? thinking out there. 

I get the feeling that if some of the people here found out how many of the team leads that designed their games were women or how many MMO community teams were led by women their heads would explode. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Meion
    I've come to see that many serious pve/pvp guilds in games are lead by guys. There are guilds lead by girls but they rarely collect good players and form a guild system to dominate the server. Why do you think it doesn't usually happen? And would you join a guild lead by two girls (Who are taking the game and the guild seriously)? If not, could you tell why? Thanks!

raided for 3 years under a female raid leader. It was never an issue.

I've been in two raiding guilds, both led by females.  Why does it matter? And why do you say it like women can't take the game seriously?  I think you will find that dudes take the game less seriously than females if you compare the percentages of each sex's player base.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I have a couple of female friends that regularly post on Facebook about crazy incidents of bias and ridiculously skewed views in regards to female gamers. At times I'd wonder if they or the articles they were posting weren't exaggerating the situation, but when I read posts like some of the recent ones here I'm like "Holy crap, they're not kidding. There really is some seriously ... I don't even know what to call it... backwards? Neanderthal? thinking out there. 

I get the feeling that if some of the people here found out how many of the team leads that designed their games were women or how many MMO community teams were led by women their heads would explode. 

It's amazing, isn't it? I'm not necessarily saying it's happening here. I think most of the Neanderthal commentary is trolling for reaction.

But it does happen with astonishing regularity and the fact that it does happen is only mocked and dismissed by those who have no idea what they're talking about. Having spent a long time as an elementary school teacher, I didn't face that type of bias, but plenty of my friends in other employment situations did. 

Again, I'm not a raging feminist, most of that sort just tick me off  as much as the girly girls do. Real life is somewhere in between for most women and we happen to be gamers and damned good ones.

In today's world, drama in leadership happens on all sides not, IMO, because of the leader's gender, but because of the overall lack of decency and too-easily-offended attitude that is pervasive on the Internet as a whole.

Ain't one gender or "type" that has a lock on idiocy on the 'Net. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

It's like a tech company with a female CEO. It can work - but IMHO its unlikely.

I have been playing MMOs for a long time. I know what you want to look for in a Guild leader.

1) Leader needs to LOVE the game. They need to play alot and really be into it.

2) The leader needs to be an "A" player. They need to know every class fairly well and be experts at their chosen class.

3) They don't need to be "nice" but they need to be fair. People think this is the same thing but its not the same at all. I don't want to wait an extra 3 hours for the raid to start because Sally's kid is not feeling well. I don't want to donate the loot I won via the guild loot system to Samantha because she had a bad day. I don't want someone who will excuse a poor performer because he or she likes them.

Call it sexist  but many women miss on 1, 2, and 3. So do most guys of course. But of the few players that have all the qualities you need there seems to be more men. It's like a female race car driver. Danica Patrick is a good driver. She is the exception though not the rule.

• NextGemNextGem Member Posts: 42
    are they naked on skype video call? then yes!

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Just to put this out there the best raid healer I have every known was an 8 year old girl. 

Mostly because she would listen, focus, and follow orders.. 

cough

unlike most women.

• PizzaGoblinPizzaGoblin Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Well, If you would have asked me this question  in 1974 I may have had an answer for yeh; to ask this question 40 years later is just wrong. 

"If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger."

Frank Lloyd Wright

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by iridescence
    Originally posted by Vutar

For every girl/woman in the U.S. that you find without the sense of entitlement, you will find ten who have it. It simply is not worth the time trying to weed through the many cases of princess syndrome in order to find one American woman who is worth knowing.

Here, have a little racism to go along with your sexism.... Most've the guilds I've been in have actually had women in ssome sort of leadership position and they do just as good a job as their male counterparts in general (sometimes better). I hate being in guilds led by immature people and not wanting to be in a guild led by a woman shows a really immature attitude so I'm just as glad if I never end up in guilds with some posters in this thread.

You may want to look up sexism. You clearly have no idea what it is by your response.

I know exactly what it is. Assigning prejudiced  characteristics to women just because they are women. Saying most American women share negative characteristics is clearly an example of both racism (prejudice against a nationality) and sexism because you specified women. 

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172

This shouldn't even be a discussion in this day and age. Although, I am impressed with the large amounts of mature posts regarding this topic. Disregarding some of the "boys" having issues with smelly girls telling them what to do in a raid.

That being said, whenever there has been an issue with regards to women being in guilds, the problems seem to come from the way the other men/boys act in the guild when women/girls are around. They turn into complete fools. They baby them, and they don't let them defend themselves when it needs to be done. They think they're doing them a favor by doing this but in reality all they're doing is perpetuating the ideology of the way women tend to STILL be viewed in this world.

Women aren't helpless creatures. They can fight for themselves. They can make their own decisions. They can lead.

A wise man once said that the largest problem that exists in this day and age when it comes to the advancement of the entire human race, is the freedom of all women. A society is only operating 50% efficiency if women are not on an equal level with men.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by SBFord

It's amazing, isn't it? I'm not necessarily saying it's happening here. I think most of the Neanderthal commentary is trolling for reaction.

I think you're giving them too much credit.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

But it does happen with astonishing regularity and the fact that it does happen is only mocked and dismissed by those who have no idea what they're talking about. Having spent a long time as an elementary school teacher, I didn't face that type of bias, but plenty of my friends in other employment situations did. 

Again, I'm not a raging feminist, most of that sort just tick me off  as much as the girly girls do. Real life is somewhere in between for most women and we happen to be gamers and damned good ones.

In today's world, drama in leadership happens on all sides not, IMO, because of the leader's gender, but because of the overall lack of decency and too-easily-offended attitude that is pervasive on the Internet as a whole.

Ain't one gender or "type" that has a lock on idiocy on the 'Net. 

I find I cannot reply to any of the posts due to the level of bigotry displayed here. Some people's inability to celebrate differences and why their are differences over identifying weaknesses makes it a pointless debate. There is no debate in fact. I respect these people's rights to express their opinion by putting their foot in their mouth but that in itself is enough to reveal their current inability to see otherwise. I need not add more to it through further comments. In fact, this is my last comment on this subject.

It takes a life time for someone to see past their bigotry and it may never happen if they decide not to remove themselves from environments supporting such views. This thread will not resolve anything. It is just a snap shot of the current opinion of each person at the stage they are at in their life. If seen for what it is, it has it's purpose.

You stay sassy!

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

Would you join a guild lead by girls?

Of Course, being one I would love it..

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I honestly wonder to what extent it is that and to what extent it is just saying deeply held beliefs that they would be too cowardly to express face to face or wouldn't do it because they realize it would make them look like a bigoted idiot to their friends.

At least it's good that it seems only a small minority on here are actually expressing those stupid views in this thread but it is kind of sad that in 2014 we haven't totally moved past this.

Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    As long as they don't hog all the crafting resources, I'm ok with it.

Comment of the day! 

<3

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by Meion
    I've come to see that many serious pve/pvp guilds in games are lead by guys. There are guilds lead by girls but they rarely collect good players and form a guild system to dominate the server. Why do you think it doesn't usually happen? And would you join a guild lead by two girls (Who are taking the game and the guild seriously)? If not, could you tell why? Thanks!

I think your issue is the different definition you have of a guild. A Guild to most MMO veterans is about a social community to play the game. "Dominating" the server is seldom the goal. When you take out the 4 year old rush to be called a bad-a and kick everyone in PVP and you look at a community stand point female ran groups are some of the best there are to be a part of.

• WhiskeydustWhiskeydust Member UncommonPosts: 79
    As long as there LEADING me from the kitchen to the bedroom. Why yes I would
  • HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    If the guild has goals that are in line with yours and the GL knows how to lead, why not?
  • XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I don't want to be that guy but I've been in 2 guilds where girls were the leader and it just went badly... I'm not saying all girls start drama but man it was awful. From my experience guys are just much more laid back and can take criticism a lot better than a girl can. 
  • plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Assuming they used ventrilo or mumble first so as to PROVE they weren't really 55/m/pedo

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• Originally posted by plat0nic
    Assuming they used ventrilo or mumble first so as to PROVE they weren't really 55/m/pedo
    That 55/m/pedo can become an 18/F/Supermodel with a simple voice modifier.

This discussion has been closed.