Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 RoS Rip 2015*

2»

Comments

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

An excerpt from the updated post/user the OP stated is a diehardwho was losing faith:

"EDIT: Now that this thread has made its rounds and the issues with loot have been addressed, I am happy to report that RoS is actually shaping up to be quite a good expansion......"

".......My faith in RoS is restored, and I am fairly confident that it will be a highly successful expansion. ^.^"

It looks like most of Droth's concerns were addressed in a recent PTS patch...you know...thats what public test realms are for.

I guess you can lock this thread now, right? lol

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by doodphace

An excerpt from the updated post/user the OP stated is a diehardwho was losing faith:

"EDIT: Now that this thread has made its rounds and the issues with loot have been addressed, I am happy to report that RoS is actually shaping up to be quite a good expansion......"

".......My faith in RoS is restored, and I am fairly confident that it will be a highly successful expansion. ^.^"

It looks like most of Droth's concerns were addressed in a recent PTS patch...you know...thats what public test realms are for.

People are just making too much of some rant thread.

Blizz just double the drop rate and everyone is happy. Of course they are going to rant about low drop rate. And it does not take a genius to know that they are still calibrating numbers in beta.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

That is certainly true, and i agree to some extent of what you say (although i like PoE less than you). The key is that playing D3 is not mutually exclusive to playing PoE, or other ARPG. In fact, not only I play them all, i expect many here to do so. Aside from the big 3 ARPG (D3, TL2, PoE), i would also add that Incredible Adventure of Van helsing is a great ARPG, and i like it only second to D3 (only because the smaller scope), and also Marvel Heroes (which is technically a MMO, but it can be played mostly as a ARPG).

Personally i think ARPG is the way to go .. easier to jump into ... no nonsense focus on combat ... easier to solo ... for me, all around better than MMORPGs. I also think it is not a coincide that many MMORPGs are playing more like action RPGs (like GW2 or NWN).

I am glad that devs remembered that ARPGs exist. For a while the genre was pretty sleepy and the only really decent one that came out at that time was Titan Quest. Last year three main ones came out, and it looks like there are a few more that are in development or about to come out. This is great. I actually feel too that the genre has changed quite a bit. If you consider Gauntlet to be the first in this style of game we have come a long way.

Not so with the MMORPG genre. I feel like we have been devolving in some instances here in comparison to the ARPG genre that is actually getting better, with newer and more interesting features. However, if you are not entirely into combat, MMORPGs can be better. I like picking up a character, devising its raison d'être and playing it as an extension (with changes of course) of me in that virtual world. Not all of that is combat-oriented. I think that ARPGs could eventually become very RPGish or another way of looking it at it is that MMORPGs could become eventually very ARPGish.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Originally posted by doodphace

People often confuse beta testing with trying out the game as a potential buyer. When I beta test I keep the two things separate because often a lot changes are made between the end of the beta test and release.

The D3 team is probably doing lots of overtime right now to push out this product at the stated release date. I have heard of development teams sleeping at their offices even. I don't agree at all with people who post that there is so little time between release and beta now that it is unlikely things will change. All of the changes might not get to the public test server, but I am sure they are being done in parallel to the beta.

That is why I took Droth's post with a grain of salt. Something like loot drop rates and even some of the other systems of loot can be changed. The huge amount of CC that another green poster complained about might be changed (I hope) as well if it turns out to really not be fun for most players. I hope that Blizzard listen, and they seem to show that they do, and get rid of all of the damned pop-up dialogue boxes too during combat and I would pre-order heh heh.

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I am glad that devs remembered that ARPGs exist. For a while the genre was pretty sleepy and the only really decent one that came out at that time was Titan Quest. Last year three main ones came out, and it looks like there are a few more that are in development or about to come out. This is great. I actually feel too that the genre has changed quite a bit. If you consider Gauntlet to be the first in this style of game we have come a long way.

Not so with the MMORPG genre. I feel like we have been devolving in some instances here in comparison to the ARPG genre that is actually getting better, with newer and more interesting features. However, if you are not entirely into combat, MMORPGs can be better. I like picking up a character, devising its raison d'être and playing it as an extension (with changes of course) of me in that virtual world. Not all of that is combat-oriented. I think that ARPGs could eventually become very RPGish or another way of looking it at it is that MMORPGs could become eventually very ARPGish.

Yeah ... recent years (starting from around D3 release time) is good for ARPG. Aside from TL2, PoE and D3, we have Incredible Adv of Van helsing (btw, if you have not tried it, i strongly urge you to do so, it has almost Diablo level of polish, though less in scope, a steampunk world, and great NPCs), Marvel Heroes and the upcoming Legend of Persia (ARPG based on Prince of Persia).

I am hoping the success of D3 will spur more ARPG development. We need some with different settings (like sci-fi).

I don't think MMORPGs are devolving .. i think it is evolving, and taking elements of ARPGs and other genres. The problem is that traditional MMORPGs are too time-consuming, and not even "concentrated coolness". Hence we see they are now more like ARPGs.

Think about why repeating dungeons in Diablo 3 is fun .. but many complains about repeating content in MMORPGs like dailies? The reason is that D3 (and other ARPG) gives us very cool, visceral violence. Killing a single mob again and again is not as fun as blowing up hordes of mobs into blood and splatter again and again.

I hope that Blizzard listen, and they seem to show that they do, and get rid of all of the damned pop-up dialogue boxes too during combat and I would pre-order heh heh.

What pop-up dialogue boxes? I don't remember they have pop up during combat?

Originally posted by nariusseldon

What pop-up dialogue boxes? I don't remember they have pop up during combat?

Like when someone completes a quest or talks to a quest NPC or somehow or another triggers something while you happen to be in combat. You get a dialogue box that appears in the lower middle of the screen but can block out quite a bit of what is happening around your character. I wish they had made all dialogue boxes like the ones you get when you kill a monster-of-interest for the first time or when you pick up a book. It would have been so much nicer to have something appear in the lower bit of the screen that you can choose to click on if you want to listen to it.

Getting to your other post, I disagree with you about MMORPGs fundamentally. It is alright if there are one or two that are streamlined and don't require much time to play, but I think that the older ones were better in part because they were involved and required time to play. If a gameworld is great, you can get completely immersed in it much like in a good book, but what is even better about MMORPGs is that you can be immersed for much longer, years if it is great. I like many elements in new MMORPGs, don't get me wrong, but I find that the ones I have played most recently are very poor for longetivity. I spent many months, even years, in the first MMORPGs whereas now I am surprised if I spend more than two months in a recent MMORPG. I go back to the old ones too and still last longer in them than in more recent ones. This is a problem because costs have shot up on making MMIORPGs. I wonder if in the near future investors will decide not to put their money in MMORPGs because they are too risky.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I won't mention this again here.

To get back to the thread subject, I do not think that Diablo 3 will be dying anytime soon. So many people say that Blizzard has lost its mojo, I am not convinced of that just yet. I do hope that their Titan project will be a new IP though because so far they have made their company career on three IPs and I think they need something new. That does not mean they should let Diablo flounder. I think there is still much to be done with the demons vs. angels theme.

• mrkujomrkujo Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Sigh...

Wall of text

This is one of the smartest things I've read here in a while. Absolutely agree with everything said. Unfortunately most people will just ignore your post and continue to grow in their ignorance.

It's been a while now, since the players became the problem, not companies.

Getting to your other post, I disagree with you about MMORPGs fundamentally. It is alright if there are one or two that are streamlined and don't require much time to play, but I think that the older ones were better in part because they were involved and required time to play. If a gameworld is great, you can get completely immersed in it much like in a good book, but what is even better about MMORPGs is that you can be immersed for much longer, years if it is great. I like many elements in new MMORPGs, don't get me wrong, but I find that the ones I have played most recently are very poor for longetivity. I spent many months, even years, in the first MMORPGs whereas now I am surprised if I spend more than two months in a recent MMORPG. I go back to the old ones too and still last longer in them than in more recent ones. This is a problem because costs have shot up on making MMIORPGs. I wonder if in the near future investors will decide not to put their money in MMORPGs because they are too risky.

It is just a difference in preference. Years? I don't want to "waste" my time playing the same game for years, particularly when most of the content is repeated again and again. Longevity is not required to be fun, and certainly i don't need it, when there are so many new games to move onto.

Even D3, a game that i considered much better than any MMO, last me only about a little over a year when i took an hiatus waiting for the expansion.

To get back to the thread subject, I do not think that Diablo 3 will be dying anytime soon. So many people say that Blizzard has lost its mojo, I am not convinced of that just yet. I do hope that their Titan project will be a new IP though because so far they have made their company career on three IPs and I think they need something new. That does not mean they should let Diablo flounder. I think there is still much to be done with the demons vs. angels theme.

I think Blizz has scrapped Titan, and hopefully they will do something new as opposed to the same-old same-old MMORPG.

But i agree D3 is definitely not dying. RoS will sell millions. They do rely on very few IPs. It would be great if they do a sci-fi ARPG, or a completely new game type (for them)  like a shooter.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I was fooled to buy RoS , since it sounds like they fix what I hated about D3.

Gear dropping for char that you can use - I never wear items from drops, since they are all shit. This should be fixed in RoS.

I hate the console simplification where they removed stats and talent points due to braindead console players. Now we at least gets a little customization with paragon points.

Adventure mode and the other end game stuff sounds ok too.

Sounds like it should have been like that @ release. But oh well, game sounds awesome now plus I only paid 23 euro for it so... no biggie.

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Sounds like it should have been like that @ release. But oh well, game sounds awesome now plus I only paid 23 euro for it so... no biggie.

D2 wasn't the classic it was until the expansion is out .. i expect the same for D3.

And i beat you on that .. i have already made back my money from the RMAH. In fact, i net enough to buy RoS with a bit of leftover money (which i probably will use on SC expansion and hearthstone).

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by sportsfan

The OP is wrong.

D3 will already be dead by late 2014, not 2015.

I think it is a good thing: the sooner Blizzard starts D4 with a complete NEW team, the better.

Hint: D4 NEEDS a Gold only AH, crafting, an open world and non liniair game play with random dungeons.

No one in his right mind will continue to play D3 for longer than 2 months. Not in RoS format.

No way.

Expect half of the RoS team to be fired by Dec 2014 too. Bobby Kotick will not be pleased.

Luckily for Blizzard they have Hearthstone or there would be a real bloodbath at Irvine.

D3 RoS = terrible game with a terrible team behind it. They have NO clue at all.

I am not sure.  RoS is fixing most of peoples complaints, while adding a few new ones.  Is it going to address the fact that it seems to be 70 then done?  Is new gear going to be that good to want to get more, and is the "grind of gear" going to be comparable to D2?  I'm personally looking forward to RoS.  It seems on the right path for the game.

This game won't be dead in a few years, they originally had two expansions planned, maybe they decided one was enough before they role out D4 with a new wave of complaints and total crap in 6 years.

I won't get into the hacked gear or maphack of D2 either.  I love D2 for all its worth, its just finally ended up in the back burner of games to play.

Originally posted by kilun

I am not sure.  RoS is fixing most of peoples complaints, while adding a few new ones.  Is it going to address the fact that it seems to be 70 then done?  Is new gear going to be that good to want to get more, and is the "grind of gear" going to be comparable to D2?  I'm personally looking forward to RoS.  It seems on the right path for the game.

This game won't be dead in a few years, they originally had two expansions planned, maybe they decided one was enough before they role out D4 with a new wave of complaints and total crap in 6 years.

I won't get into the hacked gear or maphack of D2 either.  I love D2 for all its worth, its just finally ended up in the back burner of games to play.

Obviously we don't know the staying power before RoS is released but it looks like it definitely worth $40 to go through at least a few times.

I doubt anyone should complain a game that many have spend countless hours into. So what if it does not last 10 years like D2? I have already spent 700+ hours on D3 (and taking a hiatus waiting for RoS), that is the best value & fun I have got out of a game.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

His first link actually amended his post with the following:

EDIT: Now that this thread has made its rounds and the issues with loot have been addressed, I am happy to report that RoS is actually shaping up to be quite a good expansion. Since the latest hotfix I am now able to find loot at a reasonable pace of 1 Legendary per 60-90 minutes versus the 1 Legendary per 8 hours that I was experiencing before. I want to personally take the time to thank the Diablo III Development Team for addressing these concerns with drop rates and taking the time to look into my account and confirm that the drop rates I was experiencing were clearly never intended. Now thanks to these changes many many people are now happy with the way RoS is shaping up and the in game whispers I have gotten personally thanking me for making this thread fill me with joy.

My faith in RoS is restored, and I am fairly confident that it will be a highly successful expansion. ^.^

Originally posted by Aori
    I preordered RoS deluxe edition with the battle.net balance I made from D3.

I will do so soon ... i am still debating whether to get the delux or the standard edition. I have $100 in my battle.net balance (made totally in game) so i can afford both .. but i may want to save some money for SC2 expansions, and i am not sure if i want to spend the extra on the pet and transmorg stuff ... decision .. decision ....