Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MSI GT70

plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
So i bucked up huge and decided to buy myself an MSI laptop about a year ago. Yesterday it went up in flames....literally! The jack from my powersource to my computer started smoking and the smell was awful. I took it into the computer shop and buddy said it was a design flaw saw the laptop taking in more power than it could handle. I paid 2700 bucks for that???? Really?????? Wow....

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

If power delivery were the underlying problem, it's not likely that the laptop would have taken a year to die.  It's likely that the real problem was heat--though higher temperatures can make power circuitry not function as well.  Gaming laptops are fundamentally about putting too much heat into too little space.  And as time passes and dust builds up, heat dissipation diminishes, leaving the laptop ever more prone to overheating.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    It could also have been a short between the DC-in connector, the DC-in port, and the chassis. Especially if the port had become loose or partially broken.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Actually, upon reading it more carefully, that doesn't sound like laptop overheating.  That wouldn't make the jack outside the laptop overheat.  It could have been caused by physical damage to something, as Grunty said.  But it would be very strange for a laptop to ship with a power supply that can't handle it even when working properly.
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Them new L-ion batteries.....companies are making the film too thin.
  • plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Grunty
    It could also have been a short between the DC-in connector, the DC-in port, and the chassis. Especially if the port had become loose or partially broken.

You know what man, I think that very well may have been the problem. The guy tried soldering something on for a fix but to no avail. Hopefully it doesn't void my warranty (not sure what manufacturers warranty is on that).

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by plat0nic
    Originally posted by Grunty It could also have been a short between the DC-in connector, the DC-in port, and the chassis. Especially if the port had become loose or partially broken.
    You know what man, I think that very well may have been the problem. The guy tried soldering something on for a fix but to no avail. Hopefully it doesn't void my warranty (not sure what manufacturers warranty is on that).

If there was a soldering iron anywhere near the internal of the case, and you admit to it or it's extremely obvious, yeah - the warranty is done.

Most warranties only go out a year unless you pay extra for extended service. But it never hurts to call and check.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I'm waiting for a comment about how this could be tied to fast fourier transform and socl.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Grunty
    I'm waiting for a comment about how this could be tied to fast fourier transform and socl.

LOL Nice.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I doubt it had anything to do with MSIs design flaw. They have had a case of GPUs catching fire because they upped the voltage beyond what they could take, but that's not related to the GT70. Considering the location, I would have to say some power limiter failed. Like a transistor failing, or something wrong with your dwellings electrical wiring.

Dealing with MSI support is like dealing with any Taiwanese Company support, difficult.