Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: Landmark: The Sandbox MMO Begins Alpha TODAY

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by syriinx

I caved and bout the $60 pack.  Im sure Im not the only one today.

Im more curious about the process, they mentioned 20,000 people.  This is unheard of for an alpha.  And that number is probably going to increase a lot this weekend.

No, not that unusual, seems many people are willing to play for early or alpha access, here's the figures on RUST: 500,000

http://www.destructoid.com/rust-has-sold-over-500-000-copies-269279.phtml

Or perhaps Dayz, recently reported at 800,000

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dayz-alpha-approaches-whopping-800-000-sales-milestone/1100-6416946/

I think it's a bit different when your an indie dev on early access. Just rubs me the wrong way seeing the slippery  slope of big name publishers selling alpha and beta. I don't care about being one of the first people in and would rather wait for a finished, polished game.

The difference is that SoE is doing it at least partially for a different reason.  yes, they need (pretty sure its need, not want) the money hence the founders packs, but they also want the players involved in the shaping of the game.  Some of it may be PR, but some of it is certainly genuine as well.

I noticed you lumped alpha and beta together, but they are completely different.  Alpha is still a formative stage of the game.  Beta the ideas are in place, just being tuned/debugged.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Keg0413

So they really are getting people to pay to build their world and structures for them?  I am both impressed and appalled at the same time.

It's literally a better skinned Minecraft.  Unbelievable people paid hundreds of dollars to get in on this.

Hundreds? There were 3 packs - $20, $60 and $100. None of them 'hundreds'.  Both the $60 and $100 pack gave access to Alpha.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

So they really are getting people to pay to build their world and structures for them?  I am both impressed and appalled at the same time.

It's literally a better skinned Minecraft.  Unbelievable people paid hundreds of dollars to get in on this.

Why? Some people love their minecraft world, to put their creations in a game that will be around for 10+ years in quite an accomplishment especially if it has "built by" on it somewhere.  That alone appeals to many greatly.

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Anyone receive their email yet? I'm pretty excited about this. It's like fantasy rust with way more opportunity and a huge world. Should be fun even if it is only alpha.
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Originally posted by smokeybha

Does it matter which pack I buy? Will the $19.99 one work?

For Beta, yes. For Alpha, need to spend $100.

The $60 pack will get you into Alpha.

• XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129

You obviously haven't done any research into this game at all. Saying it's a better skinned mincraft is the understatement of the century.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Telil

Dayz 800 000? really? im playing it, theres around 40 servers ranging between 20 and 40 per server.

thats nowhere near 800 000 lol.

Must show how bad Dayz is if that many people have rbought it and already left.

Can someone please explain to me how the above post even exists?

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

WHAT RACES ARE ADDED IN LANDMARK ?? !!!!!!

anyone want to spill the beans ? it is only humans ? and kerran ? 

• Zumspeed68Zumspeed68 Member UncommonPosts: 4

*Wears out the F5 key* Must...Start....Downloading.....

• SIRKRASIRKRA Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Grimula

WHAT RACES ARE ADDED IN LANDMARK ?? !!!!!!

anyone want to spill the beans ? it is only humans ? and kerran ? 

Human only 99%

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by Grimula
    WHAT RACES ARE ADDED IN LANDMARK ?? !!!!!! anyone want to spill the beans ? it is only humans ? and kerran ? 

to start it will only be humans. they haven't decided wether or not other races will be included.

Originally posted by cesmode8

Why is landmark even on mmorpg.com.  Its hardly an mmo and hardly an rpg...if at all. 

In any case, finally an ALPHA launch of a game that is supposed to lead into the REAL mmo in EQN...Alpha, then how long until beta?  And then how long after that do we have to wait until the actual game of EQN releases?  Not going to see EQN for probably 1-2 years.  Give up all hope that we see it in 2014..if we are lucky 2015.

The more emphasis placed on EQ:L and how slowly its going, the less interested I am in EQN.

Beta will begin on or before the 31st of March, considering you only had to wait what... 5 months between the announcement of Landmark and access to a playable Alpha I think you are being a little bit melodramatic about timeframes. 

How long has it taken Archeage to be translated into English again?

Originally posted by severius

Looks interesting.  Too bad neither I nor my guild will be giving this a shot.

275 of us, while not the hundreds of thousands that Smedley is concerned about, isn't something to sneeze at, especially with a combined gaming experience of nearly 7000 years lol.  Oh well.  Have fun folks!  

At east until Smed stabs you in the back and tells you that you asked for it. :)

Oh boo hoo...now I'm really going to lose sleep tonight stressing out about how your guild won't be playing landmark. That was your point, right? To make us feel guilty for playing a game that you and your nothing to sneeze at guild won't.

• yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72

....and he KNOWS that 275 people wont be playing this HAHAHAH - wanna bet?

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Holyfleadip

Why is landmark even on mmorpg.com.  Its hardly an mmo and hardly an rpg...if at all. 

In any case, finally an ALPHA launch of a game that is supposed to lead into the REAL mmo in EQN...Alpha, then how long until beta?  And then how long after that do we have to wait until the actual game of EQN releases?  Not going to see EQN for probably 1-2 years.  Give up all hope that we see it in 2014..if we are lucky 2015.

The more emphasis placed on EQ:L and how slowly its going, the less interested I am in EQN.

I'm sad to say I agree.  I could care less about EQ:L and I don't see EQN release anytime soon.  I don't know if the other readers don't understand the difference between the two, or just possessed by stupidity, but EQN is the real MMO sandbox to wait for.  EQ:L is just a distracting money grab.  Keep it.

I guess trolls will be trolls. Don't let the proverbial door hit you. MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game... a sandbox game is the epitamy of what it means to be a MMORPG. You play your role among thousands of other people, where you can even make your own houses/dungeons/clothing/stories.

Games that do RTS, or MOBA, or FPS, and specially PvP centric games, are what should be considered non-MMORPG, since the original RPGs were not about killing your peers in your playgroup, but about creating and moving about a story while in character and affecting the game around you.

Now, whether this game will ultimately deliver, we will have to see, but it is definitely an MMORPG, in every single sense of the word.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Sephastus
    Originally posted by Holyfleadip

I'm sad to say I agree.  I could care less about EQ:L and I don't see EQN release anytime soon.  I don't know if the other readers don't understand the difference between the two, or just possessed by stupidity, but EQN is the real MMO sandbox to wait for.  EQ:L is just a distracting money grab.  Keep it.

I guess trolls will be trolls. Don't let the proverbial door hit you. MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game... a sandbox game is the epitamy of what it means to be a MMORPG. You play your role among thousands of other people, where you can even make your own houses/dungeons/clothing/stories.

Games that do RTS, or MOBA, or FPS, and specially PvP centric games, are what should be considered non-MMORPG, since the original RPGs were not about killing your peers in your playgroup, but about creating and moving about a story while in character and affecting the game around you.

Now, whether this game will ultimately deliver, we will have to see, but it is definitely an MMORPG, in every single sense of the word.

PVP centric games are not MMOs? really ?

Has/Had integral pvp.

Take a wild guess.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Ultima Online is/was: "Throughout the pre-release development of the game, a well-balanced, realistic economy and social structure was the goal. While not all of the features planned for incorporation made it into the first release, the developers did manage to give almost all of the control to the players in terms of what they could do to each other and the world as a whole"

This means that people were allowed to do what they wanted... which meant attacking each other was allowed... that doesn't mean that attacking each other was the REASON for the game, IOW, it was not PvP centric, but rather something that came about due to the ruleset established in the game. But anyways, not turning this thread into a back and fourth about what is/isn't pure MMORPG. I still stand behind what I said, that EQN qualifies as an MMORPG.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by evilastro

Hundreds? There were 3 packs - $20, $60 and $100. None of them 'hundreds'.  Both the $60 and $100 pack gave access to Alpha.

Even tho it's not hundreds of dollars it's a really hard sell for me to pay more for a less complete product.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I bought my 60 Dollar preorder in late December.

Got NO Email now, no download link!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

I bought my 60 Dollar preorder in late December.

Got NO Email now, no download link!

There is no download link. Alpha will be going live tonight and THEN you will get an email with a dl link.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I watched the video and some of the structures look very complex.  I have no experience with Minecraft and I know very little about architecture.  Do I have a chance in this game, or will I be living in a crooked box?  LOL...
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    I watched the video and some of the structures look very complex.  I have no experience with Minecraft and I know very little about architecture.  Do I have a chance in this game, or will I be living in a crooked box?  LOL...

They said that the tools are very easy to pick up but they have very in-depth uses. So, you'll be good to go.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Originally posted by Xanzo
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean

They said that the tools are very easy to pick up but they have very in-depth uses. So, you'll be good to go.

OK.  Looks kinda fun.  I wonder how easy it will be to socialize with others.

• NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197
    so...no pvp?

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent

• Furion-HunterFurion-Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Being a darkfall one player i know graphics doesnt mean a thing when it comes to gameplay... but i really aint feeling the graphics from this game.. It just dont feel right :(