Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Get Your Own Ship in Star Citizen in New Modding Competition

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Roberts Space Industries will be offering fans (with modding skills) a chance to win $30,000 and have their own starship design appear in Star Citizen.

'The Next Great Starship' is a new YouTube series set to begin on January 31 (6PM ET/3PM PT) 24 modding teams will have their creations judged by a panel of Star Citizen developers, including Chris Roberts himself. Judges will select finalists over the next few weeks (each show will air on Friday at the aforementioned time) and narrow things down to 15 finalists, with the fan community given an opportunity to vote one team into the final 16.

Work-in-progress videos will be judged by the panel in each show after this point and modding teams will face elimination over the course of the series, leading up to the finale on June 7. Of course, judges can save teams from being eliminated and the fan community will also be able to vote on teams that should stick around or be eliminated.

While $30,000 and having your own ship may be the grand prize, there are a numerous other prizes up for grabs, including:

• GRAND PRIZE: $30,000 in cash for the team members. Your Great Starship is included in Star Citizen and each member of your team receives the first production models off the press!  As well as Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite, Maya Premium and one high-end AMD based system with Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)

• SECOND PLACE: $10,000 in cash for the team members. Alienware laptop, Autodesk Maya 2014, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)

• THIRD PLACE: $5,000 in cash for the team members. Autodesk Maya LT, AMD Radeon R9 290X (for each team member)

• SPECIALTY PRIZE: (to the most valuable player out of the remaining contestants among the final three teams voted on by the judging panel): One Cintiq Companion, the new Windows 8 “Make the World your Studio” tablet from Wacom

• FINALIST TEAMS 4 THROUGH 16: $250 in RSI Credits (non-transferable/non-refundable)

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

"Roberts Space Industries will be offering fans (with modding skills) a chance to win $30,000 and have their own starship design appear in Star Citizen"

Wait what? I thought he was initially begging for money now hes having prize pools with cash?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I just don't understand how people will be able to mod this game its not even out yet where are the tools? Yeah bringing up extra money when the game needs it to launch very bad idea maybe after the game is out??
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by Nitth

Wait what? I thought he was initially begging for money now hes having prize pools with cash?

Yeah, that was only "initially" though. He got the minimum 2 million he needed and the rest is just giving him the ability to obtain more deverlopers/whatever to add more features to the game at launch.

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by ohgodtherats707
    I just don't understand how people will be able to mod this game its not even out yet where are the tools? Yeah bringing up extra money when the game needs it to launch very bad idea maybe after the game is out??

Because it's built on Cryengine 3. The editor is already out there and can import models from modeling software. The other mod tools that are SC specific will come later.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    I still don't think its ethical for a crowd funded game to "give away" money. 

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

It's prize money to whoever in the crowd can design the coolest ship for the game.

Crowd funding is paying for crowd development.

Sounds okay to me.

• SophusVirSophusVir Member Posts: 44
    Yep, the money people put in is going back out to help people attain fame and acknowledgement of their skills. This might even launch some new designers career.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Sounds good to me... might give it a go myself.. tho I am not exactly the best 3d modeller in the world hehe
  • screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127

How is it giving away money? It's more like 24 subcontractors bidding for a contract. It costs anywhere from $30k to $100k to design one of these ships for Star Citizen. CIG thought, why don't we just pay the community how much it would cost us to make it, and in turn, it involves everyone. They get more content to keep the community happy, while highlighting the unutilized talent pool that is frothing at the mouth to make something for this game. 

It's genius, if you ask me.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

The Next great starship event will give CIG a look into the player base for those players who have a knack for ship design and modding early and possibly even a chance at a future career in the gaming industry.

I understand the comments about it being a crowd funding game that is giving away money but as it sit the game is pretty much funded to this point and beyond. I dont see a problem with them giving the players a chance to make themselves heard as Imperium Gaming has allowed players to do just that since the beginning.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery