Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone play Mortal Online?

Comments

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Anubisan
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Same points you've been making over and over again for ages on this forum...

Not relevant to the current state of the game. It's clear you have not played in a very long time.

1. The devs patch frequently and have fixed most of the major game-breaking bugs. They've also completely overhauled the graphics and have created newbie-helpful content like a tutorial and starting skills for most professions.

2. The game may still not be making a profit, but what does that matter? The game is gaining in popularity no matter how much you want it to fail. If the keep up the current trend of steady improvements, the game WILL start making money.

3. The community manager stopped posting here because this site is absolutely filled with trolls who are here for no purpose other than to bash on a game they don't even play (but want to fail with a passion). Even though they were professional and courteous to the most vicious trolls, I can't blame them at all for deciding they needed to stop posting here. I've had those moments myself, thanks to this wonderful community at MMORPG.

4. Players are not required to donate anything, yet many of them do because they love the game and want it to succeed. If the game was truly so terrible, why do so many people donate? Many have donated thousands of dollars.

5. The population is quite healthy these days. I think you are very, very off on your assumption of subscription numbers. But keep telling yourself whatever you want...

1) I cannot confirm nor deny this point- I have not played in a long time. When I last played it was broken, buggy and had graphical glitches like crazy. That was probably 9 months to a year ago but not recently...

2) This game has always been "on the cusp" of making a profit. The Stockholder reports are posted and each and every time henrik and co. state they are "close" and it should be soon now that X feature/ expansion,donation goal/whatever is out.

3) balance in all things. The Forum over there was so heavily censored that posts and whole threads were disappearing daily even when not in violation of any rule- merely for pointing out facts or being critical. THAT is the reason all this started here to begin with IMHO. MO Forums were (at one time) the most heavily censored forums I have ever posted on. Is it still like that? Not sure... 

Also "troll" is beginning to mean "someone who disagrees"- The CM who posted here was called out in lies using his own words and then stopped posting. The threads are here, I do not remember exactly what happened but I was there during that time. Yes, there are trolls (I trolled heavily in this sub forum at one time because it was fun and funny) but there is more truth here than what I have seen over there. Also MO makes a VERY EASY TARGET for a million reasons that are too long to list.

4) This is true, but for a publicly traded and for profit corporation to be asking for donations was in very bad taste regardless- That said, MO has been so surpassed in the "bad taste dept." by a thousand kickstarters which further prove that the human race is both stupid, easily manipulated and doomed.... More power to MO on this point

5) People have come here and said this since the start. Population has always been very healthy (bordering on booming at times) if you believe a few hundred posts from different people who have posted here. You MAY be right, but we have been told this from the start and our experience has shown this was all bullshit.

Fool me once shame on you...Fool me twice, shame on me.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Much of what you say was true about the game at one point, but things have changed. The game has done nothing but steadily improve over time. People joke on this forum about flying horses as though that is something currently happening... It just goes to show how outdated peoples' perceptions of the current state of the game really are. That was fixed almost a year ago. As have most other major bugs.

In my three years of playing MO, I have had only one post EVER be deleted or locked from the official forum. That post was concerning the fake Anonymous video that was released about two months ago. Every other thread I've been involved in, no matter how negative or critical of SV, has been allowed to stay live. I don't know what threads you're referring to being deleted, but they must have stepped pretty far over the line.

As for the donations... I can certainly say that any AAA game developer should not ask for them. But a super small indie dev team? Why not? They have very limited resources, but they do have a very passionate fan following that is willing to help the game grow however they can. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. If players want to dig deep in their own pockets to help a small indie game succeed, that should be celebrated, not denounced.

The population really has improved. All I can say is go check the game out again and you will see that I am right. I have never seen MO more active than it is right now.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

5. The population is quite healthy these days. I think you are very, very off on your assumption of subscription numbers. But keep telling yourself whatever you want...

LOL 

I believe in FACTS but you can "keep telling yourself whatever you want..."

According to the latest financial report:

Sales for the three month period - roughly 80,000

Divided by three = 26,666 per month in sales

Take the monthly sales divided by a monthly sub fee = 26,666 divided by $15 = 1778 total monthly subscribers

This also assumes no donations are recorded in those sales numbers which we know to be false.  This means the game has LESS than 1778 total monthly subscribers.

Sorry mate, the facts say you are wrong but you can keep telling yourself that you are right if it helps you sleep at night. 

For anyone new to the game or its story, this was exactly why the community manager left the forums here.  He posted STUFF and the people on this forum posted FACTS. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Here is StarVault's stock over the past year. As you can see, despite a slight dip going on right now, it has been trending up rather dramatically in recent months.

Are they making money yet? I don't know, but it certainly looks to me like they're heading in the right direction. Then again, I'm not actively rooting for them to fail like certain other people.

When I get home later, I will take some videos around Tindrem and other places in game to show the community here how active the game actually is.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

You should be in Marketing with all your re-direction and fuzzy information.

1. You did not address your previous statement that I made up sub numbers when I clearly showed it was you making things up.

2. In a previous post you said losing money every quarter did not mean anything but now suddenly you are clinging onto stock information.  No one said the price of the stock had not started rising as a result of the greenlight news on steam.  You act like this means anything about the quality of the game.  The rise in price is purely based on poorly informed investors thinking that being on steam is going to magically bring in thousands of subs.  Will the sales rise once it gets listed on steam?  YEP.  There is no denying more people will try it and some will buy.  Will those people stay and continue playing in six months?  That is the question...

3. Video of people in the game does not really mean anything when almost all of them are free players.  The FACTS clearly show there is less than 1788 subbers in this game.  Can there be 100k people actually playing the game?  YEP.  Would that also mean that 98,222 people think the game is fun enough to jump in from time to time but NOT worth a sub fee?  YEP.

Six to 10 months after the game is listed on steam will tell the tale.  If the game is not fun enough for people after being listed on steam, there is no where else for the game to go.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

You should be in Marketing with all your re-direction and fuzzy information.

1. You did not address your previous statement that I made up sub numbers when I clearly showed it was you making things up.

2. In a previous post you said losing money every quarter did not mean anything but now suddenly you are clinging onto stock information.  No one said the price of the stock had not started rising as a result of the greenlight news on steam.  You act like this means anything about the quality of the game.  The rise in price is purely based on poorly informed investors thinking that being on steam is going to magically bring in thousands of subs.  Will the sales rise once it gets listed on steam?  YEP.  There is no denying more people will try it and some will buy.  Will those people stay and continue playing in six months?  That is the question...

3. Video of people in the game does not really mean anything when almost all of them are free players.  The FACTS clearly show there is less than 1788 subbers in this game.  Can there be 100k people actually playing the game?  YEP.  Would that also mean that 98,222 people think the game is fun enough to jump in from time to time but NOT worth a sub fee?  YEP.

Six to 10 months after the game is listed on steam will tell the tale.  If the game is not fun enough for people after being listed on steam, there is no where else for the game to go.

1. I have made nothing up. I have said the game has a healthy population, which it does. Many of these people are F2P, I've never denied that. Regardless, there are tons of large scale battles happening every day. I can attest to this personally as I am in most of them.

2. The only reason I bring up this stock information is because you brought it up. You also took a jab at me for not "providing facts", so I did so. Sorry you apparently didn't like what you saw. As you said before, facts are facts... and the fact is SV's stock outlook is trending up.

3. Video showing an active game with lots of people playing does prove the only point I've made. I have said that the game is very active right now, and that is true. Lots and lots of F2P players often results in increased subs over the long-term. My guild has seen a huge increase in P2P recruits (we only accept them) recently, so it would SEEM that SV is doing something right.

You are correct that only the result of the Steam release will tell the whole story. Unfortunately I get the impression you've already made up your mind about the game, regardless of what happens.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

What direction is this stock going? 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

The sandbox direction, you make your own conclusions!

Experiencing a dip at the moment (like I said - also normal for stocks), but still up significantly from 6 months ago. You cannot credibly deny that no matter how much you massage the data or how selectively you take your screenshots.

Incidentally, the stock is up (so far) today.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Does this game still show the penis and the vagina on the characters or did they remove it?
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Does this game still show the penis and the vagina on the characters or did they remove it?

It still does if you have nudity enabled. It is fortunately disabled by default now, though. :)

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Experiencing a dip at the moment (like I said - also normal for stocks), but still up significantly from 6 months ago. You cannot credibly deny that no matter how much you massage the data or how selectively you take your screenshots.

Incidentally, the stock is up (so far) today.

What?  Who's massaging data?  That's a 3 month snapshot!  Heck, if I wanted to try and make it look bad I would have just linked the last month's performance.  Go take a look at that one.

Speaking of which.  Yes you point out the stock is up today.  What you leave out (some might say massaging the data) was that only 282 shares valued at $24.53 exchanged hands all day.  Yes, the market is booming...  much demand.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    I logged into the game for the first time in a while today, and I must say I've NEVER seen the game as crowded as now. I logged into 4 different cities with my characters, and I saw peeps all over the place. I was expecting the game to lag out, but it ran smooth with the highest settings turned on. I was amazed. SV sure are doing something right atm. And I rly look forward to see how the enviroment will look like with the new engine upgrade etc.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

LOL 

Take the monthly sales divided by a monthly sub fee = 26,666 divided by $15 = 1778 total monthly subscribers

This also assumes no donations are recorded in those sales numbers which we know to be false.  This means the game has LESS than 1778 total monthly subscribers.

Sorry mate, the facts say you are wrong but you can keep telling yourself that you are right if it helps you sleep at night. 

For anyone new to the game or its story, this was exactly why the community manager left the forums here.  He posted STUFF and the people on this forum posted FACTS. 

I want an indie sandbox virtual world that doesn't cater to the masses!

Ok, here's indie game X with almost a carbon copy of Ultima Online game mechanics, 2k subs, howevermany F2P accounts, single server, and a healthy population.

• Bah, it has 2001 gfx!
    • The devs are amatuers!
    • It's FFA! Fail!
    • Who cares if the ingame population is healthy and active? It only has 1.7k subscribers!
    You can apply that to almost every indie game that comes out. I think you guys like the idea of an indie sandbox MMO far more than you actually want to play one. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

LOL 

I want an indie sandbox virtual world that doesn't cater to the masses!

Ok, here's indie game X with almost a carbon copy of Ultima Online game mechanics, 2k subs, howevermany F2P accounts, single server, and a healthy population.

• Bah, it has 2001 gfx!
    • The devs are amatuers!
    • It's FFA! Fail!
    • Who cares if the ingame population is healthy and active? It only has 1.7k subscribers!
    You can apply that to almost every indie game that comes out. I think you guys like the idea of an indie sandbox MMO far more than you actually want to play one. 

You make it sound like MO is some dream deal come true and we're just in denial. In contrast to you, some people have certain standards for their games (going on what you have said yourself, since you're more forgiving than average gamers). The devs ARE amateurs, and if you been there from the beta, you would have experienced it yourself and been affected by it, it still shines through time to time, but then again, you're more forgiving than the most.

Yes, I want a cool sandbox game, even tho I personally couldn't care less whether it's indie or not. But I want a good game, I'm not that desperate that I'd jump the first title to come along. I want a game where I'd be challenged by the game's world, not its overly complicated mechanics. For some reason, almost every indie developer invests in making the basic mechanics as complex as possible, without any real need for it. MO crafting is a prime example of it. Breadth first, guys! I'd rather have five basic features than one overly complex.

FFA.. I am a bit split on that one. On one hand, it is cool that no gear is safe and you can loot your opponents. On other hand it is a giant waste of time and a timesink where you have to farm between every battle or gank others for gear. It goes hand in hand with the overlaying design of MO which results in a ridiculous world where people will kill you just because they can. That's the main reason I personally moved away from such games, which are a giant PvP arena rather than a sandbox. I want to focus on meaningful PvP and PvE, not avoid every single player as they're likely to cut me down.

MO is not hard, it is simply annoying. Its supposed difficulty is artificial, arising not from player skill as it should, but from clunky and buggy mechanics, as well as poorly designed gameplay. It's like someone chained you to a steel ball and asked you to run a marathon, instead of putting out a challenging obstacle course that would truly test your skill. And I won't even mention the UI.. That alone is a major handicap.

However, the above (except for the last paragraph) is purely subjective. I realize that many may be just looking for the kind of complex PvP game that MO is. But don't try to pass it off as a good sandbox and then wonder why nobody wants to play it despite wishing for said sandbox. 

Personally, I think UO mechanics should stop trying to make a comeback, despite the vocal minority nobody really has time to invest in such a game anymore except for said vocal minority. IF such a game would despite all release, it would have to be really well designed to pull off the kind of player engagement that UO had, where players were investing time into just being book makers, or crafters. That last part kinda backfired in MO where players prefer just having an alt account with their own crafters since nobody really invests time into crafting in such a PvP focused game. They tried bringing too many player archetypes together, while having content mainly for PvPers.

MO isn't really alone in this issue tho, almost every indie sandbox thinks that making the mechanics as complex and annoying as possible is the path to a successful sandbox game. God damn it, just make a fun game with no artificial restrictions such as factions or instances, and you're on your good way, no need to make every feature a timesink.

But, there are few upcoming titles that seems to have grasped that complex mechanics don't make a good sandbox by default. I have hopes for both The Repopulation, EQ Next and Archeage. Embers of Caerus on other hand is a perfect example how not to do a sandbox.

It really does come down to personal preference. For me and many others, MO is the only game currently on the market that offers what we're looking for in an MMO. And yes, I played and loved UO for many years, so it shouldn't be surprising that I enjoy the many similarities to that game. I DO think these old-school mechanics should make a comeback, because all of the games I've played that haven't used them have felt shallow and meaningless to me. I'm sure I'm not alone on that...

I think most people interested in a game like Mortal are looking for something similar to UO, with all the sandbox features and an old-school hardcore PVP ruleset with full loot. Since there are virtually no other games out there like this (including Darkfall), we tend to be a bit more forgiving of the bugs and other deficiencies that come with indie MMOs. I personally am  not bothered about the rough edges. As long as the game is fun (and it is in my opinion), It just isn't a big deal to me.

I will continue to support and promote the game as long as it remains the only game in town that caters to my playstyle.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    agree, i think the truth is we were spoilt with UO, those who played it back during TSA will have fond memories of that game and it offered so much. So much freedom and so many ways to play, the first truly virtual world. After uo i played SWG and i didnt appreciate it after coming from UO, it felt like a step down. But looking back now SWG was a damn fine game compared to modern mmos..

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Tyserie
    I hope you know that MO is only PvP. You will be all the time killed and robbed and your house possibly destroyed. That's also all you can do there, pvp. For me MO is one example how to ruin amazing idea, thats all.

LOL dont listen to this person. The fact that its an open world full loot pvp game makes MO stand up above the rest. Any mmo without it is pretty boring well to me anyway.

Yes it is a game based around pvp but that is not the only thing to do.. Not everyone is out to kill you, but you do have to realise that they can :)

If you do play your best bet is to join a noob friendly clan to help you get into the game. if you can get past the few bugs here and there the game is actually pretty good.. Wells thats if you like games that are open world full loot pvp based games.

Originally posted by Caldrin
    I hope you know that MO is only PvP. You will be all the time killed and robbed and your house possibly destroyed. That's also all you can do there, pvp. For me MO is one example how to ruin amazing idea, thats all.

Yes it is a game based around pvp but that is not the only thing to do.. Not everyone is out to kill you, but you do have to realise that they can :)

Yeah, there's also the joyful farming to engage in the downtime between PvP.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

sounds amazing, downloading right now. thnx

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

I dont care what everyone say. MO is a great game.

I see ppl jumping from indie game forums to indie game forum and saying how bad MO is and how this indie game will do better. Turnsout, this same indie game ends up becoming free or canceled or vapored. Its always like that. Then, those same complainers come in here complaining about mo`s bugs, old gfx, combat and everything else when they patch often to eventually get to where MO will one day be the perfect game.

All you guys actually dont want an indie game to rise up, you want a AAA head developer to make an hardcore game when you all know damn well that it will never happen.

So with all that being said, MO is all we have left. dF is not a sandbox anymore and eve is a space game. You chose. 

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by deathshroud
    agree, i think the truth is we were spoilt with UO, those who played it back during TSA will have fond memories of that game and it offered so much. So much freedom and so many ways to play, the first truly virtual world. After uo i played SWG and i didnt appreciate it after coming from UO, it felt like a step down. But looking back now SWG was a damn fine game compared to modern mmos..

Its much easier to develop a 2 game no matter what genre it is. Im no saying i can do better, its just a known fact. In uo, you can drop any items on the grounds, but you cant do that in mo nor in any other 3d mmorpg. This alone makes uo better than every mmos.

Now you see how unfair it is to compare a 2d mmo to a 3d mmo. If were talking korean mmos, nothing beats ragnarok online and its an other 2d mmo.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

DF is not a sandbox anymore and eve is a space game. You chose. 

Outta curiosity, what makes DF not a sandbox, compared to MO?

Originally posted by Realbigdeal
    In uo, you can drop any items on the grounds, but you cant do that in mo nor in any other 3d mmorpg. This alone makes uo better than every mmos.

Yes you can, I've been playing plenty of 3D MMOs where you could drop items, and many still feature various item dropping like special vanity items. Modern computers can easily handle 3D item dropping, the reason that feature went away is because it is pointless and makes the game world look like a junkyard. 

And really, your argument for how unfair it is to compare 2D game with tile target to free 3D target is an item dropping feature?..

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Quick question to the active MO players here: Are horses sometimes still flying in the air and vendors sometimes stuck in their shops so you can only see their heads growing out of the floor or is this eventually fixed? These where things that to me destroyed the whole buty of this game while no one actually seemed to take these bugs all too seriously. Too many fan boys there...
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by picommander
    Quick question to the active MO players here: Are horses sometimes still flying in the air and vendors sometimes stuck in their shops so you can only see their heads growing out of the floor or is this eventually fixed? These where things that to me destroyed the whole buty of this game while no one actually seemed to take these bugs all too seriously. Too many fan boys there...

I think both those things I are fixed. I haven't seen it ingame either. But I'm pretty certain I read somewhere that they fixed it. But why not login and have a look for yourself. It's still free to login and see.