Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: Richard Garriott and Brad McQuaid Team-Up

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Visionary Realms' Brad McQuaid and Portalarium's Richard Garriott are announcing a collaboration between their two crowdfunded MMO projects in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen and Shroud of the Avatar, respectively.

Cross-game pledge tiers will reward those who back both projects with a cloak in both games. Backers of both projects will receive a cloak in Pantheon featuring Lord British's Coat of Arms (the Shroud of the Avatar symbol) and a cloak in Shroud of the Avatar with the Pantheon symbol.

“The opportunity to work with Portalarium is extremely exciting, not just in terms of what we can do together with our games, but also on a very personal level,” said Brad McQuaid, Chief Creative Officer of Visionary Realms, Inc. “Lord British has been a hero of mine since I was a teen, and ultimately was responsible for inspiring me into the video game industry. Lord British and Portalarium continue to be an inspiration with ‘Shroud of the Avatar.’ It’s a perfect example of how the core elements of games from years past can continue to influence and innovate in today’s industry.”

Richard ‘Lord British’ Garriott, Portalarium’s Co-Founder and CEO, added: “There is no doubt that Brad McQuaid led EverQuestto become the standard bearer against which all other MMOs would be compared, and most have been patterned. Just as I hope fans are excited about the return of the King of Britannia in Shroud of the Avatar, I have no doubt that Brad McQuaid will leadPantheon to fulfill and expand the vision he began in the earliest days of the MMO era, and grow it into the future. I for one, look forward to what I will again learn from his leadership in gaming.”

McQuaid continued to say that "the evolution of how MMOs are made is happening right now. We're getting back to having the gaming community deeply involved in how the games are not only funded, but designed. A collaboration like this one only makes sense to further strengthen that growing community that involves not just the players and backers, but the developers as well."

Those interested can back Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen via Kickstarter and Shroud of the Avatar via the game's official website.

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Very, Very interesting. Both of these guys are working on exciting projects. For them to now work together after all of these years is quite amazing. I remember the days of playing UO and first heard about EQ. They were in direct competition. Now they must unite to fight against the evil clones! The clone war at last.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Brad to Lord British: "People are being mean to me, not funding my KS and teasing me about the mess I made with Vanguard. Can you help me?"

Lord British to Brad: "Rest easy, my child. I am the father of MMORPGs. I have seen the stars. I have defeated the mighty NCSoft. I will give you some credibility"

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Quote: Made me laugh... nice work Vonatar

"Brad to Lord British: "People are being mean to me, not funding my KS and teasing me about the mess I made with Vanguard. Can you help me?"

Lord British to Brad: "Rest easy, my child. I am the father of MMORPGs. I have seen the stars. I have defeated the mighty NCSoft. I will give you some credibility""

Internet beggars unite! Finally something new.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Kicktraq is showing the project trending  75% of  800,00 goal

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/

EDIT -- TREND not prediction

• BRacilaBRacila Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Don't always follow kicktraq. It's wrong a lot of the times. Ask the Pathfinder Online guys, they were trending worse than Pantheon was and ended up funding.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    For some reason this seems shady. It's like multi-title cash shop. Now not only do you have to pay one company for an in game item, you have to pay two. It would be like Blizzard and SoE teaming up to say if you sub to both EQ2 and WoW you will get a special pet in each game.

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    For some reason this seems shady. It's like multi-title cash shop. Now not only do you have to pay one company for an in game item, you have to pay two.
    It would be like Blizzard and SoE teaming up to say if you sub to both EQ2 and WoW you will get a special pet in each game.

give em time image

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4011152/blizzard-and-sony-announce-strategic-partnership

"Many of you are probably wondering why an old-school PC game developer is crashing the Sony party tonight," said Blizzard's Chris Metzen on the Sony stage, explaining that the company now has a "strategic partnership" with Sony to "take over the world."

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    For some reason this seems shady. It's like multi-title cash shop. Now not only do you have to pay one company for an in game item, you have to pay two. It would be like Blizzard and SoE teaming up to say if you sub to both EQ2 and WoW you will get a special pet in each game.

This coming from a person pre-ordering TESO, the sub based game offering up a race and the ability to get around race/faction locks to only some of the people that buy the game. That is shady because it opens the door to sub games placing all kinds of content up only to those that pay more than a subscription.

Its P2P with F2P priced content.

What these two companies are doing however is offering an extra item to those that happen to like both projects.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Originally posted by Nadia

give em time image

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4011152/blizzard-and-sony-announce-strategic-partnership

"Many of you are probably wondering why an old-school PC game developer is crashing the Sony party tonight," said Blizzard's Chris Metzen on the Sony stage, explaining that the company now has a "strategic partnership" with Sony to "take over the world."

So how is making Blizzard games a Sony PS3/PS4 console exclusive remotely tied to what is going on here?

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Well Brad finally admitted to his own faults with VG in his most recent youtube interview. Only took 7 years but better late then never. I hope this project succeeds but the risk is to great to actually support in my opinion.
    Originally posted by JJ82

So how is making Blizzard games a Sony PS3/PS4 console exclusive remotely tied to what is going on here?

it's not - i was kidding around implying a SOE connection

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by JJ82

it's not - i was kidding around implying a SOE connection

then allow me to teach you the universal sign of "sarcasm and humor" :p or ;) or j/k or /sarcasm

:p

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Even if this ks doesn't fund, I'm confident they'll find alternative funding (which they would do anyway even if they are successful) and someday before 2019 i will be playing this, sota, and pathfinder.
    Originally posted by finnmacool1
    another day, another stream of propaganda for a game that wont see the light of day. Please wipe brads jizz off your chin, its distracting.

If Matt Firor can not only convince a major company to not only make a famous IP into DaoC 2, but also get around 200 million from them to do it, anything is possible and thus not propaganda.

McQuaid at least has more than one MMO under his belt including EQ, the thing most MMOs today are based off of, Firor however road the coattails of Mark Jacobs on DaoC, he has no experience actually creating an MMO, so toss your propaganda at the game that is overrun with it.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

Them teaming up?!

Isn't this like the seventh sign?

Make peace with your God now!!!!!!! It's all over!!!!!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I am backing SOTA too for $130 so I didn't say the shadiness bothered me lol. I don't have any plans to back Pantheon though. Waiting to see if SOTA works out before I back another indie MMO.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Oh God.  McQuaid and Garriott teaming up.  How much ego can you fit into one room?  
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Interesting

I would have thought that those games are in direct competition since they are both Old School and  PvE focused

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Sigh once again Garriot loses focus on his game and goes off onto a new project. Guy has to be the most selfish self-centered ass in the industry. 
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by BRacila
    Don't always follow kicktraq. It's wrong a lot of the times. Ask the Pathfinder Online guys, they were trending worse than Pantheon was and ended up funding.

However many of us that have been high dollar supporters on kickstarter are starting to come to our senses and realize 99% of these kickstarter projects are just criminals stealing our money legally. Most of them do not have the skills, desire, or intent to ever create the games they promise and are just making just enough of a basic attempt to keep criminal charges from being filed. 

Took me 4 years and a lot of money, but I have learned NEVER give a single dollar to crowdfunding.

If these Indie studios have a good game and are above board they can get traditional funding just like every developer that came before them. 

Crowdfunding may have had good intention when it was conceived however now it has become nothing but conmen and criminals.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by psiic

However many of us that have been high dollar supporters on kickstarter are starting to come to our senses and realize 99% of these kickstarter projects are just criminals stealing our money legally. Most of them do not have the skills, desire, or intent to ever create the games they promise and are just making just enough of a basic attempt to keep criminal charges from being filed. 

Took me 4 years and a lot of money, but I have learned NEVER give a single dollar to crowdfunding.

If these Indie studios have a good game and are above board they can get traditional funding just like every developer that came before them. 

Crowdfunding may have had good intention when it was conceived however now it has become nothing but conmen and criminals.

You may not like and or trust the people in charge of the project but the stuff you are saying is pretty slanderous.  99% huh?  That is just hyperbole at its worst.  I didn't realize that Pathfinder was a fake game that was designed to steal money from investors.... Anyways, both of these people have been involved in companies that have released games. Its not just some random guy coming out of no where to look for funding.  The cross game stuff is a little bit of fun, the same person who funds one is very likely to be interested in the other.  They are going after a similar audience to begin with. 

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Sigh once again Garriot loses focus on his game and goes off onto a new project. Guy has to be the most selfish self-centered ass in the industry. 

Yep, getting someone to model that cloak is probably going to distract him for months!

With Garriott there are some issues worthy of complaint.  This is not really one of them.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Congratulations! 

Your hyperbole has entered the Stratosphere!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Not all who wander are lost...

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Unification of the has beens.