Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rust...Its my new Darkfall

2»

Comments

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418
    Originally posted by Ikox
    Originally posted by ilives
    Originally posted by -Zeno-
    Rusts graphics are terrible and look like they are 10 years old.  Darkfall looks much better and has a ton more depth to it.

I'll take game play over graphics any day.

Rust = ALPHA

Darkfall = in development for 13 years.

Not to mention so many people dropped that game since they couldn't get rid of the AA users, completely ruined the game.

AA users?

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Pretty sure the exact same could be said of Minecraft, and it seems to be doing well.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Comparing Rust to Darkfall shows just how out of touch and clueless people are when it comes to the tech behind both games. Apples & Oranges people.

It also shows how angry some players are with DF because they can no longer grief/hack/ or exploit their way to the top of the food chain. Here comes Rust in alpha stage, where there are far way more ways to grief/hack/ and exploit than other games that are more polished. But the devs are working hard on patching up as many exploits as possible, and when the sweeping changes come to the gameplay in Rust, you will see the same vocal minority come to these forums and whine about how Rust changed and no longer cares about its players just because they finally fixed the major problems with the game.

Now I understand why some players are upset that what was promised was NOT delivered, and they have EVERY right to be upset, but the overall game is NOT as bad as the vocal minority make it out to be. Just get over it already, it is NOT DFO, and it will never be.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Rust similar to DF? I guess they both have full loot, harvesting, and crafting but other then that I don't see the similarities. Rust's PvP is basically Counter Strike with health packs and baricades and doesn't have near as high of skill ceiling as either DFO or DFUW.

Don't get me wrong though I love Rust, it's a great game, but I'm not really seeing the comparison.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Pretty sure the exact same could be said of Minecraft, and it seems to be doing well.

It can. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it will be popular with everyone. Minecraft has also updated PvE and other RPG aspects ALOT since lanch. This doesn't mean rust won't, but it puts the development in perspective. Rust is a good game and it will get better if RPG elements are added to the game, if not then it won't be better than it is now, mods or not. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by xpiher

It can. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it will be popular with everyone. Minecraft has also updated PvE and other RPG aspects ALOT since lanch. This doesn't mean rust won't, but it puts the development in perspective. Rust is a good game and it will get better if RPG elements are added to the game, if not then it won't be better than it is now, mods or not. 

But Rust is popular with Darkfall players, AV's market.  Even in Rusts infantile state it's still better than DFUW in my opinion.

Originally posted by DMKano

Rust = player run servers (whoever runs the server has access to admin commands = cheating)

DF  - no player run servers, servers hosted by Aventurine, no player has access to admin/GM commands

Rust - multiplayer WAN game (due to player hosted servers), no player run server can support 1000+ players sorry

DF - actual MMO, server hosted by game dev in actual datacenter, no player has access to server side tools, etc...

If Rust ever has real hosted servers in a datacenter  - we can talk - right now it's just a mulitplayer WAN game like - DAY Z mod or any game where you can fire up a server and invite your friends.

No thanks.

You seem to be misinformed.

The private server aren't "Hosted" by players, they are hosted at Data Centers and rented to players.

The server side tools are needed in this stage of development (APLHA) as the Admins essentially act as GMs on their servers.

Rust = player run servers (whoever runs the server has access to admin commands = cheating)

DF  - no player run servers, servers hosted by Aventurine, no player has access to admin/GM commands

Rust - multiplayer WAN game (due to player hosted servers), no player run server can support 1000+ players sorry

DF - actual MMO, server hosted by game dev in actual datacenter, no player has access to server side tools, etc...

If Rust ever has real hosted servers in a datacenter  - we can talk - right now it's just a mulitplayer WAN game like - DAY Z mod or any game where you can fire up a server and invite your friends.

No thanks.

You seem to be misinformed.

The private server aren't "Hosted" by players, they are hosted at Data Centers and rented to players.

The server side tools are needed in this stage of development (APLHA) as the Admins essentially act as GMs on their servers.

I didn't know that - are there any public servers that are NOT rented to players?

In other words, any servers where players have no admin rights?

The "Official Servers"...   

I can understand where you are coming from, there's the fear of a private servers shutting down and Admin abuse. Hopefully this get works out as the game gets closer to release.

"“We are in very early development. Some things work, some things don't. We haven't totally decided where the game is headed - so things will change. Things will change a lot. We might even make changes that you think are wrong. But we have a plan. It's in our interest to make the game awesome - so please trust us.”"

Its game like Rust that help promote the full loot genre.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Who cares if Rust isn't a "true" MMO experience. It's a lot more fun and polished than both DF and MO combined, and offers more actual, working sandbox elements.

Rust's popularity (and DayZ's) just goes to show that gameplay matters more than almost anything else. You can make a beautiful, ambitious, super-complex game with deep character customization and huge RPG-based skill systems, designed for thousands of players, but if you can't code it and deliver a fun, working, smooth gameplay experience, you'll never succeed to attract and retain more than a handful of players.

Meanwhile, an extremely simple game like Rust gains a huge following almost overnight, despite being "just a co-op game". Why? Because the gameplay is fun. Simple as that.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

No thanks.

Highlighted part is the problem with DFO. It doesn't offer any server side content benefit worth for a MMO.

Players cant influence the server on a degree to be worth called MMO. Everything is static (static buildings, static locations, static timers)  to the point multiplayer WAN games are able to offer what DF offers and even in a more immersive way.

DF would be worth if it offers dynamic server side content and player driven gameplay mechanics.  Real housing which you can place your building everywhere, every item craftable, tools to define the rules of your conquested area, dynamic mob spawns and mob behaviour respossive to hunting tactics etc.. (That would mean playing out the strengts of the MMORPG genre and win over "client side" heavy genres like FPS games)  without these DF will have to face competition to Dayz and Rust which it will loose to and not only because Rust and Dayz is free of subscription.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by xpiher

But Rust is popular with Darkfall players, AV's market.  Even in Rusts infantile state it's still better than DFUW in my opinion.

That because a lot of DFO players that stayed around after everyone else left only played the game for combat and full loot. Nothing else matters to them. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

We had a bunch of people in our guild leave to go play Rust.  They liked it at first but then just got bored.  Everyone of them returned.  People may rail on Darkfall in terms of its developers but the game is solid with no other game even coming close to offering the type of gameplay that Darkfall does.  

Darkfall is fun now and is the game with the most potential to be even better.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Rust = abusive admins giving free stuff to friends or teleporting people randomly to their "fun" arena while they kill you and loot your stuff... OR offical servers that are overrun with people flying and head shotting you from the sky

I have yet to see a single hacker in person in Darkfall.  I have seen two videos and in both cases the players were banned the same or next day months ago.  I have not heard of a single act of admin abuse either other than SIN possibly getting patch notes before they happen (big deal in the political world).

So Rust is no where as good as Darkfall is.  At least you know when you are losing your city in Darkfall and nobody is going to "no-clip" and steal everything from you.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Originally posted by Badaboom

We had a bunch of people in our guild leave to go play Rust.  They liked it at first but then just got bored.  Everyone of them returned.  People may rail on Darkfall in terms of its developers but the game is solid with no other game even coming close to offering the type of gameplay that Darkfall does.  

So why'd they leave DFUW in the first place? 

RUST = ALPHA

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Yeah the best thing DFUW has going for it is it's basically the only game in town. Even the sandbox games coming down the pipe PROBABLY aren't going to be offering what Darkfall is offer, which is the skill-based fast paced combat.