Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Adds New Duel System and Weather Effects

garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Darkfall: Unholy Wars has announced its latest patch. The two big additions are the Duel System and Weather Effects seen below. 

New Duel System

• A player can now initiate a duel, by interacting with another player and selecting the “Duel” option. The duel window comes up and a wager can be added (optional). If the recipient of the challenge accepts, the Duel Banner is placed where the duel is initiated, and the participants will have a visible 70 meter radius around it to fight in (only visible to those involved in the duel). If one participant steps out of the circle, they have 5 seconds to return.

• Gold required for the duel needs to be available in your personal bank (Winners are paid directly to their personal bank).

• Auto-revive is fast when the duel takes place in protected areas.

• Duel in protected areas is interference free from 3rd parties (heal, damage etc.), which isn't the case in open areas.

• You will not be able to initiate a duel if you or your dueling partner or target are already involved in combat (time needs to pass without receiving or dealing any kind of damage).

Weather Effects & Environments 

• Weather effects system has been implemented (The weather effects are the same for all players in the same area)

• 74 new environments have been added all around Agon, related to the weather effects and adding a more diverse visual variation to the game.

:p 

Comments

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Thanks, Garrett, for posting this.

The weather is cool, and it definitely can change the gameplay a lot when it's storming or snowing.

The new duel system is an amazing addition to the game. The fact that you can make secure wagers a part of your duels.. I made a little extra pocket change last night, just dueling people for friendly wagers. :)

It's something myself, and a lot of other players have been asking for for a long time.

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Kind of sad what's passing for new content and major updates now, dueling?  Heh.
  • gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807
    I know I was saying the same thing...the game has been around for how long and now they decide to put dueling in....smh
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

This isn't a major update. The next planned update will be much bigger.

This is just a really cool addition. Dueling has always been in the game, but now they let you place wagers on yourself. What other MMO let's you put up gold in a duel? This is a unique and awesome feature.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

AV doesn't have a multi billion dollar budget like Blizzard has.  For such a unique game that goes against the grain they do their best with what they have.  The Duel system they added has added a carebear component to the game since you can Duel in safe zones.  Some of the more hardcore players are up in arms about it but its a nice feature to have.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• Mormo667Mormo667 Member UncommonPosts: 2

the new Duel System is a a great addition to the game, Av never wrote about this patch so its like a extra bonus for now. We hope they will add the promised content update as soon as possible. (Chaos Primalist Class & Village System Update)

cya ingame.

Mormo Blastbeat.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Just to correct Lustmord, several other MMO's let you wager gold in duels, TERA for example just to name one.  It is not a unique feature at all, although I agree that it is a good one that most games should have anyway.

I tried DF:UW for about an hour when it first launched and quit because of the horrible, horrible UI, maybe the worst in the industry.   Some friends convinced me to try again last night, played for about 5 hours, stole from 3 villages and attacked a city.  I say "attacked' but "jumped in and looked around" is more accurate, since there was no one there to attack.   There was no one anywhere to attack.  5 hours of running around and 3 villages successfully stolen from, and we killed 1 guy who actually fought back, and then 1 naked afk fisherman.  

I'm not saying there isn't activity going on somewhere in the game, but by and large, the world is empty and dead from what I saw in my first, and last hours back. 

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

Just to correct Lustmord, several other MMO's let you wager gold in duels, TERA for example just to name one.  It is not a unique feature at all, although I agree that it is a good one that most games should have anyway.

I tried DF:UW for about an hour when it first launched and quit because of the horrible, horrible UI, maybe the worst in the industry.   Some friends convinced me to try again last night, played for about 5 hours, stole from 3 villages and attacked a city.  I say "attacked' but "jumped in and looked around" is more accurate, since there was no one there to attack.   There was no one anywhere to attack.  5 hours of running around and 3 villages successfully stolen from, and we killed 1 guy who actually fought back, and then 1 naked afk fisherman.  

I'm not saying there isn't activity going on somewhere in the game, but by and large, the world is empty and dead from what I saw in my first, and last hours back. 

this is because they are less then 500 actives on prime time..

game is dead.. but the people who play the game will tell you: there are fights going on.. you only need to know where to look..

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    I don't play the game currently. I played a little of the Original darkfall. But you can't deny these guys at AV are not quitters. Still going and chugging along. I hope it lasts!
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

This was a ninja patch, they never really spoke much about a duel system before suddenly throwing it in our faces... That's a positive thing.

But without saying too much (because I can't say more): The best is yet to come. If you have any sliver of interest left in the game, I suggest you keep an eye on the coming updates, the game is changing from top to bottom.

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265

Not a DF hater at all. I respect what they are trying to do and I find the game good quality overall but not too into the MMO-battlefield concept. Too much grind (PvE or harvesting) in order to PvP. Completely understand that death in combat should cost something but should the cost be that the player has to spend hours grinding at tasks he does not really want to do? Similar to MO making you wander around in ghost form. Wtf. Makes no sense to me. No wonder most people quit. They might not mind losing but they don't want a second job or annoying time-wasting tasks.

When will we get a medieval sandbox/simulation MMO without retarded magic or supernatural elements? Something with character ageing and death so that your character's life can actually have some context within the game world.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Now the game is changing from top to bottom...again? How many times does a game get remade before they decide it was never good.

It's not the games concepts that are bad, it's the level of polish and actual gameplay. That and the really lame housing for a "sandbox".

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Fendel, without saying too much, the upcoming changes will rock darkfall to the core and you will have a reason to do the things you do in terms of clan holdings and territory control. 
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I always read DFUH news in case that magical something is introduced to get me excited again - but it never is.

The moment the excitement left me was when they took all the islands out of Darkfall. Goodbye solo playstyle forever. 

That was the moment when love turned to hate.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    I don't know what game you played but there are a ton of islands in Unholy Wars, and even if there weren't, solo play doesn't vanish due to lack of islands.
  • indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

I would like to post in order to counter Lustmord's insane fanboi-ism towards this game.

This new dueling system is about the worst possible thing they could have put into this game?  Why?

The game is dead.  There's only 100-200 active players per day.  Now at least HALF of the game's active player-base is spending the entire day dueling in a safe-zone with no risk what-so-ever.

The game these past 2 days as felt the most dead it has ever felt.  Roamed around the map for probably 6+ hours yesterday and found NOBODY!  Went to the Sanguine safe-zone and there were 50+ people dueling.

Not to mention, a patch was promised for January (today is January 31st and still no patch) that includes gameplay additions that were promised to be in-game LAST JULY!!   The chaos school was "complete" last JULY and still isn't in the game as promised multiple times.

The company running this game needs to be sued for lying to their player-base and actively stealing money from them.  It is a complete atrocity that this is allowed to happen in 2014.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Fendel, without saying too much, the upcoming changes will rock darkfall to the core and you will have a reason to do the things you do in terms of clan holdings and territory control. 

Yeah. I've been hearing that since DF1 EU launch.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by VassagoMael

Exactly.  These new-age Darkfall fanbois are beyond delusional.  They never played DF1 and for whatever reason they praise AV for every shit patch or thing they do.

Originally posted by indef

Exactly.  These new-age Darkfall fanbois are beyond delusional.  They never played DF1 and for whatever reason they praise AV for every shit patch or thing they do.

Wrong.  I've been there from the beginning.  Darkfall is easily one of the best MMO's out there right now with its feature set.  The best part is the game still has a lot more to offer with upcoming updates.  The combat is fun, the gameplay is awesome, these new weather effects are immersive, the world is fraught full of danger.  On Monday I was in a siege and fighting for 5 hours.  It was so much fun.  You're just a jaded DF1 fanboy. 

The entry level for people to get into DFUW vs DF1 is so much easier.  The safe zones allow people to get acclimated in the harsh reality of DF rebuild their losses.  In DF1 it took a year for a casual to compete.  At the end of DF1 it got better with all the leveling increases but that game is gone.  Let go.  Move on.

Wrong.  I've been there from the beginning.  Darkfall is easily one of the best MMO's out there right now with its feature set.  The best part is the game still has a lot more to offer with upcoming updates.  The combat is fun, the gameplay is awesome, these new weather effects are immersive, the world is fraught full of danger.  On Monday I was in a siege and fighting for 5 hours.  It was so much fun.  You're just a jaded DF1 fanboy. 

The entry level for people to get into DFUW vs DF1 is so much easier.  The safe zones allow people to get acclimated in the harsh reality of DF rebuild their losses.  In DF1 it took a year for a casual to compete.  At the end of DF1 it got better with all the leveling increases but that game is gone.  Let go.  Move on.

Holy shit you're delusional dude.

If DF:UW is the best MMO available, why do only TWO HUNDRED people play it?!?!?!  Literally less than 200 actives per day with less than 1000 total subscriptions.

To anyone reading these posts: This person is why Darkfall is as bad as it is.  Their idea of a good game is "immersive weather effects".  Do yourself a favor and don't believe anything these morons say.  The game is not worth your money and will be out of business within a year.

200 people, lol.  exaggerate more.  Darkfall needs to add more things to make it more sandboxy.  Weather is a small thing but it is something.  Sea storms are already effecting sea battles due to visibility.  Also, there are big territorial conquest changes coming that have the potential to bring a lot of old players back.   

• KingRizenKingRizen Member Posts: 1

You must be one of the butthurt kiddies that hasnt played in 9 months and just trolls all the forums trying to get people not to play.

New weather is nice effect, dueling system is a nice addition, its new so a lot of people doing it right now.

4 out of last 6 days I spent the entire time PVPing, and with 4 more sieges today I dont see that changing.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by KingRizen

You must be one of the butthurt kiddies that hasnt played in 9 months and just trolls all the forums trying to get people not to play.

New weather is nice effect, dueling system is a nice addition, its new so a lot of people doing it right now.

4 out of last 6 days I spent the entire time PVPing, and with 4 more sieges today I dont see that changing.

no need to tell anyone tho..

Both servers are dead.. current activity is lower then a private servers of wow.. i think 400 online on a server @ prime time is not far from the truth

dont matter tho.. play what you want i guess and keep supporting a bodemless pit..

they have spended 2.5 mill of investment and produced a broken game..went from a developersteam of 50 to maybe 10, switched to a minor office..

how happy will internetQ will be you think? lol.. this year they will bleed out mark my words

• aparksaparks Member Posts: 1

I'm glad AV is becoming more frequent with their patches and I wish them success.

However...

I believe AV should merge NA/EU Unholy Wars servers to Europe.

Than they should Re-launch Darkfall Online in NA.

This will make the two worlds of Darkfall gamers happy and at the same time bring in money to the company so they can hire more staff to actually finish UW.

Than they need to re-evaluate their forum mods and issue in replacements where needed. Paying customers should have freedom of speech and not be banned for constructive criticisms and turned away by moderators.

Consumers happiness should be priority number 1 in running a successful business offering services and products.

Good luck Aventurine!

I will re-sub when you bring back DFO!

Keep up the good work on frequent UW updates!

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

I doubt DF:UW is going somewhere in the next 4-5 years. So much things need to change for it to become a real MMORPG. Classes need to go, so much sand and playerdriven and dynamic content needs to be added.

First and formost they should revert to the original DF mindeset and riop out all the themepark ideas that ruined their game with.

Rust is in alpha and does lots of thinsg better then DF:UW.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Played since beta 2008 dude. Sorry.