Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Undead Labs Hires Patrick Wyatt and He Writes...Stuff

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Undead Labs, hot off their new multi-title agreement with Microsoft Studios, just brought former Blizzard VP, ArenaNet co-founder, NCsoft West CTO, and En Masse co-founder: Patrick Wyatt. If you've played games from any of those teams, Pat's been working on them in some form or another. But what's he going to work on at Undead Labs? Read on...

From Pat's introductory post on the Undead Labs site:

I’ve spent my career making multiplayer games. I did a nine-year stint at Blizzard as a lead programmer, game designer, producer and vice president, and was one of the leads on Warcraft I & II, Diablo I & II and StarCraft. I co-founded ArenaNet with a couple of buddies (Jeff Strain was one of ‘em) and co-lead the development of Guild Wars, where I wrote most of the server backend. ArenaNet was acquired by NCsoft, so I ended up adding an additional year there at CTO of NCsoft West, where I helped publish (but not develop) Aion as well as relocate the headquarters to Seattle. And following that, I helped co-found En Masse Entertainment, a Seattle-based game publisher, to launch TERA; my contribution there was to oversee the design and development of the game publishing platform.

And more importantly, even:

Incidentally, one thing that always burns me about interviews and articles about game development is that their authors have a tendency to glorify one or another individual. Apart from a very few indie titles and brilliant solo efforts like Another World, games are developed by teams. So while I contributed enormously to all of those games and projects, you should know that they each required the dedicated efforts of a team of people, many of them essential to the development process.

And so it is that here at Undead Labs, I am happy to be working with a great team of people I admire and respect. As it happens, more than half of them are folks I have worked with for many years on Guild Wars, so I know them quite well!

I guess maybe I’ll be working on something like that.So as per my instructions to introduce myself and provide some background, what else can I say? I can’t talk anything about what I’m working on here at Undead Labs … yet. … But … I specialize in developing really big multiplayer games. So I guess maybe I’ll be working on something like that, at least as soon as I get one of the cool lab coats everyone around here has.

Yep... seems like we should all be keeping an eye on Undead Labs this year, folks. Be sure to read our recent interview with Jeff Strain while you wait for more news.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    State of Decay was an extremely entertaining game. One of the most fun open world game I have ever played. I can only imagine what they will be able to do with an MMO. Not to mention it is always a plus when you hire someone from the Guild Wars 1 team.