Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In defence of Guild Wars 2 Combat Mode 2.0 mod!

2»

Comments

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Talemire
    I couldn't help but think about something like this being done with Age of Conan, if legal, with a similar button remapping.

I dont think it can be done in any usefull way to AoC, simply because of the combat system and the amount of abilities. if you look at the games which has a action combat system like this (cross hair, mouse lock etc), then they have a very "limited" active skill system. By this I mean they restrict you to a certain maximum amount of skills you can use at any given time. TSW locks you to 7 skills, GW2 has 10(?), NV has like 6 or 7 if i remember. TERA might be a little different if I remember correctly, I think you can slot somewhat more skills there.

Anyway, when you take away the point and click nature, then you also restrict, since everything has to be mouse or keyboard bound. This coupled with the combo system of AoC would make it difficult to implement action combat for that game, IMO.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by gope

I am not doing it  to add action combat to guild wars 2,upgrade Guild Wars 2 or even make it like Tera.

I understand if you don't like that type of thing.

I mostly doing it because this guy put his time and money in to it and arenanet goes that's nice.

Even  though 1.1 does a lot of cool staff,it has flaws.

2.2 fixes a lot of them,but it  heavily augments.

Which mean that your cheating by using it.

And by using it,you will get banned.

I understand i am asking a lot from you.But please give this guy a chance and help him.

Actually you just admitted you are advertising illegal 3rd party software on this site.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by gope And by using it,you will get banned. I understand i am asking a lot from you.But please give this guy a chance and help him.
    "Give this guy a chance, and get the account you invested hundreds of hours in banned for him".

You GOT to be kidding, right?

The creator asked one of the forum moderators (not one of the community managers such as Regina, Martin, or Gaile). He received a canned response stating that using ANY third party software or hardware was against the TOS and would risk your account. It's worth noting that this includes SweetFX, Steam, Windows, a video card, and even a mouse. In other words, according to the moderator, playing GW2 is a bannable offense.

The creator later asked Gaile Gray. She typed out a more elaborate response that explained that they can't say yes or no because they don't have the time approve every add-on or script anyone creates. She basically said to use your judgement on whether such a script gives you an advantage and do so at your own risk. Throughout the response, however, she never gave a clear "no".

I should also point out that unless they want to ban anyone who uses AutoHotKey, there's no way to detect when using this script. I've been using it for a long time myself and wouldn't play the game without it.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Talemire

Note that if you use this, you take the risk of getting your account banned.

Just a friendly warning.

The creator of the mod himself said that it's safe to use because it doesn't give any advantage over a person who isn't using it. However, this is for the 1.0 and 1.1 version only, but the 2.0 version that some are using change up the UI, and could pose as an advantage over someone else. If anything, though, 1.0 and 1.1 leave its users at a disadvantage because the element of aiming is added, also because it's basically only an external key mapping program made just for GW2.

The official community managers said on the forums a few times that any external tool including this mod are illegal and if you're caught using them, your account will most likely be banned.

So use at your own risk.

They also said on the oficial forums what exactly such a tool has to do to get you banned, and Combat Mod does not fall into that category. They explicitly made this distinction to communicate that it's ok to use CM without having to make an exemption case in their no-mod policy.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    That's an amazing mod. They should definitely integrate it into the game. One of my few real issues with the game is that targeting is beyond shit.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    while i prefer a million times the native combat system in GW2 over every other mmorpg i have to say that i am really looking forward to this mod so i can play GW2 with controller and Xpadder every time i dont feel like using m/k

• SandvichSandvich Member Posts: 39
    So if there's a group coming at you and you're told to focus fire on the mesmer, for example, how would this mod be of any use when you'd need to acquire and hold a hard target for a period of time, no matter which way you're facing? It seems this mod would make you situationally ineffective. 
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Sandvich
    So if there's a group coming at you and you're told to focus fire on the mesmer, for example, how would this mod be of any use when you'd need to acquire and hold a hard target for a period of time, no matter which way you're facing? It seems this mod would make you situationally ineffective. 

CM works well for melee characters who need to be up close and personal anyway, less so for ranged and classes with a lot of ground targeted skills. I play a staff Ele mostly, so CM was always too rigid in functionality for me. However, so much of what the mod does is already in game that you can replicate most of it without locking yourself out of your own class. Just by using the 'lock target' function and disabling autotarget, you can replicate most of what CM does, but still have the free mouse cursor to place ground targets or chose targets directly.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Eh, I been using this mod for the better part of 6 months. I remember reading somewhere that a GM said this mod was fine, but heck I haven't been caught yet and it makes the game much more enjoyable for me.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    This is what u originally hoped GW2s combat would be like. Instead we got a rehashed less responsive form of WoW combat.

C

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by mrshroom89
    This is what u originally hoped GW2s combat would be like. Instead we got a rehashed less responsive form of WoW combat.

WoW combat and GW2 combat are just the same...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_zMPcT2jgc

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

oooo man this video had me rolling.  Did you really just link me a video of someone playing a lvl 1 wow toon and compare the combat mechanics to that of a max lvl GW2 player?  /facepalm.

Character model aiming inconsistency -  Actually has nothing to do with combat mechanics considering in GW2 your character  AUTOMATICALLY faces your current target.  Yes it looks nice but still plays the same

No collision detection -  Very true for low level areas like in the video,  Go do arena and BG's and higher lvl dungeons / raids where it actually matters and you will see that this is false also.

Silly Melee range -  about 50% depends on your connection for BOTH games,  Go fight Shadow Behemoth or any of the other big bosses in GW2 and you get the same thing.  Regardless if one deems the melee range to be "silly"  There is still a required distance for melee in both games again making that point moot.

Unavoidable melee attacks when in range -  Wow was released in 2004 GW2 in 2012 you would hope they could fix a few technical issues.

Homing projectiles -  Flat out lie,  Both games have abilities that follow the target and some that don't.  

No Direct skill usage without target -  Makes very little difference in small scale battle because if you're not targeting the other player who's targeting you, you lose in GW2. (due to homing projectiles, they wont follow anyone if you don't have target.  I did enjoy this feature for WvWvW and large battles.

No Global cooldowns make for more exciting combat? -  Completely subjective 

Both games are tab target (at least to be effective) chase the other character down (if you're melee) or run away (ranged) smashing 1234.  Sorry but adding in a dodge roll (that really does nothing for projectile attacks since most player attacks hone to target) and the ability to spam attacks anywhere are not enough of a difference for me to put them in different combat style categories. 

Edit.  However add in this new combat aiming and POW new style of combat that looks much more interesting and skill based to me.

C

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

oooo man this video had me rolling.  Did you really just link me a video of someone playing a lvl 1 wow toon and compare the combat mechanics to that of a max lvl GW2 player?  /facepalm.

Character model aiming inconsistency -  Actually has nothing to do with combat mechanics considering in GW2 your character  AUTOMATICALLY faces your current target.  Yes it looks nice but still plays the same

No collision detection -  Very true for low level areas like in the video,  Go do arena and BG's and higher lvl dungeons / raids where it actually matters and you will see that this is false also.

Silly Melee range -  about 50% depends on your connection for BOTH games,  Go fight Shadow Behemoth or any of the other big bosses in GW2 and you get the same thing.  Regardless if one deems the melee range to be "silly"  There is still a required distance for melee in both games again making that point moot.

Unavoidable melee attacks when in range -  Wow was released in 2004 GW2 in 2012 you would hope they could fix a few technical issues.

Homing projectiles -  Flat out lie,  Both games have abilities that follow the target and some that don't.  

No Direct skill usage without target -  Makes very little difference in small scale battle because if you're not targeting the other player who's targeting you, you lose in GW2. (due to homing projectiles, they wont follow anyone if you don't have target.  I did enjoy this feature for WvWvW and large battles.

Both games are tab target (at least to be effective) chase the other character down (if you're melee) or run away (ranged) smashing 1234.  Sorry but adding in a dodge roll (that really does nothing for projectile attacks since most player attacks hone to target) and the ability to spam attacks anywhere are not enough of a difference for me to put them in different combat style categories. 

Edit.  However add in this new combat aiming and POW new style of combat that looks much more interesting and skill based to me.

A level 1 GW2 player has pretty much the same combat mechanics as a level 80 (weapon swapping and a few more skills aside). Of course the engineer character is a low level character while the guardian is a pvp character that is atuo leveled to 80.

In one you can evade the melee attack by moving out of range, in other you can't.

GW2 has a few abilities that follow the target. Most don't, meaning you can strafe and hide behind obstacles/other players.

In fact in WoW you can pick the boss mob behind the trash mobs and shoot him.

In WoW once they target you, you will be hit, regardless if you move out of range, if you hide behind a building or not.

Please list the GW2 homing skills.

You don't need to be targeting anyone to use the few homing skills.

I never tab target in GW2 nor do I need to since I can shoot without a target.

Most ranged attacks don't home on the target and dodging gives a few frames on invulnerability.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Dirt3pzDirt3pz Member CommonPosts: 3

EDIT: i warn you... i got mild add/autism and my replys often become very confusing (mixed with bad english and NO gramma)

ok guys... try to come down ok? those who feel this mod is genius rly need to sit down and think about it... and those who are scared about if opponents could have an advantage rly need to try it using it...

this mod only does two things (the cm 1.1 version) 

both are things you will never be able to stop people from doing over the internet, and something i have been doing for almost 10 years while waiting for the action based mmo wave to arrive... 

1. it let you map an action to your m1/m2 (this kan be done with any form of macro program, or in my case my roccat-kone-xtd mouse-driver allready have it) 

2. it places an icon in the middle of your screen ( i remember trolling with a un-scoped sniper rifle, and a sticker more than once) 

i played this form of ´´action based´´ combat the first week of the game (as i do in every tab targeted mmo where i dont have to target the mob im attacking)... i refuse to play anything with tab-targeting... it just feel so stiff and i dont even have to look at the screen while playing... 

and yes there is small advantages... lets say you want to leap AWAY from a fight... you dont have to click on the ground before casting the spell 

but  it dosnt even come close to the disadvantages...

the projectiles in this game dont shoot in a straight line, making the crosshair pretty much useless (or even worse, it gives you false information)... the intire asura race is unplayable with ranged weapons because of how close to the ground the animation start,.. (some people are proberly putting them self through hell and they dont even realize it) 

´´leap to target and deal xx dmg´´ -just an example of a spell that are developed for a tab targeting system... because yes, you can practise and become good at hitting your target from the perfect range instead of just waisting a spell while you jump over him... but your opponent who uses tab targeting will be able to stand with his back to you in melee range and still be able to hit you... he dont need to use the time to get in position...

------------

the thing i love most about this mod is how he have made a command for targeting what is right below your crosshair... (it might be the icm version)

lets think about that one for a moment...

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Dirt3pz

´´leap to target and deal xx dmg´´ -just an example of a spell that are developed for a tab targeting system... because yes, you can practise and become good at hitting your target from the perfect range instead of just waisting a spell while you jump over him... but your opponent who uses tab targeting will be able to stand with his back to you in melee range and still be able to hit you... he dont need to use the time to get in position...

-

You know that's not true in GW2, yes? You cannot stand with your back to your melee target and hit him in GW2. You will miss, regardless of range. You don't need to even have a target selected to hit in melee range but the target(s) must be in your forward arc.

Many of the 'leap and do damage' skills also tend to be ground targeted. You select a spot on the ground and that's where you land and do damage at. Not all... the ranger great sword version flies you to your target if you have one selected for example, but the engineer jump shot is one where you ground target for your landing.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

This discussion/thread is in violation of the ROC here?

• 3rd Party Programs
      • MMORPG.com does not allow forum discussion concerning programs that go against a game's EULA. This includes, but is not limited to, third party programs to automate gameplay or gain an unfair advantage over other players. Please check with your specific game's EULA for more details on what is or isn't allowed.

As for me, I am siding with those who have chosen not to use the mod for fear of an account ban.
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I use this mod in concert with xpadder and a gamepad.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Actually, this is an optional part of GW2. As was clearly shown in the video. In WoW, you're character automatically hits whatever you are targetted (outside of passive RNG). In GW2, they FACE what you're targetting (with the option enabled), but this doesn't guaruntee a hit, and can still be dodged / sidestepped.

** Yes it looks nice, and yes it IS an improvement. **

WoW does not have lvl based collision detection. No game does. If you honestly believe this, then there is no point in having a discussion about technical aspects of a game (which combat mechanic are). You are confusing LoS with collision detection. WoW does have some LoS (where the game deems it). But you can also shoot through doors, trees, etc. GW2 doesn't.

The giant world bosses are perhaps the most extreme case you can make for this in GW2. With which you still need to stay very close to the boss in order to hit. This has nothing to do w/ melee range in the game, though. It has everything to do w/ those bosses having deliberately larger hitboxes, because it would be otherwise stupid trying to fight a giant floating shadow with the majority of the classes the game has to offer.

The video shows this quite clearly. You can pretend it doesn't exist, but there are multiple videos that show this is the case. Again, you confuse 'homing' with 'aimed at the target'. WoW's projectiles home (you can't dodge them actively). GW2's projectiles are aimed (they will fire in your direction, but can still be sidestepped / dodged). If you don't understand the difference between the two, I don't know what to tell you.

Again, untrue. Check out the combat mode in the original post. It actually uses all the mechanics already in the game, and just modifies the UI a bit to make them easier to use. Works perfectly fine, and I have used it successfully in PvP to win games. And again, you don't seem to understand the difference between homing & aimed.

It is subjective, but I don't think many unbiased people would argue that WoW looks more exciting from a spectator's point of view. Although, good luck finding such a person on these forums.

We get it, you like WoW. But you seem to be deluding yourself about a few key points of the video:

1) The parts where a lvl 1 toon was used in the WoW video were used to illustrate issues w/ WoW's combat mechanics that happen REGARDLESS of lvls. Many of these counterpoints were done in GW2's PvP area, because the target dummies make an easy comparison (WoW's target dummies are in the world, GW2's are in the PvP area).

2) The parts of the combat which DO depend on lvl (which you label as 'subjective), high lvl characters were used for both games.

ignoring the fact that you clearly don't seem to understand how the combat in both games actually works. (just fyi, the combat mode presented in the OP is actually ONLY a UI mode for the game. All of the combat mechanics within the mode are already features of the GW2 base game, and are toggleable in the options; which is basically what the mod does for you). You already mention the point that WoW is an extremely old game.

It's okay to admit that WoW is dated, and that newer gamers are improving upon that. That doesn't make WoW an old game. It's OKAY to like older games. And they are many of them that I myself like. That doesn't mean I have to assume they are perfect, and anything / anyone who states differently is crap or wrong.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

• 3rd Party Programs
      • MMORPG.com does not allow forum discussion concerning programs that go against a game's EULA. This includes, but is not limited to, third party programs to automate gameplay or gain an unfair advantage over other players. Please check with your specific game's EULA for more details on what is or isn't allowed.

As for me, I am siding with those who have chosen not to use the mod for fear of an account ban.

It is, actually.

I've tried to tell people about this mod multiple times throughout the passed year, and was almost banned for doing so. Which is a shame, because it is actually worth checking out.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

• 3rd Party Programs

It is, actually.

I've tried to tell people about this mod multiple times throughout the passed year, and was almost banned for doing so. Which is a shame, because it is actually worth checking out.

Why are you doing this?

I can understand how much you like this mod and how much it improves the game, but....

You have been promoting this mod and ultimately people made the decision to violate the EULA all on their own but you have been claiming that it's safe. It may be so, but that is also subject to change. Especially if ANET makes any changes or updates to their bot detection system. 

How would you feel if players start receiving permanent bans because they followed your advice?

Would you feel awful or would you walk away thinking "Meh, they made their choice"?