Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls is dead, the sky is falling, it's over for Bethesda

2»

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Where did all these ESO white knights suddenly appear from?  Guess its just par for the course when a new game is nearly out.

I do have to laugh that the same people that were saying 'Guys settle down its only appearance gear for Imperials! It's definitely not a locked race!' are now saying 'Guys they are totally going to unlock it for free when you beat the game!'.  I mean really... no.  Otherwise they would have said 'unlock the Imperial race early' or 'Play the Imperial race before everyone else'.  So delusional.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Dewguy79
    Didn't you guys see the scientific poll on this site by Capt Picard.  Out of 500 people 30% won't be buying eso.  After that scientific poll they might as well shut down.  

24% are on the fence too.  I think current numbers leave 38% buying the game.  Considering only 5% to 10% of the gamer population ever buys any given game, that is ridiculously good news.  We can expect, what, 70 million copies sold?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31

ESO Isnt dead. Alot of people will buy into this crap of a module they have. Zen will make a Sh*t ton of money opening day. Zen will continue to make a sh*t ton of money for a year off of subs & when they feel they have made enough money & people start leaving the game, Zen will be the heros of the F2P MMORPG market for saying they are going to go free 2 play so that everyone can play. ESO sees a HUGE income of new players, Where more then 30% of that influx of players will spend money in the cash shop giving Zen an other Sh*t ton of money. 

This is the Business module for AAA MMOs. & people seem shocked buy it. SWTOR did it. Rift did it (Probly not on purpose but they still did it). Tera did it.

Its a dam good marketing/Business, They get 3 influxes of money Box Price, Sub Count, Then F2P Cash Shop. And when you think of it, They have 2 launches, An money is highest when players are 1st introduced.

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Can someone tell me what is ESO offering that is different from GW2?  From what I see it is the same type of skill system and same type of pvp (with no open world pvp) but with no dynamic events.  GW2 did not have a lasting replayability (at least not for me or my friends), so what is ESO offering that's different to keep you playing for years? 

Edit:  Sorry if this is coming off like a troll, but I'm really pessimistic about this latest AAA offering.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Iselin

As you can also read in my reply, I absolutely do not agree with the approach they're taking.

Based on the fact that they have cash shop plans already though, I'm pretty sure they'll try to nickle & dime the hell out of it even more.

Well that's where your logic stops and your speculative opinions begin. I have no comment on those other than to say that my crystal ball must be a different brand than yours.

Do P2P games eventually go F2P? Well the odds are in favor of that being true since it has happened to almost all of them...but you never know.

Apparently I was going by outdated statements about the cash shop plans, therefore I retract that last statement.

However, if they might not make the current bonuses available at all later on, would that be a better thing? Honestly, in my opinion, it's a screwed up situation either way due to the nature of the bonuses.

If you want my crystal ball though, I think mine is completely aligned with yours when it comes to the odds of P2P games going F2P.

Originally posted by Badaboom
    Can someone tell me what is ESO offering that is different from GW2?  From what I see it is the same type of skill system and same type of pvp (with no open world pvp) but with no dynamic events.  GW2 did not have a lasting replayability (at least not for me or my friends), so what is ESO offering that's different to keep you playing for years?

It's not the same as GW2 at all, believe me. The skill system is different in that you get 3 skill lines for your class and then skill lines for weapon types (but a weapon skill does the same thing for anyone).

There are dynamic events in the form of Dark Anchors, well sort of.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by Dewguy79
    Didn't you guys see the scientific poll on this site by Capt Picard.  Out of 500 people 30% won't be buying eso.  After that scientific poll they might as well shut down.  

24% are on the fence too.  I think current numbers leave 38% buying the game.  Considering only 5% to 10% of the gamer population ever buys any given game, that is ridiculously good news.  We can expect, what, 70 million copies sold?

That was my conclusion too... science is science and what's more scientific than an MMORPG poll? Am I right or am I right?

Damn...should have made that last part into a poll image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Originally posted by Margrave

I was very skeptical of TESO, then I got into beta. I know, I know.... NDA. Can't say I was in beta.

Well, I was. And even though some people here say that their time in beta showed them that it wasn't for them I had a very opposite reaction. I feel in love with it. Is it for everyone, no. At this point there is no mmorpg that will be a one size fits all. The market has too much choice, and options for that.

I have been a die-hard f2p supporter. I love the chance to 'try before buy' in titles. I think it's great. I one of those that loves Neverwinter. This title has had me tempted to pay the sub again. The first one to tempt me was FFXIV, and I resisted. The last numbers I saw about them were that they were at 1 mil subs. That's more than enough to keep a game running well. I continued to resist, and delved deeper into f2p titles. Then I played TESO, and loved it.

I have since pre-ordered, and can't wait. Will it go f2p? There's no telling. But there are still sub titles out there that are living just fine. No one will hit the WoW numbers again. That was just really great timing with an amazing IP. The market is drastically different now. There's lots more fish in this pond now...

I agree with this.

I have played it as well, and loved it. The only thing I don't agree with is the F2P philosophy. I have not found a F2P I enjoy, or enjoy for very long, so for me, a subscription is not a big deal, nor is the potential that they may have a cash shop in the future.

Maybe it is for some, but I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". The moment I don't think I'm getting my money's worth, I stop paying for it and go elsewhere. I'm also not under the misgiving that I am entitled to anything - They state what they will give you for the price they are asking, nothing more, nothing less. 

I believe F2P has brougth about some of the worse personalities in the MMO community. Not ALL people who support F2P are the issue, clearly.. but there are quite a few mouth pieces for it.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Edit:  Sorry if this is coming off like a troll, but I'm really pessimistic about this latest AAA offering.

Totally agree with you and I think its 3 months and done for this game.

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl
    Originally posted by Iselin

As you can also read in my reply, I absolutely do not agree with the approach they're taking.

Based on the fact that they have cash shop plans already though, I'm pretty sure they'll try to nickle & dime the hell out of it even more.

Well that's where your logic stops and your speculative opinions begin. I have no comment on those other than to say that my crystal ball must be a different brand than yours.

Do P2P games eventually go F2P? Well the odds are in favor of that being true since it has happened to almost all of them...but you never know.

Apparently I was going by outdated statements about the cash shop plans, therefore I retract that last statement.

However, if they might not make the current bonuses available at all later on, would that be a better thing?

Honestly, in my opinion, it's a screwed up situation either way due to the nature of the bonuses.

Yes, to me it would be.

I've always been a proponent of having a small number of "defectors" playing in their off-alliance - the Imperial thing just came out of the blue and I wasn't expecting that at all. But my emphasis is in "small numbers". I wouldn't want it to be a universal option so the numbers can be kept low.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147

I played GW2, and let me say I THINK ESO will do right everything GW2 tried and failed.

The PvP will be the best skill based game of your young lives.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    It's the same few folks that post this doom gloom for all games...they been here years.

I'm starting to think they've branched out and are now doing the drama queen thing on multiple accounts as well.

A lot of people who just signed up too, probably got banned on their other accounts.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

I would say several of those statements are wrong. Having played both, I can say for certain it plays substancially different than GW2, and it will definitely have a longer replayability that GW2 did not have for me, either. My opinion, of course.

I wish I could say more.. and I will. As soon as the NDA lifts. That's likely the most detail you'll get for the time being.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

This is all pointless because ESO will do well overall....

Not because of game play, not because of voice acting, not because of innovation. It will do well because it is has Elder Scrolls in the title. I could make a stick figure MMORPG with 2 minutes of content, slap Elder Scrolls in the title and I would make back 10 fold what I put into the development. The same could be said for TOR, Diablo3, Starcraft2 and an arsenal of titles riding off the success of its predecessors.

Originally posted by Coldren

I would say several of those statements are wrong. Having played both, I can say for certain it plays substancially different than GW2, and it will definitely have a longer replayability that GW2 did not have for me, either. My opinion, of course.

I wish I could say more.. and I will. As soon as the NDA lifts. That's likely the most detail you'll get for the time being.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     I am excited for TES 6 and for Fallout 4.  Its interesting to talk about some of the stuff that they are attempting in this game but it doesn't mean that I am going to just abandon Bethsoft totally.  They still have a long ways to go before they get the EA treatment from me.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by asrlohz

That Matt Firor quote is old and outdated. Paul Sage put those rumours to rest. But considering the recent events, it might as well be a cash shop since they are going to be selling the imperial race in their store as an "upgrade" for the standard TES:O edition.

Also, Bethesda won't fall. Nor will Zenimax Media. Maybe ZOS but most likely not. It's the same as the doomsayers said about Mists of Pandaria when it was released. "Oh, this is surely the end of Blizzard". For gods sake no. It's not, these are multi billion companies. They are worth more than you, your father and the previous 19 generations of your family ever were and the future 12 generations of your line will ever be.

Hopefully they won't all be doomsayers. The game will most likely make a profit, but it won't be the game I had hoped for and will most likely not captivate me for very long with this "Purchase Convenience" options that have recently been installed.

But it's still too early to say. Considering the amount of dust this announcement has brought up I think it's plausible that they might retract and redesign their marketing and launch.

This is the Sage interview where they said - the cash shop was misunderstood or badly worded.

There isn't a cash shop in the way we call it cash shop. It's not microtransactions. It's for "services" like a name change request.

It's in this audio interview link starting at about minute 0:12:00 / 1:23:41

http://skyrimofftherecord.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/ep81final.mp3

Thank you for providing the source :)

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    At this point I wish they would just STFU about ESO and get on with releasing ES 6 High Rock so the rest of us have something worth playing too and we wouldn't be hanging around the forum for a dead before release game fail.
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

it is going to top wow on greediness.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    Originally posted by Hellidol
    Originally posted by SuperNick
    Originally posted by Hellidol
    Maybe they have issues IRL, or maybe like me have been very disappointed with most of the newer MMO's in the last 8 years. I for one, cant say why i know this, but really believe this game to be a much better product then any mmo from the last 8 years. If all you like is the wow type content encounters then you wont like this, in wow content is hard until one of few things happen, nerfs, learn content or gear improvement. For most people its a combo of both. I for see people that want a encounter to feel new every time will love this game quit a bit, those that just like to log on and stand around having people look at their cool gear will hate this game and try to talk it to the ground. 

I agree, there have been some unfortunate releases in the last few years but as I said, I can't use them as a basis for how everything will be from here on out; that's just a bleak way to walk through life in general.

Should I never watch a movie again because After Earth horrified me?

Should I never buy a car again because my brand new 2014 model broke down a week after I got it?

How about being nice to people? Should I never be nice to anyone again because some people throw niceness back in your face?

I'm personally excited and think it's a real labor of love that isn't constricted by some parent company who wants to push it out the door before it's ready. (Read: a lot of the recent MMOs..)

What you are describing is very different subjects, one is something you want to like to do effortlessly, like being nice, if you are then thats what will happen. Gaming is kind of different in the sense of having to put effort into in-order to feel achievement. Much like a hypothesis if you are wrong all the effort put into it really wears down on the optimism. Also movies, cars, and ( dare i say it) people are generally not enough bad to the point of no return. If I tried boxing for the last 4 years and lost every fight out of 20 fights you might want to quit because it is simply not worth the effort if you feel you will lose before you even have the match. A lot of people feel that way with MMO's I have played: SWG, UO, SB, EVE, WOW, Linage 2, swtor, ect... out of all the mmos in the like 11 years I have only had fun with 3 ....and all three of them don't exist in the same form or at all. 

I'm not sure where you get this a lot of people, I mean people on this forum, people on other forums?

I mean people do realize that people on forums are only a small percentage of the actually mmo population right?

Most people are not on the forums, I mean I feel bad for you that didn't enjoy any of the mmos' that came out recently but your lumping people in the same category as you without any kind of facts except for forums that are notoriously know for whining and complaining......

Now I realize not everyone is gonna like TESO but these doom and gloom posts are getting a little ridiculous....

There will be plenty of people at launch just like every mmo now whether they hold onto them or not is a different story......

I was talking about people in general....and I am not sure you either understood my post or even read the whole thing :P

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Over for Bethseda? No. TESo as big a hit as they hope? Jury out.

If only they would be upfront. Its a big game, cost a small fortune. The price is $100 or $150 or whatever.

Better than $60 and a few $15s. $75 ftom people who stick around 6 months. At the cost of lower sales and less DLC sales; less now that we have had the CE and $20 upgrade option. Wonder what the next DLC candidate will ne when subs drop?

And unlike EA the jury may never return. No publiv reports to file.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    The drama explosions that happen on this site over stuff like this is what keeps me coming back. Basically anytime a game is getting ready to launch or has been out for less than a month makes for some good reading. 
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Skeeter50

I played GW2, and let me say I THINK ESO will do right everything GW2 tried and failed.

The PvP will be the best skill based game of your young lives.

Can you elaborate on this without breaking the NDA?

Although I have no reason to discount your opinion it is just an opinion with nothing to back up the rationale.

Sadly I was accepted into the beta but both weekends I had to work so I have no first hand knowledge to draw from.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Who cares what other people think of the game. Why do you gamers on mmorpg.com waste your time arguing about such trivial drivel that doesn't really matter in the end anyways. It doesn't effect me that a bunch of people already hate eso, I'm still going to play it. Maybe I will like it, maybe I won't. Who cares.

Does anyone ever talk about anything worthwhile on this site anymore? I'm starting to see why we don't see Loki666 anymore and most of the old vet posters on this site.

• SonOfValmarSonOfValmar Member Posts: 49

What I find hilarious about this entire "controversy" is that it has centered around the Imperial Race instead of the Play Any Race, Any Faction. The second bonus I listed is a much bigger controversy if there was ever to be one simply because it undermines the original design philosophy of the game. The game was built with the 3 Locked Factions at its core, and to see it so easily discarded with a pre-order bonus is amusing to say the least.

Why design your game with such limitations if you could be swayed to give people an avenue to disregard the limitations?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

OP, you may have some valid points... but the fact is, as you said, we might not have all the information yet. Your points, if true, are not redeeming in any way.

Don't you think they should have provided all that information before asking for people's money so they can make their own informed decision? I mean.. if I find out there's a way to get all the deluxe edition extras for free just by playing the game, I will be pissed off. I would have wished I'd been able to choose whether to pay or play for it... and I would have played for it.

So, nope, no matter what happens here.. they have made a mistake and mistreated their customers either by nickel and diming, bribing pre-orders or taking people's money before providing all the facts. There's no way out, they've screwed up.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.