Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Facebook an MMORPG?

Mechanic74Mechanic74 Member UncommonPosts: 11

On Facebook for instance, massive amounts of people are online in a persistent world in which they act out of character and play varying roles that differ from their real world persona. They even form "guilds" (pages), have friends lists, and take part in PvP (ha).

It is odd and interesting  to me how social media sites are so akin to the MMORPGs we all know and/or play.

Does anyone else find this interesting?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

depends who you ask image

http://www.mmobomb.com/browsergames/mmorpg

A Mystical Land

The game A Mystical Land is one of the first free-to-play 3D-MMORPGs on the popular internet platform Facebook.
  • Lam3zorLam3zor Member UncommonPosts: 48

facebook IS a mmorpg. lots of pvp. lots of skill spam and very few people actually try to learn advanced skills.

though it has been proven that the character you have on facebook is connected to the real life players so damage on facebook can kill you in real life

• Mechanic74Mechanic74 Member UncommonPosts: 11

I guess just seeing the similarities that exist between the two (among other facets of RL) are interesting to me.

The need for people to band together and seek out like-minded people for instance.

The need for war, drama, etc. The need for recognition, the play on narcissism (FB) etc.

• Mechanic74Mechanic74 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by Lam3zor

facebook IS a mmorpg. lots of pvp. lots of skill spam and very few people actually try to learn advanced skills.

though it has been proven that the character you have on facebook is connected to the real life players so damage on facebook can kill you in real life

Ha true!

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I do more with other people on facebook than I do MMORPGs.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

No .. because that is not common usage.

Any logical reasoning is not very useful. FB is commonly referred to as a social network website. If you call it a MMO, people will scratch their heads.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Mmorpg? No. Mmo? Yes.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sure, why not, heck, so is Candy Crush Saga if we follow the more liberal definitions of many of the posters and editors of this site . What was that term they just came up with? Oh yeah, hybrid mmo, that's it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    I figured nariusseldon would have been all over this, and furthermore would have been citing random links to backwater websites showing just how much money Facebook has made and how it's busyness model is the next big thing... once of course he is through championing Free to Play.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Facebook is mmorpg on a pvp server

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

So, if Facebook is an MMORPG...That would make myspace D&DO? And, anything copying Facebook an FB-clone?

And, food for thought: The spell check red lines 'facebook'; But not 'Facebook'.