Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax - it takes work to make a decision this bad

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by superconducting

Access to the imperial race is only 20 bucks more than the standard edition. I think they are banking on this fact- that most people will not be upset with restriction of content by a relatively small paygate.

I personally think it's fine. It's a good thing it wasn't any more than $20, because they would have been heavily criticized otherwise.

Yeah, they're lucky they dodged all that criticism.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by karmath

So now, what do the defenders of this game have to say? Yesterday you were saying that the Imperial race was fake and Zenimax wouldnt do that. Today, its even worse, cough up to unlock races from factions on top of cough up to play a race.

Has this swayed your opinion of the game?

Just look through a few threads, you'll see plenty of excuses to make it ok.  The popular one is "all CE's have special bonuses, this one is not different."  or "if you want something good you have to pay extra for it."

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    This does seem like quite some hardcore bullshit. On other hand being able to play an Imperial in Aldemeri Dominion makes me overlook it. Good job trolling ES fans Zenimax. 
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

So now, what do the defenders of this game have to say? Yesterday you were saying that the Imperial race was fake and Zenimax wouldnt do that. Today, its even worse, cough up to unlock races from factions on top of cough up to play a race.

I believed it yesterday.  And I agreed with it then too.  Though I actually don't like that races aren't locked.  Not because it violates lore, because it doesn't, but just because I think restrictions add more meaning to the choices you do have.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Margulis

Just look through a few threads, you'll see plenty of excuses to make it ok.  The popular one is "all CE's have special bonuses, this one is not different."  or "if you want something good you have to pay extra for it."

Ugh. I really cant understand people like that. It really baffles me. Things like this are not isolated anymore, if one publisher/developer gets away with it, they all start doing it soon rather than later. 

• Unless you are specifically going to play the Imperial Race if it was standard for all, You being butthurt over it just screams crybaby gamer syndrome.

The hilarious part about it is that the Imperial Edition isn't a good buy because the Imperial Race, its a damn good buy because you get a free mount on every new character you make...That's always a bloody good bonus to have in any game.

Originally posted by Xsorus

Unless you are specifically going to play the Imperial Race if it was standard for all, You being butthurt over it just screams crybaby gamer syndrome.

The hilarious part about it is that the Imperial Edition isn't a good buy because the Imperial Race, its a damn good buy because you get a free mount on every new character you make...That's always a bloody good bonus to have in any game.

People like you are the reason we have not had a decent game worthy of long term time investment in over a decade. Think upon that.

• Originally posted by karmath

Unless you are specifically going to play the Imperial Race if it was standard for all, You being butthurt over it just screams crybaby gamer syndrome.

People like you are the reason we have not had a decent game worthy of long term time investment in over a decade. Think upon that.

Yes, its obviously my fault that your epic butthurt over not finding a game equal to your original love because I think you're being a little baby when it comes to racial preferences in a game where you probably won't play the race anyway.

Also newsflash, Games in the past decade aren't worth picking up because most of them were flat out copies of WoW, Bug Ridden messes, and breeding grounds of bitches who complain about everyone and everything.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

Why are you on a forum of something you havent liked in over a decade?  You literally have some type of mental illness to do that.  Pretty scary thought actually. 

• Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31

BF4 did it, Made over 1.6 million in sales on pre-orders alone. -Info from GamingPolitics(dot)com

So did Rome 2, Oh an just about every other big title launch this year from the Console industry. But still people will Buy. And it will only get worse. 

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

Originally posted by flguy147

Why are you on a forum of something you havent liked in over a decade?  You literally have some type of mental illness to do that.  Pretty scary thought actually. 

Unlike most, I actually love the genre. It want to see it thrive and become innovative, creative and engaging. But all I have seen is that it has been raped, striped off all integrity and cashed in upon. Until you people realise this, we will keep getting served cloned coal at gold prices that still tries to milk you for some added on coal at a diamond price. Seriously if you ever what to see an original, non laggy crapfest like the last decade of games, stop buying them. Then, and only then will we see great games.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

decision isn't just going to go away, for the entirety of the game's life people will talk about it, see Imperials running around and ask "I want to be an Imperial how do I get to be that?"  "Oh you can't unless you got the CE when it launched." You have 2 months to fix this Zenimax, make it available to everyone.  Because you are doing WAYYYYYY more harm to yourself financially as it stands with the public backlash and hate than the small boost you would get from a few extra CE sales.

Don't dismay ! When the game inevitably goes F2P you will be able to either upgrade to CE digitally in the game store or pay to unlock Imperials.

Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    Don't dismay ! When the game inevitably goes F2P you will be able to either upgrade to CE digitally in the game store or pay to unlock Imperials.

Apparently the FAQ already says you can upgrade at any time after launch.

The Force shall free me.

• Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31

Idk why people are hating on this statement. Its fact. I'd rather a forum of people who want the best of something & question & speak there mind then a bunch of FanBoy Zombies who think Zen can do no wrong really lol. 

This isnt speaking out toward any one. Just saying what Zen is doing IS BAD. 

A pre-order is giving a company free money for an unfinished product. Now Zen is forcing players who want the FULL GAME (races & all) that you HAVE to throw money at them. Where is the good in this>? I dont see it

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

Originally posted by MMOBlogger

Idk why people are hating on this statement. Its fact. I'd rather a forum of people who want the best of something & question & speak there mind then a bunch of FanBoy Zombies who think Zen can do no wrong really lol. 

This isnt speaking out toward any one. Just saying what Zen is doing IS BAD. 

A pre-order is giving a company free money for an unfinished product. Now Zen is forcing players who want the FULL GAME (races & all) that you HAVE to throw money at them. Where is the good in this>? I dont see it

You don't like it =/= "it's BAD."

It is a pre-order, not a pre-purchase.  Typically with pre-orders you don't get charged until the game either ships or you get the download link.  So you aren't giving them any money with a pre-order, you are giving them a promise that you will pay them when the game releases.  Maybe.  If you don't change your mind before then.

The Force shall free me.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I'm gonna wait for this game to go F2P.

I can handle CE fluffy items, pets, cool animations, non-combat trinkets, but having a new race is a bit too much.. that is expansion material, not DLC / CE goodies.  Not restricted content.

Zenimax could add a CE++ though .. you know, add wings so players can fly, and do aerial combat.  That's console material right there, and I bet it's already being considered (even more so since I mentioned it, you're welcome) :P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• vinnygvinnyg Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Whats funny to me is i bought 2 CE and im not even gonna play the imperial ...... But hey i got a job and ill spend my money as i please :)
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    The tactic they are using is just fine.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

It's too late for them to backflip on this now, they have started selling pre-orders with the promise that people are getting an exclusive race and the ability to play as any race on any faction.

While it is poor form, it will probably have zero consequences for the sales of the game, its a big IP, it would sell well if they just took a big dump and put an Elder Scrolls logo on it (which isn't too far off tbh).

At some point in the future, when the novelty wears off, players will realise the innate advantage these pre-order and collectors edition players have, and then there will be a real backlash.  Racial abilities will either get nerfed to insignificance, these advantages will get sold in a cash shop, or the potential long-term players will just leave if they didn't pre-order.

• DealdrickDealdrick Member UncommonPosts: 85

For me, the proof will be in the pudding. Gameplay and mechanics > marketing stunts and means of monetization.  I've not had a chance to participate in beta, so I have no basis to form an opinion on the game, but this is suspicious.

The actual Devs have spent quite a bit of time justifying the subscription model , and before the game is even launched there is an apparent backtrack on that stance.  That is what is worrisome, not bundling a race with the CE, but a conflict of attitude and message. 

One question I have is, who's call was it to offer unlocks with preorders and the CE?  Did the actual Dev team want to give players a way to unlock race affiliation because so many asked for it, or did the marketing team see an opportunity to cash in on player demands?

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Katilla

I highly doubt anyone complaining on this forum has EVER bought a CE of an MMO, otherwise you will realize that every single game that offers a CE has special items that you ONLY get with the CE.... hence the extra money, this is nothing new people....I personally always spend the extra for the in game goodies I get for them. 

I've purchased many CE's and pre-orders as well, dating all the way back to EQ and DAoC.  Probably at least a half dozen, and likely a few more that I can't remember.  No game that I have ever seen launch, that I was interested enough to pre-order or buy a CE, has ever released something as huge as an entire race.  It has always been cosmetic items and early access, as well as physical fluff, like maps, books, and soundtracks.  

I have been playing MMO's since UO.  I've never seen a P2P game do this to it's fan base.  Pay locking content, and also making it exclusive to pre-orders and CE's.  The fact that you can upgrade at a later date doesn't matter.  It's still pay locking content, no matter how you spin it.  

Some people can't understand it.  However, an entire race is a HUGE thing.  Being able to roll any race, no matter your alliance is HUGE thing.  It makes the racial alliances meaningless.  ZOS made a huge mistake in early development that could have been avoided, while making mostly everyone happy.  This decision would have never had to of been made.  They had a horrible design path and now they are going to pay for it with all of this negative press.  I called it.

Unlike most, I actually love the genre. It want to see it thrive and become innovative, creative and engaging. But all I have seen is that it has been raped, striped off all integrity and cashed in upon. Until you people realise this, we will keep getting served cloned coal at gold prices that still tries to milk you for some added on coal at a diamond price. Seriously if you ever what to see an original, non laggy crapfest like the last decade of games, stop buying them. Then, and only then will we see great games.

A. You don't love the genre, You love the idea of the first MMO you played, You're stuck in that Rosey Glasses State that most MMOers are stuck in... The one constant for your whining in the past decade about shit games is you... Don't get me wrong..There have been some terrible MMO's released, But if you think a substantial portion of them haven't been good then you're kidding yourself. Also pretty much every MMO in existance has cashed in crap...I still have a shitty UO Strategy guide and cloth map.

B. you complaining about laggy crapfests has nothing to do with your ESO complaint of them offering a Race....and the funny part is, ESO actually gets your major complaint right...The game while not amazing in my opinion (Its pretty decent Elder Scrolls game) actually runs amazingly in terms of Performance...In fact i've not seen an MMO that's ran as good as it does in PvP ever... and I've played them all...DAOC, GW2, Rift, UO, EQ, WoW you name it, None of them come anywhere near this games performance when it comes to laggy...I get zero FPS loss, with No culling in fights with 100's of people... So you can harp on this game for being a lot of things, Performance though is not one of them.

Either your post is a flat out lie or you're breaking the NDA. Choose.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The big issue:  This isn't a F2P game!  If it was you could get away with charging extra for an entire race, but you are asking for box sale, plus sub (P2P game) and STILL pay locking content.  And this isn't just some dumb costume or mount, it is an ENTIRE RACE.  And this is after you said you wouldn't do this sort of thing!

They're not charging extra for an entire race, they're charging $20 for a collector's edition. That CE, instead of just having the usual fluffy stuff that you outgrow by level 10, has something more durable this time: a mount and an entire race.

A race which BTW, all of us were prepared to live without until 24 hours ago. It has only inexplicably (who the f**k ever plays a damn imperial in any ES game?) become a highly coveted item simply because not everyone gets it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147

A. You don't love the genre, You love the idea of the first MMO you played, You're stuck in that Rosey Glasses State that most MMOers are stuck in... The one constant for your whining in the past decade about shit games is you... Don't get me wrong..There have been some terrible MMO's released, But if you think a substantial portion of them haven't been good then you're kidding yourself. Also pretty much every MMO in existance has cashed in crap...I still have a shitty UO Strategy guide and cloth map.

B. you complaining about laggy crapfests has nothing to do with your ESO complaint of them offering a Race....and the funny part is, ESO actually gets your major complaint right...The game while not amazing in my opinion (Its pretty decent Elder Scrolls game) actually runs amazingly in terms of Performance...In fact i've not seen an MMO that's ran as good as it does in PvP ever... and I've played them all...DAOC, GW2, Rift, UO, EQ, WoW you name it, None of them come anywhere near this games performance when it comes to laggy...I get zero FPS loss, with No culling in fights with 100's of people... So you can harp on this game for being a lot of things, Performance though is not one of them.

Either your post is a flat out lie or you're breaking the NDA. Choose.

Why dont you choose to hate on a game you have a clue about.

Originally posted by evilastro

At some point in the future, when the novelty wears off, players will realise the innate advantage these pre-order and collectors edition players have, and then there will be a real backlash.  Racial abilities will either get nerfed to insignificance, these advantages will get sold in a cash shop, or the potential long-term players will just leave if they didn't pre-order.

Apparently the FAQ already states that you can upgrade at any time after launch to the Imperial Edition.  I'm sure after a suitable period of exclusivity to reward people for pre-ordering, an alternate method for getting that bonus will be in place as well.

Originally posted by Iselin

A race which BTW, all of us were prepared to live without until 24 hours ago. It has only inexplicably (who the f**k ever plays a damn imperial in any ES game?) become a highly coveted item simply because not everyone gets it. 

Hey now, I always play an Imperial.  They tend to get the best (only) bonuses to speechcraft in the single player games.  At this point it is just personal tradition, I'll play one even if they have the worst racial skill line in the game.  That said, I love this Imperial Edition.  It gives me something I wanted anyway, in a collector's edition I was already planning to buy, win/win.

The Force shall free me.