Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imperial Race is a Vanity Item. Choice of alliance with race is a friend join feature that is just a

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

Most people should have realized by now that Race skills are no greater then Class skills.   There is no advantage to having imperial race.  It is the equivalent of a VANITY ITEM. 

I don't understand the outrage over this.   Your Characters skills most important to battle will be your WEAPON SKILL and the GUILD you choose to join in game.   Not some race or class,  lets put this in some prepective here at the very least.

The choice to be on any Alliance as any race, is also just VANITY,  as all races are not more powerful then each other..... 

The main reason to ACTULLY WANT this is to join friends of other alliances as the race you want.   I'm sure it took development time to make this happen, so 20 bucks extra for not just that, but all the other goodies is definatly reasonable for them to ask for.

You will actually have the option to join friends of other alliances at 50, that was talked about in the Q&A,  so having that option at the START of the game is a LUXARY,  NOT A MUST to play with friends of other alliances.

Comments

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by fistorm

Most people should have realized by now that Race skills are no greater then Class skills.   There is no advantage to having imperial race.  It is the equivalent of a VANITY ITEM. 

I don't understand the outrage over this.   Your Characters skills most important to battle will be your WEAPON SKILL and the GUILD you choose to join in game.   Not some race or class,  lets put this in some prepective here at the very least.

The choice to be on any Alliance as any race, is also just VANITY,  as all races are not more powerful then each other..... 

The main reason to ACTULLY WANT this is to join friends of other alliances as the race you want.   I'm sure it took development time to make this happen, so 20 bucks extra for not just that, but all the other goodies is definatly reasonable for them to ask for.

Some of the racial passives help out a little, I now they don't really do that much but add a little help to certain points, but I would like to know what the Imperial passives are... to see how they translated some of the weirder abilities of the Imperial.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Actually, racial skill lines are fairly potent in this game. It's one of the things that helps separate it from other games.
  • fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Actually, racial skill lines are fairly potent in this game. It's one of the things that helps separate it from other games.

What makes you think ESO would hand over an unfair advantage with one race over another?   Every race has its strong points and weaknesses,  what makes you think Imperial will be GREATER then 9 other races?   Do you really need 10 race options when you already have 9?   To me that's just plain VANITY.

• TinglySidewindaTinglySidewinda Member Posts: 21

Its bull**** not to give everyone the same choice.  Charging 20+$ more for that option is retarded.

I dont care about playing imperial scum, but if they have the option to play any race any alliance... that is not fair.

What makes you think ESO would hand over an unfair advantage with one race over another?   Every race has its strong points and weaknesses,  what makes you think Imperial will be GREATER then 9 other races?   Do you really need 10 race options when you already have 9?   To me that's just plain VANITY.

I have no idea if it's going to be better, but I know it's going to be different. There are probably a lot of people that are upset for the vanity reasons like you say. And then there will be a lot of upset people over the strengths the imperial skill line might offer certain playstyles if they don't have access to an imperial.

It's obviously not just plain vanity. There is a racial skill line involved. That directly affects your characters stats/skills.

Originally posted by TinglySidewinda

Its bull**** not to give everyone the same choice.  Charging 20+$ more for that option is retarded.

I dont care about playing imperial scum, but if they have the option to play any race any alliance... that is not fair.

Really?  You have 9 choices of races, and your mad about 1 extra one?   If you don't have money to spend why would you spend 20 bucks on just one extra race?   Very very VANITY.   I'm going to be getting the CE, but I'll be playing Khajit, that Imperial race can sit on the self for me collectiong dust.    I dint like imperial race in other ES games why would I want to choose that?   You pick the race that you liked most in past ES games.  

Crying about not having access to 1/10 races when they are all equally as powerful seems a bit SPOILED to me.   Its like crying over a candy bar because you only got 9/10 of the candybar... 

If you want to be SPOILED, which is what a CE is for, then spend the cash.  If you don't care to be spoiled, then don't spend the extra 20 bucks, save it and be one of the other equally powerful races.

Really?  You have 9 choices of races, and your mad about 1 extra one?   If you don't have money to spend why would you spend 20 bucks on just one extra race?   Very very VANITY.   I'm going to be getting the CE, but I'll be playing Khajit, that Imperial race can sit on the self for me collectiong dust.    I dint like imperial race in other ES games why would I want to choose that?   You pick the race that you liked most in past ES games.  

Crying about not having access to 1/10 races when they are all equally as powerful seems a bit SPOILED to me.   Its like crying over a candy bar because you only got 9/10 of the candybar... 

It's actually not just vanity. Your racial choice gives you a skill line that affects your character directly.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    I happen to like ESO and have no problem with today's announcements, but people really need to stop feeding fistorm.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

It's actually not just vanity. Your racial choice gives you a skill line that affects your character directly.

AND that's why I'm being KHAJIT.... 

I'm satisfied with my candybar even though I'm getting my CE and STILL playing Khajit!!
    And as for being another race in another alliance....  You can do that at 50 if you don't want to have that luxury at the start of the game.
  • Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

So by that logic your cool with just 3 zones to level in instead 6? I mean you could pay seperately for the other 3...on top of your box price and sub fee....but you aren't missing out if you don't...just vanity....

In fact...why stop there right? How many melee classes does this game have? Well I say only give us 1, melee class is a melee class after all...only difference is animations/look/flavor....ALL VANITY I SAY.

In my eyes...vanity items are..I dunno...mounts...pirate hats...novelty items that make fireworks...cosmetic effects on skills....

Vanity items AREN'T - Classes/races/Skills/zones/dungeons/raids/pvp maps/skill points/basic social/grouping features

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

Every race will have strengths and weaknesses that is true.  The concern (and it is valid as much as you say it isn't) is that for one or more play styles the racials will provide a significant advantage and make the Imperials THE race to play.  It happens in almost every game that has some form of racial ability, I doubt this one will be any different.  Only in this one they will be behind a pay wall.  In a subscription based game.

Now I'm not saying the Imperials would be the best at everything but then they don't have to be, just one thing.

WoW vanilla Forsaken rogues.  EQ Ogre Warriors.  Balance is a fleeting illusion.

Originally posted by Joejc7135

So by that logic your cool with just 3 zones to level in instead 6? I mean you could pay seperately for the other 3...on top of your box price and sub fee....but you aren't missing out if you don't...just vanity....

In fact...why stop there right? How many melee classes does this game have? Well I say only give us 1, melee class is a melee class after all...only difference is animations/look/flavor....ALL VANITY I SAY.

In my eyes...vanity items are..I dunno...mounts...pirate hats...novelty items that make fireworks...cosmetic effects on skills....

Vanity items AREN'T - Classes/races/Skills/zones/dungeons/raids/pvp maps/skill points/basic social/grouping features

Wow.  what a far out there statement,  1/10 races does in no way equal 3/6 zones....     Mathmatically impossible

You have ACCESS to EVERYTHING IN GAME,    IF you think 1/10 races is so important and so powerful, then pay the 20 bucks, because its NOT!!!    let me repeat,   1 out of 10 races IS NOT WORTH 20 bucks.....

If That was all they put into a CE,  I would NOT BUY the CE,   I'm going to be playing Khajit!!!  DO YOU GET?

Stop trying to twist minor VANITY and SPOILED items and comparing them to actual gameworld access, its not even in the same ballpark.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Its not a vanity item, it is a class. If it were a cloak or a set of armor that you wore on your whatever THAT would be a vanity item.

I love how people try and lie to hide this shit. This isnt under NDA and mods here cant get rid of it for fear of a lawsuit. So people can counter it with actual evidence. Even if Imperial was vanity, theyre still offering eevry race for all faction with ANY pre order. So I suppose those dont count as 'content' either?

Bottomline is if I pay a subscription I do not get it. Therefore it is gated/locked behind a pay wall. The FIRST reason these clowns gave as to how they justified the subscription model.

Zenimax has a very small window of what the define as content I guess. Mounts, races, classes, and gear dont constitute content in their eyes.

Thats why its OK for them to give a mount (not a mount skin) a class (not a class skin), rings that boost experience, and ability to play any race in any Alliance. If I see an Imperial anything I know that person paid more than I did (if I didnt buy the option) either through the pre order or through the store.

The ONLY think remotely 'fluffy' about the perks is the mud crab. That is purely vanity. And why most people couldnt care less about it.

• TwychTwych Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by TinglySidewinda

If you pre-order you can play as any race on any Alliance

"All those who pre-order or pre-purchase either the Imperial Edition or the Standard Edition in physical or digital formats will also receive The Explorer's Pack bonus at launch, which includes: Scuttler vanity pet, four bonus treasure maps, and the ability to play as any of the nine races in any Alliance. Early Access bonuses will also be offered to those pre-ordering or pre-purchasing a PC/Mac version."

Stop trying to twist minor VANITY and SPOILED items and comparing them to actual gameworld access, its not even in the same ballpark.

Actually, it's not just vanity. The Imperial race comes with it's own skill line just like all the other races which differentiates it from the rest. The skill line directly affects your stats/skills.

Originally posted by Miblet

Every race will have strengths and weaknesses that is true.  The concern (and it is valid as much as you say it isn't) is that for one or more play styles the racials will provide a significant advantage and make the Imperials THE race to play.  It happens in almost every game that has some form of racial ability, I doubt this one will be any different.  Only in this one they will be behind a pay wall.  In a subscription based game.

Now I'm not saying the Imperials would be the best at everything but then they don't have to be, just one thing.

WoW vanilla Forsaken rogues.  EQ Ogre Warriors.  Balance is a fleeting illusion.

The most powerful THE SKILL to use in game are your WEAPON SKILLS, AND GUILD SKILLS.   your race skills are minor, and will NOT WIN you any battles.   Lets think EQ 2 racial abilies here......    How powerful you think those would be to win you a battle.   I hope I have put this into reasonable sane context for you.

The most powerful THE SKILL to use in game are your WEAPON SKILLS, AND GUILD SKILLS.   your race skills are minor, and will NOT WIN you any battles.   Lets think EQ 2 racial abilies here......    How powerful you think those would be to win you a battle.   I hope I have put this into reasonable sane context for you.

Actually, they are quite potent. It's one of the things that differentiates this game from others.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

In gameplay terms, I don't care about this at all.

But I do have a pretty big RP problem with it. It makes absolutely no sense that I can pick a faction playing an enemy race - without any in-game change.

The LEAST they could do would be to include some kind of penalty for interacting with NPCs. You're supposed to be at war - and having the game completely ignore you're actually from an enemy race makes me worry A LOT about the integrity of the game and the lore.

It's pretty damned cheap - and I'm speaking as a fan of ESO based on beta.

• jorenjoren Member UncommonPosts: 5

Imperial is not a race or a class. It's a faction just like Stormcloak is a faction in the game. If you've ever played any of the elder scroll games any race can join the imperial faction.

The devs have already stated that later in the game any character will have the ability to switch factions anyway, so this is just a quick way to start out with the faction you wish to join.

Gaining the imperial faction from the start doesn't give someone an advantage at all in end game because eventually everyone can be imperial if they want to. It's just a perk if you wish to use it.

Originally posted by rodarin

Its not a vanity item, it is a class. If it were a cloak or a set of armor that you wore on your whatever THAT would be a vanity item.

ITS NOT A CLASS  it is a RACE....  even your Class skills are more important then RACE SKILLS.....   I hope this can help clear up the misunderstandings you have.   

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    I could give a shite about all the imp stuff. I want to see a kikass Nord pre-order pack.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• srsnoobsrsnoob Member Posts: 44
    The problem is that they are charging extra to play as imperial. If the race is completed then it should just be available to everyone in the base game, especially since it is $60 with a subscription fee. There is no reason they should charge for it other than being greedy. If imperial was included for everyone nobody would really complain.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by joren

Imperial is not a race or a class. It's a faction just like Stormcloak is a faction in the game. If you've ever played any of the elder scroll games any race can join the imperial faction.

The devs have already stated that later in the game any character will have the ability to switch factions anyway, so this is just a quick way to start out with the faction you wish to join.

Gaining the imperial faction from the start doesn't give someone an advantage at all in end game because eventually everyone can be imperial if they want to. It's just a perk if you wish to use it.

Imperial is a race in Elder Scrolls games.  Always has been.

Originally posted by srsnoob
    The problem is that they are charging extra to play as imperial. If the race is completed then it should just be available to everyone in the base game, especially since it is $60 with a subscription fee. There is no reason they should charge for it other than being greedy. If imperial was included for everyone nobody would really complain.

Why should it be included?  Why should every single piece of content produced for a game be included with either the box sale or the subscription price?  Because that's how you want it to be?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

You have ACCESS to EVERYTHING IN GAME,    IF you think 1/10 races is so important and so powerful, then pay the 20 bucks, because its NOT!!!    let me repeat,   1 out of 10 races IS NOT WORTH 20 bucks.....

Roll an Imperial then with a standard pack...oh..by everything in game you mean everything apart from the stuff behind pay walls.  Gotcha ;p

A race is not worth £20, I agree, not for me (I could buy another game entirely for that or more than another 2 months).  Especially when also paying £50 for the game and a continuing £9 per month.  Especially on day 1 of release.  More so when this content was planned ahead of time and could have easily been shipped in the base game (because it will be in the base game data, you just won't be able to access it without an unlock).  Kudos to those it is worth it for though.

This discussion has been closed.