Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious about STO

jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104

I'm currently looking for a game that will tide me over until the latter portion of 2014, at which point I can get a chance to check out some of the new coming releases of this year.  No mean feat, a fact many of you can attest to. :)

I'm currently messing about with Rift.  Its not too bad, a well put-together game, a bit on the bland side, but it does many things well I have to say.  Not enough for a sub though, and it leaves me "wanting".

... I am curious about STO, but I am treading carefully mainly due to the parent company, PWI.  I have heard some unsavoury things about them.

I have, however, heard that the F2P model in STO is quite good, but I am curious if there is an aggressive and/or sneaky cash shop model, as with most PWI offerings. 

Being a Trekkie myself, I am also quite curious how true the game adheres to the Trek lore ?

I would appreciate hearing about any pros and cons to the game, that would most definitely shed some light on this product for me ...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by jimbobfurley
    I'm currently looking for a game that will tide me over until the latter portion of 2014, at which point I can get a chance to check out some of the new coming releases of this year.  No mean feat, a fact many of you can attest to. :)

I'm currently messing about with Rift.  Its not too bad, a well put-together game, a bit on the bland side, but it does many things well I have to say.  Not enough for a sub though, and it leaves me "wanting".

... I am curious about STO, but I am treading carefully mainly due to the parent company, PWI.  I have heard some unsavoury things about them.

I have, however, heard that the F2P model in STO is quite good, but I am curious if there is an aggressive and/or sneaky cash shop model, as with most PWI offerings. 

Being a Trekkie myself, I am also quite curious how true the game adheres to the Trek lore ?

I would appreciate hearing about any pros and cons to the game, that would most definitely shed some light on this product for me ...

Thanks in advance

I will say that STO has some great ship combat. In my opinion that is. I want to talk a lot about this game, but I fear I would just be spewing biased opinion. I would rather you go and watch some videos on YouTube with game play, and read some threads on the STO forums. Get the lay of the land before you commit a money or time investment.

I'm sorry for not offering much, but if you look up my post history, you will see the type of bias I have had.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

If you have free time for hard core grind it is f2p game for you,if you are  busy with RL,you ll must spend 50+$ monthly

I am old ST fan & for me it is more some action space sci fi game  than ST,if you are meet ST universe with JJ Abrams crapy moovies & last serial Enterprise you ll like that game as ST.There are playable cat peoples too.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

The game is very much free to play - all the playable content in the game is open to everyone without paying anything.  For the things you might want from the cash shop (and nothing in it is necessary), you earn dilithium as a currency by playing the game, which can be exchanged in-game for cash shop currency.

Given this, I'd recommend trying the game for yourself.  You really have nothing to lose, and you'll likely get at least some enjoyment out of it, whether or not you decide to play long-term.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Lol, I've just googled the differences between trekkie and trekker for an another thread (my previous post), hi there fellow trekkie :)

- f2p, if you're not an item hoarder / crafter, you'll probably won't bump into any restrictions during your way up to VA (vice admiral). After the level cap the store is still not agressive or sneaky, but if you want to parttake in the fleet grind then you'll need some spending - either cash or your time (you can get store currency with ingame farming)

Oh, and stay away from the lockboxes, those are PWE's gambling mechanic which is placed in every game of theirs. It's not sneaky either, just a plain cash-grab.

- Trek canon, STO is more or less following it for the new series, not much for TOS. The game is closer to the 2009 reboot movie sadly.

- pros and cons, Memory Alpha has a lengthy article about STO, read the Gameplay section, it's a nice summary:  http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Online

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339
    STO for me was fun when I played with a friend the entire time.  However, once we hit max level we stopped playing.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104

Thanks all for the replies .... I think I will truck on over to the STO forums for some info, as one poster recommended.  I did DL the game earlier this morning for the hell of it, and noticed curiously that it was < 10Gb.  Interesting.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    That's normal with Cryptic :) just checked, none of their games are above 8Gb. (I don't have the CoH client anymore, so I can't vouch for that)
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    You really do have nothing to lose ny downloading and giving it a shot. They practically give this game away now as you can play all the way to max level without paying anything.Just don't bother with the lockboxes as that is one of the ways they make their money as you have to purchase keys to open them. I found the ship combat to be the best part of the game as I use to love Starfleet Command and the combat is similiar. It's not bad for one play through but I found it pretty boring and frustrating with all the bugs.If you're just looking for something to tide you over until better options become available this game should be satisfactory for you.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    And don't expect anything from the customer service department