Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where will the thousands of Starwars Fans go now?

2»

Comments

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Sczen
    I feel your pain. Nothing is worse than putting in countless hours, only to have them stripped away.
    But then again... Vanguard comes out soon so you can come and join us!

Vanguard won't have much appeal for SWG players. SWG's end game was PVP for the most part. Vanguard has no pvp planned whatsoever. I'm interested in seeing how Vanguard does but without PVP? I don't think many SWG vets will be moving to it. Currently I don't even plan to try the beta. I've hit level XX in most MMO's out. All Vanguard is going to offer is yet another new venue to hit level XX in. Not my thing, never really was. But unfortunately level grinders are all that's out there. I keep waiting for the 'next UO' personally.

Till then: DAOC is my home and EVE is my spare time spot.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

Originally posted by Elnator
    I feel your pain. Nothing is worse than putting in countless hours, only to have them stripped away.

Vanguard won't have much appeal for SWG players. SWG's end game was PVP for the most part. Vanguard has no pvp planned whatsoever. I'm interested in seeing how Vanguard does but without PVP? I don't think many SWG vets will be moving to it. Currently I don't even plan to try the beta. I've hit level XX in most MMO's out. All Vanguard is going to offer is yet another new venue to hit level XX in. Not my thing, never really was. But unfortunately level grinders are all that's out there. I keep waiting for the 'next UO' personally.

To go off topic: Irth Online, Elnator.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

• ready2riotready2riot Member Posts: 32
    When Episodes I,II and III came out, their was a Star Wars convention somewhere in the world, where tons of Star Wars nerds reunite to celebrate the new movie.  If only they still had it...
  • pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

I agree. I to were in an amazing guild were people just left. The social aspect ruled it all. I havent has as much fun in a MMO ever as I had in SWG.

The combat always blowed. I mean..

But the thing about NGE that was the final straw for me is that they nerfed crafting. I am not even a crafter or never has been, but I'll say this - Crafting help made SWG come alive. They nerfed it and turned it into a one dimension WoW with quest, fast action combat. It was so clear that SWG wanted to be WoW in space.

But makes me sad is that the game was on the right track for a while. The implentation of player cities, mounts and vehicles was awesome.

It just went to hell the day Holocrons was released. Most of us didnt understood. We were just happy that we could be jedi. But thinking back I actually remember a few people saying that jedi would be the death of the game. Of course these people were flamed to death and the argument came up about starwars not being starwars without Jedahi and glowsticks. I was one of does people - One of does people who just wanted my own little darth maul.

Holocrons really put a huge blow into the community. AFK grinding was born. the entertainers vanished, people starting grinding like insane. Already at that time, many couldnt take it anymore.

Then when JTL came out it started looking better. SOE had managed to release an awesome expansions. one that was almost a different game. Being able to take a highly customizeable toon into space was amazing. Fighting against a star destroyer was amazing.

But already at this point it was too late. Population was flushed out to much. The game had become to big with all the player cities. Many ghost towns with few places were people meet. I remembered a few months back when I logged in in prime time and didnt saw one person in Coronet. I wanted to puke.

Really no matter what game I go to, I always end up horrible dissapointed. Really.

Nothing has been able to even come close to the thrill of making a city on my server... to have people from all over the galaxy to come to our uniqe placed cities with waterfalls, cloning center, statues, guild hall, mall and what not. People came to buy from our crafters. we helped fed them. I was a combat character.  A Martial artist with Creature handler skills and a little entertainer. Were I could play on my flute. I was not THAT powerful but I was a cool little half fat Rodian. Not some generic elf.

I helped my guildies to get resources. To get the things they needed. Because EVERYTHING needed to be crafted in SWG. No really good loot except for things to help build things. One of my good friends was a chef.. he made buffs. another was a droid engineer. Another was an architect who made player houses and furniture. Another was a weaponsmith. Another a armorsmith. Another a tailor. I mean...

SWG really felt like a MMO because there were some people doing there thing.

In other games you have people doing the same. No matter what class you play in WoW all you do is quest with combat as the activity.

In SWG you have people doing all this crazy stuff. Entertainers was just social. That was all there was to them. THis might sound stupid to some people but it had an incredible effect on the game. I remember the first time I went to Rori, and went into a cantina - To be greated by 15-20 nice entertainers. It was awesome. Had never experienced anything like that. Everyone was chatting..

Maybe it was because starwars was old that there was not any 12 year old ROFLcopters like in so many other games!

Also SWG was a very casual game. I maxed out my character in 1/10 of the time I did in WoW or guild wars. I mean... It was a grind because there were no quests, so you just killed things. But it didnt took that long. What was more interesting was mixing all your skill points. You really did feel uniqe and proud when you maxed out your character in some extreme way.

The graphics are still incredible almost 3 years later.

Some of you dudes talked about Vanguard. It's funny that you should say that. I was reading their FAQ a while ago and I thought it was interesting to see that many of them were SWG fans. Brad(the EQ guy) talks about the Sean Austin studio as gods.

I mean... Why did Q3PO had to leave? He was the best community manager ever. And this was Ralph koasters game... The legend from UO! I mean... As far as I know Ralph never wanted jedis in the game. I heard it was a Lucas Arts choice because it would double or triple the sales of the game.

Sometimes I really just want to re subscribe just walk around again in the world... hang out on the farstar-europe/eclipse boards and just talk to all the people again.

It doesnt matter what game I leave to, its always dissapointing me.

I tried EVE because I heard it had good crafting, graphics and role playing and community and econoomy. TO me it didnt hold a candle to the SWG I enjoyed.

I tried DAOC because I heard it was a matured game with better community, better character creation, better graphics. Again I didnt felt it holded a candle to SWG.

And I dont know how many currently Open Beta games from Korea and Japan I have tried... Im so fed up, sad and tired.

I doubt I will ever be able to enjoy another game again. Whats left for me now just seems to join the guild wars vs wow discussions and diss and hype these two popular games who aint doing jack for me!

SWG was overly ambitious. It strayed off from its starwars story which is a no no in an RPG. I hate more the fact that there are so many jedi because it doesnt work with the story, than they are overpowered and kills everything in their path.

Of course it has doomed SWG. You have tons of classes but make one extra hard to get class who can pwn them all in pvp. what outcome do you expect SOE? jesus.

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

I agree. I to were in an amazing guild were people just left. The social aspect ruled it all. I havent has as much fun in a MMO ever as I had in SWG.

The combat always blowed. I mean..

But the thing about NGE that was the final straw for me is that they nerfed crafting. I am not even a crafter or never has been, but I'll say this - Crafting help made SWG come alive. They nerfed it and turned it into a one dimension WoW with quest, fast action combat. It was so clear that SWG wanted to be WoW in space.

But makes me sad is that the game was on the right track for a while. The implentation of player cities, mounts and vehicles was awesome.

It just went to hell the day Holocrons was released. Most of us didnt understood. We were just happy that we could be jedi. But thinking back I actually remember a few people saying that jedi would be the death of the game. Of course these people were flamed to death and the argument came up about starwars not being starwars without Jedahi and glowsticks. I was one of does people - One of does people who just wanted my own little darth maul.

Holocrons really put a huge blow into the community. AFK grinding was born. the entertainers vanished, people starting grinding like insane. Already at that time, many couldnt take it anymore.

Then when JTL came out it started looking better. SOE had managed to release an awesome expansions. one that was almost a different game. Being able to take a highly customizeable toon into space was amazing. Fighting against a star destroyer was amazing.

But already at this point it was too late. Population was flushed out to much. The game had become to big with all the player cities. Many ghost towns with few places were people meet. I remembered a few months back when I logged in in prime time and didnt saw one person in Coronet. I wanted to puke.

Really no matter what game I go to, I always end up horrible dissapointed. Really.

Nothing has been able to even come close to the thrill of making a city on my server... to have people from all over the galaxy to come to our uniqe placed cities with waterfalls, cloning center, statues, guild hall, mall and what not. People came to buy from our crafters. we helped fed them. I was a combat character.  A Martial artist with Creature handler skills and a little entertainer. Were I could play on my flute. I was not THAT powerful but I was a cool little half fat Rodian. Not some generic elf.

I helped my guildies to get resources. To get the things they needed. Because EVERYTHING needed to be crafted in SWG. No really good loot except for things to help build things. One of my good friends was a chef.. he made buffs. another was a droid engineer. Another was an architect who made player houses and furniture. Another was a weaponsmith. Another a armorsmith. Another a tailor. I mean...

SWG really felt like a MMO because there were some people doing there thing.

In other games you have people doing the same. No matter what class you play in WoW all you do is quest with combat as the activity.

In SWG you have people doing all this crazy stuff. Entertainers was just social. That was all there was to them. THis might sound stupid to some people but it had an incredible effect on the game. I remember the first time I went to Rori, and went into a cantina - To be greated by 15-20 nice entertainers. It was awesome. Had never experienced anything like that. Everyone was chatting..

Maybe it was because starwars was old that there was not any 12 year old ROFLcopters like in so many other games!

Also SWG was a very casual game. I maxed out my character in 1/10 of the time I did in WoW or guild wars. I mean... It was a grind because there were no quests, so you just killed things. But it didnt took that long. What was more interesting was mixing all your skill points. You really did feel uniqe and proud when you maxed out your character in some extreme way.

The graphics are still incredible almost 3 years later.

Some of you dudes talked about Vanguard. It's funny that you should say that. I was reading their FAQ a while ago and I thought it was interesting to see that many of them were SWG fans. Brad(the EQ guy) talks about the Sean Austin studio as gods.

I mean... Why did Q3PO had to leave? He was the best community manager ever. And this was Ralph koasters game... The legend from UO! I mean... As far as I know Ralph never wanted jedis in the game. I heard it was a Lucas Arts choice because it would double or triple the sales of the game.

Sometimes I really just want to re subscribe just walk around again in the world... hang out on the farstar-europe/eclipse boards and just talk to all the people again.

It doesnt matter what game I leave to, its always dissapointing me.

I tried EVE because I heard it had good crafting, graphics and role playing and community and econoomy. TO me it didnt hold a candle to the SWG I enjoyed.

I tried DAOC because I heard it was a matured game with better community, better character creation, better graphics. Again I didnt felt it holded a candle to SWG.

And I dont know how many currently Open Beta games from Korea and Japan I have tried... Im so fed up, sad and tired.

I doubt I will ever be able to enjoy another game again. Whats left for me now just seems to join the guild wars vs wow discussions and diss and hype these two popular games who aint doing jack for me!

SWG was overly ambitious. It strayed off from its starwars story which is a no no in an RPG. I hate more the fact that there are so many jedi because it doesnt work with the story, than they are overpowered and kills everything in their path.

Of course it has doomed SWG. You have tons of classes but make one extra hard to get class who can pwn them all in pvp. what outcome do you expect SOE? jesus.

Originally posted by Darkchronic
    Originally posted by Elnator

Irth is currently VERY broken, or was when I tried it in the last days of beta. And the free trial is a joke. Till they release a REAL free trial that doesn't wipe every 48 hours I won't be trying it.

Irth Online Trial information
    IRTH ONLINE TRIAL ACCOUNT APPLICATION :

Not sure if Irth Online is for you? You can apply for a trial account!

Trial Accounts are restricted as follows:

- All Chars on the account are wiped every 48 hours.

-You can only play an Avarian Non-PVP Char.

Trial Accounts will start to go out November 1, 2005.

Let's see
    Char wiped every 48 RL Hours... LAME
    Only NON PVP ... LAME

Exactly how do you 'try' the game when almost every feature is disabled and your char is wiped 48 hours after you make it?

Total crap.

Sig image Pending

• DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

[quote]Originally posted by Elnator

[edited for smallness]

[/b][/quote]

Irth is currently VERY broken, or was when I tried it in the last days of beta. And the free trial is a joke. Till they release a REAL free trial that doesn't wipe every 48 hours I won't be trying it.[/b][/quote]

Ok, the trial sucks, but the idea is that the game improves incredibly regularly, (patches every few days) so that in a few months, you can re-download Irth, get patched, create a new character, and boom, vastly improved game since last time, without having to create a new account. In regard to the broken, Irth isn't anymore, I played it in beta, and I thought it was a horribly retarded joke for an MMO that was worse than Runescape. But the game has improved amazingly, just try it. It is the same game it was in beta, but it's a lot better.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

Originally posted by Darkchronic
    Ok, the trial sucks, but the idea is that the game improves incredibly regularly, (patches every few days) so that in a few months, you can re-download Irth, get patched, create a new character, and boom, vastly improved game since last time, without having to create a new account. In regard to the broken, Irth isn't anymore, I played it in beta, and I thought it was a horribly retarded joke for an MMO that was worse than Runescape. But the game has improved amazingly, just try it. It is the same game it was in beta, but it's a lot better.

I'm sorry.....
    I can't try it before I buy it. Thus I will not buy it. It's a very simple rule I have. If I cannot try enough of the game to form a realistic expectation of what it will be like then I will not purchase that game. A 48 hour (RL hours, not /played hours) trial is NOT a realistic view of the game. Furthermore the account is limited to PVE only when I'm specifically looking at the PVP aspect of the game.

I live by this rule:
    Try BEFORE you buy. Always.

If I can't try it and see that the issues I saw with it in Beta are fixed there is no way on this earth that I will pay them money for it. A 48 hour trial alone tells me 1 thing: This game still isn't ready. If it were ready they'd have no reason to make the trial so limited.

Sig image Pending