Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Not Come Back For GSF

I want to start off on the note that this game has plenty of other good things going for it.  SWTOR does a lot of things right.  Galactic Starfighter is NOT one of them.

If you view it as a small diversion from normal gameplay to waste a little time, you might enjoy it.  If you're looking for something that will satisfy your X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter nostalgia, this is not it.

This is one of the most unbalanced games I have ever played.  Matches consistently end with one team winning (1000 points) and the losing team having less than 100.   If you have a premade group, because there is no matchmaker to sort out pugs and premades, you will dominate the battlefield.  If you're a pug, you may as well just kamikaze into one of the satelites and hope you don't get fried by one of the 10 gunships waiting to one shot you before you can even get there.  

To top it off, when you're new, you'll be competing against people who have a drastic advantage over you.  Yes, skill counts for something in GSF, but gear counts for more.  So be prepared to get slaughtered match after match before you'll have enough requisition to compete.

Before you all jump on me and claim I'm just flaming because I must suck at it, I've been on both sides of the one sided matches.  I've been the slaughterer and the slaughteree.  And by the way, being on the winning side of a massacre is just as boring as being on the losing side.  What's uncommon is to actually be in a close match.

To sum up, if you already like SWTOR and view GSF as a casual way to vary your gameplay from time to time, this is for you.  If you're thinking of returning hoping to see an awesome Star Wars space combat game, save yourself the time and keep looking elsewhere.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    If what your'e saying is true it sounds like these people have never heard of world of tanks/war thunder. Not sure how you can copy that style of fighting/matching without understanding why it works so well.
  • hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Yes geared ships vs non- gears ships is a big difference. Gunships are easy to kill you have to get up close to them. Just don't give up take your lumps as you develop your ship. Make friends and fly with them. 

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Oh the blasphemy of Bioware. How dare they make good gear a factor in PvP? How dare they give a progression for PvP'ing in the game? Has anyone ever heard of such incompetence ever in a MMO? Giving players a reason to progress and people who play for longer time having an advantage over players who joined in? Who does that ever? This game sucks.

• Epierce41Epierce41 Member Posts: 23
    Gear progression is fine. But you need to balance it at least a little bit so people with better gear are matched against similar opponents. Otherwise you get heavily lopsided battles where neither the winner nor the loser has much fun. The point is that close matches are more fun for everyone and the current state of GSF makes finding a close match extremely rare.

Imagine a warzone where you have a team of lvl 10-20's vs a team of lvl 55's. How do you think that match would end? That's many matches of GSF right now.
  • XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359
    At least the matches end quickly regardless of which team you're on.   I can attest that many matches seem quite unbalanced but I have been enjoying myself which is why I play games.    I also find the ship upgrades to be quite an enjoyable progression system.   
  • DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346

I think the real problem with GSF is how horribly bad it is.

They have good customization and a fair amount of ships. However that can't save it from the horrible combat.

I love space and sci-fi. I loved Wing Commander, Freespace 2 and X-wing vs Tie fighter . This is the most disappointing space combat I have ever played. The mini space game is better than this.

You don't even really seem to be flying unless you push space. It's like you are in a hot air balloon. You seem to be travelling at 5km/hr. I don't have any idea wtf they were thinking when designing this. I don't understand how someone didn't tell them how bad this is.

Maybe the engine just can't handle space flight. That would be fine. I just can't fathom why they wasted so much time on this turd.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Yet there are entire guilds of players who have returned to the game for, and now only play, GSF...go figure.

Its funny, anytime there is a press release stating just how well SWTOR is doing now, MMORPG.com blows up with "stay away at all costs" threads lol. The same thing goes with WoW and a few others. I guess that's human nature when your personal MMO of choice isn't doing so well...