Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS1/PS2 Games Coming to PS4 Via Emulation

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps1-ps2-games-heading-to-ps4

Backwards compatibility is coming to PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Now is only part of the story. A well-placed source working with Sony's streaming service reveals that only PlayStation 3 titles are currently scheduled to use the "gameplay over IP" cloud service. PS1 and PS2 titles are set to follow the more conventional route of running locally under emulation on Sony's latest console - but with the possibility of HD visual enhancements.

Comments

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    I vaguely remember PS3 being unable to play a ton of PS1 / PS2 titles before some firmware update so I'm glad they're focusing on this sooner than later.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot
    I vaguely remember PS3 being unable to play a ton of PS1 / PS2 titles before some firmware update so I'm glad they're focusing on this sooner than later.

Yea I would love to play xenogears and xenosaga again in HD and tons of other games.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

another news item

PlayStation Vita Slim to launch in UK next week

The thinner, lighter version of Sony's latest PlayStation handheld is coming to Europe and the US with a range of colours and a new price point – but purists may not like the new screen

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/30/vita-slim-to-launch-in-uk-next-week

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The PS3 has enough "horsepower" to emulate PS1 games, but in order to do the same for PS2 games it needed special hardware. The "original" PS3 was backwards compatible with the PS2 because it that special hardware to allow it to do so. That was removed in later editions (Slim, etc) because it added to the cost significantly, and sales were very tepid compared to the other 2 major consoles.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the PS4 has enough power to straight emulate PS1/PS2 with enough performance without any sort of streaming service. It could probably come really close on PS3, but the architectures are so different it would be surprising if there weren't a lot of glaring exceptions.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

This is truly a major selling point for the PS4 for me, and why I'll most likely get one later on this year (once more titles are available). The height of my single player RPG era was based around the games that were available on the PS1. There was a multitude of great rpg titles on that system. The Squaresoft library alone makes it worthwhile, but then add in other greats and you're making money off the nostalgia train.