Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have no fear everyone, our classic EQ experience is coming!

Our days of fake MMORPG's are over, classic EQ is coming back! Gone are the days of meaningless progression, preschool themeparks and no risk for reward. The shining example of innovation and a classic D&D MMO feel is upon us.

 

This preview gave me veteran RPG gamer goosebumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-n6eomRR0

Comments

  • SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm not sure if the video is showcasing actual gameplay physics or just someone spamming the jump button with a flip and tumble animation. I mean would your character trip and fall on his face if you didn't jump?

    image
    Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

    Yeah, nothing says "old-school" like a lame parkour video.  

     

  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 7,366
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

    Our days of fake MMORPG's are over, classic EQ is coming back! Gone are the days of meaningless progression, preschool themeparks and no risk for reward. The shining example of innovation and a classic D&D MMO feel is upon us.

     

    This preview gave me veteran RPG gamer goosebumps.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-n6eomRR0

    this can only be /sarcasm

  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,114
    While EQN and Landmark have some great stuff in them if your expecting Classic EQ prepare to be disappointed.

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer



  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    this thread made me lol
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

    Our days of fake MMORPG's are over, classic EQ is coming back! Gone are the days of meaningless progression, preschool themeparks and no risk for reward. The shining example of innovation and a classic D&D MMO feel is upon us.

     

    This preview gave me veteran RPG gamer goosebumps.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-n6eomRR0

    this can only be /sarcasm

    LOL thats what i was thinking

    image

  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by nilden
    While EQN and Landmark have some great stuff in them if your expecting Classic EQ prepare to be disappointed.

    It's like wanting to play vanilla WoW as it truly was without the rose colored glasses.

     

    NO!

  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

    Seems like a good place to put this, enjoy:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsrLYSvrLb4

  • captainamazing57captainamazing57 Member UncommonPosts: 91

    EQ Next looks like Kiddiesville to me. I just cant get past those "Kerra" models as an example.They look like a Disney movie character.

    Why the %^&* couldn't they make the models like EQ2. A modern EQ sandbox RPG  for mature gamers would have gone gangbusters.  SOE execs are clueless.

  • captainamazing57captainamazing57 Member UncommonPosts: 91

    And another thing. Who really cares that you can blow up the world. Just another kiddies feature in my book.

    I loved EQ1 and EQ2. EQ Next just looks lame.

  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Dirty_Fish

    And another thing. Who really cares that you can blow up the world. Just another kiddies feature in my book.

    I loved EQ1 and EQ2. EQ Next just looks lame.

    Have you invested yet?

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

    image

    Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Dirty_Fish

    EQ Next looks like Kiddiesville to me. I just cant get past those "Kerra" models as an example.They look like a Disney movie character.

    Why the %^&* couldn't they make the models like EQ2. A modern EQ sandbox RPG  for mature gamers would have gone gangbusters.  SOE execs are clueless.

    And they told us on the EQ2 forums that wasn't going to be the look, too. :(

     

    Don't want an anime Barbarian, I like my toon as a real looking one.

     

  • PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 263

    IF there is no corpse run, expensive resurrection, costly quick travel from remote parts, massive trains that will wipe huge groups, vast open areas to traverse to reach one small opening to the next zone, and over 20 expansions... it wont be a classic EQ anything!!!!

     

    And I did play back from before day 1 on live, I alpha / beta / launched EQ from mid 1998. No other game has come close except the almighty of MMOs and we all know what that was.


    [mod edit]

    image
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,103
    Originally posted by Tredo

    IF there is no corpse run, expensive resurrection, costly quick travel from remote parts, massive trains that will wipe huge groups, vast open areas to traverse to reach one small opening to the next zone, and over 20 expansions... it wont be a classic EQ anything!!!!

     

    And I did play back from before day 1 on live, I alpha / beta / launched EQ from mid 1998. No other game has come close except the almighty of MMOs and we all know what that was.

     [mod edit]

    Those were the exact reasons I chose Asheron's Call as my first MMO.  All these things do nothing but add tedium and boredom to a game but hey if you like it that's fine but your way isn't the only way.

    Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

    Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

    Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

    image

  • SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris
    Originally posted by Dirty_Fish

    EQ Next looks like Kiddiesville to me. I just cant get past those "Kerra" models as an example.They look like a Disney movie character.

    Why the %^&* couldn't they make the models like EQ2. A modern EQ sandbox RPG  for mature gamers would have gone gangbusters.  SOE execs are clueless.

    And they told us on the EQ2 forums that wasn't going to be the look, too. :(

     

    Don't want an anime Barbarian, I like my toon as a real looking one.

     

     

    "b-b-but it works for WoW", said the guys at SOE

    image
    Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

  • Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

    Our days of fake MMORPG's are over, classic EQ is coming back! Gone are the days of meaningless progression, preschool themeparks and no risk for reward. The shining example of innovation and a classic D&D MMO feel is upon us.

     

    This preview gave me veteran RPG gamer goosebumps.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-n6eomRR0

     

    Are you joking? Is this a troll or is he serious?

    It is worth mentioning that video was not EQN, that was EQN:Landmark. You have not seen EQN yet because it likely is not even viewable yet.

    Lets look at that classic D&D experience, no vertical progression, that means no experience point for level gain. That is a foundational pillar of RPG systems including D&D, that is not included in EQN. Also, classic EQ was very much veritcal progression, xp, and level based, and we seem to both agree that it rocked.

    Shining example of innovation, alright it does sound that way, but what lesson did we learn from GW2? Wait and see, because companies lie and far under deliver.

    Also, we have no idea of the difficulty of EQN or if there will be any real death penalty. My guess is that there will be no significant death penalty worth mentioning, and that will greatly decrease any risk.

    So basically... your entire post is unfounded.

    I am hopeful for EQN as well, as you can tell by my avatar I'm a huge EQ fan, but I have just been burned to many times at this point. I will need to see the goods first.

     

  • Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by captainamazing57

    EQ Next looks like Kiddiesville to me. I just cant get past those "Kerra" models as an example.They look like a Disney movie character.

    Why the %^&* couldn't they make the models like EQ2. A modern EQ sandbox RPG  for mature gamers would have gone gangbusters.  SOE execs are clueless.

    I actually prefer the look of EQN over EQ2 or more "realistic" AKA washed out, bland, colorless graphics that you seem to like. Given how many people played WoW, I can safely say that stylized graphics are just fine for the MMO industry, and I would even say that EQ1s graphics were more closely related to stylized then realistic. EQN reminds me more of EQ1 then EQ2 in terms of graphics style.

    Sure, there is a market for your boring bland graphics, you have ESO. However, It seems that a large, probably majority, of the MMO market like stylized graphics, and for good reason.

  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,825
    Originally posted by Braindome

    Seems like a good place to put this, enjoy:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsrLYSvrLb4

    Thanks... I'll never look at ArcheAge in the same way ever again. 

    My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

    https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

  • SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    I'm personally interested in the "no leveling, no grinding" system they're purporting to deliver.

    image
    Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

  • plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    sweet I can't wait to get back into Blackburrow and bust some gnoll heads

    image
    Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

Sign In or Register to comment.