Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Smedley during interview today: "SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED T

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by kilun
    Originally posted by wilq
    Sorry Smed but i think Repopulation will give me more SWG feel than you can.

So to burst your bubble, but the Repopulation will be a total bust for almost all SWG players.  It has some features, but then goes all hardcore with its PVP.  It will not be anything like SWG.  Until I see a working economy in a game that has many social features, its another Earthrise, insert other games recently that have said what they intend to be like.

Says the one guy, seriously though... you haven't a clue because what you said is complete BS. There is normal servers do your homework and it is exactly like SWG since it has half the devs...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by MMOBlogger

I'm VERY confused. I mean TONS of people are like "OMG! Its back! SWG was the best game ever! I cant wait!"

Like please people, SWG was shut down due to not enough income to support the game, the Publisher & Developer both agreed that it was time to close it. 

"The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game," -IGN, PCMag, An there official statement 

So Its either You dont truely love something till its gone, or alot of you are imposters lol

If you believe official PR all the time, you will have some very rude awakenings.   This was all LucasArt clearing the way for the new MMO on the block.

I'm no great fan of SWG, but it had some good elements, and was still making them a profit. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Betaguy

So to burst your bubble, but the Repopulation will be a total bust for almost all SWG players.  It has some features, but then goes all hardcore with its PVP.  It will not be anything like SWG.  Until I see a working economy in a game that has many social features, its another Earthrise, insert other games recently that have said what they intend to be like.

Says the one guy, seriously though... you haven't a clue because what you said is complete BS. There is normal servers do your homework and it is exactly like SWG since it has half the devs...

kind of curious, but what parts of the Repop are you saying is exactly like SWG, because i havent seen it, and just for the moment ignoring the whole game engine issue, the game is based on PvP, which SWG oddly enough was not, so unless its possible to be neutral in Repop where nobody can attack you, which is something the crafter community in SWG and probably the entertainer one too, almost certainly was, then thats a very definite difference. As for the dev's comment, unless they were the ones there during the creation of SWG, rather than post launch, then its a meaningless comment.image

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Betaguy

kind of curious, but what parts of the Repop are you saying is exactly like SWG, because i havent seen it, and just for the moment ignoring the whole game engine issue, the game is based on PvP, which SWG oddly enough was not, so unless its possible to be neutral in Repop where nobody can attack you, which is something the crafter community in SWG and probably the entertainer one too, almost certainly was, then thats a very definite difference. As for the dev's comment, unless they were the ones there during the creation of SWG, rather than post launch, then its a meaningless comment.image

I was taken in by all the talk of the Repopulation being like SWG too. leading to me pledging $100 towards the project back in 2012. I've realised since it was a big mistake as it won't be much like SWG at all.

It's true, the devs have said the crafting, economy and trading is heavily influenced by the systems in SWG and Vanguard. It will also have player cities, vehicles, shops and vendors. Unfortunately, then comes the big BUT.....................

All this is negated for PvE players as they only have access to a third of the the world if they want to avoid PvP. There is no flagging system as SWG had, so the only way to avoid PvP is to stay in your nations home area. If you are a PvE player looking forward to having a player city, open world home, player owned shop and vendors as a PvE player, you are out of luck as these are only available in the contested (PvP) areas. Instead, PvE players are offered some crumbs with instanced housing and some kind of auction house/ work order system for selling their crafted goods.

This all on the normal server. There is no PvE server. There IS going to be a hardcore server though with no safe areas at all.

Devs having previously worked on SWG? I've not seen that claimed on the official site, although I can't say definitively that it's not true. I do know some of the main people have said they never played SWG though and the games that are more often mentioned are Ultima online and Shadowbane.

From what I remember from my times in SWG, the majority of the players were mainly interested in the PVE aspects. Those people are going to be sorely disappointed if they start to play the Repopulation. I don't see many of them staying around for long if the game launches as it's designed now. I regard the money I pledged as money wasted and a lesson to do more research before falling for the hype in future. I have recently also pledged money to EQNL though, so I hope this proves to be a better choice that leads to EQN being more to my liking and who knows, this mystery MMO from SOE too?

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

there is little reason to get excited.

and here's why:

soe's and smedley's philosophy have not changed: they are in it for the money - not to create a great game. 

in other words - they do not view their games as an opportunity to cash in by making them as good as they can be, but rather develop their games to suit their monetary needs and expectations. 

if anything that closely resembles SWG: Pre-Cu makes it to beta, once Smedley and his minions get their hand on it they will scream at the lack of cash-shops, the time sinks, the "complexity" and the "too much thinking". 

i can already hear smedley's voice in my head: "this is all very nice but put in the double-xp buffs in there somewhere. $1.99 each will do for now. oh and i love the player housing! lets rent the lots. $3.99 for a small house a month will do nicely... ugh but the players wont interact with other players for a month to unlock this profession - they'll get bored beforehand! let's make a robot companion that accepts stims, buffs, and listens to your instrument as well as buys merchandise off you to keep the solo players happy! its so iconic too! people will love it."

and even if it doesn't come to that, here is what will happen next:

SWG Forums, day 12:

"where are the litesaborz!!!11!!!"

"TKA is OP!!!111!!! my scout lost 50/50 duels i rage qu1t!!!!!111!"

"the smuggler is nerfed! i like to make money crafting and selling stims but i also want to p0wn bounty hunterz!11!"

"so i just sit there and craft???"

to this, SOE will reply:

calm down, we've heard you - our professions are all boring and unbalanced. NGE its on its way. please keep payi... ehm playing. 

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Originally posted by Obraik
    It would appear that he also confirmed that it was a LucasArts decision to shut down SWG: http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/cey5xki

That quote is out of context and about ANOTHER game. 

Start at the post he was responding to - 

Original Comment That Smed Was Responding To

Smed was talking about Vanguard. And if you think that it correlates to SWG - then it would have also applied to several other titles they were pushing at the time. No Vanguard was pretty much DOA from the start with the help of Brad McQuaid who sopped up the funds and then dumped it into SOE's lap.

As for Smed, anything that man has to say should be taken with a pound of salt, a lie detector and with your wallet safely tucked away. The fact that he and SOE destroyed the community and ultimately the game and then has the gravitas to dedicate a new title to us (be it PreCu or NGE vets) is an obvious sign that he doesn't understand the scale of damage they have done to their reputation. Even IF he comes up with a system and setting that is perfect to vets - how long do you think it will remain perfect? Their track record with bugs, profession balance and content is god awful. We would exhaust content, exploit the bugs and wait... and wait. 

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

I'm VERY confused. I mean TONS of people are like "OMG! Its back! SWG was the best game ever! I cant wait!"

Like please people, SWG was shut down due to not enough income to support the game, the Publisher & Developer both agreed that it was time to close it. 

"The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game," -IGN, PCMag, An there official statement 

So Its either You dont truely love something till its gone, or alot of you are imposters lol

That quote does not imply that it was shutdown because it wasn't making money.  SWG was doing much better than Vanguard was and yet that survived an extra two and a bit years.  it was only shutdown because LucasArts didn't want two MMOs anymore and figured TOR was the next big MMO. It was not... 

nonsense. SOE did not want to renew the licensing fees. they hinted as much if not admitting it outright later on. 

the contract was up, SOE did the math and it didn't add up. since they had the IP on vanguard: soh, they could keep it alive with just 2 employees (and that is exactly what they did). 

LucasArts and all you NGE lovers thought TOR was the next big thing. people with some grey matter in their head who prefer a more in-depth gameplay knew what was coming. how you never stopped to consider that the game ended at the end of your personal quest is telling, but not surprising. the game launched and Bioware still hadn't answered questions as to what people were supposed to do once they capped their level. 

and i am not saying this now. i have my posting history here and elsewhere to back me up. 

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by doodphace

".....you can come home now"

Who can....the 250k peak players, or the 10k it had in 2006?

Yet, today, there are a ton of "OMG wow-killer" MMOs that would kill for 250K players.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Yet, today, there are a ton of "OMG wow-killer" MMOs that would kill for 250K players.

Rift, SWTOR, AoC, TSW, they'd love to have 250k, I'm sure.

In almost every poll on this website, SWG gets the most love. There's a lot of people who want it back. A lot.

• widginwidgin Member UncommonPosts: 11

I've been searching the interweb for info as Smedley said it's out there.

Only thing I came up with was that SOE filed a trademark on January 10, 2014 for an online game.

H1Z1.

http://www.trademarks411.com/trademark-search?c=&gs=&ic=&ld=&logo=&o=Sony+Online+Entertainment&oa=&page=2&q=&sort=&x=18&y=25

Don't see how zombies / infected would make former SWG players "come home".

I'm sure more speculation will turn up at some point.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

That quote does not imply that it was shutdown because it wasn't making money.  SWG was doing much better than Vanguard was and yet that survived an extra two and a bit years.  it was only shutdown because LucasArts didn't want two MMOs anymore and figured TOR was the next big MMO. It was not... 

SWTOR at its worst (just prior to the F2P move) was still bigger than SWG at its peak...so ya, totally confused as to why you are implying that LA made the wrong choice.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Rift, SWTOR, AoC, TSW, they'd love to have 250k, I'm sure.

In almost every poll on this website, SWG gets the most love. There's a lot of people who want it back. A lot.

Umm...did you reallllly just imply that SWTOR has less than 250k players? Do you live under a rock, or did you intentially try to imply that SWTOR was doing worse than it actually is? lol

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Troneas

there is little reason to get excited.

and here's why:

soe's and smedley's philosophy have not changed: they are in it for the money - not to create a great game. 

in other words - they do not view their games as an opportunity to cash in by making them as good as they can be, but rather develop their games to suit their monetary needs and expectations. 

if anything that closely resembles SWG: Pre-Cu makes it to beta, once Smedley and his minions get their hand on it they will scream at the lack of cash-shops, the time sinks, the "complexity" and the "too much thinking". 

i can already hear smedley's voice in my head: "this is all very nice but put in the double-xp buffs in there somewhere. $1.99 each will do for now. oh and i love the player housing! lets rent the lots. $3.99 for a small house a month will do nicely... ugh but the players wont interact with other players for a month to unlock this profession - they'll get bored beforehand! let's make a robot companion that accepts stims, buffs, and listens to your instrument as well as buys merchandise off you to keep the solo players happy! its so iconic too! people will love it."

and even if it doesn't come to that, here is what will happen next:

SWG Forums, day 12:

"where are the litesaborz!!!11!!!"

"TKA is OP!!!111!!! my scout lost 50/50 duels i rage qu1t!!!!!111!"

"the smuggler is nerfed! i like to make money crafting and selling stims but i also want to p0wn bounty hunterz!11!"

"so i just sit there and craft???"

to this, SOE will reply:

calm down, we've heard you - our professions are all boring and unbalanced. NGE its on its way. please keep payi... ehm playing. 

Do you honestly believe that Smedley and all the other execs at SOE would have nothing to do with decisions on a game up until the point that it's ready to be released and thus "rage that there's no money shops"?   If they're spending money developing a game they'll be involved right from the beginning, before any code is written.

nonsense. SOE did not want to renew the licensing fees. they hinted as much if not admitting it outright later on. 

the contract was up, SOE did the math and it didn't add up. since they had the IP on vanguard: soh, they could keep it alive with just 2 employees (and that is exactly what they did). 

LucasArts and all you NGE lovers thought TOR was the next big thing. people with some grey matter in their head who prefer a more in-depth gameplay knew what was coming. how you never stopped to consider that the game ended at the end of your personal quest is telling, but not surprising. the game launched and Bioware still hadn't answered questions as to what people were supposed to do once they capped their level. 

and i am not saying this now. i have my posting history here and elsewhere to back me up. 

You're right, Vanguard was a cheaper game to run.  However, why is this only SOE's fault?  Why isn't LucasArts to blame for not making a better license deal give the circumstances that were inplace for SWG at that time?

I was never a fan of TOR.  I tried it for a week after SWG shutdown and I immediatly knew that it was not the game for me.  For some reason, people such as yourself like to say TOR and the NGE are the same.  The NGE was LucasArts' attempts to turn SWG into a TOR like game but thankfully, they didn't remove enough of the sandbox to succeed at that.  Eventually they gave up on that idea and more sandbox items were added back into the game.  Profession wise, it wasn't as sandboxy as it was at launch but overall, bar EvE, SWG was the most sandbox game at the time that it shutdown.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

It's nice to see so many old names pop-up. MMORPG.COM is going to see a nice uptick in ad sales this month. ( ' ;

Even if Smedley is being truthful, the fact that he couldn't put anything behind the comment "swg players - our next game..." makes it meaningless and an effective distractor from the other bad news as someone else pointed out. This mysterious game for much of the hypothesizing going on may never materialize and most will never be the wiser for it. 

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

Complete bullshit.  Smed was playing to the audience.  Smed knew exactly which game that questioner was fishing for and he gave a response designed to stimulate interest.  There will be no SWG relaunch, no launch of anything close to SWG and Smed knows this to be true on both counts.

I hope I am wrong.  But I am not.  I never am.  It's a curse.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

I was told by someone that when TOR was in development Bioware offered Lucasarts 20% more for in licensing fees, LA thought well if they are giving us more money, were going to SOE  and ask them for the same Bioware is giving us SOE declined, (as you stated the math didnt add up) SOE tried to negoitate Lucasarts wouldn't budge, fast forward to the annoucement of the closing of SWG and the rest is history. The game was making a profit, Lucasarts just got greedy and were without a home, but in the end Lucasarts was bought out by Disney and most of the is gone now.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by khellus
    EA signed a 10 year license for all star wars games with Disney. So I doubt it will be Star wars.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-06/electronic-arts-gets-star-wars-game-license-from-disney.html

Thats not  exactly accurate...

Disney will “retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories,”

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

Mr smedly is too late..besides i dont think that the old SWG players will ever trust him with money..

Repopulation is going to be the bomb. Smedley is still in his cave with pen and paper

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    is it not star wars battlefront that is coming,the repopulation I will play I needs some sci-fi and all developers out there don't do what ESO is doing with pay to win and exclusive races please.
  • ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

I got my crystal balls out here!

Personally I think It will happen, There's too much money to make from the cash shop.. Thier Planetside 2 engine Forgelight!, Take it, expand the planet numbers, Construct the terrains, Ice, Sand..Forest..Esamir, Indar, Hossin.. Name the planets, Hoth, Tattoine and Endor, Easy to go on.. Place landmarks, Put back in good old SWG craft system and classes and off yee go...

Cash shop for aesthetics, mounts, the usual..

Will happen. They know theres a ton of old SWG fans out there screaming for it and willing to part with hard earned pennies. Hell, I've played planetside 2 for a year off and on and paid for what I rekon is about £50's worth of cash stuff that I initially thought I would never buy or want.

Will happen... As yoda would say. "Money think of you must.. yeeaaas"

Eli

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Elijarh

This alone means that it will be a far cry from SWG.  Half of the economy was based around "aesthetics, mounts, the usual," because these things were player crafted.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

From Smed's Twitter, these are supposedly screenshots from it

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfLjzQACIAAlbEY.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfLj1PlCYAAwRgS.jpg

The Twitter posts:

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/428655384299974656/photo/1

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/428655418487758848/photo/1

I see the word "CASH" in the background. I think it's a hint ;)

• EugeneKDudleyEugeneKDudley Member Posts: 58
    I'm very proud to have played SWG fresh out of release, remember running everywhere and various floating tree's. but I'm afraid as much as this is tempting, it was one of those games you can't replicate unless you have a hot tub time machine. TBH if smed delivered and made the back story about firefly universe, I would be pleased to try it then, I would have to pass for now until something that is not zombie related is or hinted at is trotted out.

"By all means, reach for the stars but you need to build the spaceship first"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

Originally posted by Elijarh

This alone means that it will be a far cry from SWG.  Half of the economy was based around "aesthetics, mounts, the usual," because these things were player crafted.

Exactly. A cash shop would never work in the old game because there were so many player shops available for whatever you needed.If you knew how to network you could get decent rates.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft