Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aura Kingdom, the suprise hit of 2014

WarwicklionWarwicklion Member UncommonPosts: 15
By hit, I am not talking Guild Wars 2 numbers and I am sure both ESO and Wildstar will draw in more players. But in terms of exceeding expectations, this game qualifies. It is Aeria Games biggest launch yet, has added a third server and will probably add a fourth soon. For a game which only opened a website in October and which most people were unaware of till the end of November when Founder's Packs went on sale it has seemingly come from no where. Even though it was first released in else where, less than a month from closed beta to release must be a record. The game has been knocked for a lack of inovation, however if inovation was as important as everyone says then The Secret World should be one of the top five MMORPGs. The games 2 bigest strengths are graphics and polish. It is aimed at the more causal players which I believe are now the clear majority, Wizard 101 for favorite game. Casual gamers are under represented on forums because they would rather use their limited free time playing rather than trolling forums.

Comments

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by Warwicklion
    Casual gamers are under represented on forums because they would rather use their limited free time playing rather than trolling forums.

wait you mean there's people out there who play MMOs and don't sit here bickering about F2P vs B2P and the "impending doom of the MMO industry" all day?

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot
    Casual gamers are under represented on forums because they would rather use their limited free time playing rather than trolling forums.

wait you mean there's people out there who play MMOs and don't sit here bickering about F2P vs B2P and the "impending doom of the MMO industry" all day?

As hard as this is to imagine, yes.  There are also tons and tons of people who don't think they know how to build and run MMORPGs better than the people who are currently building and running MMORPGs.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

New account, one post, promoting the game that's been running a full page ad for the last month calling it a surprise hit!

How much does a shill get paid these days ?

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Ooo that's what a paid forum advertisement looks like when they can't use standard formating tags.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    ... if inovation was as important as everyone says then The Secret World should be one of the top five MMORPGs.

Errr... it isn't?

:)

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

That's exactly what I ment, hence the smiley in the end :)

As for AK, I haven't dabbled into it deeply, so far it looks like a usual (but more polished than the average) Aeria one. I'm curious where the pet system will get me.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot

As hard as this is to imagine, yes.  There are also tons and tons of people who don't think they know how to build and run MMORPGs better than the people who are currently building and running MMORPGs.

Now I KNOW you are making things up... There can't be very many people who aren't arm chair developers (out side of Asia) these days... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    ... if inovation was as important as everyone says then The Secret World should be one of the top five MMORPGs.

Errr... it isn't?

:)

For quality of quests then sure it is, but regarding popularity, no way. It might be in the top 10, barely. It has a very focused and niche following, but not really a large one.

----------------------------

And Aura Kingdom is pretty fun. It's a decent game and has added servers. Ask your mmo to advertise for crying out loud.

Innovation only takes you half way through sadly. Also need pretty storng core mechanics and that was where TSW fell short... loved going through the storyline in that game, but everything else just felt clunky. 

Now as for AK. Personally found it bit uninspired and shallow at least at this stage, plus I don't really get the whole craze of Eidolons or any other form of universal battle pets in all those MMOs. They don't really add anything other than clutter to the gameplay. Again, would prefer more polished core of the game over a floaty thing that tags along and serves as buff bot/dot. 

• kinnygkinnyg Member UncommonPosts: 15
    i would be playing this game but it fucks my resolution so bad  that my monitor starts flickering.

• WarwicklionWarwicklion Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I am not a shill. Running banner ads does not ensure success.  The games popularity does show the strength of the casual segment of the market.
  • FearTHeFroFearTHeFro Member UncommonPosts: 76

The game has something a lot of newer mmos that I played didn't have, a fun factor. I played final fantasy xiv and even though that game had a lot more to offer, I still found myself bored at max level and eventually just stopped playing. But so far with this game I hit max level a few days ago and am still having a blast.

I think the game leaves a lot to be desired though, theres not really any raids at the moment, all the content is extremely easy (people literally pull the entire dungeon and can tank everything), a lot of the content is blocked by annoying time restrictions. Can only enter pvp every couple hours.l

Aura kingdom has potential to be a really  great game for hardcore players and casual players, but at the moment I'd say its mostly a casual players game. I hope they will add some raids/more pvp modes and less restriction on the pvp modes and then I think it will attract a lot more players.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by DamonVile

New account, one post, promoting the game that's been running a full page ad for the last month calling it a surprise hit!

How much does a shill get paid these days ?

Shhh! They don't realize yet that its blantenly obvious with rediculously low post counts that its obvious they are being paid to advertise for a game (whether one of the people running it or someone hired off the side). Don't make them get smart and realize that its a dead giveaway from posts alone without having to read the post to tell they are doing it since they get something out of it! I don't want to have to actually read the posts to find out obviously they are!

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I have to agree. I am having a blast playing this game. I was up till almost 4 am playing and forgot about the time. And the game world is so beautiful to play in. Maybe its time for me to forget about the so called AAA titles if a game that's truly free to play can be this good. Heck i went as far as checking out another game of theirs Eden Eternal and i like that one too. In that one you can switch classes on the fly With the one character as you lvl up. The genius of it is your one character has slots for all armor and weapon types that you will loot as you lvl. I made a hunter and in two lvl's i will be able to switch to an engineer with guns and switch back to my hunter whenever i want. These two games came out of nowhere for me and i'm glad i found them. Maybe i'll be posting less here now. Two Anime mmo's have got me hooked. I can't believe it. They are just so fun to play and the player's i've met have been really great and helpful.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Wasted 5 seconds opening it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I've been casually playing AK for about a month now and can't stop. I bought over a dozen games during Steams Christams sales and I can't stop playing this free game to play them. Not exactly sure what it is about it, but there is definately a fun facter and not a grind factor. There are a few things I don't understand yet, but for a free game there is a lot to it. I'm having a blast.