Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR for the masses in 2015

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Anyone who is watching this closely knows its not a matter of IF anymore, its a matter of when.

Anyone excited about Crystal Cove?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Not particularly. They're not going to be selling Crystal Cove to the public, are they? Even if they do I won't pick it up as I've thrown a pretty penny at the Developer Kit. I'll just be waiting for the awesome consumer edition to hit the market.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

It's definitely exciting to see VR getting closer to becoming a real thing.

I'm also curious in how many neck injuries that thing is going to result. :P (especially if you combine it with a solid gaming headset, ouch)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224

didn't we learn anything about the dangers of VR from the X-Files?

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I'm also curious in how many neck injuries that thing is going to result. :P (especially if you combine it with a solid gaming headset, ouch)

They have said that the production version will be much more sleak and lighter weight.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

They have said that the production version will be much more sleak and lighter weight.

Ah, that's good news. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301

As long as it doesn't give me motion sickness!

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I just hope these games remember to add a non-stereoscopic mode. Some of use don't have depth perception. 3d movies and games just don't work for me.

All die, so die well.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    The feelies of "1984" are fast approaching.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Yes, Oculus is looking pretty cool. It's a Virtual Reality Display, which I feel is an important distinction from Virtual Reality itself; William Gibson once said something to the effect of Cyberspace being that place you go mentally during a telephone conversation*, I think. Point being: true virtual reality if it ever exists (or already does) will likely be different from the Oculus display (awesome as it looks) and will be very simple.

That being said, I'm looking forward to playing my favorite game of all Time in it.

*edit: sorry, it was Bruce Sterling

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145
    I guess Sony will be showing off their "NEW" VR Headset at GDC this month  (Not the HMZ-T3W ) . Perhaps they will Demo it with an MMORPG. Should be interesting if they do. I think regardless of what Sony shows. VR is the future of MMORPGs....IF, they can 1) Keep it affordable. 2) Eliminate motion sickness. 3) Resolve any presence breaking issues.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

Yes, Oculus is looking pretty cool. It's a Virtual Reality Display, which I feel is an important distinction from Virtual Reality itself; William Gibson once said something to the effect of Cyberspace being that place you go mentally during a telephone conversation*, I think. Point being: true virtual reality if it ever exists (or already does) will likely be different from the Oculus display (awesome as it looks) and will be very simple.

That being said, I'm looking forward to playing my favorite game of all Time in it.

So instead of visual immersion, true virtual reality would be full cognitive immersion by creating new senses for the brain to pick up on, hence fully tricking the mind into thinking the mind and body is in a physically different reality. Sounds like it would compliment the supposedly upcoming "Singularity"

Originally posted by Shoko_Lied

So instead of visual immersion, true virtual reality would be full cognitive immersion by creating new senses for the brain to pick up on, hence fully tricking the mind into thinking the mind and body is in a physically different reality. Sounds like it would compliment the supposedly upcoming "Singularity"

Oh boy... this is gonna end with Keanu having to save our bacon isn't it?

• Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by Shoko_Lied

The Singularity is near...